A very dark topic...Read at your own risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
to skye---the noah's ark thing IS bullshit (as told in the bible). not one person can support it. that "boat" was found, not where hte bible says the ark landed, but several miles away on a peak that the qu'ran states was the place that it landed. no evidence has ever been found for a worldwide flood. the qu'ran mentions the ark story, but claims it was a localized flood, which supports history. teh bible claims it was the entire world that was covered with water and that every living thing that breathed air was killed. this cannot be interpreted to mena the whole world as in noah's world (ie the KNOWN world at that time). if that is the case then the bible is useless, because the world that was known to Noah included africa, asia, etc and plus to the people eharing it, they woud have assumed it meant the WHOLE ENTIRE world. to claim it meant otherwise just supports the idea that it was written by men who THOUGHT, incorrectly, that there was no land other than what they knew about. this is supported by the idea htat the pope claimed that native americans were not humans because if they were, then why werent they talked about in the bible? to claim that the bible is referring to a localized flood is absurd and an abuse of scripture... if you would like to discuss this further email me as i probably wont be in here again for a while...

Well damn, I had whole point by point response typed out and managed to erase it...
frown.gif

I'll just put up two points that I really wanted to get across to you.
"I'm not sure you even understand the scripture, I think it confuses you and not understanding is fear and a natural reaction would be to reject it, so it's just easier to call it crap? Did I get it right? I'm sure I did. "
1)I've thrown up a few very serious issues I have with scripture, have you tried to refute them? No. Instead you've decided to make assumptions about my character. I'm not scared of the "Truth", I'm not unhappy and cold, I have legitimate complaints about the Bible.
"I also noticed you stated that noah's ark was unrealistic--where have you been? don't you know they have found an ark the same sizeand have determined it the age noah's ark would be"
2)I could take up and entire page of this thread with all the scientific impossibilities about Noah's ark, and if you'd like I'll post them. Secondly NO ARK WAS FOUND it was a hoax, the guy who made the 'discovery' admitted to the hoax.
Reference: http://www.skeptic.com/02.3.lippard-ark-hoax.html
If you'd like a logical discussion on fallacies in scripture how about we start here:
Jesus states in John 13:38 "The cock shall not crow, till thou [peter] hast denied me three times" When Mark 14:66-68 shows it happened after the FIRST denial. Conclusion: Jesus is a false prophet who should have been put to death as per Deuteronomy 18:20-22.
If you'd rather not discuss the book, thats fine too, But please no more page long emotional rants.

im not going to argue the fact that God is real or isnt......thats ignorants at its best.......trying to change someones view is almmost impossible..........people in general are to stuburn.........unless you SHOW them Physical UNQUESTIONABLE PROOF theyer not going to change their minds i know this because i use to tryand do this........i use to try and make people beleave in God......more often than ever they never even wanted to hear your point of view......they just wanted to piss you off and hear you speak thats it..........now i respect what other people beliefs.........if some one has a question on God i will try to answer it to my best knowledge.....
but in responce to the third world county being lazy............fuck that.........ive been to third world countries.......thoes people DO GET OF THEIR ASS AND WORK, THEY WORK TWICE AS HARD IN A DAY THAN YOU WILL IN YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THEY HAVE TO CAUSE THEIR GOVT. WONT BABBY THEM LIKE YOURS AND MINE DOES.....THEIR GOVT.COULDNT AND WOULDNT GIVE 2 SHITS ABOUT THEM.ive seen this first hand with my own eyes...... so what im trying to say is GET OFF YOUR ASS WORK ALITTLE SAVE SOME FUCKIN MONEY AND GO SEE FOR YOUR SELF HOW HARD THESE PEOPLE DO WORK.THEN AND ONLY THEN WILL YOU KNOW!!!!!!! Working doenst neccesiarly mean making money....WORKING IN THOSE COUNTRY MEANS HAVING SOMETHING TO EAT, IT MEANS SURVIVAL FOR LIFE SURVIVING TO LIVE, AND IF THEIR ONLY HOPE FOR A BETTER LIFE, IF NOT NOW IN THE AFTER LIFE, IS A GOD THAT MAY OR MAY NOT EXSIST THEN SO BE IT!!!!!!!! WHATS ITS TO YOU?

Skye, if you truly understood your religion, I seriously doubt you'd be Christian.

"The orthodox God, when clothed in human flesh, told his disciples not to resist evil, to love their enemies, and when smitten on one cheek to turn the other, and yet we are told that this same God, with the same loving lips, uttered these heartless, these fiendish words; "Depart ye cursed into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels."

