• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

alcoholism thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
echo off said:
ever been drinking and reached the point where you know you had enough and stopped, only to realize there's still at least 2 drinks still going through your system? yeh i had that last week... wasn't pretty. was making myself some food when BAM the dizzyness kicked in. and i mean dizzyness like if i threw up my mind thought it would float away rather than land anywhere. so after falling over twice just trying to make it to bed i'm now on a diet. i like being a little tipsy, but i aint going back to topsy-turvy. that shit was nasty

that's what kills me, I'll think I know my limit quit drinking hazily remember getting drunker in the next half hour or so, black out, and drink a lot more.. I've been a lot better lately though I haven't done anything truly stupid since probably last september. I still get pretty drunk 3 or so days a week.

I drink 6-12 beers a day, Im 26 and everyone know I like to drink. I usually stop drinking when I start lifting weights. I dont think Im an alcoholic, I just enjoy drinking but who knows. Just felt like opening up a bit, the darkside feels very warm to me...like if I can be myself and open.

Fucking alcohol, I hate it so incredibly hard! I have been so near ending my life while drunk. But never would have sober. Really hitting the bottom helped me a lot and after I found psychedelics my life really turned around for the better.

Changing to beer and ending my "one bottle of whiskey a day-habit" was the major step. Some intense WD symptoms at the hospital after crashing my car while drunk helped out to... that was a trip in it own rights.8(

A beer a day keeps the booze away. Cutting back is the major step! Helps with the alcohol-induced depression after about a week or so....

Don't you have any problems with anxiety on psychedelics? When I was drinking, psychs without alcohol would end in massive anxiety attacks.

Anxiety on psychedelics (for me at least) could be severe, but it´s for a good cause and often leaves you enlightened and in peace. And usually only last during the trip.

Alcoholic depression lasts life.... could be the evil circle, drink some, feel good and then sober up and get more depressed for whatever reason....

vizman said:
I drink 6-12 beers a day, Im 26 and everyone know I like to drink. I usually stop drinking when I start lifting weights. I dont think Im an alcoholic, I just enjoy drinking but who knows. Just felt like opening up a bit, the darkside feels very warm to me...like if I can be myself and open.

Yeah, exercise is great for distracting me when I feel like drinking. Welcome to BL!

---

I had a pretty emotionally unfulfilling last night, and my thoughts weren't too neurotic before going to bed. Today has been hell though. I got up at noon and for the past three hours all I've wanted to do is drink. I was pretty much alcoholic at the end of last summer, but I've managed to cut it down. I've only had 9 beers in the past 2 mos. and I'm really proud of that, yet if I had any alcohol around, I'd drink until I blacked out. :(

I'm going to hang out at a friend's tonight, and he wants to do some codeine with me. I've never done opiates before, and I'm only considering it in this case 'cause they're free. I feel like if I do, it'll just be another problematic coping mechanism though.

:!

fuck it... Last night I was shitfaced.

"Forgot" my black leather jacket to nightclub ... Damn, there are my glasses too I think.

Tomorrow I need to call there and ask if they can find it. I just have difficulties to keep my stuff together when drinking.

I also thought seriously killing my self , drowning in the very cold river. Just hadn't the guts.

I harrassed some cars, I don't know was that too bad. And got into fight with my friends friends.

I first took good grip of him, lifted him up and as my feet where in alcohol mode, we both fell to ground pretty hard. His knuckels opened in the asphalt and I got some minor injuries, just some pain in legs etc.

Right After that
He , shitfaced as me, got angry about that fucking miserable event and just slapped me into my face. THat hurt a bit, but then it was settled down.

Inside there was some strong vodka, but I did had enough.

Soon after my sober friend drove me home. Nasty hangouver it was....

They didn't answer in the nightclub yet... But I left a message in their answering machine.

I hope they call back. I NEED my glasses!

Okay, I drank 3 litres of vodka in two nights. Yesterday I was so drunk, I vomited all the way down my stairs and fell asleep in the neighbours' garden and vomited on their flowers. They called the fucking cops.
It's been awhile since I got so pissed... I must quit vodka before quiting any other kind of drink. Vodka turns me mad.

Let me preface my following comments with this: I'm drinking this very minute as well as doing opiates. I have been through the AA program several times and always though it was total crap ...the "Higher Power" and all that.
That said ....I have become convinced that the only way to STAY sober ( if that's what you want) is to find the much vaunted "Serenity" that AA preaches. I'm 47. I'm working on it. I have always been an atheist until recently ( no, I have'nt "found God" -- but I'm looking!) I used to believe there was no God and I was glad there wasn't. Now, I'm still not convinced there is ..but I'm hoping there is. I think it's about "faith". There is no "KNOWING". If that makes sense.

When you hit middle age ...when everybody around you is dead, dying, in jail or insane ...you tend to become open to possibilities that you considered ridiculous years before. When you look around at the trash heap that is your house, your teeth are loose and falling out ...it dawns on you that perhaps you DO NOT have all the answers. Maybe you're not the genious you thought you were ...maybe those people in AA aren't as dumb and weak-willed as you thought they were.

Just out of academic curiosity, has anyone here successfully gone from a pattern of destructive binges (eg, blackouts, nasty hangovers, regretted actions, drunk driving, etc.) to moderation (2 to 4 standard standard drinks in a session, occasional sessions)?

