• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Alprazolam vs Valium vs Clonazepam

Alprazolam has an amine so it should easily form water soluable salts. That makes it a good choice for people wanting to shoot them. Filter out the filler with dH2O and add tartaric acid (and heroin if you wish). You can shoot them together (but you might not wake up)...

To OP:

I'm quite sure the main reason for benzo covcersion charts to exist is to give an idea about the equivalent dosing when/if swapping to another benzo.

Yes, it's possible.

Morphinator said:
Diazepam is pretty much crap, I can take about 130-150 mg and the effects aren't as nice as any of the above.

I adore Diazepam. Compared to Temaz it gives me much more of a euphoric feeling.

yea i think valium is the only benzo that is actually recreational. i know ppl love their xanax but its never done much for me except make me feel depressed and shitty.

I have access to every benzo, and xanax is hands down my recreational favorite. I can wake up in the morning, take 4mg and feel like it is about to be the best day ever :) Valium is relaxing, but almost too sleepy for me. Clonazepam is hard to describe. It's fun, but hey, everyone deserves a favorite.

medicine cabinet said:
yea i think valium is the only benzo that is actually recreational. i know ppl love their xanax but its never done much for me except make me feel depressed and shitty.

That's unusual, you must be atypical when it comes to alprazolam. It's the only common BZD that's got axiolytic and to a smaller degree anti-depressive effects.

I need too much diazepam to get therapeutic effects but it's effective. It's the only one aside from the fast acters like triazolam and midazolam that will get me 'high,' probably because of the muscle relaxant properties.

Of the three, clonazepam with alprazolam (2:1 clon/alp) is my choice.

popcornplayr said:
Xanax is no doubt stronger than valium and Klonopin

Yeah, it doesn't all of the same pharmacological effects of vals and klons, notably the same anticonvulsant activity on brain waves and muscle relaxant properties (of diaz), but it's also dose dependent---1mg alp = 10mg diaz...but clon is I think about 4 times more potent GABA-wise as far as equivalency charts go than 1mg of alp.

Also, for those H/methodone folks, the combination with clon greatly intensifies the effects of the opiates. Once someone slipped me a methadone tab (and I was /am on daily clon)---I was beyond the nods---total dreamland. Then again, everyone's different...I was first prescribed alp with amitryptyline when I was 13 or 14. Alp won't get me high anymore unless I combo it.

Everyone's got their favs!

Dizz28 said:
I switch from about 4mg Xanax taken about 6x per day to 4mgs Klonopin taken 6x per day.

Klonopin mg for mg is much stronger than Xanax but just doesn't feel as good for some reason. This chart shows the efficeincy, half life and equivelent to Diazepam which is the basis all Benzos are compared by. As you can see Klonopin is approx 2x as strong as the same dose Xanax.

Hope you like this chart, took me some effort to make

Benzodiazepine: --- Approx. ---approx.Dose Equivalent
----------------------- Half-Life(hours) - to 5 mg Diazepam*

Alprazolam --------- 14 -------------- .5mg
Bromazepam ------ 12 -------------- 5mg
Chlordiazepoxide - 15 -------------- 20mg
Clobazam ---------- 18 -------------- 15mg
Clonazepam -------- 35 -------------- .5mg
Clorazepate ------- 60 --------------- 7.5mg
Diazepam ---------- 32 ---------------- 5mg
Flunitrazepam** -- 25 ---------------- 1mg
Flurazepam --------- 70 ---------------- 20mg
Lorazepam ---------- 12 ---------------- 2mg
Nitrazepam ---------- 28 ---------------- 5mg
Oxazepam ---------- 8 ---------------- 30mg
Temazepam --------- 10 -------------- 20mg
Triazolam ------------- 2 -------------- .25mg

one I didn't mention because it's rarely Prescribed in the States and is used for pre-op anxiety is:

Midazolam 2–5 (IV) 1–3 mg(approx.dose equivalent to 5 mg intravenous Diazepam)

** this is nolonger made in the U.S. due to it's "date rape" BS. it is still made by roche but in other contries and now contains a very bright purple dye mixed with the pill in order to turn a drink a bright purple color indicationg it's use.

Drink clear drinks and you should be fine ladies

seriously?? 2mg ativan = .5mg xanax?? whaat?? are you sure about this?? i thought 2mg ativan was a high dose and .5mg xanax was a low dose of each respective drug.

^He's not sure. As he said, thats a chart he made. Its by no means accurate - no offense dizz, but benzo equivalencies are rather subjective. For him, maybe 2mg ativan = 0.5 mg xanax. But for most people, it doesn't; And in all reality, that chart is just one person's opinion .

I m very familiar with the benzo equivalency charts but they are not 100% accurate by any means. The pharmacologies are different, and more so between different subjects. The pharmokinetics are generally accurate though. I do hold a BS in Pharmacology and one in Molecular Biology, along with post-grad Chemical Engineering.

Everyone has their opinion and sharing them is great. You can"t just start quoting any literature that is not substantiated. Those equivalencies were put out some time ago and do not take into account individual conditions and endocrine discrepancies.

Arguing and debating are always welcome to me, though. Bring em on...you can"t learn if you don"t exchange ideas and opinions.

Newmoonrecord said:
seriously?? 2mg ativan = .5mg xanax?? whaat?? are you sure about this?? i thought 2mg ativan was a high dose and .5mg xanax was a low dose of each respective drug.