These are the words of "eternal love."

No human being has imagination enough to conceive of this infinite horror.

All that the human race has suffered in war and want, in pestilence and famine, in fire and flood, -- all the pangs and pains of every disease and every death -- all this is as nothing compared with the agonies to be endured by one lost soul.
This is the consolation of the Christian religion. This is the justice of God -- the mercy of Christ.

This frightful dogma, this infinite lie, made me the implacable enemy of Christianity. The truth is that this belief in eternal pain has been the real persecutor. It founded the Inquisition, forged the chains, and furnished the fagots. It has darkened the lives of many millions. It made the cradle as terrible as the coffin. It enslaved nations and shed the blood of countless thousands. It sacrificed the wisest, the bravest and the best. It subverted the idea of justice, drove mercy from the heart, changed men to fiends and banished reason from the brain.

Like a venomous serpent it crawls and coils and hisses in every orthodox creed.

It makes man an eternal victim and God an eternal fiend. It is the one infinite horror. Every church in which it is taught is a public curse. Every preacher who teaches it is an enemy of mankind. Below this Christian dogma, savagery cannot go. It is the infinite of malice, hatred, and revenge.

Nothing could add to the horror of hell, except the presence of its creator, God.

While I have life, as long as I draw breath, I shall deny with all my strength, and hate with every drop of my blood, this infinite lie.
Nothing gives me greater joy than to know that this belief in eternal pain is growing weaker every day -- that thousands of ministers are ashamed of it. It gives me joy to know that Christians are becoming merciful, so merciful that the fires of hell are burning low -- flickering, choked with ashes, destined in a few years to die out forever.

For centuries Christendom was a madhouse. Popes, cardinals, bishops, priests, monks and heretics were all insane.
Only a few -- four or five in a century were sound in heart and brain. Only a few, in spite of the roar and din, in spite of the savage cries, heard reason's voice. Only a few in the wild rage of ignorance, fear and zeal preserved the perfect calm that wisdom gives.

We have advanced. In a few years the Christians will become -- let us hope -- humane and sensible enough to deny the dogma that fills the endless years with pain. They ought to know now that this dogma is utterly inconsistent with the wisdom, the justice, the goodness of their God. They ought to know that their belief in hell, gives to the Holy Ghost -- the Dove -- the beak of a vulture, and fills the mouth of the Lamb of God with the fangs of a viper."

-- From Ingersoll's "Why I Am An Agnostic" http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/robert_ingersoll/why_i_am_agnostic.html
---------------
"There is no subject -- and can be none -- concerning which any human being is under any obligation to believe without evidence... The man who, without prejudice, reads and understands the Old and New Testaments will cease to be an orthodox Christian. The intelligent man who investigates the religion of any country without fear and without prejudice will not and cannot be a believer.... He who cannot harmonize the cruelties of the Bible with the goodness of Jehovah, cannot harmonize the cruelties of Nature with the goodness and wisdom of a supposed Deity. He will find it impossible to account for pestilence and famine, for earthquake and storm, for slavery, for the triumph of the strong over the weak, for the countless victories of injustice. He will find it impossible to account for martyrs -- for the burning of the good, the noble, the loving, by the ignorant, the malicious, and the infamous."
- Robert G. Ingersoll

"The Bible is a great source of inspiration, for those who do not understand it." - George Santayana
[This message has been edited by Stasis (edited 06 October 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
SolarFlare6, the four gospels were written by four authors at different times. Neither of them is identical to the others; inconsistencies are a result of differing interpretations, and likely different sources as well, perhaps all of which have been either lost, or which were not fully reliable in the first place. Not that I'm a Christian; I'm just pointing out something to be considered.

SolarFlare6, the four gospels were written by four authors at different times. Neither of them is identical to the others; inconsistencies are a result of differing interpretations, and likely different sources as well, perhaps all of which have been either lost, or which were not fully reliable in the first place. Not that I'm a Christian; I'm just pointing out something to be considered.

Belisarius, That was my point exactaly the Gospels contradict one another. It might not be a problem for you or I but It is a problem for those who believe the gospels are telling the truth.
The NT authors couldn't even get the facts surrounding the resurrection correct, and that is the most important part of the Book.

This thread has gotten very long so I'm going to close it....
I'm also moving this topic to the new Sprituality forum....
------------------
If it's orange and fuzzy, it's FoXy....
"So,how's that working out for you....being clever?"-Tyler Durden, Fight Club
AIM: OrangeFuzzy1

Status
Not open for further replies.