I don't think that we can accept dogmatically that abstinence is THE ONLY solution.

ebola

ebola? said:
Just out of academic curiosity, has anyone here successfully gone from a pattern of destructive binges (eg, blackouts, nasty hangovers, regretted actions, drunk driving, etc.) to moderation (2 to 4 standard standard drinks in a session, occasional sessions)?

I don't think that we can accept dogmatically that abstinence is THE ONLY solution.

ebola
I think alcohol is completely useless when drunk in that low amounts.
I want to get high, if I am taking a drug or drink, and that means I need to drink atleast 8 drinks.

I have tried that 2-4 drinks , but I have learned that it is just a waste.

Lucky me, I got my jacket today and glasses are at my friends place.

I am a bit relieved... Didn't lost this time too much.

I did 20-24 drinks on Friday and 7 drinks on Saturday. I feel a bit hangover still.

ebola? said:

I did drink like that about a year ago, and now I drink twice a month. I do drink alot more than 4 drinks per session, though, but at least it doesn't spill over into the week days. For me, it's 14 days between drinking sessions - it's that, or nothing.

There's a concept called kindling that is interesting in this regard; the continued low-intensity stimulation of the brain through alcohol, that in the long run will take on its own life and after years will flare up into alcoholism. I would love to know more about kindling, so if anyone knows something about it, please post. Otherwise, I will make a new post in Otherdrugs.

Blackout- if I've understood you correctly kindling is when withdrawals from alcohol become more severe each time you stop drinking. Personally I believe that I may have suffered from this, and that many other people (most non-alcoholics) also do. Let me explain.

Although scientific research is inconclusive on the subject (and I am by no means an expert), from what I have read I believe that many peoples hangovers are in fact a very mild form of withdrawal. If you only feel nausea and a headache after drinking, then that is just a hangover, but if you have anxiety, sweating, insomnia, nightmares the following night, and of course sweating, shaking, hallucinations etc then these are wd symptoms. Yet they can be felt after a single drinking session. I can attest to that through my own experiences.

When I was 18 I went to the Reading festival, and got drunk all day for five days and five nights. When I got home I had what I believe to be a mild form of wd, which culminated in my first panic attack. After that I always suffered some form of anxiety after heavy drinking. I think this is because the first withdrawal led to semi-permanent changes within my brain, so that it would always 'expect' more alcohol when I was drunk. The same or similar changes caused my tolerance to increase significantly after that point.

Heavy drinking (but never more than two nights in a row) caused this to gradually get worse, (this is kindling I think), but it was perfectly bearable until the summer just gone when I drank daily for three months. After that I needed to withdraw using librium; I could not do it on my own as the panic attacks kept causing me to drink. I was not drinking to get drunk, just to stop the panic attacks, as they were unbearable.

Now when I drink heavily, I get shaking, muscle spasms, insomnia, nightmares, hardcore anxiety and sometimes mild hallucinations the next day. I think this is a culmination of all my years drinking and especially the two binges. It is perhaps unsurprising that I get such bad after effects when I can, and have, drank 50 standard drinks or more per session. I believe a lot of people suffer from a less severe manifestation of kindling, which explains why a lot of peoples' hangovers get worse as they get older. This could, of course, be explained by other factors, it's just a theory I have.

However, I have also found that if you do not drink, the changes in the brain which have caused this withdrawal slowly reverse over time. If I don't drink for a month, the symptoms won't be as bad. Therein lies your idea of drinking only once every two weeks, which may well cause a slow reversal of the brain changes, or at least stop them getting worse. You have said before that following the 'once every two weeks rule' stops anxiety and tolerance issues getting out of hand.

Well, I admire you for sticking to it and I seriously plan to follow a similar pattern of drinking at one stage. At the moment I keep fucking up when the weekend comes around. I always end up drinking at least once a week. Still, it is an improvement from drinking every day.

Spurs_1882 said:
However, I have also found that if you do not drink, the changes in the brain which have caused this withdrawal slowly reverse over time. If I don't drink for a month, the symptoms won't be as bad. Therein lies your idea of drinking only once every two weeks, which may well cause a slow reversal of the brain changes, or at least stop them getting worse. You have said before that following the 'once every two weeks rule' stops anxiety and tolerance issues getting out of hand.

Yup. However, I have heard some scientists say that kindling is in fact irreversible, although I think these experiments were done on rats.

That means, if you drink heavily as a teenager, stop, then take up drinking again at 35, you will end up at the same stage of kindling as when you stopped. Like if you had a finite number of free tickets to the beer show, and when you run out, brain damage occurs and you're a fullblown alcie.

Sticking to the plan is hard, but it is the only alternative to abstinence for me. The days after a session are filled with fantasies of benders and binges, mind tricks that goes "one beer would taste so good...Man has drank alcohol since the dawn of time, one beer wouldn't hurt, etc..."

I think it is reversible, but you will quickly go back to where you once were. So, if you quit for six months and got drunk once you might be OK, but if you got drunk three times in a week then you'd likely have the same reactions as six months ago. This is IME.

In my view, from where I am at the moment (recovering alcoholics may of course beg to differ) anything is preferable to abstinence, except full-blown alcoholism. Which is why I want to follow a similar pattern to you Blackout. I imagine the hardest thing would be dealing with spontaneous drinking occasions. For example, if one Friday your best friend decided to have a party, yet you hadn't planned for it so you'd got drunk the weekend before, in a less fun drinking environment. It would take an iron will not to say, "breaking the plan once won't do any harm"...

Status
Not open for further replies.