It can be the other way around....it all depends on the diagnosis, the patient"s bloodwork and metabolism (not referring to elimination when talking about metabolism here).

^^ Your chart is wrong, sorry buddy. I just replied to you in another thread where you listed this chart which you just made up yourself.

Clonazepam is absolutely NOT 2x more potent than alprazolam. They are equipotent, meaning 1 mg clonaz = 1 mg alpraz (which both equal 10 mg diazepam). In fact, alprazolam is very very (and I mean very, very) slightly more potent - though the difference is negligable. That is by weight (mg for mg).

As far as power and strength, you are wrong again. Clonazepam is NOT AT ALL "much stronger" than alprazolam. Alprazolam is a more powerful sedative at equal doses, while clonazepam is a slightly stronger anxiolytic at equal doses. They are more or less, equal. Of all the anxiolytic benzos, these two are likely the strongest anxiolytics (though bromazepam can give both a run for their money, despite it being less potent by weight - remember though, potency means nothing, its the strength of the actual drug).

The hypnotics (triazolam, nitrazepam, flunitrazepam, temazepam, midazolam, flurazepam, flutoprazepam, nimetazepam, and brotizolam) are all more powerful than alpraz, clonaz, and all other anxiolytic benzos - be it for sedation, anxiety relief, anticonvulsive action, etc. These are the "Corleone family" within the families of benzos.

1mg of Xanax or Klonopin equals 20mg of Valium. 0.5 mg of Xanax or Klonopin is 10 mg of Valium. Everything else is more or less right.

Newmoonrecord said:

The chart doesn't compare ativan doses to xanax doses, although you could infer the the equivelency to each other. It shows you what's about equal to a 5mg dose of Valium

And once again, I didn't make it up Johanne and they aren't my "opinions"

I really don't want to start a bitchfest here ;)

All I'm saying is that the equivalency charts (there are more than the one that you posted, and they differ to an extent) are all subjective. They aren't quantitative to figure in what each BZD is prescribed for. Clonazepam does not have antidepressive effects, while alprazolam and lorazepam do. Diazepam has muscle relaxant properties which can make some people prefer it more. Also, diazepam's metabolites are chemically very similar to those of flunitrazepam and nitrazepam.

It's all subjective. For example, the equivalency for two BZD's from the charts would be totally incorrect for different medical conditions.

Well, enough of the argumentative stuff...I don't like to argue (unless I'm arguing with someone with the same backround knowledge).

ANYWAY, THIS IS ACTUALLY A THREAD ON THE RECREATIONAL EFFECTS AND WHO PREFERS WHICH OF THE THREE TO GET OFF :)

Let's get back to sharing what what we enjoy =D

^ xanax and ativan have anti-depressant effects for you? damn.. i never noticed any with those two or with librium or klonopin, but when i first took valium my mood/depression became MUCH MUCH better and my outlook on life was much more optimistic, and it still is (still on valium) but not as much as when i first took it, but still works much better for helping mood than any other benzo, especially ativan or xanax, xanax just makes me tired and kinda drunk feeling, ativan makes me slightly less calm than valium but does nothing for my mood, klonopin does nothing really except make me pissy all the time and very irritable.

enoughorangejuice? said:
^ xanax and ativan have anti-depressant effects for you? damn.. i never noticed any with those two or with librium or klonopin, but when i first took valium my mood/depression became MUCH MUCH better and my outlook on life was much more optimistic, and it still is (still on valium) but not as much as when i first took it, but still works much better for helping mood than any other benzo, especially ativan or xanax, xanax just makes me tired and kinda drunk feeling, ativan makes me slightly less calm than valium but does nothing for my mood, klonopin does nothing really except make me pissy all the time and very irritable.

I was just wondering how much diazepam are you on daily and for how long? Basically because I can just ask for pretty much any reasonable amount of either diazepam or alprazolam. I'm currently on 20mg diaz./daily but considering doubling to 40mg which is something like 2mg Xanax, because of my benzo tolerance from 60mg temazepam/daily. I have found Xanax to be enjoyable, but like many have previously said; it's primary duration is short, and therapuetically speaking, for acute anxiety. I didn't find clonazepam to be all that great theraputically or recreationally, after a year or so of use, so it's out of the picture for me. I prefer Valium/diazepam for it's longer duration, maybe 1/2 of my waking day. Most say it's supposed to act longer, but again, I attribute this to my established BZD tolerance. I think 40mg of Val daily would do the trick both for anxiety throughout the day, plus it'd fuck me up nice when I wanted to ;), isn't that half the reason we're on these damn things anyway :D.

^^ hey, i'm on 20mg / day of valium, i was on 2-3mg a day of klonopin, and i think i'm going to ask my doc to raise my valium script to 30mg a day or to Rx me a sleep-aid like sonata/ambien/lunesta/etc for insomnia b/c i use the valium for insomnia too which is good and bad, it helps me sleep great but then i dont have enough during the day for my severe SAD, GAD and panic disorder....

i've been on benzos for about 3.5-4 years. klonopin was the benzo i was on the most, probably 2.5-3 years, valium i've been on for about a week now (just switched to a new doc) but i've been on valium in the past for maybe a total of 3-4 months, ativan for a total of 2-3 months, librium for about 6-8 months.

IVXLCDM - how do you like temazepam for insomnia?