• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Advice, support for staying sober

AllAroundGoodGuy

Greenlighter
Hey friends,
I've been in this pattern of drug abuse that has become all too common in recent years. Started at a young age to cope with depression and anxiety. Ultimately turning into a lifelong struggle with many substances. Namely opiates and benzos. I've come to a point where I've seen my life take a turn for the worst when I had all the opportunity from stepping out of rehab to have a fulfilling and happy life. I just cannot for the life of me stay away from using long enough to make any significant long-term progress. I was in inpatient treatment for 7 months, got a job, moved into an apartment with a girlfriend and as soon as I was able to I started using again. Lost all of that twice over 2 years and here I am homeless again, on methadone but still smoking 5 blues a day with little to no effect. To sum it up I am just so tired of doing the same shit. But I can't convince my addict brain to do anything different for any significant period of time. I just got approved for state funded section 8 housing and I really want to get my shit together, start working again and move on with my life. I just picture the same pattern happening all over again. Am I just one of those people who will always be a junkie until I go to prison or die of an overdose? It sure seems like I am. Anyway thanks for listening. Any ideas or support in any way is greatly appreciated. Take care ❤

The first thing I do from a point such as this - is correct my internal thinking. If you repeat the narrative to yourself that you are a lifer, destined to repeat the same shit etc. etc -- odds are you will. the narratives we tell ourselves internally are extremely powerful drivers to the outcomes in our life.
Even if it feels weird - adopting a "fake it til you make it" posture has helped me numerous times to make the shift to allowing myself to even entertain a reality where I was a competent, reasonable human. If you can't see yourself there, how do you expect to get there? Like driving across country without a map.

The other things I would ask are: have you pursued personal non substance abuse oriented therapy? just for you? odds are this behavior is not "out of nowhere I just want to get wasted" - but rather a response to some kind of deeper trauma or issues. I didn't think I had any at all, til I started digging and really working on things - turns out I was suppressing all sorts of shit that was the driver in my non-productive substance abuse
and
do you have hobbies/personal goals/interests that do not revolve around a significant other that make your life really worthwhile. mystical pursuits? a passion hobby? a thing you do that makes you get up in the morning?
also, do you do well enough with nutrition and exercise?

Those are the places I would start. the goal is to get you real world/adult coping mechanisms learend (via the therapy) and creating a community and life that is rich and complete without drugs. and that your body has enough upkeep that pain and other issues dont drag you back down. these have been the effective things for me. <3 glad you're here. you can make it through this.

The first thing I do from a point such as this - is correct my internal thinking. If you repeat the narrative to yourself that you are a lifer, destined to repeat the same shit etc. etc -- odds are you will. the narratives we tell ourselves internally are extremely powerful drivers to the outcomes in our life.
Even if it feels weird - adopting a "fake it til you make it" posture has helped me numerous times to make the shift to allowing myself to even entertain a reality where I was a competent, reasonable human. If you can't see yourself there, how do you expect to get there? Like driving across country without a map.

The other things I would ask are: have you pursued personal non substance abuse oriented therapy? just for you? odds are this behavior is not "out of nowhere I just want to get wasted" - but rather a response to some kind of deeper trauma or issues. I didn't think I had any at all, til I started digging and really working on things - turns out I was suppressing all sorts of shit that was the driver in my non-productive substance abuse
and
do you have hobbies/personal goals/interests that do not revolve around a significant other that make your life really worthwhile. mystical pursuits? a passion hobby? a thing you do that makes you get up in the morning?
also, do you do well enough with nutrition and exercise?

Those are the places I would start. the goal is to get you real world/adult coping mechanisms learend (via the therapy) and creating a community and life that is rich and complete without drugs. and that your body has enough upkeep that pain and other issues dont drag you back down. these have been the effective things for me. <3 glad you're here. you can make it through this.
This! Fake it til you make it, mate. Manifest that shit. Stay true to the methadone clinic and your counselor there. Talk to them and talk your heart out and why you think you cannot stop, etc.

That’s amazing regarding the section 8! that’s really good news. try to take that and manifest more on top of that man. set short term goals and tackle them slowly at your own pace and write out some long term goals to work towards. YOU can do this. YOU can have a house. YOU can get married & fall in love. YOU can do anything mate.

take care. you should join the recovery forum where we all chat daily about how we’re feeling. :) we could all use another pal anyways!

take care xo

Thanks for kind words and motivation. I certainly hadn't thought about telling myself something different, even if I don't fully believe it right now. In rehab I was able to make change to my internal dialog that I wouldn't have ever dreamed I could do before. So I know it can work. Unfortunately just with relapse it's easy for me to forget all of that and move right back where I started. I have gotten tired of constantly telling myself I'm no good, want to die etc several times throughout the day, so this past weekend I decided I'm not doing that anymore! I've been catching myself and reframing the thought into something positive. I think you are absolutely right about trauma being a key issue that drives me to continue my destructive behavior. I just need to stop using it as an excuse to continue doing what I know is only hurting myself. I am currently homeless and don't have a regular internet connection. I can find wifi if I get my butt up though, not hard to find. So I will try to check in here with updates on my progress. I'm glad there are others I can connect with. Thanks again guys.

