• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall safety, and forcing comedowns

Drazenexe

Greenlighter
Hello, new user here. I've been abusing adderall recreationally for years now. When I first started, I got really stupid, staying awake for a week at a time, taking stupid large doses constantly.

Since then I've had a bit of a wake up call. I still do them, usually only on Friday and Saturday. I usually just start with 90-120mg on Friday. End up not sleeping, then taking more Saturday to power through the day.

Has anyone else done something similar long term without any negative effects?

My main problem is, no matter what time I dose, I'm not going to sleep that night. It makes Saturday miserable. I want to be able to take these Friday and sleep Saturday early morning. Staying awake isnt healthy.

Things I've tried:
Benzos ( no easy access)
Booze
Melatonin, ambien
Weed
Laying in bed with eyes closed for up to 8 hours
DPH(benadryl)
Acidic drinks like orange juice

Its irritating. I've watched my friends come down and sleep while I'm wired for way longer than I should be every single time. I've heard seroquel but I dont have access. Wondering if theres something similar, over the counter. Or just any methods at all, I've tried more but dont remember off the top of my head, none have worked. Also wondering if anyone has shared similar experiences then found something that worked.

Thanks 😁

Hi, welcome to Bluelight @Drazenexe :)

A good meal would also probably help. Maybe even masturbation.

I have 32 30mg footballs in my stash so am curious as to what other people say as well since I'll be in your same boat.

Hi, welcome to Bluelight @Drazenexe :)

A good meal would also probably help. Maybe even masturbation.

I have 32 30mg footballs in my stash so am curious as to what other people say as well since I'll be in your same boat.

Thank you :) I've tried those things as well, sometimes I feel like the adderall has worn off, but once I lay down I feel a bunch of lingering effects. Sometimes I feel exhausted yet lay there for 10 hours.

Also this is with both IR and XR, I understand XR lasts longer but either way it doesn't matter. I've dosed at 8 AM, staying awake all the way until Saturday night.

Also tried snorting since it's not supposed to last as long.

Maybe I'm just doomed to not take them, the only thing I can think of is my metabolism is shitty.

Also, I hear seroquel is amazing at reversing the effects. I would love to try it but sadly I have no way to get any. Was hoping theres an non-prescribed antipsychotic with similar effects. (Doubtful)

I also hear gabapentin, which I might be able to get, not sure how reliable it is though.

Thank you :) I've tried those things as well, sometimes I feel like the adderall has worn off, but once I lay down I feel a bunch of lingering effects. Sometimes I feel exhausted yet lay there for 10 hours.

Also this is with both IR and XR, I understand XR lasts longer but either way it doesn't matter. I've dosed at 8 AM, staying awake all the way until Saturday night.

Also tried snorting since it's not supposed to last as long.

Maybe I'm just doomed to not take them, the only thing I can think of is my metabolism is shitty.

You've taken the whole dose at 8:00am Friday and stayed awake all of Friday night and all day Saturday? If you're redosing, that's obviously an issue, but it doesn't sound like you are.

Honestly, you may just need to lower the dose somewhat. I find the residual stimulation of dextoamphetamine and/or amphetamine to last longer than the supposed 4-6 hour (IR) duration, but only like 8-12 hours, not the 36+ hours you're describing. However, the times I've had trouble sleeping at night (16+ hours after a morning dose), have usually been when the dose was on the large side for me. And yes, 60-90mg 90-120mg Adderall is actually a pretty high dose objectively -- #10-13 #14-18 Dexedrine 5mg pills or over 100mg 150mg pure amphetamine sulfate.

Most of the effective things have been mentioned, by you or others. Alcohol is where a lot of people start for comedown management, benzos are where a lot of people end up. (Excluding the more positive things like eating meals, etc.) Other prescriptions medications help as well, like the Seroquel and gabapentin you mentioned, but you may lack access to any others that might be suggested. (Which would be clonidine or tizanidine or guanfacine, most of all; followed by hydroxyzine, mirtazapine, trazodone, cyclobenzaprine...)

