• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Acid - is it the meaning of life?

Considering that we have dominated every other apex predator despite our relatively puny physical form, it could very well be said that the world has come to revolve around us.

I mean, dogs are a canine species so long domesticated that some breeds now lack basic survival instincts. Even the evolution of the primordial cockroach has been greatly effected by the presence of human beings, including their dependence upon our shelter, feeding, and waste disposal habits.

Have cockroaches become dependent on us? Or have they simply adapted brilliantly to our habits? Aren't they the ones who will survive nuclear war, not us?

I'm not selling humans short. We have undoubtedly achieved some wonderful things. I just don't think it's sensible to let those achievements run away with themselves. Life is constantly evolving and nothing stays top of the food chain forever. In terms of measurable time, our time is but a comparative blink of an eye up to now.

We only think (and there's our shortfall as well as our greatness) that life revolves around us. Five out of six living things is a beetle isn't it? I'm pretty sure, given our minds, they'd think life revolves around them.

Life means more than human life. To think otherwise is to miss the balance of the world.

EDIT - Almost forgot, sorry. Re dogs lacking basic survival instincts. You know when they do that cocked head and pleading eyes thing in front of you for scraps? And you give them to them? Who is winning there? That's one of the most modern evolutionary adaptions of a survival instinct.

Last edited:
Yep, the point I'm making is that it is only our ego-centrism that attaches 'meaning' to our lives (or tries, and inevitably fails, leaving us with only existential angst). Dogs, cockroaches et al don't sit around wondering about the meaning of their lives (in my estimation). They just 'be'. And with every moment we sit around getting distracted by our 'logical' minds wondering about meaning, we move ourselves away from the natural balance that the rest of nature effortlessly attains...to some degree.

Good point shm - perhaps I don't mean "meaning" then - perhaps "makes life worth living" is more accurate.

Have cockroaches become dependent on us? Or have they simply adapted brilliantly to our habits? Aren't they the ones who will survive nuclear war, not us?

I'm not selling humans short. We have undoubtedly achieved some wonderful things. I just don't think it's sensible to let those achievements run away with themselves. Life is constantly evolving and nothing stays top of the food chain forever. In terms of measurable time, our time is but a comparative blink of an eye up to now.

We only think (and there's our shortfall as well as our greatness) that life revolves around us. Five out of six living things is a beetle isn't it? I'm pretty sure, given our minds, they'd think life revolves around them.

Life means more than human life. To think otherwise is to miss the balance of the world.

EDIT - Almost forgot, sorry. Re dogs lacking basic survival instincts. You know when they do that cocked head and pleading eyes thing in front of you for scraps? And you give them to them? Who is winning there? That's one of the most modern evolutionary adaptions of a survival instinct.

I agree with what you say here, but to nitpick, what does it mean to be at the top of the food chain (or web)? Which species is dependent? Are we able to create oxygen and food for ourselves (in the sense of photosynthesis)? As i understand it, all species are interdependent in a dynamic balance - there's no top (though if there was it'd be the bacterial web which provides the environment for us to live in - microbes are 25 times the mass of all multicellular life (i read somewhere))(...the concept of dynamic eqilibrium is close to what i'd consider an objective meaning of life (to drag it on topic))

Last edited:
I agree with what you say here, but to nitpick, what does it mean to be at the top of the food chain (or web)? Which species is dependent? Are we able to create oxygen and food for ourselves (in the sense of photosynthesis)? As i understand it, all species are interdependent in a dynamic balance - there's no top

No argument here. I was just trying to put things in terms newportnews (the person I was replying to) might more easily relate to.

I think meaning is something which only applies to life itself (and mostly to us humans really), so if outside of us there is indifference, how can there be an objective kind of meaning?

so if psychedelics are the meaning of your life, no one can really argue with that...

I think that if a trip is taken in a certain way then it can reveal everything that a person has been searching for. This being said I also think that would require great preparation before the trip and I think some of the time during the trip would need to be spent alone. I've definitely gotten answers to questions during a trip, however I wouldn't say that I prepared enough for it to unveil the meaning of my existence.

