• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

A thread to express your love of (or hate of); Potplants

Love or hate of pot plants...

I'm actually quite indifferent to pot plants. We might need another thread...

That's a nice williamsii there, Klue. :) We have about 9 of those, we've had them for about 5 years. They have lovely flowers:

IMG_0098.jpg

We've been fortnuate in that they've also thrown seeds, which we've planted. No pups as yet, but that doesn't happen for years with williamsii

The most impressive flower has been from the trichocereus scopulicolus (related to peruvianis & pachanoi). In fact, all those (and the trichocereus brigdesii) have very similar flowers:

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

It reminds me of the plant in "Little Shop of Horrors". :)

All of cacti in the trichocereus have grown really fast, thrown pups which we've calloused and repotted over the years, so the collection is growing fast. I love growing cacti and can't wait till we can make a proper cacti & succulent garden. :D

one thing i adore about living in tropical australia is the amazing variety of flora and fauna that we couldn't otherwise experience in victoria. not long after we had moved here; we were at a friends bbq and i fell in love with her HUGE frangipani tree. she was more than happy to encourage the children to play in the tree until a branch snapped (no children were harmed) and offered it to me. i let it sit in the kitchen sink with cold water overnight before planting it outdoors. its now flourished and offers us gorgeous flowers once a year. they're very resilient plants and look stunning when in bloom.

frangipani2.jpg

...kytnism...:|

Klue and Samadhi

Did either of you get those Williamsii's to grow from seeds or where they grafts?

I have tried several times now to get them happening and I am going to give it one last roll of the dice this month. Ive set up a terrarium with controlled heat, UV lighting and humidity so I am fractionally serious

I can never keep pot plants alive, I don't have the patience :( They just die on me...maybe I should take up Bonsai or something. Or get a goldfish instead...

^ if you cant keep a pot plant alive then you should definately not try bonsai

...and goldfish, refer above

I had a bonsai tree that a friend gave me when I was really, really depressed. One of the things that brought me a little happiness was taking care of that plant. I definitely don't have a green thumb, and I'm pretty fucking lazy but I did everything I was instructed. I immersed its pot in water every day and misted its leaves.

And it died. This did not make me happy.

Part II of "Things That Have Killed Themselves to Spite Me"

^Bonsai are touchy at the best of times. Did it have lots of sun? Depending on what species it was some are really hard to grow even for experts.

:D

Last edited:
vanth said:
I had a bonsai tree that a friend gave me when I was really, really depressed. One of the things that brought me a little happiness was taking care of that plant. I definitely don't have a green thumb, and I'm pretty fucking lazy but I did everything I was instructed. I immersed its pot in water every day and misted its leaves.

And it died. This did not make me happy.

Part II of "Things That Have Killed Themselves to Spite Me"

Klue speaks truth again. I have been doing bonsai since my mid teens and was shown by my mother who has been doing it since the mid 70's. Very tempremental indeed and we have both even lost plants that where 20-30 years old after a root prune and repot due to various reasons.

But if you want to try another tree I suggest that you do not immerse the pot in water daily, misting the leaves daily is fine, however by immersing it daily you killed it due to root rot. That particular method (water bathing) should only ever be carried out if a plant has shown sign of distress due to over heating or saline conditions OR only once a year preferrably at the start of summer. Also, another misconception about bonsai - they belong outside, they are not meant for an ornemnet with the rest asian themed furniture from ikea.

so there you are Vanth, another innoncent living thing that didnt die just to spite you

Hey Klue - nice set up that looks awesome. I particularly love the Crassula's like the one down on the ground right hand side, is that an Argentea?

I have had a young Crassula argentea training as a bonsai for the last 18 months and its coming along great, but a friend has a 20 year old one that won a succulent category at a bonsai show earlier this year. Its huge, like size of a family dinner table huge and takes minimum 3 people to lift

Im surprised that you dont have any Crassula Ovata, if i remember I will take a photo of mine over the weekend and post it

EDIT - I also love your canine friend there, looks like a real gentle golden oldie!

