AA - Inexperienced - Take what you want, and leave the rest.

Mariposa

Bluelight Crew
I thought it might be fun to write this in the style of a "trip report," since my somewhat new complete abstinence from alcohol is somewhat of a "trip" for me. Although alcoholism is not to be made light of as it is a serious and often fatal illness, it is important to maintain a sense of humor in all aspects of life.

My name is (not really) Mariposa and I am a lush. I like that better than "drunk" or "alcoholic".

I am not the kind of lush that crashes cars. I've never had alcohol poisoning. I've never been addicted to another drug (besides at past points, possibly caffeine and nicotine)... and it's not because I'm innocent. I was not ordered by the courts or an employer into AA. I went on my own.

And now I am several days abstinent (well over a week) from alcohol. I've now been to two large meetings and one small one.

I attended my first meeting with a friend I've become reacquainted with from high school. She is mostly sober, just occasional wine, and she does not use any drugs - she's a natural health freak and it shows (in the good way). :) Her presence in my life alone has helped my depression lift; the same is true for several friends who have recently renewed ties with me. It was a beginners' meeting. Being relatively young women that don't look like we've lived a hard life got us a bit of attention immediately. It wasn't creepy. There was of course, a speaker, who had lost THREE MARRIAGES to his alcoholism. I really can't say more than that for anonymity purposes. Others spoke about what alcohol had taken from them, why they were there (some voluntarily, some not so much), and how they have remained and plan to remain abstinent from alcohol.

I should note at this time that I do not intend to discontinue any of my legal prescriptions and the possibility that I will party in ways that have not been problematic is very much there. This excludes me from ultra-orthodox AA types. This is where "take what you want, and leave the rest" comes in. I am also pro-medicinal marijuana and I am agnostic in the truest sense; I do not know or claim to know whether "God" exists, one way or the other. I feel I have no true way of knowing. I'll find out when my demise comes, I suppose. And now I know my demise does not have to come from alcohol.

Why not?

Because I am choosing not to drink in this moment, today. The "one day at a time" thing sounds like jargon at first. But it is a simple thing I can do, or rather not do, to stop myself from engaging in a habit that was threatening to destroy my life. I lost respect for myself when I was a heavy drinker; I expect others lost respect for me in some ways. Maybe some people stopped being my friend because of it, too. But those people weren't real friends. I suppose the one blessing that came from my problem drinking was that I was able to weed out the people who were self-interested instead of oriented toward true friendship and companionship. I have a lot more friends all of a sudden now that I don't drink. I've kept my social calendar full, avoiding situations which might tempt me to drink. I've been more physically active. My appetite has come back yet I have not put on weight. I crave healthy foods. It is a very odd and surprisingly rapid transformation.

The fellowship and brutal honesty displayed by the AA members whose stories I heard brought tears to my eyes. I have never been in a room with so many people who were making honest, painful admissions. Yet it was not tense. There was no judgment. There was an immense sense of relief that pervaded the room. And yes, everyone was loaded on caffeine. ;)

I do not yet have a sponsor nor am I quite sure who yet to ask. The people I "buddied up" with right away were an attractive aspiring actor my age (28) and his sponsor, a hippie-type handwriting analyst/gardener in his fifties. There are a couple women my age who are also newbies and friendly. It is recommended that if you ask for a sponsor (not everyone does) that they be of the gender that you do not prefer sexually, and sexual involvement between sponsor and newbie is a MAJOR NO-NO. My ideal sponsor, demographically, would therefore be a woman a little older than me, married/partnered, perhaps with kids, who has been sober at least a year. I am sure I will know her when I find her... or perhaps I will click with someone completely different. My mind is open.

I suppose that what shocked me was that there were so many people that had been sober fewer than 24 hours. Some people were visibly drunk; some had obviously done serious physical damage (noticed slurring and DTs in several of those who spoke). I have avoided that. I still feel a bit "toxic" from alcohol, but I expect that is all in my head. I am healing cognitively and physically.

My Higher Power is myself. It is not a coffee cup, it is not a patriarchal deity. One of my former criticisms of AA and 12-stepping in general is that it "disempowers" the alcoholic/addict into failing to take ownership of their addiction. I do not feel that way. I feel that the higher, more virtuous, loving, growth-oriented, brave and wise part of me is watching over the baser part of me that rendered me powerless over a powerful toxin that was ruining my life.