You mentioned Benadryl, and while that's the OTC antihistamine you'll most likely find in stores (if you're in the US as I assume), some people find doxylamine better for sedation, so that might be worth a try. (It's more available as a single-ingredient online, but it's one of the ingredients in NyQuil, which is fine as long as you watch the acetaminophen content.

Are you consuming a lot of caffeine during this Adderall session? That can be a major factor in sleeplessness.

Otherwise, I think you need to at least try an experiment of reducing your dose by half or more (say 30mg tops) and seeing whether you have the same problems. Obviously, it won't be quite as euphoric in the beginning, but if you take a decent break from it and then leave several days between each use, I think you could adjust to the lower dose and get almost as much enjoyment with less problems. If lower doses keeps you up for 36 hours as well, then you might truly have some kind of metabolic idiosyncrasy that makes taking it impossible (at least without a strong downer).

EDIT: To raise dosages to what they actually are.

Last edited:
You've taken the whole dose at 8:00am Friday and stayed awake all of Friday night and all day Saturday?

Honestly, you may just need to lower the dose somewhat. I find the residual stimulation of dextoamphetamine and/or amphetamine to last longer than the supposed 4-6 hour (IR) duration, but only like 8-12 hours, not the 36+ hours you're describing. However, the times I've had trouble sleeping at night (16+ hours after a morning dose), have usually been when the dose was on the large side for me. And yes, 60-90mg Adderall is actually a pretty high dose objectively -- #10-13 Dexedrine 5mg pills or over 100mg pure amphetamine sulfate.

Most of the effective things have been mentioned, by you or others. Alcohol is where a lot of people start for comedown management, benzos are where a lot of people end up. (Excluding the more positive things like eating meals, etc.) Other prescriptions medications help as well, like the Seroquel and gabapentin you mentioned, but you may lack access to any others that might be suggested. (Which would be clonidine or tizanidine or guanfacine, most of all; followed by hydroxyzine, mirtazapine, trazodone, cyclobenzaprine...)

You mentioned Benadryl, and while that's the OTC antihistamine you'll most likely find in stores (if you're in the US as I assume), some people find doxylamine better for sedation, so that might be worth a try. (It's more available as a single-ingredient online, but it's one of the ingredients in NyQuil, which is fine as long as you watch the acetaminophen content.

Are you consuming a lot of caffeine during this Adderall session? That can be a major factor in sleeplessness.

Otherwise, I think you need to at least try an experiment of reducing your dose by half or more (say 30mg tops) and seeing whether you have the same problems. Obviously, it won't be quite as euphoric in the beginning, but if you take a decent break from it and then leave several days between each use, I think you could adjust to the lower dose and get almost as much enjoyment with less problems. If lower doses keeps you up for 36 hours as well, then you might truly have some kind of metabolic idiosyncrasy that makes taking it impossible (at least without a strong downer).

I appreciate the reply. The times I've dosed at 8 am, I laid down those nights at 5, 6 or 7 am Saturday morning, and the latest I've laid there is till about 4 PM Saturday after giving up on it. Other times I got up earlier if i got frustrated enough. Most of the time I do feel exhausted, but my mind is all over the place, and I just never fall asleep. Today is a good example. I dosed 60mg last night at 10:30PM, got off work at 6 am, layed in bed till almost 1 PM, now I'm up, tired and frustrated.

Since i only take it once or twice a week, sometimes skipping a weekend or two, lowering the dose might be a good idea, any time I do lower than my preferred dose tohough it puts me just under the zoom I want to be at, 90-120mg is my favorite dose, but maybe it's not worth it.

There has been rare occasions where I slept no problem (I didnt do anything special, was usually just one of the methods above working once in a blue moon)

I stay hydrated with alot of water during my use. Rarely caffeine. I may have access to gabapentin, do you know how it works?

