• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Ambien & Ambien CR - A guide to its composition and effects

donoharm

Greenlighter
Hello everybody, while I know Ambien (zolpidem) isn't technically a benzo, I listed benzo as the prefix, since both z-drugs and benzos have much in common. Also, before somebody flames me for other threads that may have been similar to these, I thought I'd just post another more up-to-date version with my perspective, as well.

So, I've taken Ambien since I was 14 years old due to horrible insomnia. I've tried everything, and ambien is what helps me best. It also has a great deal of recreational value for those who like disassociatives, or who are just looking for a different type of benzo experience.

Ambien IR: Ambien IR is the one most people use recreationally, and is the most commonly prescribed sleeping medication for individuals who have trouble falling asleep. These come in 5 and 10mg dosages, always in the form of a compressed Zolpidem Tartrate tablet. While the most common versions are rectangular in shape, it's not uncommon to find some that are round.

Ambien's recreational effects are very strange, and it's not uncommon to start taking a couple just for fun only to wake up 3 days later with the script gone and a whole chunk of your memory missing. Take this as a warning! If you're going to experiment with ambien recreationally and have no tolerance to it or other benzos and z drugs, work your way up from 5mg. 10mg is fine for most people who are habituated with benzos or other z drugs, but be careful. One side effect of abusing ambien is that you suddenly feel the urge to just take more of it, and you really don't realize how under the influence of the drug you truly are.

In terms of ROA, I never swallow regular ambien. I ALWAYS either parachute or snort it after removing the coating most pills have on them. This can be done by wiping the tabs on a damp (not wet) paper towel until all of the coating (or most) has been removed. [Skipping this step makes it much more different to crush the pill] Dry it off, crush it down, and rail or parachute.....

The onset of effects are usually around 2-3 minutes for snorted, and about 10 minutes for parachuted (much less if on empty stomach). The stronger effects from snorting typically last for around 2 hours, which leads into an almost calm and confused period that lasts for another couple hours until it's completely out of your system.

I do not advise injecting Ambien without a high-quality micron filter, but feel that triple filtering through tight cotton is the closest people can get in many cases. If you MUST inject Ambien, then use clean gear as always, and really make sure the powder is well dissolved. The talc powder in the pills can cause serious damage to the veins and alveoli (part of the lungs), so it's not really a good idea in any situation. The effects are semi-similar to those of snorting, but the onset is absurdly fast (as with any IV prep). You will probably not remember anything you do for an hour until the effects start to wear off, so be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ambien CR: Ambien CR is very rarely used recreationally, and is indicated to help people both fall asleep and then stay asleep for 6-8 hours. Ambien CR is available as either brand-name or (recently) generic, and comes in 6.25 and 12.5mg dosages.

The composition of Ambien CR has to be understood if somebody wants to find a way to increase the rate at which the drug enters their system. Ambien CR is a 2-layer tablet with a coating similar to that on the IR version. The two layers are about equal in size, with one yellow and one white. While many people at first believed the white was the CR layer, i believe the yellow is actually the instant release, and have experimented around with both layers separately to substantiate these claims. The instant release is probably around like 7.5 mg (just guessing) and I assume the other 5mg are set in a formula that allows for the release of like 1mg per hour. (no idea on this one, just hypothesizing)

After scraping off the coating in the fashion I explained earlier, you can very easily split the pill by using your nail to just score it through the side (if pill is laying flat on table, split right in center of top layer and bottom layer horizontally). Sometimes, I'll snort the IR part and pop the CR layer, or take the CR layer for a longer recreational experience. The CR layer is VERY difficult to breakdown, and can get a bit gummy if not fully powdered, so be careful with snorting it, and NEVER inject it!

Hope this thread has some value and can help some people who are trying to find some info on Ambien / Ambien CR

Ambien sex is where it's at..

Well hello dono, sry I arrived so late to this post but seeing as you didn't get a single response better late than never, maybe? I personally have a fascinating love affair with zolp (ambien) and can surely offer any advice/knowledge you may be seeking on it, so let's see what you're looking for, going to read the post now..%)

O well now I see why no one responded, you are giving a sort of sermon on your experience and views of ambien, which I find has a few true facts but is mostly flimsy opinion and taste on the substance.

