• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Adderall

Dr. Shrimp PuertoRico

Greenlighter
So I have a question...a family member of mine who has abused adderall for about 20/25 years, taking a months supply within a few days (not sure how many tablets they were supposed to take in a day) but basically they would be up binging for days on end and then crashing for a few days when they ran out. So now this family member is all of a sudden saying they are only taking half a pill a day.( I have to note that this person never admitted to any of this behavior. It was just extremely obvious when you’re getting strange and random texts messages all throughout the night then 2 days later the school calls and says this family member didn’t pick their kids up from school and they can’t reach them only to get to their house and they’re sleeping. Also with the knowledge they are prescribed adderall) I also have to note that this family member is a pathological liar (still the stories they tell don’t make any sense or add up) they are extremely mentally unstable. I guess what I’m asking is does it sound feasible to go from abusing high doses for such a long time to simply taking a half a pill a day? I’ve never personally experienced an amphetamine addiction or abused amphetamines. But I have gone through a Xanax addiction and being clean over 5 years now I know I could never take a half of a pill. Even if I were legitimately taking it for anxiety. It’s just with all the other lies they still tell I have a hard time believing this. Oh and the fact that when I do see this person they are still talking a million miles a minute, constantly changing topics and they just don’t shut up. Exactly how they have always been. Can someone please give me some insight? Thanks.

Many people start out taking their adderall script as prescribed and then slowly start increasing their dose as tolerance climbs. Pretty soon they are taking double the dose and then inevitably they like it so much that they start eating their script all up within a week of getting it filled. People do it with opioids too.

Once we practice this behavior it is next to impossible for us to go back to taking it as prescribed. The only way to do it is to have a family member or trusted friend hold the script and dispense them daily. All pill addicts lie to their family. Either that they aren't taking them anymore or that they are taking way less than you think ( and know ) that they are.

Most people don't want to give up the power of having control over their script so they won't do it. They will tell you they will start taking them correctly but they won't. If the person is an adult and is getting them scripted there really is nothing you can do short of ratting them out to their Dr. Obviously a Doctor is going to cut off patients that are misusing their script.....BUT.......that kind of thing can cause serious issues with family members.

Said family member also might be on meth already. Most people that are scripted addies and binge turn to meth when they run out to get them over the hump until refill day. Not saying this is the case but many people fill the gap with meth until they can get their pills again.

It's a hard thing to watch I know. If your family member is neglecting to pick up his / her kids from school and stuff like that it might not be a bad idea to ask them nicely if you could hold the next bottle of adderall and dispense them per the directions. Other than that ( and ratting him out ) are really all you can do. Unfortunately we have to watch our loved ones crash and burn and hope they see the light sooner rather than later. Good luck my friend,

After 20 years of this behavior i'd say it's extremely unlikely to go back to prescribed dosages but it is certainly possible. Amp addiction is strange in that it really doesn't have withdrawals besides feeling run down and tired for a little while after stopping use.

Sounds like that family member still needs help with their problem, maybe talk to them about it

I think it’s always worth having a second look at the ADHD diagnosis of people who regularly and extremely abuse their scripts. I’m sure everyone experiments a little bit with taking a few extra pills when you first get your script but the effect of the correct dose on the person with genuine ADHD generally reduces demand and desire for high level stimulation. And most properly diagnosed ADHD patients don’t experience tolerance or may go up from say 20 mg dex to 30 mg ex a day over maybe 5 years.

It’s quite amazing how effectively low dose stimulants calm ADHD people down and close off that compulsive, ill-considered, lack of executive function that leads many people to just keep punching the envelope wth stims.

So I have a question...a family member of mine who has abused adderall for about 20/25 years, taking a months supply within a few days (not sure how many tablets they were supposed to take in a day) but basically they would be up binging for days on end and then crashing for a few days when they ran out. So now this family member is all of a sudden saying they are only taking half a pill a day.( I have to note that this person never admitted to any of this behavior. It was just extremely obvious when you’re getting strange and random texts messages all throughout the night then 2 days later the school calls and says this family member didn’t pick their kids up from school and they can’t reach them only to get to their house and they’re sleeping. Also with the knowledge they are prescribed adderall) I also have to note that this family member is a pathological liar (still the stories they tell don’t make any sense or add up) they are extremely mentally unstable. I guess what I’m asking is does it sound feasible to go from abusing high doses for such a long time to simply taking a half a pill a day? I’ve never personally experienced an amphetamine addiction or abused amphetamines. But I have gone through a Xanax addiction and being clean over 5 years now I know I could never take a half of a pill. Even if I were legitimately taking it for anxiety. It’s just with all the other lies they still tell I have a hard time believing this. Oh and the fact that when I do see this person they are still talking a million miles a minute, constantly changing topics and they just don’t shut up. Exactly how they have always been. Can someone please give me some insight? Thanks.
Most likely when he says half a pill, He is s probably down to half the pills he took a day. I know this may anger you but that is great progress. maybe you should just say "I know your doing better but just keep it up" Your more valuable that the pills. He doesn't mean to lie it's side effect of the disease.. " I have a friend this is a true Story, I will call him Greg. So Greg use to pop Adderall every day for like ten years. He went insane and had to go to a mental hospital. Adderall will parentally shrink your brain. if you use it Constance 24 hrs a day, clean cocaine is better