Since then I've had a bit of a wake up call. I still do them, usually only on Friday and Saturday. I usually just start with 90-120mg on Friday. End up not sleeping, then taking more Saturday to power through the day.

Has anyone else done something similar long term without any negative effects?
Recalculating the Adderal to dex-Amphetamine is a real sport.

But let's assume 1/2 is racemic and 1/2 dextro enantiomer. My experience with dex tells me you are either dosing to high, are sensitive or its the weird formulation of Adderal that is messing up your sleep. Could be all those salts have an sort of delaying effect.

60 mg d-Amphetamine doesn't keep me awake till the next day. With or without downers.

I appreciate the reply. The times I've dosed at 8 am, I laid down those nights at 5, 6 or 7 am Saturday morning, and the latest I've laid there is till about 4 PM Saturday after giving up on it. Other times I got up earlier if i got frustrated enough. Most of the time I do feel exhausted, but my mind is all over the place, and I just never fall asleep. Today is a good example. I dosed 60mg last night at 10:30PM, got off work at 6 am, layed in bed till almost 1 PM, now I'm up, tired and frustrated.

Since i only take it once or twice a week, sometimes skipping a weekend or two, lowering the dose might be a good idea, any time I do lower than my preferred dose tohough it puts me just under the zoom I want to be at, 90-120mg is my favorite dose, but maybe it's not worth it.

There has been rare occasions where I slept no problem (I didnt do anything special, was usually just one of the methods above working once in a blue moon)

I stay hydrated with alot of water during my use. Rarely caffeine. I may have access to gabapentin, do you know how it works?

I think you can learn to appreciate the less-intense "zoom" you get at the lower doses, by paying attention to the increased focus and enjoyment it gives you even if you aren't getting the heart-pounding euphoria of the higher doses. But I guess it's a cost-benefit decision you have to make yourself by weighing factors in your life.

It's hard to give a short description of how gabapentin works, but it's been written about a lot on here. Personally, I find that gabapentin reduces the unpleasantness of comedowns but has a stimulating effect of its own, so I'm not sure how much it helps sleep. It's probably worth trying if you have it, in a low dose range, after you have read up on it, and when have no need to drive or perform specialized tasks for the next 24 hours.

I mentioned clonidine et al. as useful medications, since they are sedating but seem to work more directly against the symptoms of stimulants (increased heart-rate, etc.) than antihistamines/antipsychotics, or benzodiazepines really. Tizanidine is a muscle relaxer, but clonidine and guanfacine are both prescribed as "ADHD" medications (either on the theory that they actually treat ADHD or just to help with sleep), so may be more likely accessible than many of the others.

But let's assume 1/2 is racemic and 1/2 dextro enantiomer. My experience with dex tells me you are either dosing to high, are sensitive or its the weird formulation of Adderal that is messing up your sleep. Could be all those salts have an sort of delaying effect.

60 mg d-Amphetamine doesn't keep me awake till the next day. With or without downers.
Well the thing is I'll start to feel exhausted at the time I'm normally supposed to. Heavy eyelids and all. Once I close my eyes some effects are lingering, like bursts of energy, my mind is racing etc.

Multiply the Adderall dosage by 0.75 to get the dexamphetamine dosage. Multiply the Adderall dosage by 1.5 to get the racemic amphetamine dosage.
(Multiply the dexamphetamine by 1.33 to get the Adderall dosage; mutiply the racemic amphetamine by 0.67 to get the Adderall dosage.)

We're talking 67.5-90mg dexamphetamine (= 90-120mg Adderall).

I think you can learn to appreciate the less-intense "zoom" you get at the lower doses, by paying attention to the increased focus and enjoyment it gives you even if you aren't getting the heart-pounding euphoria of the higher doses. But I guess it's a cost-benefit decision you have to make yourself by weighing factors in your life.