Last edited by a moderator:
hey! There is an ovata in that photo! Two actually! I have heaps and heaps of them now. Miniature, pointed leaf, huge leaf... some in flower. Ovata is pretty much my favorite jade.

That champion Bonsai sounds awesome! I saw a Crassula argenta bonsai that won the champion plant specimen at the local Orchid society show I went to on the weekend. It was shitty. Mine are a zillion times nicer.

That photo is just a small selection of what I had at one stage. Working in a garden centre... pretty much every day I had something new to bring home.

Oh and that is Gin the Red cattle dog biach. She is dumb and deaf. She was always a guts but she just forgets that she has been fed now, she lives for food.

Last edited:
Fun Guy

eggman88888 said:
Hey Klue - nice set up that looks awesome.

Werd.
Succulents Rule, O.K.

Wanderin' around
the
Sydney Botanical Garden's
Succulent Palace
on Mushrooms is both extemely rewardin',
an' quite dangerous.

YOU JUST WANNA TOUCH 'EM!

But,
as they,
IMO,
are the
most beautiful plants on Earth,
a few pricks arn't gonna get in tha way.

They look sooooo freakin' alien,
like they'd been shot from some pod
from anutha planet,
an' landed here,
ready to occasionally stab people,
an' provide precious mescal & <-ine.

Props too,
to the Herbarium.

I've taken fold-out lye-down chairs there,
an' got chronically 'erbed,
an' felt amongst friends...

An' after you've soaked that feelin' up,
(hopefully not eating anythink growin' around...
...that's poisonous UnSquare, don' EAT THAT!)

you can head to the Tropical Plant Pyramid, an'
wander the maze...

This,
of course,
can be done without mushrooms & bless'ed 'erb...
...but it DOES add some elements.

Anyway bless you Succulent Lovers!

PEACE
UnSquare
:)

Yeah UnS, I love the gardens too man.

I like how in the Jamie Durie designed part of the Cacti area, they are planted in providence. Like the Madigascar section and the South African section... Awesome!

I actually nicked some cuttings of an unusual Jade from in there... (But shhh, dont tell anybody)

You will always find something new walking around a Botanical gardens. Mt Cootha in BrisVegas is pretty nice also.

Mum brought me down this guy today. I've had it about 4 years. :)
lameriyw3.jpg

(Crappy photo I apolagise) :)

I scored him at a Cactus and succulent wholesaler when I was doing some buying for the garden centre. He was tiny to start with, in a 125mm pot. He's only in an 200mm pot now but has grown nearly a full metre.
If you wanted to buy one it would be about $200 at a good price. :)

Oh, its a Pachypodium lamerei.

Wiki

They are really tough and hardy. Quite and interesting genus, from Madagasgar. :)

eggman88888 said:
so there you are Vanth, another innoncent living thing that didnt die just to spite you

Oh cool. I never saw these posts last time. I feel a little better now. I did put it outside in the sun often though. I just did what the lady told me to. I guess she was just trying to make money, my friend bought it from a stall in Chadstone (I was there at the time).

I think if I get another plant it will be a cacti.

My Sister bought me a bonsai native lilly pilly for my birthday. Unfortunately the person who grew it didn't put the species name on it but I assume it was Acmena smithii.

Anyways I went on holidays for 3 weeks and forgot to get someone to water it. It was pretty much fucked when I got back. But I watered it and got some lighter fluid and threatened that if it didn't bounce back I was going to burn what was left of it to a fucking cinder. I demonstrated by burning some twigs with the lighter fluid next to it.

It got some regrowth cranking right along one limb so I cut off all the others and it looked shit but it was doing alright. Then I just randomly forgot about it and didn't water it for like 2 weeks and it had had it. So I burnt it.

The tag when I got it said 2003, so I kind of feel guilty that the person had been growing, trimming, and sculpting it for 4 years and I killed it in a matter of months.

This is why I don't like gardening.

Last edited:
Klue or possibly eggman, can you please recommend me a bunch of cacti and put pretty pictures up to motivate me and tell me how much they are? Don't post any link to where I can get them though, no sourcing ;)