• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Adulterated Kratom?

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member

I randomly came across this case study. Apparently this guy took 1 teaspoon of Vivazen Kratom brand, adulterated with phenylethylamine and apparently had a stroke and major brain bleed due to this. Which at first didn't make a whole lot of sense to me because I thought PEA was generally safe at a gram or even more (?)

Anyways the real reason for this post is to talk about adulterated kratom. Have you guys seen anything else about this?

Once I had a specific batch of "Crimson Thai" that was at least 3x as good as any kratom I've ever had and never had anything that good since. I assumed it had some RC like desotramadol or something, but it could have just been a very good harvest of kratom which apparently is a thing.

Have you guys noticed a large difference in potency between brands/harvests? I haven't, and I've tried at least 20 brands now.

Yeah I believe there were some issues with this regarding the "ultra inhanced indo" concentrate. They ran a test on some batches and it came back as containing a tramadol analogue or something

I think it can be an issue with certain concentrates or extracts but I don't think it's a widespread problem. Could be wrong though, those are just my impressions

Almost all regular Kratom powder affects me the same, I've noticed very little difference between all the various brands and colors I've tried. From the sketchiest looking gas station stuff to the supposedly high end stuff I've tried from online shops. These days almost everywhere is getting there kratom through the same channels, it pretty much all seems to be the same stuff to me. But to be fair, I've just never noticed much difference between the colors so maybe I'm just not noticing whatever subtle differences others notice.

Its a shame that guy died. I have a hard time believing facts with deaths related to kratom though. Too many people out there with agendas...

Always bought from the same vendor, potency was in the +-20% range with no big surprises. So I can only say that one should find some reputable vendor and stick to classic strains without fancy naming. If one needs up to the extracts than that means it is time to quit kratom. If one must go up it is preferable to find some pharma grade opioid one step up (tramadol, codeine, hydrocodone, tapentadol) than take chances with extracts. At least that is how I think about it.

I've been taking kratom for a while now and have tried probably a couple dozen different brands, i've never run into anything that was unreasonably strong or felt weird. I'll admit though, I have, on a couple occasions when I was feeling extra shitty, bought sketchy headshop kratom in hopes that it would contain an RC.

I tasted those capsules since I mostly toss and wash and am extra familiar with the taste (not that I could have detected high potency RC's or fent analogues). I didn't taste anything funny.

I stick with brands that vacuum seal and tamper proof their packaging. Those extra steps tell me that the distributor is making some effort to cut down on unnecessary risk to the consumer. That being said i'm not saying all brands that put in that effort contain only kratom.

Hey, I also noticed kratom involved in that PEA death shown in the medical study from the “a Tiktoker took 8 scoops of preworkout, this is what happened” YouTube video haha. It’s odd, I wouldn’t think a normal say tablespoon dosage of kratom, even if it was mixed with PEA could cause a stroke or death, not by a long shot. But I suppose some people just get the short end of the straw and have a freak reaction.

The most common way kratom is adulterated is through addition of 7-hydroxymitragyine isolate. 7-hydroxymitragyine is far more potent of an opioid than mitragyine so kratom samples with high levels of this could be considered adulterated. 7-hydroxymitragyine is to mitragyine as heroin is to morphine, and a number of methods can be used to oxidize mitragyine.

The famous extract maker OPMS changed their labels from showing that it had substantial levels of 7-hydroxymitragyine to trace amounts. The product feels the same. Not surprisingly, their extracts feel better than other extracts and are more expensive. Their liquid shots feel kind 20mg of hydrocodone. I would consider their products to be adulterated in this regard.

Are you saying opms is still selling the same high powered 'extract' as before but now they are just lying on the labels? Damn, that kind of practice cannot be good for the future of these types of products

Are you saying opms is still selling the same high powered 'extract' as before but now they are just lying on the labels? Damn, that kind of practice cannot be good for the future of these types of products

Yes i think they are lying about the 7-hydroxymitragynine mitragynine content on the label. It went from reporting a few mg per bottle (liquid shots) to reporting trace levels, yet feels the same.

For those who have had those liquid shots i would imagine you'd agree they feel different and better than other extracts.

during 2009 i got some gold kratom that had the alkaloids extracted and desmethyltramadol mixed into it. it was from ireland.