Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Allegiances to the brand name?

haste

Bluelight Crew
How much of a product snob are you? Do you pledge your allegiance to the more expensive, well known brands when shopping - or are you more open to give less known brands a go?

I'm abit of both and it depends on what I'm purchasing.

When it comes to electrical goods, especially audio/visual I always side on the more proven brands - especially audio, whether it be home or for the car. I have found with audio you really do get what you pay for.

When it comes to clothes I don't care what the brand is as long as it takes my fancy - hell most of my clothes are pruchased form Target ;) I've never been a fashion follower, but I never had to being in the metal scene - metal tshirt and black jeans, it doesn't get any simpler hehe. I think growing up in a small country town also had its impact on me as we were oblivious to all things fashion and what was "in"

Food, I seem to stick to the names brands - I don't know, I've had no name brand stuff before and even though its all made by the same mob, its like they leave an ingredient out. Just to reduce it to a lower level. But having said this, back when I was in Sydeny in '90 I worked for a lollie factory and the same things went into the no name brands and their own brand. Maybe its a psychological thing with me.

So what rules your wallet?

I'm a bit of both, for basic items like black singlets, black pants, t shirts, socks etc its target all the way. but I'm also a bit of a brand whore and will sometimes buy designer clothes8o 8) 8o
but that way you have a nice mix right....???

oh I also forgot to add that I tend to be an alcohol snob too - always electing for the more expensive brands, especially when it comes to red wine =D

I would have to say that I am a bit of both as well.

Food, well I tend to buy all branded stuff, besides things like sugar, and stuff like that, I can't the difference in stuff like that.

Clothes, well I use to be big on brands, that was when I was living with my parents, and I had my whole wage to spend on clothes and going out, not anymore, I still buy some branded stuff dont' get me wrong, but as long as it looks good, I will wear it.

Shoe/Runners on the other hand, I always were good branded shoes, you need, especially when you are dancing all night, you need some go damn support.

Electrical Goods, I would have to say that I usually go for the better brand.

=D

i'm a bit of both worlds too. when it comes to clothes i usually buy cheap stuff from jayjays or kmart or op shops. although if i see something nice that takes my fancy i don't mind paying that bit extra.

when it comes to food i usually buy brand names but there are some products where i don't think you can really taste the difference. but haste got it right too, sometimes they just don't taste right:\

I’m not half as bad as I used to be - nowdays I guess I sit more middle of the road.

Clothes – I tend to shop middle of the road places nowdays with a few more expensive pieces. I’ve taken to going to Target and such for singlets, socks and things like that tho. I buy all my underwear at a boutique because the lady who makes my corsets owns it.

Shoes – I am a total and utter shoe devotee but I limit myself to one or two really nice pairs a year and get the rest from normal shoe stores... I don’t shop at places like spendless tho. (I guess I'm a brand whore here)

Accessories - I have Dior, Gucci and DKNY sunglasses, bags and even a hat somewhere, my reading glasses have CK frames and I have the most gorgeous Louis Vuitton travel trunk (that has only been used once since I got it). Most of my jewellery is custom made for me. (brand whore here too)

Electrical goods – I go for value for money, I look for what I want out of the item and buy accordingly although I do admit to sticking to the better known brands there too.

Food – I like to shop at the markets and butchers but it’s not always practical. I don’t buy no name brands tho.

Alcohol – I buy what I like and I do have expensive tastes, although I do have some lower range things I like.

hmm... I feel like shopping now :)

/me puts hand up

complete brand whore here. pity my wallet doesn't match my tastes :/

I'd rather not buy clothes than buy cheap ones with unrecognisable brands (socks and knickers the exceptions...target and kmart all the way). I have to change that though...I can't just not buy clothes!!

food I always buy brands as well. even for flour and sugar and stuff. stupid I know, I just can't help it. I'm a product of the the marketing and advertising companies. they love me (I'm very brand loyal as well)

^miss apple, if you buy clothes with unrecognisable brands, or clothes that don't have obvious labels and wear them with one or two expensive pieces or accessories you get away with looking more like a brand whore than you can afford to be;)
I forgot to talk about food before, there's nothing wrong with no name and generic brand food, but I like organic stuff. prefer to take a healthier option.

well it depends. i absolutely fucking abhor blatant, pointless consumerism, so if there's no reason to pay extra for a brand name, i definitely won't be doing it. i buy as much of my clothing as i can (which actually isn't much, considering i'm so tall) from op-shops, and the rest of it is just whatever i like that i can find cheap in melbourne - most of my stuff comes from myer (on special) or dangerfield and revival (a melbourne-owned brand).

regarding other things, i just try to buy what's best - though it's good to look around. i'll need to buy another dvd player soon enough, and rather than just going with the 'best' brand, i've looked around and will probably purchase a budget dec brand - it's as good quality as any of the other players which are double its price. that said, i will often buy other expensive consumer goods (technics turntables; sony stereo etc.), but i try to keep it to a minimum, when i can.

consumerism sucks :p

The only thing the seperates cheap DVD players to the more expensive ones are features in most cases - there's not alot that goes into the production of a DVD player compared to say a VCR. If all you want is a player that plays DVD's with the basic functions, then a cheap brand is just as good as an expensive one.

