• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos A SERIOUS Etizolam(Etilaam) warning (Blepharospasms, possibly permanent)

This happened to me once after taking etizolam for a few weeks. I stopped taking it and the twitching went away within 5 days.

Since when is eye twitching a "REALLY serious" problem. If one is taking that much etizolam regularly, then they probably have much more serious side-effects down the road to worry about than eye twitching. Like those similar to regular benzo use ie seizures, permanent cognitive disfunction and even death

the dude said he couldn't mow the lawn because they were that bad, it's clearly fairly serious if it affects day-to-day functioning!

Blepharospasms

8)For the people that are saying that "Blepharospasms are only a minor side effect" and basically telling people to "stop complaining".

In the grand scheme of things, yes, blepharospasms may seem minor, but ask yourself, if you were told by your doctor or your vendor:-

"I can prescribe/sell you Etizolam, but the side effect of regular use is twitching of the eyelids/face muscles, and in severe cases it will cause functional blindness. The duration of these side effects is not thoroughly documented and seems to range from a few days to a lifetime. If symptoms do persist, you'll then need to get botox injections to counteract them. Botox has the side effect of drooping eyelids etc..."

Would everybody still consider it a minor side effect and go ahead taking Etizolam regularly anyway? For the person that's just suffering a passing period of insomnia, is it worth it for them to risk a potentially life long inconvenience and source of irritation and frustration, and courses of botox injections? Course it isn't .

My experience is far from severe, but, it happened pretty rapidly. I took Etizolam regularly (roughly 4 nights a week and took between 1 and 4mg a night) for about a month for insomnia, after moving from a quiet town to a city. My upper right eyelid began to start twitching. I'd had this before and it lasted for a few days so I didn't really think anything of it, they weren't a hinderance to my life or anything or reduce the functionality of my eye. It was just annoying and visible, but infrequent. I carried on using Etizolam, and then the sides of my nose started to spasm lightly, and my eyelid was still twitching - about every 20 mins / half an hour or so (usually most frequent in the afternoon), and for a few seconds at a time, but it was different to my previous experience of eyelid twitches. So I read into the side effects of Etizolam and sure enough, "Blepharospasms". I stopped immediately. My nose stopped spasming after a few days, my upper right eyelid stopped after about a week, and then the spasm seemed to move to the lower eyelid (and became far less severe and frequent). It's been 11 days since stopping and today I've had only two extremely minor twitches in my left lower eyelid (opposite to the eye it started on), I doubt they would've been visible and I hardly felt them, but I'm very aware of my face now ha ha.

I feel really lucky that they've subsided, I feared for the worse, and I still pray they're gone for good. I'll never take Etizolam like that again. Maybe, MAYBE as a tool to come down off other drugs (I still have about 20 Etiz left), but I know I shouldn't.

I hope that people can take this as a warning, but also as a source of hope. Blepharospasms CAN and DO subside after stopping Etizolam, and seem to subside in MOST cases following cessation, but don't be that minority who suffers blepharospasms long-term if it can be avoided. Use it responsibly if you have to use it at all, and avoid regular use like the fucking plague! If your insomnia is intermittent like mine, it's probably worth just putting up with some bad night's sleeps/sleepless nights, practising good "sleep hygeine" etc. Etizolam is an easy solution, but there's no such thing as a free lunch!

Peace

8)For the people that are saying that "Blepharospasms are only a minor side effect" and basically telling people to "stop complaining".

In the grand scheme of things, yes, blepharospasms may seem minor, but ask yourself, if you were told by your doctor or your vendor:-

"I can prescribe/sell you Etizolam, but the side effect of regular use is twitching of the eyelids/face muscles, and in severe cases it will cause functional blindness. The duration of these side effects is not thoroughly documented and seems to range from a few days to a lifetime. If symptoms do persist, you'll then need to get botox injections to counteract them. Botox has the side effect of drooping eyelids etc..."

Would everybody still consider it a minor side effect and go ahead taking Etizolam regularly anyway? For the person that's just suffering a passing period of insomnia, is it worth it for them to risk a potentially life long inconvenience and source of irritation and frustration, and courses of botox injections? Course it isn't .

My experience is far from severe, but, it happened pretty rapidly. I took Etizolam regularly (roughly 4 nights a week and took between 1 and 4mg a night) for about a month for insomnia, after moving from a quiet town to a city. My upper right eyelid began to start twitching. I'd had this before and it lasted for a few days so I didn't really think anything of it, they weren't a hinderance to my life or anything or reduce the functionality of my eye. It was just annoying and visible, but infrequent. I carried on using Etizolam, and then the sides of my nose started to spasm lightly, and my eyelid was still twitching - about every 20 mins / half an hour or so (usually most frequent in the afternoon), and for a few seconds at a time, but it was different to my previous experience of eyelid twitches. So I read into the side effects of Etizolam and sure enough, "Blepharospasms". I stopped immediately. My nose stopped spasming after a few days, my upper right eyelid stopped after about a week, and then the spasm seemed to move to the lower eyelid (and became far less severe and frequent). It's been 11 days since stopping and today I've had only two extremely minor twitches in my left lower eyelid (opposite to the eye it started on), I doubt they would've been visible and I hardly felt them, but I'm very aware of my face now ha ha.