It's hard to give a short description of how gabapentin works, but it's been written about a lot on here. Personally, I find that gabapentin reduces the unpleasantness of comedowns but has a stimulating effect of its own, so I'm not sure how much it helps sleep. It's probably worth trying if you have it, in a low dose range, after you have read up on it, and when have no need to drive or perform specialized tasks for the next 24 hours.

I mentioned clonidine et al. as useful medications, since they are sedating but seem to work more directly against the symptoms of stimulants (increased heart-rate, etc.) than antihistamines/antipsychotics, or benzodiazepines really. Tizanidine is a muscle relaxer, but clonidine and guanfacine are both prescribed as "ADHD" medications (either on the theory that they actually treat ADHD or just to help with sleep), so may be more likely accessible than many of the others.
Yeah the gabapentin thing confuses me, I'll research it more. I don't have access to scripts. I've learned to never do them during the week when I have things I need to do.

I guess when you put lowering the dose in those words it makes more sense. I'll also give that a shot :) thanks man

I find adderall to be the most addicting substance on the planet. This is why I avoid meth. I don't even want to think about how much power a strong adderall would have over me.

My best advice is to feel the comedown actually! You've got to respect the negative side effects of drugs whether you like it or not. It teaches you to respect them. However, I find low dose kratom to help ease the comedowns and sometimes I actually feel good with the right strain and batch when I'm coming down.

Make sure that you do not go on speed runs daily. Maximum 3-4 days in a row. When it comes to adderall ab(use), you don't want to experience withdrawal symptoms. I at least never experience a lack of focus or depression/sluggishness because I avoid doing it daily and take breaks in between using. This drug is known as a softer narcotic, BUT DON'T BE FOOLED. It is incredibly powerful in regards to its effects. It has indeed ruined lives believe it or not and caused a large amount of grief for many users. Adderall is to meth what oxycodone is to heroin--just a lot safer and almost impossible to overdose on.

Try to limit your use and redosing if you can.. it will win over you some days and you will win over it with control other days. I know the feeling all too well. It's the only substance I abuse and am hooked on. But again--I avoid it daily and only use it 4 days in a row max if even. 2 days in a row is the most I try for before taking a break. It's easier to sleep if you eat a good amount of food before bed and do not go to bed hungry. Also, some people like Benadryl for adderall crashing/sleeping attempts but I find that it makes me so grouchy the next day lol. A light benzo can help you but benzo dependency is far worse than adderall abuse ever could be. And in time you might experience rebound anxiety if even worser symptoms. There's not much you can do for sleep--a notorious downside of stimulants that drives stimulant abusers literally crazy from psychosis-type episodes. Even if you miss a days sleep, you can take just a bit more the next day to remain functional. You'll at least feel baseline. Make sure you don't go two days without sleep is my advice. Things get a little weird after the second day of no rest. Your body adjusts to the sleep deprivation after the first day without a drop of sleep in my opinion, but after day 2 I've seen shadows move from stationary objects and that's just something you really want to avoid lol. I always try to sleep after missing one day of sleep. It's just not good for you mentally/physically in any way.

I find adderall to be the most addicting substance on the planet. This is why I avoid meth. I don't even want to think about how much power a strong adderall would have over me.

My best advice is to feel the comedown actually! You've got to respect the negative side effects of drugs whether you like it or not. It teaches you to respect them. However, I find low dose kratom to help ease the comedowns and sometimes I actually feel good with the right strain and batch when I'm coming down.

Make sure that you do not go on speed runs daily. Maximum 3-4 days in a row. When it comes to adderall ab(use), you don't want to experience withdrawal symptoms. I at least never experience a lack of focus or depression/sluggishness because I avoid doing it daily and take breaks in between using. This drug is known as a softer narcotic, BUT DON'T BE FOOLED. It is incredibly powerful in regards to its effects. It has indeed ruined lives believe it or not and caused a large amount of grief for many users. Adderall is to meth what oxycodone is to heroin--just a lot safer and almost impossible to overdose on.