I do not know if I will ever transition into controlled drinking - that is not consistent with AA values and I wish to be authentic in this process. There may come a day when I can enjoy that glass of cabernet or that snifter of Grey Goose without hearing the call away from dealing with my problems and my emotions.

My plan is to attend two meetings per week - the atheist/agnostic group, and the beginners group. No 90 meetings in 90 days for me; that's just ridiculous - I am there of my own volition, and I want to be fully THERE. It is said that alcoholism strikes the lonely and the perfectionistic. I feel that way much of the time. But now I have the will to call someone to hang out when I feel lonely. When I make a mistake, I don't feel like I need to get drunk and feel sorry for myself. I just do something else. My house has never been cleaner, my cats have never been happier, and I look and feel different. The strain my problem caused on my relationship (he is not an alcoholic) is slowly but surely lifting.

And all it takes is having enough self control not to put alcohol into my body, one moment, one hour, one day at a time. No one is proselytizing to me, though I can see how some of the literature (particularly the Big Book) can be read that way. I do not feel manipulated, controlled, or helpless. Rather, I have a new sense of confidence and autonomy that I looked for in the bottle but was never quite able to find. I think my Higher Power wants me to believe in myself - keep the good for myself, and turn the bad over to where the bad things go, as far away as possible.

That's about it for now. I'm not a "believer" and this program is NO substitute for professional help. I am on Step 4, where I am taking a fearless moral inventory of myself and how alcohol has damaged my life. It is painful at times but it is for my benefit. I am a better person for remaining abstinent from alcohol for now. There's a lot of learning and experience I missed out on when I was drunk, like nature, fitness, photography, languages, and most of all, friendship and true love. I have a treatable illness that since I caught it in time, will not ruin my life. Anyone who would stigmatize me for admitting this can go die in a fire.

I owe a special thanks to those who have candidly shared their stories of addiction, whether they are 12-steppers or not. Thank you for helping me understand that we are truly all in this together while remaining responsible for ourselves. One day at a time. :)

If you'd like to know more, please ask in this thread but as my problem drinking remains a sensitive issue, I reserve the right to decline to answer to protect what I have not disclosed on behalf of self and others.

Thank you for listening.

Mariposa (no longer a walking time-bomb) :)

Well done Mari. That was a clear, concise and very moving account of your beginning steps toward being healthy - the kind of healthy that you need to be.

I feel so proud of you, and I know the process of writing this would have been very cathartic. Keep it up. It certainly looks like you're going about this in the perfect way for you. <3

Excellent post! It is always nice to see others make an effort to improve their lives. Addiction to any substance is a hard life, and breaking that cycle can be one of the most freeing feeling in the world.

As far as AA goes, I would say you are taking all the right steps. You should be doing this for you, and should not have to be forced into a certain routine or adhere to every rule, just as long as it doesn't present too much of a negative consequence in your life. In regards to a sponsor I was told to find someone who you want what they have. For example, I attend NA, and found a guy who was always happy and smiling for the most part, had a job, had a family, and was just an overall really good person. Thats what I want out of life....I mean it would suck to get clean/sober just to be miserable and alone ya know?

Anyways I just wanted to say good job and I'm proud of you! If you ever need anything or are having a hard time feel free to PM me. Best of luck!

I like that - the power to not drink is you. Although I doubt I will ever give up my wine at night, I know that if I do it is all within myself to do it.

PS. Aren't you near me? If'n you ever need a girlie night out, let me know. I need a break from work! I'm terribly perky. LOL But I love my Starbucks coffee.

<3Mariposa This sound like its working great for you:)

I've had two AA periods. I don't regret anything about at all. People in a big city have a huge advantage in that there are many clubs and meetings to choose from. My area used to have many midnight meetings which were my favorite but there aren't any midnight meetings right now.

Feeling that you have an acceptable tribe of your own choosing and a sober fellowship is by itself pretty powerful. Bradshaw's explanation of some of the efficacy of AA is that telling your story again and again in a non-judgmental atmosphere eventually discharges the shame built up around the addiction which is a huge impediment to recovery.

