• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Acid - is it the meaning of life?

Obviously acid/mushrooms arn't the answer for everyone but they're certainly the answer for me. Perhaps they appeal most strongly to the rather introverted, contemplative types.

I got sick and tired of all the zen/buddhist/tao stuf - at the end of the day you're just listening to someone elses opinion. Who cares what some fucker thought - you need to feel it yourself to get any benefit from it. I do anyway. I was reading a book on early man and it said the only scientifically reliable indicator of human happiness is physical pleasure.Maybe euphoria is the most important emotion for human well-being. I do think profound psychedelic physical euphoria is an incredibly powerful tool for enhancing your appreciation and enjoyment of life.

I don't think there's any meaningful answer that you can translate into words - it's just the experience of an intense psychedelic euphoria that makes the human spirit feel glad to be alive. Obviously there are moments when you're sober when you can feel glad to be alive out in nature or something but there's nothing remotely as powerful as an acid/mushroom euphoria to feel profound,absolute joy.

Do dogs take acid? Cockroaches? Then it's not the meaning of life is it?

Oh you meant for humans! Egocentric, the world revolves around us humans?

Nope, still no meaning attachment.

Bloody good tool for the alteration of consciousness mind.

True - I am just sticking to the meaning of our own lives at the mo shm, perhaps we can move onto the nature of life later ;)

As I've never had an ego-death perhaps I am egocentric...

LSD is a really immersive, complex, dare I even say fun substance.

Maybe it's not the meaning of life, but it's like a fine wine at a banquet, or a roller coaster ride. It adds spice and enrichment in a wonderful way.

Issy, are you tripping right now?? :D Unusual idealism from you <3

I don't think LSD or any psychedelic is the meaning of life so to speak. I believe they can massively enhance your life though. They are incredibly powerful, but they can also have negative effect on you. But that is how it should be, I don't trust anything that is either all good or all bad.

Psychedelics are like life in that they are devoid of meanining but require a human mind to gain meaning.

newportnews said:
I could never get into the whole, "life is suffering," argument. Life is pretty fucking awesome.

I've never liked the way world-religions look at life as suffering. But I think it is equally inaccurate to say the opposite. It makes it seem trivial like attaining satisfaction in life is relatively simple because life is inherently good. It might be, but we are animals who have evolved to detect threats and danger in our environment. We are 'programmed' to detect things that frighten and threaten us. With the hardware rattling around our heads, I don't think we will ever be totally content; its our nature.

Max said:
i think tripping explains the meaning of religion

Why are you denigrating psychedelics again? ;)

True - I am just sticking to the meaning of our own lives at the mo shm, perhaps we can move onto the nature of life later ;)

That last line struck a chord in me. We all are, and we all have to be, simply to survive. Someone could be the nicest person around, aka a saint, and that person would still have to be somewhat egocentric. Who's going to take care of you if no one around you is, not even yourself? There's no need to attribute any negativity to that last line, unless lines are crossed badly with a total lack of empathy. :)

I can be egocentric too, particularly if I'm mad/upset/serious, and I've had an ego loss three times (arguably four) now. But it doesn't mean you can't be a nice, good person too, and also experience an ego loss while you're at it.

That state is really hard to reach, and I'm not sure anyone can go into a trip and plan/expect it. It's no biggie if you don't get it; I actually value having good, fun trips far more than an ego loss trip. Besides, you can still have very mind-opening, insightful trips below a +4. :)

I wouldn't say meaning of life as personally I find psilocin more effective in teaching hardcore spiritual lessons of your role. It taught me that knowledge/learning is key and left me on a quest for knowledge and truth as such.

For me acid is the tool for showing the light or love within life or reality. Provided you get the right setting of where you want to be exactly and doing purely what you wish to do and enjoy most I find that even in the darkest of times acid can show the beauty of life that is constantly there that we sometimes forget to observe. It's also one of the best self-analysis tools or methods I've ever came across, particularly in post-peak combinations with weed.

LSD is also the best for showing the inter-connectedness of everything.

(+5 years experience of regular use of LSD)

We found the meaning of life. :)

I'm not sure why we have to assume life has meaning. If it does, how can we know it? How can we know that our definition is correct? I prefer to think that it is meaningless except for what we personally invest in it. Gives you the freedom to make life about finding long-lasting happiness and peace or about having a great afternoon nap. Whatever you want.

^Well, I was saying that I don't think we have found the meaning of life....

Subjectively life does have meaning for just about all of us. I don't think we will find a scientific objective meaning we can all agree on, however subjectively our family, friends, loved ones, the music we love, etc all have personal meaning. And that is REALLY important to our lives. To me that is meaning. I know, very poetic but not scientific, but who cares? It is important to us as humans. At the very least the Universe created beings that need to assign meaning to things. At least humans do. Mother Nature did something interesting there. I will use that inborn nature to assign meaning, because as Kl519 stated, meaning is what matters. At the very least we create a funner more meaningful life by following what matters to us.

^I sort of feel like 'meaning' is the wrong word for those things, but I take your point. Life can have any quality you want.

Psychedelics can help to give you a sense of freedom from your thoughts and preconceptions... Help you see a bit more clearly perhaps :)

That they do. :)

I think the meaning of life is BlueLight.

How about that?

I think there is a meaning outside our personal meaning (but that they end up the same). The fact that there's life and stars and so many complex structures at the fractal edges the universe when the previous nihilistic god of entropy says there should be nothing interesting going on; seems to me the 'meaning' of the universe is to create novelty and increase intelligence (love) in balance with the destructive action of entropy (fear) (shiva the creator and destroyer if you like) - both parts are needed to fuel the endless dialectical process of becoming. The infinite becoming present moment is the meaning, the means and the end (blame 1plsd if that's too cosmic ;).

When asking about the meaning of life, most people want - in my eyes - actually ask: What is my purpose / Why am I on this planet / Why do I have to live in this world ?

Not that I want to be a smart ass, but from my personal experience, I only ask myself this question when I struggle with my live. When I am confident, I don't mind the universe and stuff - I am just happy. Only when I am unsatisfied, I will start bothering with this question. But when I am happy again, I feel it was just pathetic to ask.

I guess, a lot of people have - in their eyes - a meaningful life. They have no need for complex philosophical questions and therefore don't ask them. They just try to live as it pleases them and don't think much about it. For them the meaning of life is meaningless. In my opinion, the question only arises, once the feeling - of not being confident with life - has arisen. Its more of a personal question, then a abstract question about the world in general.

Maybe don't ask your self, what should you seek in life, but how can you pursuit happiness. If your answer is: just by acid; then maybe its the meaning of - your - life?

Yep, the point I'm making is that it is only our ego-centrism that attaches 'meaning' to our lives (or tries, and inevitably fails, leaving us with only existential angst). Dogs, cockroaches et al don't sit around wondering about the meaning of their lives (in my estimation). They just 'be'. And with every moment we sit around getting distracted by our 'logical' minds wondering about meaning, we move ourselves away from the natural balance that the rest of nature effortlessly attains...to some degree.