Try to limit your use and redosing if you can.. it will win over you some days and you will win over it with control other days. I know the feeling all too well. It's the only substance I abuse and am hooked on. But again--I avoid it daily and only use it 4 days in a row max if even. 2 days in a row is the most I try for before taking a break. It's easier to sleep if you eat a good amount of food before bed and do not go to bed hungry. Also, some people like Benadryl for adderall crashing/sleeping attempts but I find that it makes me so grouchy the next day lol. A light benzo can help you but benzo dependency is far worse than adderall abuse ever could be. And in time you might experience rebound anxiety if even worser symptoms. There's not much you can do for sleep--a notorious downside of stimulants that drives stimulant abusers literally crazy from psychosis-type episodes. Even if you miss a days sleep, you can take just a bit more the next day to remain functional. You'll at least feel baseline. Make sure you don't go two days without sleep is my advice. Things get a little weird after the second day of no rest. Your body adjusts to the sleep deprivation after the first day without a drop of sleep in my opinion, but after day 2 I've seen shadows move from stationary objects and that's just something you really want to avoid lol. I always try to sleep after missing one day of sleep. It's just not good for you mentally/physically in any way.
I agree with you, it's always been my favorite drug and I also will not touch meth because I know I'd like it too much.

I will only redose on the 2nd day, I never redose or stay awake after that, I've learned my lesson many times, psychosis multiple times, all the good stuff. I used to feel good binging for days. But that feeling is gone, no matter what I feel like shit the 2nd day. I make a point not to binge hard anymore. I do it 2 days a week, and sometimes skip a week or two.

I agree with you, it's always been my favorite drug and I also will not touch meth because I know I'd like it too much.

I will only redose on the 2nd day, I never redose or stay awake after that, I've learned my lesson many times, psychosis multiple times, all the good stuff. I used to feel good binging for days. But that feeling is gone, no matter what I feel like shit the 2nd day. I make a point not to binge hard anymore. I do it 2 days a week, and sometimes skip a week or two.

Luckily it's a good drug of choice to have in comparison to everything else out there lol. You don't have to worry about seizures after cessation like Benzos, overdosing like with opiates, or complete annihilation of the dopamine receptors within the brain like cocaine at least. And unlike cocaine, pharmaceutical amphetamines (speed) do not restrict blood-flow to the heart while accelerating heart rate. There's some information floating around out there about it negatively impacting the dopamine system, but I think that's obvious. People who do meth here and there try to state that adderall is the neuro-toxic one.. right.... like how could it be more harmful than meth with unknown cuts and variable potency? :oops: It's true that after many years of adderall abuse it would harden the body's blood vessels in more severe cases (I don't know how that negatively impacts the body). Just make sure that when you're not on adderall that you sleep, eat healthily, and practice good health and you should be absolutely fine. If you're dosing 200+ milligrams on a daily basis--like some actually do--obviously there will be more impact on ones health negatively after a period of time. My best advice is keep avoiding daily use so you don't go into adderall withdrawal phases and take breaks in between days the best you can. Tolerance rises with this substance even after infrequent use. I still remember when 20 milligrams would whoop me and in fact even seem too strong in effects. The good ole days!

I don't know what your doses are like as I did not read every post in this thread, but I tend to do recreational doses of about 90-120 milligrams and redose a bit after on. Indeed it is a lot, but during a dark time in my life after a depressing break-up I was taking WAY more and I still haven't noticed any negative effects of my use. I have a script for it by the way.

Xanax is great for stim comedowns, only probs is that someone using Adderall regularly would probs start to rely on it for comedowns and Benzos dependency is not a good place to be lol.

Besides Benzos there's not a super comfortable option imo. For some reason Benzos knock comedowns out of the water but it can make the crash unbearable next day depending on how much stimulants you took.