I'm also in the market for a new one and my snobbish tastes in audio/visual will drop in this case.

Well considering I work in a department store, in the electrical section, I know better than to buy cheap electronic goods, mostly because I have to deal with irate customers coming back saying that brand xx is a piece of crap and why didn't you tell me about it? So with electrical goods I will always pay more for quality, because even if there isn't a noticeable difference in say audio or visual quality, its more about the quality of manufacture so it has a much greater chance of not breaking down a couple of months after the manufacturer's warranty period runs out.

Clothes, I like some name brand stuff, but mostly I get generic stuff. Again the advantage of working in a department store is that you know when all the sales are on and can usually get what you want fairly cheap :)

Food, I generally don't buy no-name brands, but everything else is fair game. I like to eat well, and I usually can within my budget.

Alcohol: now alcohol is different. I really like some of the more expensive beers, and have gone out of my way to find them sometimes, but not for just general drinking. Local beer as long as it's not VB or Resch's is all good for me :)

CB :)

Originally posted by haste
The only thing the seperates cheap DVD players to the more expensive ones are features in most cases - there's not alot that goes into the production of a DVD player compared to say a VCR. If all you want is a player that plays DVD's with the basic functions, then a cheap brand is just as good as an expensive one.

you've missed my point, mr haste :)

i'm a film student, so dvd player features are *damn* important to me - the dec ones include all the features that most big-brand basic players have for double the price. they're not amazing, but they include far more than a total entry-level one.

if i could afford a high-end player, obviously i'd have to buy a better brand, but for a reasonable set of features; multi-region; near perfect picture quality, dec is the shit. seriously, you're around melbourne, you should go check them out (there's one along high street near northcote, iirc).

hehe my apologies 1234-san ^_^ ;)

I've been to DEC in northcote - they have some really cheap stuff there.

I'm a brand whore as well for almost everything except clothes. I'll wear almost any label for clothes - with the exception of suits which I buy from only one major label.

oh..I'm a bit of a wine label whore myself - I only drink grange ;)

i love brands for clothes, but only cos the style of the clothes i like tends to be ridiculously expensive. pity i'm so poor its not funny so i have to buy stuff from jays jays and supre. oh well, i cant bitch about what i dont have.

food i prefer brand things except for stuff like flour and things that dont really matter. the more expensive tastes better.

as for electrical items, i wont buy anything but the best. cos items like dvd players and digi cams etc, ur gonna want to keep them for a long time, so get the best one and u'll get more mileage out of it and it wont become obsolete so quickly.

i agree. we just bought a computer... we had a choice between a $650 one and a $1700 and we're going for the latter. yaaayyy i get a dvd burner!
um but yes... with clothes i like to buy jeans which are a brand name, just because i wear them heaps and don't want to wear them out too quick...
but especially with tops and stuff... brands don't really matter...
as for food, i prefer brand names.. only cos they have a better wrapper/container thing on them... but yes. not too fussed.
it really all comes down to money

I couldn't give a shit about brand names for anything really. If i find something thats cheap but works for me ie black and gold flour (as a food example) i'll keep buying it *shrugs*

I stay away from brands i know that do "evil" to the world ...( nike, nestle etc )and don't contribute on a positive global scale and *try* doing my little bit ;)

Maybe the only thing i do go for brand wise is shoes...i do love colorado over any other because i have found their quality and comfort over ride the other brands that i have tried anyway :)

I dont like wearing clothes that are branded with the brand on them... i find that really taccy and "sceney." I always buy things in special, a lot of my wardrobe is clothes ive baught on special, at markets or whatever. Apart from new jeans i have on layby, i really like my lee... although i hardly wear jeans so thats not the point.

Food, i dont really care. I stick to what i know but ill go no names stuff if it tastes ok... but stuff like baked beans (never get coles baked beans, they SUCK) hehe... watties or spc. um. I think im A "specials" buyer... ill buy stuff that is on special. Yes. Cheap. Im stuck in the student mentality. Im probably following mums footsteps. Oh GOD!

But yeah. I dont care too much about brands. But i spose id buy a brand over a no brand. Especially with food. Not so much with clothes. But with electronical id definately buy a brand...

^^^ how scattered was what i just wrote.

Last edited:
Hehe, my brand snobbery mainly extends to Hello Kitty type stuff.....if its not Sanrio or San-X it's just not that special. :\

I'm the first to get all excited about designer threads [my Aunty / Uncle gave me a once off designer bag for my birthday - - - I almost sqeazed them to death], but that's all it is to me.
Excitement, and a lil' bit of harmless elitism.
Makes you feel good.
I buy prolly' 85% of my stuff from Op Shops [OoOh, living in the haughty South Eastern suburbs is wonderful at these times, hehe] - - - anyone for a $3 pair of shoes? ;)