A reminder from Time: call your parents.

jakoz

Bluelighter
Gday.

Yep... thats right. Im Time. Just borrowing this account for a minute to have a quick word. Lets just not bother with arguing about whats possible and what isnt for now and move on.

You see... Ive been watching you. All of you, actually. And by now, there's something I feel I have to say:

Call your parents.

Ill explain a little more, but if you can remember those three words, you'll remember the whole thing.

Now, where was I? Ah, yes....

It worries me how the last few generations have seemingly spent their time unlearning the value that their dearest family and friends have to them.

So Im going to be blunt. Im not being hurtful. I just need your attention.

One day soon, youre going to get a rather unpleasant call regarding the health of a parent. If not a parent yet, then substitute in your brother, sister, friend or pet. Doesnt matter which one... they'll all happen soon enough.

And then (I'm Time remember... Ive seen it plenty)...

Youll be upset because you didnt spend enough time with them. Throw in an unresolved issue or two to get in the way of the happy memories with that person for awhile.

And the reason I feel I finally have to say something...

And then youll repeat the process endlessly, with everyone you know, and many you dont yet.

Now sorry for the doom and gloom... but the point needed to be made so I can make a point...

Your parents don't live far from you. Hell, noone lives any further away these days than the phone in the next room. Your family like seeing you. You make them happy just by being there. Just your presence.

That evening you save next week by not going is an evening less youll have in the end. Go. Enjoy it. Everyone tries the least with the people closest to them, when those are the people that are worth trying hardest for.

The string of a life is only cut so long... if anyone should know, it's me.

-Time

Now I feel guilty about staying in bed and not answering the phone when Mum called yesterday.. then not calling her back when I got up... :) I'll do it on Monday I promise.. *runs and hides*

stace.

so true.

aghhhhh that is soooooooo fricken true, and people generally dont realise this until it is too late :(

You just reminded me to call my nan tonight. xoxoxo

14.gif
you rock :)

about a month ago i got a call from my dad, after not speaking to him for about 3 months (not for any reason, we like each other and shit, its just how it turns out) saying that he'd had a heart attack as a side effect of some meds he was on.

he might have died.

i think ill call him tonight.

thanks Jake

Like most of the things I write norw and then like this, I wrote it as advice to myself... my folks only live 5 minutes away, but I only see them every month or two. It was written in one 5 minute burst, with no changes or forethought, and posted immediately.

And I guess an emotional viewpoint is best expressed that way... as a burst without stopping to think it over too much. Whether or not thats true... this one hit the mark for me... time to go see my folks this weekend I think.

I always call my Dad when I get up, at lunchtime, in the afternoon and before I go to bed. I'll be doing this for as long as I possibly can, and probably even after that I'll be leaving him voicemails to tell him I miss him.

I would call mum, but she's in the Middle East for the next 10 days and it costs an absolute fortune, so I'll wait for her to call me.

Parents rule.

You only start appreciating your parents when you don't live with them because if you do, you will only get on each other's nerves constantly (especially if the children are over 18).

my dad gets a call every few weeks...it upsets me to call him to often. all though he has my best interests at heart he cant understand me and i fear never will...usualy my calls to him end up in tears and upsetting me.

but i do call him just to let him know i am still here. i got on better with my dad and his wife once i left the house.

my mum...i dont know where she is...i know she is getting married this christmas to a guy i have never met. every letter i send gets sent back...no one will tell me where she lives coz they dont know either...and last time i called i found out the guy she is marrying has the same name as my dad...same first name and second name... 8) i still write her letters on the hope that she will open them and at least read them...but with every one that is returned my heart sinks a lil more each time.

i am tryin to make it to N.Z at the end of the year to try to go to the apparent wedding and findout where she is but some things arent as simple as they appear to be. :(

nice topic jake... :)

I would just like to give you, Starfalls, one massive squishy hug.