Anyways I may as well throw in my 2 cents: just stick to your average benzo's folks, no reason to use ambien recreationally unless u r trying to beat drug tests and aren't able to take a trusty diazepam, lorazepam, whateverthepam u want. Ambien leaves the system within 14 hours, and is not tested for on your standard law ordered lab tests, but it has the capability of showing a false positive for benzo's which is so unlikely due to it's rapid half-life elimination, I have tested this in a drug court with serious paneled lab tests, it's out in 12 hours folks and offers great benzo mimicking effects for those who can't actually take a benzo for a urine test.

However there is 1 benzo I am fond of, ativan, whose rapid elimination also proves worthy of using in a situation as I just explained, I have both read a study on how it is nearly undetectable on a standard lab test for methadone patients after 7-18 hours or something, and have verified that it does not show a positive for benzo's after only 24 hours, by a court mandated laboratory urine test. Although I feel safer sticking with ambien as it can only trigger a false positive which gets thrown out in a lab test...Also I find zolpidem more fun or goofy than ativan's chilled out anxiety killer effects.

Fun combo's are definitely cannabis, highly recommend a few cones once you are familiar with the full range of zolpidem effects, I don't recommend alcohol as it seems to induce blackouts to those who have not mastered ambien space, I usually do imbibe on a couple glasses of wine after I pop 10 or 15mg of ambien, but again it took me 2 years before I had full control of the effects and could bend them to my will, as sick as that sounds.

It took me a solid 2 years before I could fully control the effects of ambien, learned what dose I would risk amnesia, when I would act way too wierd socially, etc. I still love ambien and sex under the influence of zolpidem is a goofy, fuktastic experience that is the highlight of the compound. But like I said before, this drug is not up to par with the benzo's, and carries just as high a tolerance/addiction risk as that risky class.

Be careful, ambien can cause severe blackouts, even with a mental tolerance I would never go above 20mg oral, physical tolerance builds so fast you should space use out to at least a day or two in between a single dose, redosing is useless. Wouldn't touch a time released version either. Injecting and snorting are a BIG NO NO, unless u r a sickly desparate iv freak and have nothing to lose, look forward to other than fucking your body up with pharmie trash..

Last edited:
I agree with the above:

Ambien/Zolpidem is a strange high, its an acquired taste/buzz. In the beginning I found the effects strange/scary and avoided them for a year or two.
I even used shitty anti histamine OTC tabs for ages even though i had Zolpidem in my possession.
Then at some point i realized their recreation potential.

I started to enjoy the visuals where everything in the darkness would take on a form, like faces and such and the best was lying in bed perfectly still with eyes closed felt like floating in zero G or on a magic carpet where you can lean in whatever direction with your mind.

But tolerance builds so quickly and you redose with even realizing. I ended up in hospital for fear of OD where i had taken 10 tabs. I was actually safe, due to tolerance, but family was freaked out.

The worst though is the memory loss, sleep walking, sleep driving and dumb decisions. I had "come to" many times doing stims on at 11am and the only linking memory is going to sleep the previous night, no idea how i ended up at a friends house after.

And i agree with all above :p

I've taken all benzos, as i write this i'm on around 2mg alprazolam and 20mg valium (the 1st 2 pills were T-5h or so) and found half a beer opened for 3 days and shotgunned it to hit the benzos. I haven't slept for 2+ days i'm going insane (not posting my life story, doesn't matter i'll end up down the drain soon, 10 years being medicated and sick).

So like 4yrs ago i was much healthier and my doc which is basically my dealer had me try Ambien. Immediatelly i bluelighted it saw the good news. SO yes, for me just 10mg made things shine, closed eyes visuals, amazing. And mixed with alcohol (recently had started drinking more, ended up alcoholic later) it was the best, fuck any other drug for social events. The problem is i drank so much, that 10mg hit, and once i went 20mg blacked out of what i was doing like you guys said.

The worst was one new years eve it happened i recall nothing, friends had to take care of me and after stopped talking to me. I woke up on the floor of our house with my face all fked up i thought i got into a fight but apparently i had a "Jackass" moment where i jumped into a spiked bush, could have been blinded.

TLDR: Zolpi is amazing. Be careful.