Change you habits bro.
Look for your passion in life.
Sadly, drugs leave a massive hole in our lives and if u don't have something to feel that gap with something, ure gonna keep relapsing.
U have to replace that obsession with something healthier, get a girl, go hiking, subscribe to a gym, meet new ppl who don't do drugs, stop hanging out with ppl who party too hard/do hardcore drugs, etc.
Start with discipline and order, to get Ur shit together that's basic. Do a list of things u wanna accomplish in a short term/mid term/ long term, start lil by lil. Don't push Urself too hard either. Another important thing is to love yourself and first and FOREMOST GOD(call it whatever u want the Universe, the source,Yhwh, Allah, etc) but a Higher power helps IMMENSELY when u wanna change ur life, u feel lost or tbh Always!!!!
Stay strong buddy, u got this. Thats my 0.02 cents and remember one step at a time. ❤️ 👍😉👌😊🙏

Hey friends,
I've been in this pattern of drug abuse that has become all too common in recent years. Started at a young age to cope with depression and anxiety. Ultimately turning into a lifelong struggle with many substances. Namely opiates and benzos. I've come to a point where I've seen my life take a turn for the worst when I had all the opportunity from stepping out of rehab to have a fulfilling and happy life. I just cannot for the life of me stay away from using long enough to make any significant long-term progress. I was in inpatient treatment for 7 months, got a job, moved into an apartment with a girlfriend and as soon as I was able to I started using again. Lost all of that twice over 2 years and here I am homeless again, on methadone but still smoking 5 blues a day with little to no effect. To sum it up I am just so tired of doing the same shit. But I can't convince my addict brain to do anything different for any significant period of time. I just got approved for state funded section 8 housing and I really want to get my shit together, start working again and move on with my life. I just picture the same pattern happening all over again. Am I just one of those people who will always be a junkie until I go to prison or die of an overdose? It sure seems like I am. Anyway thanks for listening. Any ideas or support in any way is greatly appreciated. Take care ❤
Forgot to tag u. Lols xx be safe man.

Just don't use. Do anything else but use. Jackoff for hours, go for a walk, stalk your ex girlfriend, ok not that... Play video games. Make up your own rap lyrics, go bother your friends at work, paint a picture for your neighbor.
Go to a bank and open an account with 88 bucks. Spam blue light for hours.
BUILD A FORT IN THE WOODS - I love that
Find a stream to lay down in.
Pretend you hosting SNL
Climb some trees, sleep all day.
Try new foods, throw up new foods
Try to frisbee a piece of toast as far as you can

Get an easy job and ace that shit
Get on Grindr and send pictures of your junk to random guys

Do literally anything you want , but don't use.

It gets easier over time.

i’ve never done illegal drugs or even cannabis or alcohol, so I can’t say I know what true addiction to hard drugs feels like. nevertheless, I strongly sympathise and empathise with you and hope for the best, I know you can pull through this. I have a few suggestions for you, and they are as follows:
Firstly, clearly define your reasons for staying sober and remind yourself regularly of these after quitting.

Stay away from any triggers such as drug taking equipment and do not even entertain the idea of using.
As others have mentioned, try your best to sort out any stress in your life and look for new hobbies and interests.
Finally, I have a pharmacological suggestion for you. If you ever manage to come off opioids completely, I recommend you try the High dose naltrexone/buprenorphine combination which acts more like a selective Kappa opioid antagonist. this would be especially useful if it is low mood that brings you back to drug use.

Remember that the craving will pass-- whether you use or not.

It's a lot easier to stay sober than it is to get sober.

I never woke up in the morning wishing I'd gotten drunk the night before.
(this applies to any substance, not just alcohol)

Try drinking a couple glasses of water every time there is a craving. I bet it will help the brain to say no thank you blah. If you really drink the water I bet those cravings will stop and the brain will just be getting the taste of water and I bet that will quit real quick. Oh yeah . . . yummy. . . Water.
Just keep drinking water every time you get a craving though and I bet that will fill you right up. And then you will feel better. A lot. Focus. But do drink a lot of water for those cravings. !! Nothing better than water . . . instead of craving.

an offline support acquaintance is telling me to get back into daily meditation recommended I start with ten minutes a day to build a routine back up

My $0.02