• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Advice on plugging klonopin

appleonly

Greenlighter
I am seeking a faster means of klonopin administration since I get really bad anxiety attacks and I need it to kick in fast. I don't care if you think plugging's gross but the anxiety attacks really suck dick so I'm willing to do whatever to make them go away faster.

Today I tried plugging 4mg of klonopin (my usual dose) but nothing happened. I crushed the pills into powder in a shot glass and mixed with 6 ml of warm water and stirred, then sucked it into a syringe and stuck it up my ass and injected.

After waiting an hour I just swallowed 2 pills. What am I doing wrong? Should I use less water? I have heard of other people plugging klonopin and they said it worked. I am using the 2mg pills. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Klonopin is pretty well absorbed by almost every route, sublingual (under the tongue) is probably easiest though.

I don't think it's going to be as well absorbed rectally as it is orally.

Best advice: Take it sublingually.

Clonazepam takes forever to kick in, just tell your doctor exactly what you told us (well, except for the crushing pills and plugging part ;) ) and get on a more effective benzodiazepine, or even a specially formulated sublingual tablet, although regular tablets like alprazolam, lorazepam, etc, can be taken sublingually as well but they often have what most consider to be an unpleasant taste.

The sublingual ROA is the fastest ROA that takes the absolute minimum amount of calories to take advantage of a rapid increase in onset. I experience onset of alprazolam within 5 minutes sublingually vs 10-15 minutes orally, however I'm aware that clonazepam has that long, frustrating onset of action. Ask your doctor, plugging your benzodiazepine dose isn't usually going to be practical for situations where you have an extremely limited time to administer the drug (like when your having a panic attack out in public, or whatever), unlike sublingual ROA.

Thanks for the advice. I will try it sublingually next time.

I know the bioavailability is less for subligual than oral. About how many more mg's of xanax do you have to take when taking it sublingually? (I know that xanax doses are comparable to klonopin.) I think I will stick with klonopin even though the long onset is a bitch, just because I take it fairly frequently and I'm trying not to get addicted to benzos like I used to be (major bitch to withdraw.) Xanax would be optimal but just way too addictive to take often.

I significantly doubt that the SL BA of clonazepam is lower than oral, it's usually at least the same, if not slightly, to significantly higher (as in the case of lorazepam and triazolam, off the top of my head, there are others).

Talk to your doc about switching to a medication that doesn't take so damn long to kick in.

I have never noticed any appreciable deficit in BA when taking clonazepam SL versus orally. It's worth it trust me.

As for plugging, it works, but it's not worth it. From my experience plugging it, the onset is slightly faster with a hint of euphoria (something I never get with benzos) but you have to use more of your medication and the whole administration thing is just a hassle. Stick to SL with you clonazepam, it tastes good too!

Clonazepam sucks IMO, there are so many better benzodiazepines out there. I mean, it looks good on paper but myself and others I know who's judgement I trust agree with me subjectively that it's extremely weak.

Youve just gotta take a lot tri. It's never gonna have the kick that other benzos do though, that's why it's marketed as an anticonvulsant instead of for panic or insomnia.

You want my advice? Don't plug kpins. It's pointless.
To get them to kick in faster chew them up and take them on an empty stomach.

But I agree with Tricomb, you need a benzo that kicks rapidly in for anxiety/panic attacks. Diazepam or even Lorazepam should do the trick.
My suggestion would be Clonazepam daily and something like Diazepam on hand for attacks. But you would have to be extremely careful though, primarily because benzos are just plain dangerous. But also because they can build up in your blood if they have long half lives like diazepam.

Clonazepam worked okay for me for extreme, constant anxiety and insomnia recently because it has a long half-life and you'll feel it's effects for a few days if you were like me and took 12mg. NOT advocating this, I'm officially a dumb ass for that one.. But was in WD from heroin and desperately needed to sleep and not have my heart beating out of my chest. But it's not very strong, as you can see. I've always preferred Valium (diazepam) when it comes to benzos (if I fuck with them at all), it's old school and it works.

Oh yeah and durr, xanax. I was racking my brain trying to remember which benzo I was forgetting that I really ought to suggest.

Tried sublingual today. I crushed up 4mg of kpin and held it under the tongue for 40 minutes (no unpleasant taste). Had absolutely no effect at all.

