Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Actor James Gandolfini dead at 51

His Name Is Frank

Bluelight Crew
baf4930414e4c8d549de073fb0a3fe10.jpg

James Gandolfini, the New Jersey-bred actor who delighted audiences as mob boss Tony Soprano in “The Sopranos” has died following a massive heart attack in Italy, a source told the Daily News.
“Everyone is in tears,” the source close to the 51-year-old TV tough guy said.

A press-shy celeb who got his start as a character actor and became famous relatively late in his career — thanks to his breakout role on “The Sopranos,” Gandolfini has largely avoided the spotlight since the last season of the beloved show aired in 2007.
The burly Westwood, N.J. native has appeared in several supporting roles since then, playing the director of the CIA in “Zero Dark Thirty” and the gruff blue-collar father of a wannabe rock star in “Not Fade Away” last year.

Gandolfini won three Emmy Awards for his sparkling depiction of protagonist Tony Soprano, a mobster trying to balance the mundane stresses of family life and his unusual occupation: organized crime.

This is sad news. I was just re-watching The Sopranos a couple of days ago and wondered if he would ever come back to HBO and do another series. Rest in peace, James.

Link

Damn. That really sucks.

I'm kind of surprised that he was only 51. He probably had another 5-6 really good movies and an HBO series ahead of him if this hadn't happened.

yer ive just read this to a thought at first it was a troll posting another form

Oh god no. Not Jimmy G!

Fuck man, it seemed like he was getting back into acting lately and I was hoping to see him in more roles.

At least he died in Italy...there's some kinda poetry to that.

I am sad. :(

rip jimmy.

it makes me wonder, if he wasn't typecaste as a heavyset italian, would he have been able to land the roles we all love, and if so, did intentional maintenance of his size lead to an early grave. ... acting... there's something about it that's wrong.. .

Yeah I didn't realize he was 6'1, seeing him on tv made him look shorter because of the big stomach.

Sucks man, he was still pretty young.

rip jimmy.

it makes me wonder, if he wasn't typecaste as a heavyset italian, would he have been able to land the roles we all love, and if so, did intentional maintenance of his size lead to an early grave. ... acting... there's something about it that's wrong.. .

Stress + Fatness + Smoking is typically not a good combination in the middle years.

He's got a thread on reddit right now where a bunch of people are sharing cool stories about the guy (apparently, he was extremely cool and down-to-earth). He also just had a daughter born last year :(

Wow, this is surprising. Not that he seemed to be the pinnacle of health and fitness or anything, but still pretty shocking.

RIP :(

Deeply shocked. Not quite enough to bring tears to my eyes, but still saddened at a huge loss to the acting community. The irony of it is, IMO, he would've gotten far more work if he hadn't been so good at playing Tony Soprano.

Damn! Definitely sad news. His best work was in the Sopranos, but thought he would have had a few more significant roles in movies. Disappointing for sure

in a dozen years--or whenever she is old enough to appreciate that the actor, not the character, is her father--his daughter is going to watch The Sopranos and just ball through all 50 million episodes. she will watch her father pretend to raise a fictional family. girl is gonna hate jamie-lynn sigler.

Stress + Fatness + Smoking is typically not a good combination in the middle years.
My point was staying in that shape could have been for the work. :(

He's got a thread on reddit right now where a bunch of people are sharing cool stories about the guy (apparently, he was extremely cool and down-to-earth).
a mate of mine met him and he backs that up. as an aussie touring the states, james actually put in a bit of time to have a chat with him. i got my mate to upload their photo together on facebook (finally) today in commemoration.

i feel especially sad for the baby.

I remember reading in a interview with one of the Soprano kids(I think it was AJ) that David Chase encouraged all the actors that made up the Soprano family to keep on some extra pounds. For authenticity's sake, or some such nonsense. Not that Gandolfini necessarily needed encouragement but I still found it odd.
Regardless, RIP. He played the complicated bad guy as well as anyone.

yea he was great in true romance and of course the sopranos. kinda shocked by this. didnt think he was extra out of shape and unhealthy, so sad man.

RIP you are not only a great actor but a great person