I may be the minority here but it seems to me that with most psychedelics I've done, LSD being the one I have the most experience with, I will have these grand realizations and epiphanies and then they kind of disappear into thin air. A lot of them have made me feel like there is no real point to anything but I have kind of struggled with that my whole life. I've decided we as human beings ultimately decide what has meaning and purpose in our lives and it is up us to make our lives meaningful.

Yes, same here. A lot of those psychedelic epiphanies are hard to retain after the trip is over, and I'd always be confused about that too. So when I could, I'd write/type them out if I'm able to.

I've come to realize that these substances bring out knowledge that we already had before we even took it. It's just understood and known in an entirely different angle, or it broadens the scope of it. And it's almost like tapping into our subconscious, or conscious information that is usually very hard to reach under normal circumstances, and seeing what is underneath our thoughts, actions and what drives us. Or even how we perceive our lives and the world around us.

I have been in this since I was 18, but I was able to turn it into a positive occurrence. Many of us do not fit the popular and demeaning "druggy" person by a long shot, and I feel like BL represents this overall as a whole. Especially all you smarties posting advanced info that I have learned from, and I never bought into these stereotypes but I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed by this. And by "this," I mean you all showing that indulging in substances doesn't have a negative effect on your lives either, and especially your smarts. :)

Acid is not the meaning of life... But it feels so powerful because it breaks down barriers that allow us to actually see and understand, with the right knowledge, the true meaning of life.

My entire universal view, world view, reality, whatever u want to call it, was shaped in part to an amazing mushroom trip which showed me that i am not the physical body. This started a quest by which I found Bhakti Yoga, or the science of identity..
my trip showed me a system.. the laws of nature. by which we are all governed in this universe.. we are given a body that is suitable to our desires, consciusness, and karma. reincarnation was demonstrated in front of my eyes and in my heart.. i was shown how i had already reincarnated many times since being a baby.. my body now contained not even a single atom that was present when i was born.. we are all a part of this viscous cycle of birth, death, rebirth,, and after my trip on mushrooms, i was driven to find a way to end the misery of being an ETERNAL being, in a TEMPORARY body and world.. this is the cause of all pain... there is a way out... i hope you find your path to truth... u are eternal :)

I've come to realize that these substances bring out knowledge that we already had before we even took it. It's just understood and known in an entirely different angle, or it broadens the scope of it. And it's almost like tapping into our subconscious, or conscious information that is usually very hard to reach under normal circumstances, and seeing what is underneath our thoughts, actions and what drives us. Or even how we perceive our lives and the world around us.

I don't know whether I get much knowledge or insights I can use in the sober life - it's more the ability to reach a state of euphoria and ecstasy beyond all comprehension. A state you could never, ever reach when sober. That's the benefit for me.

I wish psychedelics had never been associated with religions in any form - it's something that happened in the late 60s and now you're stuck with all the people who claim "Yes psychedelics are good but if you study bullshit Hinduism you'll be high permanently". For me the point is the euphoria. I think euphoria is the best medicine I could ever have.

(this again ;)) i'd say psychedelics are associated with religions because they magnify your mind, and mind is where religions come from (among other things) - and soma and delphi were before the 60s

I think there's something very different between being sober and tripping tho. It's a limitation of the language. There's only so many ways to say "i felt euphoric". I've probably felt euphoric when I was sober a few times but there's no way it was anything remotely like tripping.

A lot of those psychedelic epiphanies are hard to retain after the trip is over,

I've come to realize that these substances bring out knowledge that we already had before we even took it. :)[/QUOT

Both of these statements resonate with me.

now you're stuck with all the people who claim "Yes psychedelics are good but if you study bullshit Hinduism you'll be high permanently".

I don't think anyone says that. Some people have intensely spiritual experiences on psychedelics and then wish to find ways to bring that into their everyday life. Some people spout nonsense on the topic and some people are sensible about it. I had some intensely spiritual experiences that changed my life and for me were the way in which I became aware of myself spiritually. I used a whole lot of psychedelics over the years and the result has been that I mostly find myself in that psychedelic viewpoint at all times now... I often just stop and gaze around in wonder at the miracle of existing, and at the sublime beauty of nature. Nowadays I mostly continue to use psychedelics just because I enjoy them and they feel refreshing. My experiences aren't really more spiritual anymore than every day feels to me. But before them, I did not have this viewpoint.

