• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Advice Please

blue&white

Greenlighter
Firt timer on here and looking for help as I have htt a real low. I have been taking Oxycodone/oxycontin for 5 years now after being prescribed them following a RTA. Although I weaned myself off the oxycontin some while ago, I have started taking more & more oxycodone just to feel normal, approx 80mg per day. To chase the high now would mean me taking far too many tablets to warrant it.
Seeking help to come off the drugs I have been told to go to detox, something that is not so easy to do. When seeking help from my dr, he prescribed my oxycontin again to help me counter the pain in reducing the oxycodone. Is this a good idea or am I just going to get hooked on the oxycontin again. Am I best to go into detox although I would rather try myself. I am being told that detox is the only thing that will work. Never been addicted to anything before so would like to try & come off.

What is it you're trying to do?

If you're interested in reducing your tolerance a detox makes good sense, but if you have been using opioids for a while and have ongoing issues with chronic pain, methadone is worth looking into. Pain management doctors will prescribe it to individuals for that very purpose, and it will go a very long way to helping you control your opioid use. Conversely you could get it from a clinic, which is a bit of a PITA but is a highly structured program where you won't be able to really misuse your meds even if you wanted to.

It all depends on your needs and goals, what might work well for you.

Been in pain management for over 12 years now. That said oxy is oxy. It has a high associated with it and that WILL cause issues. I was on it over 10 years ago. 100mg or so a day. Was never satisfied and always wanted more. Physically coming off it was moderate. Psychologically I wanted it for months after.

If you want to stay pain management I suggest you pick a drug without the big buzz. Morphine or methadone.

I was on Morphine for 10 years and recently had to come off it ( Lost Insurance ). Physically very hard. No cravings.

If your pain is okay... Time to suck it up and do a taper. 80mg is not super high even though you have 5 years of use. Lots of good info here at bluelight.

Lastly... Do you really want to stay on the Pain Management treadmill? Keep making that doctor rich. Stay a slave to a drug? Best of luck!!!!

R13