I'm wondering if the pills I have (white 2mg's) have some kind of filler in them that makes them unable to absorb sublingually or by plugging. I'm going to try using my 1mg ones next time and will see what happens.

diazepam, alprazolam and bromazepam taken on an empty stomach kick in in my experience almost as fast as they do sublingually. on the other hand clorazepate (which is so incredibly disgusting to sublingual that i only tried it once) and oxazepam (which is tasteless) take the longest, although they are highly effective for anxiety.
for panic attacks, alprazolam is still the best benzo in my experience. it's not exactly pleasant to take sublingual, fairly bitter, although not as bad as diazepam, which again is not nearly as bad as clorazepate.

Tried sublingual today. I crushed up 4mg of kpin and held it under the tongue for 40 minutes (no unpleasant taste). Had absolutely no effect at all.

I'm wondering if the pills I have (white 2mg's) have some kind of filler in them that makes them unable to absorb sublingually or by plugging. I'm going to try using my 1mg ones next time and will see what happens.

Some generics of Klonopin take much longer to dissolve than others. No matter what brand you try, plugging is not going to work because Klonopin is not soluble in water.

The most likely reason that plugging your clonazepam did not work was that clonazepam is poorly soluble in water, .1mg/mL if I'm correct. That would mean that you only dissolved around half a milligram. However, I'm not so sure what would happen if the vaccuum created by the suction of the plunger pulled up the non dissolved clonazepam and was then deposited into your rectum..

I honestly think that perhaps you are expecting too much out of clonazepam. I'm not sure what your experience with benzo's is, or how long you've been taking them, but if you use them rarely, than 4mg taken sublingually should definately be effective. The effects just might not be anxiolytic enought for you.

A
Youve just gotta take a lot tri. It's never gonna have the kick that other benzos do though, that's why it's marketed as an anticonvulsant instead of for panic or insomnia.
Actually it's the best for insomnia for me specifically. Xanax will put me to sleep quicker but I'll be back awake in an hour or 2. With clonazepam I can take it 30 minutes before going to bed and actually sleep for 6 or 7 hours without waking up and feel rested the next day. I guess it depends on the type of insomnia, trouble falling asleep then I'm sure others work better but if it's trouble actually staying asleep then clonazapam seems to work best

2.5 mg today, last 1mg about an hour ago because I couldn't sleep. Now I'm in that in-between state I like so much and I could probably sleep if I wanted, but want to enjoy a little more of awake time and nice music.
Clonas are defi not for sleeping. At least not for me.
Will have to mooch some alpras from my mom (she doesn't take the ones her doctor gives her). They are good for falling asleep.

be careful. benzos do not treat anxiety. they do make it much worse with addiction/time on them though.

be careful. benzos do not treat anxiety. they do make it much worse with addiction/time on them though.
Benzodiazepines absolutely treat anxiety. They're literally called anxiolytics.

Benzodiazepines may or may not resolve the root cause of the anxiety.

For example: benzodiazepines would not resolve anxiety caused by pheochromocytoma (because it's a tumor) benzodiazepines will resolve the anxiety caused by post detox alcohol withdrawal (because it's caused by an imbalance in the GABAergic glutaminergic neurotransmitter receptor system).

In fact, benzodiazepines are pretty much the only class of drugs that can safely treat anxiety caused by alcohol withdrawal. Can you use barbiturates, yes but other than phenobarbital the therapeutic index is exceedingly low and the incidence of addiction is exceedingly high. Could you use clonidine or hydroxyzine or any of the other alpha adrenergic antagonists, yes, but there's significant rebound issue when the dose is enough to stop the anxiety. And the half life of such medications is usually low which causes inter-dose anxiety.

Clonazepam, diazepam, and chlordiazepoxide when prescribed in a calculated, taper are essential for treating such anxiety.

Benzodiazepines also treat the root cause of sleep anxiety which is anxiety related to not being able to fall asleep. Benzodiazepines tend to resolve sleep anxiety caused by insomnia in a significant number of patients.

A correct statement would be that "benzodiazepines are not intended for long-term use to treat the symptoms of anxiety unless no other medication is effective."

Another correct statement would be "it's inadvisable to abuse benzodiazepines or take them other as prescribed."

In instances of anxiety caused by HPA axis dysregulation, emergent treatment with benzodiazepines is absolutely necessary because continued panic and anxiety will reinforce and worsen the HPA axis dysregulation.

If it's general mild to moderate anxiety, yes, it's better to treat with a non gabaergic medication or at least not directly gabaergic, such as CBD, the gabapentinoids, SSRIs, and some of the classical tricyclics. Tricyclics. However, all of these (except CBD) carry a much worse side effect profile than PRN benzodiazepines even when taken as prescribed.

Last edited: