View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

achieving the best visuals

psykedenlitenment

Bluelighter
This is kind of a remedial question, however.... I never seem to get good visuals and am wondering if I'm not looking hard enough or is my attention too scattered to zero in on them? I guess when I notice the most is when I'm using the restroom (yeah, I sit on psychedelics) or when I'm jamming out on the six string, both scenarios staring at the carpet, like Hunter checking into the hotel in Fear and Loathing.

How do you trigger your visuals?

I always compare the visuals to how things usually look when sober.

Of course, we do this automatically, but I make it a point to concentrate on that aspect of visuals. I'll basically have the mindset that I should see things normally. So when that doesn't happen, the subtle changes start to take over.

It also depends on what psychedelics we're talking about too. :)

Take more? If you want visuals, pick a drug known for visuals and increase the dose until you get them. On 450 ug of AL-LAD you're not gonna have to concentrate or try to see visuals.

Go outside if you're not already where you can observe things from a distance of 20-30m+. I find the strongest visuals occur on distant objects while outdoors particularly on trees and clouds, I find they're my favourite visuals too. Other than that, take more. Or take a more visual psychedelic.

relax,
pay attention to something else but keep visiting your peripheral vision, and vague shadows.
visuals encroach from the unfocussed or unconstrained part, and then they take over everything.

Smoke some DMT.
Eat some DMT.
Shoot some DMT
Do DMT, the visuals are without peer.

Last edited:
Haha, thanks phuckingnutz! I, personally, see DMT as like grad school material, although I've tried it a few times without breaking through. Ayahuasca and Ibogaine (sp??) would be in that category also. (Meaning, I don't quite think I'm ready for em)

I guess another way to say my issue is: as soon as I notice them creeping in, I try to watch them and they run away. Similar to the little squiggly lines in your eyes. You can't chase them successfully.

As far my substances are concerned, I have an array of substances that should do this, any my doses are typical 4-subs @~20mgs, unless it's a weaker substance, say 4-x-dipt, then I'll take more.

Thanks for your amusing and serious responses!! Short story shorter, I'll just relax more, chill outside and wait for them to reveal themselves. Tomorrow, I'll practice with 4-ho-met @ around 22mgs.

LSD + 2c-b gives me my favorite visuals at lower doses. 150 mics of LSD + 25 mgs of 2cb and everyone's dressed in animated rainbow moire clothing, beautiful colored vines scale the walls, the air flows in transparent arabic patterns. Since I don't like high doses of rc's (because of body effects), a little dash of lsd turns up the color. (I don't get strong visuals from LSD alone unless it's a high dose, which isn't really appropriate for being out in public). ~20mgs 4-sub (I usually dose at that level too) aren't very visual for me, except subtly in the way the clouds race across the sky, reflections on water, typical things like that. I find plain old mushrooms a little more visual than the rc's.

Not everyone really gets that visual of experiences. Pressing on your eyes tends to have an effect though I'm not sure how safe that is.

I would say the best way to strengthen visuals without simply taking more of the drug is to deprive yourself of visual sensory stimuli; ie. laying in a pitch black room staring at your ceiling

The most sensitive tools for noticing the visual distortions of psychedelics are very simple displays of order like grid paper, or of very little order like white wall. As mentioned previously, pay attention to peripheral vision. That's the part of the visual field with the fewest retinal cells to receive photons from the environment, so your brain (whose perception is being influenced by psychedelics) has to fill more of it in.
Double_system_e.jpg

Last edited:
The most sensitive tools for noticing the visual distortions of psychedelics are very simple displays of order like grid paper, or of very little order like white wall. As mentioned previously, pay attention to peripheral vision. That's the part of the visual field with the fewest retinal cells to receive photons from the environment, so your brain (whose perception is being influenced by psychedelics) has to fill more of it in.

Great post, very good way of articulating that information. I'm wondering who decided to put the text on that picture in Comic Sans...

