• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Alcohol vs opiates: Which withdrawals are worse?

FunctionalJnkieGrl

Bluelighter
Just curious if any of you know based on personal experience. I've been addicted to both--but more so to opiates/opioids.

Last edited:
imo id have to say opiate withdrawal is worse or was for me. At the height of my dope sickness I truly did not care if I died☠

try both at the same time. But the Wizard hit the nail on the head. Though i have heard of people dying from H withdrawals too so equally dangerous I guess.

I think a lot of people forget that HOW addicted you are is going to make a difference. Alcohol withdrawals can kill you, but there's many other factors to consider imo, like kindling, how long one's been addicted, etc. If you're only mildly addicted to booze it's probably going to be easier to come off it vs someone who's been addicted to heroin for decades. Whereas someone who's been a raging alcoholic for years is likely going to face worse and potentially dangerous withdrawals vs someone who say has a minor pill habit.

No way that would be possible for me because if I was withdrawing from one I"d definitely be using the other to relieve my symptoms.
happened to me a few times. Even after i had alcohol in my system or as i was drinking it while smoking hits of H in between i still ended up having a seizure few min later. But that was a long time ago and i will never walk that road again. But its a slippery slope.

Depends what you're into.

Alcohol- extreme anxiety malaise with occasional moments of sheer terror, seizures.

Opioids--You feel very sick like the flu. You might have a terrible compulsion move your legs. Nausea, diarrhea

I really think that Alcohol is worse in general, but it is also significantly more harmful to the brain. One can die from seizures in this instance.

I've had benzo withdrawal alcohol withdrawal and a conclusion, I couldn't decipher my dreams from reality, I wasn't right for weeks hallucinating hearing voices
I wouldn't wish it on any one except a select few, so almost no one, I beleve it can cause skitsphrena, ( tyop I can't spell ) if u repeat this hell process. I didn't think i was gonna get my mind back, it took over a month to feel normal again, I'm glad I'm not Rxed benzos anymore

Having had several years of dependency on both, alcohol was worse for me. It actually scared me to the point of seeking medically supervised detox a few times. Never experienced full blown delirium tremens, so I know that there was worse waiting for me had I continued. With opiates, I got pretty familiar with what to expect. My DOC was oxycodone so that's the opiate I've withdrawn from the most. It got to the point where I didn't really fear withdrawals. Obviously I wanted to avoid it, and certainly wasn't happy about it, but I knew the symptoms and their timeline so it became routine. Insomnia was worse with opiates, but otherwise I found it relatively bearable.

I only got that bad on alcohol a handful of times because, well, it was just too easy to drink every day and postpone the inevitable. All things considered, alcohol withdrawal had worse physical pain for me, worse stomach discomfort, more difficulty eating and a genuine fear for my life during the worst ones. The only other withdrawals to cause me enough fear to seek medical help was benzos. One and only time I've called myself an ambulance.

No way that would be possible for me because if I was withdrawing from one I"d definitely be using the other to relieve my symptoms.
That's actually how I started to develop a drinking problem (but I nipped it in the bud before it got bad). I was having issues acquiring opiates at the time so I started drinking, thinking it would compensate for the lack of pain meds.

I've had benzo withdrawal alcohol withdrawal and a conclusion, I couldn't decipher my dreams from reality, I wasn't right for weeks hallucinating hearing voices
I wouldn't wish it on any one except a select few, so almost no one, I beleve it can cause skitsphrena, ( tyop I can't spell ) if u repeat this hell process. I didn't think i was gonna get my mind back, it took over a month to feel normal again, I'm glad I'm not Rxed benzos anymore
I've had friends who got addicted to xanax or valium tell me it basically feels like alcohol in pill form to them. They like that with xanax you can skip having to stomach some bitter swill and go straight to the drunk state. I even hear the withdrawals are similar to alcohol withdrawal. Funny, I like alcohol but don't care for benzos. They give me weird dreams.

I've experienced heavy addictions and physical dependence to both, and I can say, hands down, opioid withdrawals were the worst, with buprenorphine possibly the worst of all. I was terrified of alcohol withdrawals for how bad I've heard they can be, and for whatever reason, they just paled in comparison to opioid withdrawals.