I feel really lucky that they've subsided, I feared for the worse, and I still pray they're gone for good. I'll never take Etizolam like that again. Maybe, MAYBE as a tool to come down off other drugs (I still have about 20 Etiz left), but I know I shouldn't.

I hope that people can take this as a warning, but also as a source of hope. Blepharospasms CAN and DO subside after stopping Etizolam, and seem to subside in MOST cases following cessation, but don't be that minority who suffers blepharospasms long-term if it can be avoided. Use it responsibly if you have to use it at all, and avoid regular use like the fucking plague! If your insomnia is intermittent like mine, it's probably worth just putting up with some bad night's sleeps/sleepless nights, practising good "sleep hygeine" etc. Etizolam is an easy solution, but there's no such thing as a free lunch!

Peace

I'm sorry for your troubles but people have gotten permanent brain damage and even died from benzo abuse and/or withdrawal, so considering your symptoms, you should think yourself very lucky. And not to rub it in or be snarky, but if you had actually researched Etiz (both good & bad) before jumping right in, you probably would've known about the list of possible side-effects that are much, much worse than blepharospams or even that there are many natural herbal sleep aids (both info available with a simple Google search). But we all have to learn somehow though and some people learn lessons best from personal experience. So best of luck to you with your recovery

I'm the OP I'm glad to see this thread back around

It was NOT blepharospams. It was "benign fasciculation disorder" which has nothing to do with drugs. I had an EGG EKG and MRI. All normal.

Wish I could say it was the drugs but it was not. Again I am the OP

I don't use etizolam anymore but my doc Rx'd 1mg klonopin take as needed. I don't abuse them anymore, in fact i'm still on a 40mg bottle from december so we're good.

I'm sorry for your troubles but people have gotten permanent brain damage and even died from benzo abuse and/or withdrawal, so considering your symptoms, you should think yourself very lucky. And not to rub it in or be snarky, but if you had actually researched Etiz (both good & bad) before jumping right in, you probably would've known about the list of possible side-effects that are much, much worse than blepharospams or even that there are many natural herbal sleep aids (both info available with a simple Google search). But we all have to learn somehow though and some people learn lessons best from personal experience. So best of luck to you with your recovery

Thank you. I do consider myself lucky, and I appreciate that it is certainly relatively minor, but I wanted to impress that it's also real and not, in my opinion, negligible either. I know, I know, I did read about Etizolam before taking it but clearly not thoroughly enough. Lesson firmly learned!

I'm the OP I'm glad to see this thread back around

It was NOT blepharospams. It was "benign fasciculation disorder" which has nothing to do with drugs. I had an EGG EKG and MRI. All normal.

Wish I could say it was the drugs but it was not. Again I am the OP

I don't use etizolam anymore but my doc Rx'd 1mg klonopin take as needed. I don't abuse them anymore, in fact i'm still on a 40mg bottle from december so we're good.

Ah OK, can you be sure it has nothing to do with drugs? After a quick bit of research I found that the disorder can be caused by taking medications and being removed from medications. Was a different cause deduced or just no known cause or?

All the best in your recovery, is the klonopin effective? Do you still need the botox?

My girlfriend experiences eye twitches from too much coffee, she stopped drinking more than one cup a day and they stopped, she is a non-drug user, apart from caffeine, just saying caffeine definently causes blephorospasms too.

My girlfriend experiences eye twitches from too much coffee, she stopped drinking more than one cup a day and they stopped, she is a non-drug user, apart from caffeine, just saying caffeine definently causes blephorospasms too.

Thanks for the info. I actually drink coffee regularly, 2 to 5 cups of black coffee a day with two teaspoons of sugar (but I have done for years). It's perhaps possible that caffeine was an antagonist in my case, and Etizolam was the cause.

Looks like it's cleared up entirely. No blepharospasms yesterday (day 12 of stopping Etiz) and so far none today!

I've had eyelid twitches during alcohol WD when I was using benzos (oxazepam, diazepam) for detox. The twitching was transient but it took months before it started to go away.
During the same period I'd often hold my head cocked to one side involuntarily, or grimace with one side of my face. Somehow this felt "neurologically related" to the eyelid twitches.
Good times.

anyone else suffering from hair loss/hair thinning due to etizolam use?