Bradshaw's explanation of some of the efficacy of AA is that telling your story again and again in a non-judgmental atmosphere eventually discharges the shame built up around the addiction which is a huge impediment to recovery.
^Wow, that makes so much sense. My Father is an alcoholic, and I've noticed his severe reluctance to confront his issue is solidly based on incredible guilt and shame. Nobody outside of our family knows, for this exact reason.

Thanks for sharing this.

^yeah Enki you really hit the nail on the head. This has been the single most helpful part of going to meetings and talking about my shit straight up. Before I got clean I swore I would take these secrets to my grave, and jsut thinking about them would fuck me up real bad in the head. Now it's like a giant weight has been lifted off of me and I no longer let these dark parts of my past rule my life.

Mariposa-
This was an amazing post.
Well Done on staying sober over a week now!!! YAY YOU!
I know you have plenty of people to turn to if you're having a rough day but we're always here for you!
Please continue to keep us updated!

Thanks everyone <3

COTB, you are such a positive and cool individual. We need to wind up on the same continent somehow. My father is also an alcoholic, only he is practicing. He is open to the idea but thinks it's a cult and he is an atheist. I do NOT want to attend a meeting with him, EVER!

mdmpna, thanks for the compliment and your support. :)

I have a lot of goals that involve removing the stigma surrounding addiction and mental illness. I am dual diagnosed (well, triple) in that I'm both a lush and a unipolar depressive - the third is panic disorder. Alcohol was my DOC because it did so much for anxiety. But it was all false. The confidence I need to get and maintain in myself does not lie in a bottle or a gutter. It's been inside all along; I was just too self-medicated to realize it.

I'll be a bit more explicit about some of the dumb shit I did privately at the meeting than I ever would publicly. I hope that my experience dispels some of the myths surrounding AA. I was expecting a warm reception and lovebombing. I did not expect the brutal honesty. Alcoholics are fantastic at deceiving both themselves and others - because they feel ashamed. Alcoholism is a disease for lonely perfectionists with a lot of pride. The friends outside the group IRL that are coming back into my life it seems in droves notice something different. I am learning not to be so hard on myself - applying my drive to not pick up a drink and doing something more productive is benefiting me beyond the obvious elimination of a toxin my body and mind do not need.

My experience might not be representative of really many other AA groups - I live in a very, very progressive and not very religious place. At the first meeting, we all held hands and said the Lord's Prayer at the end. I was raised strict Roman Catholic so that wasn't too much of a problem for me - also, the friend that accompanied me is a (not evangelical) Christian. It felt more like an acknowledgment of the divine within the group - a collection of flawed humans with perhaps more colorful life stories than others.

For however long I need it, I will use its tools and be a PARTICIPANT. The meeting organizer looked like he was about to facepalm half the time. I was riveted. I love my volunteer work on BL too much to be anything but an observer in AA... part of recovery is not taking on more than you can handle. It is a complete transformation for me. I was (with rare exceptions) an extremely lucky drinker in that I wasn't raped/mugged/imprisoned/DUI - I have a few amends to make when that time comes but more that would hurt them or me spiritually.

I disagree with so much of what AA does with respect to religious stuff/abstinence from prescription or non-problematic recreational use, and that is really hard for me to get past. I was also uncomfortable when I observed that so many people there were acutely drunk. I guess the "official" rule is that it is not 100% discouraged to go to AA drunk but you are asked not to speak during open forum.

I am taking what I can use and leaving the rest.

Lysis - I grew up in the same place as you. I live in California now. Will be in touch about the unrelated stuff ASAP. <3

ocean - thank you as always for your support, hug your hubby from me <3

Enki - the content of the atheists/agnostics meeting would have resonated with you a lot. One guy in particular was bitching about his hypocritical ex and sponsor who both "dumped" him in the same week. I have never seen a rant like that outside of a comedy club. Priceless. :)

I will continue to update this thread on my progress. I do not intend to drink anytime soon. I do at some indeterminate point if I can handle it, so let's avoid the use of "relapse" or anything like that. This is why it is important to make the progress beyond abstinence - to sustain you if you remain unable to drink.

:)

it squirts if you jerk it.

sorry, i had to. "it works if you work it"...I'm glad you made this post.