Depends what you're into.

Alcohol- extreme anxiety malaise with occasional moments of sheer terror, seizures.

Opioids--You feel very sick like the flu. You might have a terrible compulsion move your legs. Nausea, diarrhea

I really think that Alcohol is worse in general, but it is also significantly more harmful to the brain. One can die from seizures in this instance.
Thankfully, I never had alcohol withdrawals (my dad did), but 2 days into opiate withdrawals was all it took for me to relapse. I guess I'm weak. The worst part of it for me was the lack of sleep and restless legs.

I've experienced heavy addictions and physical dependence to both, and I can say, hands down, opioid withdrawals were the worst, with buprenorphine possibly the worst of all. I was terrified of alcohol withdrawals for how bad I've heard they can be, and for whatever reason, they just paled in comparison to opioid withdrawals.
Oddly for me, Tramadol gave me worse withdrawal symptoms than any other opiate. I'm assuming the severity of withdrawal is because of its half life, rather than its potency--because they're one of the weaker ones. My drug of choice is MS Contin, but I haven't had any of those for over a year now. Even heroin and fentanyl has pretty much disappeared where I'm from. All I can find now are oxy, hydros, and weed. Shrooms are still pretty easy to find, but I rarely want those and of course meth is fucking rampant in north Texas still, but I don't mess with uppers aside from caffeine. Haha.

Last edited:
and sometime u get a twitch but it feels lit being shocked with electricity
I had that (and alllll the other symptoms) during Benz WDs. The worse ones are the ones that you feel in your head aka brain zaps. Pretty sure that is like 1 tiny step away from having a seizure.
As soon as I started getting them I was really worried and they kept getting stronger and more frequent every 5-10 mins alongside sharp chest pains I legit thought I was going to die, luckily I managed to get some etizolam from a friend, one of the worst drug experiences ever for me. Top 3 defo.

I'm worried about alcohol withdrawals I've been drinking every day for ages now. I need to stop

it really depends on how deep you are....

minor/moderate withdrawals opioids are certainly more aweful

but intense benzo/alcohol withdrawal is no fucking joke and is harder to beat than opioids. Opioids are mostly just in your mind, sickness, pain.... benzos/alcohol will literally send you into a terrifying hellish several day panic attack rife with intense hallucinations

After going through both, many times, I would rather cold turkey heroin then a heavy benzo/alcohol habit.

But comparing them is like talking about which corner of hell isn't as hot.... They are both horrifying but I am certainly more scared of benzo/alcohol - plus it can kill you, and I have had a few seizures after going through about 120mg of xanax over a 2-3 week period then suddenly stopped. I was basically unconscious for 3 weeks then woke up from a coma. Extremely horrible with scary hallucinations and a week long panic attack with no sleep. Then again the last fentanyl withdrawal I went through was almost as bad, but at least I didn't think I was losing my mind or dying - even though I felt like dying... not the same thing IMO

I guess overall I prefer pain, flu and mental agony over panic, hallucinations and seizures. A few symptoms overlap, but that's what it boils down to me.

Last edited:
I had that (and alllll the other symptoms) during Benz WDs. The worse ones are the ones that you feel in your head aka brain zaps. Pretty sure that is like 1 tiny step away from having a seizure.
As soon as I started getting them I was really worried and they kept getting stronger and more frequent every 5-10 mins alongside sharp chest pains I legit thought I was going to die, luckily I managed to get some etizolam from a friend, one of the worst drug experiences ever for me. Top 3 defo.

I'm worried about alcohol withdrawals I've been drinking every day for ages now. I need to stop
that shit can get scary, If u decide to quit and u don't have anything on hand I would go to hospital/ detox, it's not worth losing it life

I went through benzo and alcohol withdrawal in jail and been dopesick more times than I can imagine.
I was delirious and having seizures and the fkin doctor wouldn't give me anything because I was getting out in a few weeks and "we don't give benzos here" so just don't die basically. It was 45 days of hell and the second i got out i ate a few kpins but it took a few days to feel normal. Never went to jail again lol
Opiates are nasty as well. The same anxiety but physically symptoms
I don't know what is worse because both have been utter hell
The benzo/booze was dangerous and I was terrified especially in jail where they would let you die