• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall vs. Dexedrine

Anasrequiem

Bluelighter
Ok, mods I promise I searched for this and found a few threads that kind of answered my question, but not completely. So im sorry if its a repeat.

I take Adderall IR 20 mg, once a day, sometimes add an extra 10 mg on certain days, but ive been reading about all the different stims around and I keep seeing dexedrine as being less stressful on your heart and less bad side effects than adderall. I never really considered changing, but id really like to give my heart a rest bc i know it may seem like a low dose, but sometimes it really gets to my heart, like strange heart beats and what not, and i have a problem with potassium too (not major) but i guess i just would like to reduce any problems if possible. so my question is strictly about what you guys have experienced with normal doses, not recreational ( i know it varies hugely but you still know what i mean) and if it worked better, or didnt, and any heart issues any of you may have had. I am just hoping it may be better because i also get really irritable, twitchy, and my pupils tend to get big which sometimes is troublesome for me. In case it matters, i have already tried ritalin, strattera, and wellbutrin to try and help my ADD issues, but the adderall has been the best. thanks!

dexedrine is in adderal it makes up 67 percent i believe the rest is levo amphetamine. I took dexedrine once its much smoother than adderal not as jttery and didnt give me the heart palpilations that adderal does. You should try it most docs will let you swith around to see what works for you

johanneschimpo said:
adderall = 75% dextroamphetamine, 25% levoamphetamine

It's actually less than 75% dex, due to thae fact that some of the amp is saccharate some is sulfate and some aspartate and these salts have different proportions of amp/salt ratio weight.

I think it's 67% dex when you work out the stiochiometry, but don't quote me on that.

hehe i noticed, um im not needing to know what percent of amphetamines are in them, that isnt my question, i know adderall is a blend, but that isnt what im needing to know, just wanted to point that out so it doesnt get lost in the posting

Seeing your worried about your heart you could try Modafinil as well. Dex is pretty harmless though, it gets my vote.

Dexedrine is all and all much cleaner feeling at any dose level than Adderall. I would recommend the former over the latter but good luck getting it. Avoid time release formulations, BTW, they're good for getting you geeked out, paranoid, and little else.

when you say good luck getting it, does it have a stigma on it? i know definately desoxyn does, so is dexedrine having something similar? i honestly doubt my doc will have a prob bc he is not one to care much, i pretty much write my own RXs, but i am a bit squeamish walking in and just asking, but i guess it shouldnt be a big deal since it is a legitmate concern

Not saying you don't have a legit concern, but dexedrine scripts really aren't that commonly given out, which is a shame, but true. If you have a good relationship with your doctor, I wouldn't be afraid to broach the subject, but yeah, be aware, it's not too commonly given out, although if in your case several other things have failed, it's somewhere on the list I guess...

It is the first on the list in Aus. Still preferred over every other ADD med including modafinil.

I actually really like SR dexies. They have helped me for years and have always felt smoother than Adderall. Any type of amphetamine is far superior to methylphenidate for me, however. You could always ask about a small trial of dextroamphetamine, just for the sake of having fewer peripheral side effects. You may like it, you may find it less effective. Some people like d-amphetamine, some people like methylphenidate and some people like Adderall. You really have to try them all to see which one you respond to best.

I like the SR because I don't have to take it as often (I don't forget to take it) and I take fewer pills. I think they only make IR dextroamphetamine in little itty-bitty 5mg pills--I'd have to take 10-12 of the little buggers every day...shit.

Last edited:
yeah i mean i really didnt know anything about dexedrine until onhere, and then i looked it up for more info, i have tried, ritalin (no go), and actually a weird thing is i originally started the adderall in the XR form and for some reason it gave me horrid stomach problems....so i stopped it, tried strattera (like a placebo for me, nothing) and then we tried the IR of adderall, and here i am, i have tried just stopping the adderall all together but that isnt good for me either, gotta balance out my seroquel, anyway, i still have over a month of adderall left so i guess i can just keep thinking about it, but you guys have alot of good info...so please keep posting more if there if you can, thanks !