I go to AA at least three times a week. I've made lotsa really good friends...sometimes it feels like a class because I learn so much at the ones I attend. You can never go to too many meetings. I have a sponsor (he's also a badass friend) but im not really working the program right now because I'm confused, switching crazy med cocktail around and I "don't think I need it." heh. However, it really does work though. the program..well.. it is simplicity for a complicated matter..if you don't pick up the first drink, well, you won't get drunk. if you practice one day at a time and don't drink, well, if you don't drink one day at a time for the rest of your life then... hell yeah! you see? its important to not concentrate on the future though. you'll get overwhelmed. take things in one minute at a time if you have to. i hope this is insightful in some way. easy does it, you know.

lastly..."take what you want and leave the rest"... reminds of that song "The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down."... check it out for the helluvit. oneLove

Last edited:
historical perspective: 12 steps are not bill w derived
They are a re-working of the six steps of the oxford group.
The modern descendant of the Oxford group is the moral re-armament movement.

4th step is largely in the terminology of the 1930's. It may be a workable means for some to this day. I have been told that prior to a big book being formulated that Emmet Fox's works were passed around to newly sober people. Emmet Fox varied in tone and practicality from the very morality based Oxford approach to things.

I'm biased in this regard. Emmet Fox's The Golden Key has been better recovery material for me than the literature of AA proper which I find to be extremely moralistic.

I am not holding any approach out as universally appropriate. In fact I think a single approach as a universal has harmed many people seeking recovery.

Any approach that anyone is finding useful has my endorsement, provided it isn't being promoted as the one true way.

^^ spot on. hm i can see you're well-educated...perhaps i should eat my peanut butter & jealousy.

ok nah lets see. bill w and dr bob pretty much made it popular. i mean they worked hard but they didnt invent shit. they helped a lot of people. they deserve credit, but some of AAers look at him as a golden god, an invisible/imaginary friend, even like waving at him and shit.. and..? lol? whatever works i guess.

Well, I went back tonight after a set of unpleasant relapses and one pleasant experience having beers on a hot day. I felt very uncomfortable and weird. The meeting I attended tonight is not my usual meeting and now I know why - it attracts a crowd of people who have grown addicted to whining about their pasts in an effort to assuage the guilt over the shit they pulled when they were drinking.

I should note that drinking is the only addictive behavior I have ever shown over any sustained period of time with the possible exception of relationships, but I don't want to bitch about my codependency and abandonment issues right now. I did that at the meeting and left it behind. I was honest about the relapse.

Several people had said that they wished I was not so new and mysterious because they were worried about me. Had I called any of them, I probably wouldn't have drank except the one time socially (which counts as a relapse per the AA Way but it was truly for fun and enjoyment, and I did not get drunk).

I felt very shut down emotionally during the meeting for unrelated reasons. I am getting bored of the repetitive readings of the 12 Steps and Promises. I think I have a handle on what the path entails at this point. I believe I will do as others do and socialize outside or in the kitchen during that time. That's where the cool kids (of all ages) hang. ;)

Our speaker tonight broke my heart. He has ~100 days of sobriety after a high-sensation seeking life with alcohol that took more from him than I have seen taken from any other speaker.

One of the people that spoke briefly after had been sober 27 years, yet had been in a mental hospital 36 times. I know he was not exaggerating.

I didn't feel uplifted but I am proud of two things: that I made it there, and that I was honest. I met a few more longtimers who have relapsed and re-connected with the two people I'm closest in age/interests with (both new to sobriety after multiple relapses - both also sex addicts lol, which I am not).

I'll do my best to continue. I think I started the Fourth Step prematurely and need time to adjust to abstinence/deal with present issues rather than read a list of shitty things I did. Self-esteem needs to be present or I will *not* stay sober. So off to do something nice for myself and send someone some good news. :)

I also will only be attending the two meetings at which I have been most comfortable. These are, with some exceptions, the AA addicts. I like the beginners meeting best, I think. That's tomorrow and I'll be sober and attending. :)

Great posts Mariposa, I especially like this...

Mariposa said:
My Higher Power is myself. It is not a coffee cup, it is not a patriarchal deity. One of my former criticisms of AA and 12-stepping in general is that it "disempowers" the alcoholic/addict into failing to take ownership of their addiction. I do not feel that way. I feel that the higher, more virtuous, loving, growth-oriented, brave and wise part of me is watching over the baser part of me that rendered me powerless over a powerful toxin that was ruining my life.