I think there's something very different between being sober and tripping tho. It's a limitation of the language. There's only so many ways to say "i felt euphoric". I've probably felt euphoric when I was sober a few times but there's no way it was anything remotely like tripping.

I did say magnify. There's alot more to tripping than euphoria imo - euphoria is a possible downstream result of expanded consciousness, but not the only one; and i'd miss out a lot if it was only that i experienced - i might as well take mdma which is at least consistently euphoric.

Acid magnifies your consciousness - this is also what some eastern (and western) spiritual practices can do when applied 'correctly' (as can just reading a lot, or being nice) - this consciousness that's being magnified is chock full of religious (and other) 'archetypes', so it's unsurprising that the end results overlap (though intensities obviously differ). (on past readings) you're just a bit biased against religion-related ways of accessing what is after all the same consciousness - you'll often say you don't believe anyone telling you that they achieved higher consciousness purely from meditation; well i could say the same to any acid user, but it would be futile (and i'm not a solipsist) (i'm not saying many gurus/fakirs don;t embellish/make shit up, but so do many trippers). I think you protest too much at the suggestion that anyone can get these effects from acid, but only dedication and patience can achieve similar through meditiation. Don't get me wrong: i'm exactly one of the people who haven't got the patience for the meditation method and prefer acid, but i know people who are better than me who have - you can take my word for it if you like.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone says that.

Yeah they do - I was reading a book last night where a Hindul from the 70s said if you study with me you will reach an LSD high permanently without LSD.

Acid magnifies your consciousness - this is also what some eastern (and western) spiritual practices can do when applied 'correctly' (as can just reading a lot, or being nice) - this consciousness that's being magnified is chock full of religious (and other) 'archetypes', so it's unsurprising that the end results overlap (though intensities obviously differ).

I think you could study Hinduism/Buddhism/etc for decades and never experience an LSD high. In fact I know you can because I did it. But you certainly gain knowledge of the language - so if you feel a bit different during meditation that becomes "I was at one with everything".

you'll often say you don't believe anyone telling you that they achieved higher consciousness purely from meditation

I don't know what "higher consciousness" is to be honest. I know for certain that you can never achieve the state of being on LSD from not being on LSD.

i'm exactly one of the people who haven't got the patience for the meditation method and prefer acid, but i know people who are better than me who have

Unfortunately I don't believe that Vurt :) To me that smacks of "We can all be billionaires if only we worked hard enough".

Incidentally I certainly don't think acid is for everyone - it's only going to have this effect on a tiny minority of people. Most people won't enjoy it or get anything from it. Presumably it's the same with eastern religions - a few people will feel it's been good for them and the rest will be wasting their time.

Last edited:
I don't know whether I get much knowledge or insights I can use in the sober life - it's more the ability to reach a state of euphoria and ecstasy beyond all comprehension. A state you could never, ever reach when sober. That's the benefit for me.

I wish psychedelics had never been associated with religions in any form - it's something that happened in the late 60s and now you're stuck with all the people who claim "Yes psychedelics are good but if you study bullshit Hinduism you'll be high permanently". For me the point is the euphoria. I think euphoria is the best medicine I could ever have.

Haha. I do believe others can reach some "mystical" states from meditation or what not. But I don't think I can myself, unless I spend years straight dedicating myself to it...something I'm not willing to do to find out. I'd rather take the trypt shortcut. ;)

Yeah, for me any important info I can find through psychs are just a bonus; it's mostly just to have fun and enjoy them for what they are.

Religions are good for people in general, especially because it brings hope and order to almost all cultures/traditions/regions. I'm not particularly religious, but I do believe in God and Jesus.

Euphoria, or happiness, is definitely needed to live a proper and healthy life.

For me the problem with LSD is it will always answer questions however it will bring new questions into my life. It can never answer everything

"Meaning of life"? It's a drug you dirty hippies. Albeit a fun one :)