As other have said, upping the dose is probably the easiest way to go about making the visuals more interesting. If you are not willing or not ready to do this, you can bring them out by staring into the distance and defocusing your eyes slightly. It's simply a matter of staring at something long enough and not moving your eyes. Within seconds (depending on dose/substance) things should start breathing and moving. The longer you can maintain your gaze without blinking or following the visuals the more interesting they will become.

Walls and existing patterns can help bring them out more easily. Outside gravel or pebble paths work well for me too, grass moving in the wind is great as well and of course the clouds!

First of all, not everybody gets as many visuals as others. There is a quite significant difference in the level of visuals experienced between users. I don't get very many, but it's not the most important aspect of tripping anyway.

Second, taking a higher dose just to achieve more visuals isn't always the answer. If you take too much, your trip will not be as fun or as meaningful as you would want. I think it's important to find your personal sweet-spot dose. At or around this dose you will have the best chance to have an optimal experience. Dosing (much) higher is usually not beneficial, and increases the risk of a bad trip.

As mentioned above, LSD combined with 2C-B is very visual. Other combinations might work as well, but this is the most visual one I found so far, and provides a very nice trip.

Relaxing is important, physically and mentally, to see visuals.

Staring at something helps, as mentioned above. Clouds are my favorite.

Great posts!!! Science, techniques, reason, experience!!! Great stuff. Unfortunately, I missed the bus with the 2c-x's by about 3 months. Actually got in when NBOMes were new and novel. Saw them on the news, actually and sadly (the Richmond Virginia story). I have a tab and a half of lsd supposedly dosed at 180 mics. DOC would be the closest I could safely get to that combo, but I need more research with DOC. Maybe this weekend, I'll drop either the half or whole and toss some 4-ho-met/mipt on top and see what happens. What would timings look like on this?

I would say the best way to strengthen visuals without simply taking more of the drug is to deprive yourself of visual sensory stimuli; ie. laying in a pitch black room staring at your ceiling
I've heard this before but it doesn't make sense to me at all. It sounds about as logical as taking meth and trying to get to sleep.
Psychedelics make everything look so beautiful, colorful and alive. They can cause some really crazy visual phenomena, like this:

zdFa1.jpg

I recommend tripping in a natural setting on a nice sunny day. If you're in a pitch black room then all you're going to get is closed-eye visuals - it's kind of a waste of a trip.

@psykedenlitenment: if you're going to try combining drugs, be extra cautious. Some combos aren't safe, check http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/648356-List-of-Dangerous-amp-Potentially-Unsafe-Combinations

And dose significantly lower than usual with both substances. Synergy can boost the intensity a lot. Also try searching Bluelight and other sources to see if other people tried your intended combo before.

I'm actually very curious to combining LSD with DOC. I'll try this one someday.

I've heard this before but it doesn't make sense to me at all. It sounds about as logical as taking meth and trying to get to sleep.
Psychedelics make everything look so beautiful, colorful and alive.

I recommend tripping in a natural setting on a nice sunny day. If you're in a pitch black room then all you're going to get is closed-eye visuals - it's kind of a waste of a trip.

If you think CEV's are a waste of a trip then you haven't tried smoking DMT...or high dose mushrooms for that matter.

If you think CEV's are a waste of a trip then you haven't tried smoking DMT...or high dose mushrooms for that matter.
CEVs aren't a waste of time at all - that's not what I said. What I said was that it's kind of a waste of a trip to confine yourself to a pitch black room staring at your eyelids... that's not how you get the most out of a trip. One of the things psychedelics do is make everyday things look different, so visual stimuli is essential.
You don't need even need darkness for CEVs - some of the best CEVs I've ever had were while lying next to a river on a summer's day with a head full of acid. The best thing is you can open your eyes whenever you want and see the amazing open-eye visual effects as well.

Tolerance has everything to do with visuals for me.

When I was in a drug stupor of everything I could get my hands on, I was smoking up to .5 grams of DMT a day.

I can honestly say that during that time, I could smoke .5 gram of DMT in one smoke session and only feel slightly dizzy afterwards with absolutely no visuals whatsoever.

I got more visuals the first several times smoking weed than I did smoking DMT with a tolerance.