I want to go to an AA meeting. I already go to a special group just for methamphetamine users, but alcohol is a problem I've been neglecting. The only thing that's holding me back is that, I'm too scared to go by myself.

This usually isn't a problem for me, but I really have a fear of going in there, I don't know what to do, what happens etc. Do you think I should just suck it up at do it...?

Really good work anyway Mariposa and I'm sure you wont let these relapses hold you back... <3

It's been a month since I updated this. How time flies.

I have discontinued going to AA. I went of my own accord and left of my own accord.

I had several reasons for doing this, but the main one is that I found the fellowship to be potentially invasive. At the last meeting I attended in early May, one of the speakers who attends daily meetings indicated that he'd been contacted by AA members (who did not know his last name) after he went on a last-minute trip for a funeral. He did not relapse during that time, but the group freaked out that he suddenly disappeared and managed to get his phone number out of someone that knew him.

I would blow a gasket if something like that were to happen to me. I saw the signs - several of the members I met at my first meeting would question me for attending only two meetings a week.

The meetings started to affect me emotionally. I came home in tears from the last one, and that isn't characteristic of me at all. The meetings all felt like these people were completely obsessed with not drinking to the point their lives actually ARE unmanageable without AA. Yes, the result for many people is sustained abstinence, but at what cost? They have simply substituted AA for alcohol. That is fine for some people. It isn't going to work for me.

I have returned to mostly controlled drinking. I had some wine the other night and that didn't work out well, so I'm having a period of abstinence - I am also adjusting to a new medication. Beer, cider, and wine coolers worked out just fine. I don't miss alcohol that much right now.

I'll be sending this thread to the Archive in a week or so. Any feedback or thoughts, or questions I can answer, are welcome. I suppose I'm relieved that I can see a day where I can enjoy a glass of wine or some cider once in awhile.

^
I've been doing well with the beer/cider thing lately...thanks for the suggestion. Actually the store was out of cider so I didn't buy any alcoholic drink...unbelievable!

I'm still not sure about AA and have been following your experience thanks for posting. I do agree that it seems as though AA is a substitute for some, but this is from my childhood expereince of my father and my current sister-in-law, not my own.

I'm still not sure I want someone else's help at this point. I say want and not need becasue I'm sure the support of others would help me but I'm too prideful to go there (yet?). BL has become my AA/NA at this point and even though I'm not the most vocal person around here it's helping me.

Maybe that is my other "person" and maybe it is yours too?

Good job though Mariposa!

I also very much like the idea of "ME" as the higher power, it's my choice and I'm only disappointing myself!

More water less booze/drugs.

There is a reason why AA asks you to give up your self reliance and turn it over to a higher power. If you were able to conquer your drinking problem on your own, you would have. The reason for going to AA is that you can't do it without help.

They offer a very structured, disciplined program with lots of support that WILL work for you if you follow the suggestions. The higher power can be god, spirituality, the group, or anything as long as it's NOT the same thing, YOU, that was not working for you before. You can't expect to continue walking the same path and arriving at a different destination.

Once you've been sober for a good long time and you've regained the ability to think rationally, then you can become more self reliant. A good sponsor will tell you when you should be more reliant on AA and when it's ok to be less reliant.

AA was started by some very low bottom drunks to help other low bottom drunks. That's why it may seem like an extreme program. It is. It's for people who have lost control of their drinking and need to make some radical life changes that include completely abstaining from alcohol for the rest of their lives.

Those with less severe drinking problems can benefit from the program if they follow it. Sometimes just hearing the stories of how bad alcohol problems can be is enough to keep somebody from becoming an alcoholic themselves. But if you plan on continuing drinking then AA is not for you. It's for people who want to STOP drinking, not for people who want to learn controlled drinking. AA will not teach you that.

BTW Mariposa... I still think you did the right thing by exploring the program. And I wish you luck on your efforts to control your drinking. If you ever find that you need to quit altogether, at least you know where you can go for help.

The higher power can be god, spirituality, the group, or anything as long as it's NOT the same thing, YOU, that was not working for you before. You can't expect to continue walking the same path and arriving at a different destination.

absolutely.

Find a set of meetings you like and go with it. For myself, I found a group of really cool people I clicked with, and we went to meetings and shitty diners all over my state.