*SQUASH*

:)

question for stars

stars - so what is really up with your mum? is she very sick or is she getting married?

didn't your mum had cancer a few months back, and you were going to NZ to be with her because she was really sick? Now she's getting married and you don't know where she is in NZ?

this is not an attack - maybe I'm slow and I missed out on the whole story. just curious that's all - since you did mention quite a few times some months back she was really sick with cancer... then now she's getting married? wow - maybe the new man had a part in her fast recovery.

(edit) nan's fine(/edit)

it's true, the older you get, the more you appreciate them, but the less you probably let them know. meh, my dad's coming around this arvo, and i think mum might be too, so that's all good. they know they're cool :)

I still live with my mummy ... and I call her more than twice a day (cos I'm a pain in the butt) ...

As for my father ... let's not go there! To be honest, I don't know how I'd feel if I got a call to say he was sick ... I'll cross that bridge when/if I come to it :|

onetwothreefour said:
it's true, the older you get, the more you appreciate them, but the less you probably let them know. meh, my dad's coming around this arvo, and i think mum might be too, so that's all good. they know they're cool :)

I found that to be semi wrong. I do appreciate my parents a lot more but I also let them know a lot more how much I care/appreciate them. Nearly everytime I have contact with them I let them know how much I care about them and that I love them dearly. We had a discussion the other day in regards to our connection and how they feel about me. They said semi recently (roughly 2ish years) they finally stopped worrying for me. I never had a full time career job until the age of 27 (I knew i had the skills, I just didn't want to be locked into a job and fully enjoyed my partying days) until I decided I needed a full time job. Anyway, they stated how they are so happy for me and think the world of me. We only get to see each other like once every 1-3 months but they realise we are all adults now and live our own lives.

They are more like friends now I realise. Mum used to call me daily wherever I was just to check up on me but these days, we call each other once every week or other week to see how things are and we talk more like peers rather than family except for the 'I love you' stuff :). All in all, everything just gets better with parents as time goes on I have found.

This is a source of constant guilt for me. I rarely ever call my mum... I love her to death but I just don't. She calls me occasionally - sometimes we'll speak twice in a month, sometimes not for three months, but it's usually her that makes the effort.

She lives about 3 hours drive away and I know it makes her sad that I don't just get in the car and go up there. I do, but usually only on obligatory occasions like Christmas, Mothers Day & Easter. For some reason I see it as dull, I'd much rather continue with the life and friends I've got here. But you know Jakoz, I would crumble up and die if I ever lost her. Just the thought of it makes tears come to my eyes instantly.

I need to get my priorities in order. :(

This topic made me so sad. My Dad only just died suddenly and completely unexpectedly less than 3 months ago. I still haven't recovered from the shock or come to believe it really is true.

I have to say that i probably loved my dad more than anyone else on earth. He was the most caring, considerate and amazing man in the world. Even though he often worked all round Australia for months at a time, he always rang at least once a week and never ever forgot to tell any of us how much he loved us and appreciated us. If we had an argument he was always the first to ring or come to see me and sort it out.

He was always optomistic and made even the worst situations seem bearable. Even though he is gone i can still hear his words and see his laughing face. He had the corniest jokes ever, yet you couldn't help but laugh everytime he said them. He had a hard life but he always put on a brave face for his family. He was kind, he was honest and he taught he what was most important in life.

He is gone but not forgotten. I often told him how much he meant to me and said thank you for the millions of things he did for me even after i married and had kids. He loved his grandson, he loved me and he only ever wished the best in life for everyone he knew.

So please dont wait till its too late to say what is important. Say "I love you" and make sure your parents know you mean it. Life is too short and before you know it the people you love are gone. Life is hard every day without him, but knowing he is in heaven watching me and loving me makes it possible to get up and get on with the day.

thanx for letting me share.

I tell my mum everytime I talk to her that I love her.

I talk to her about once a week, sometimes more.

I wish I lived in the same city as her so I wouldn't only see her at christmas and could just go and have dinner, or go shopping or whatever.

She drives me absolutely bananas and I can't bring myself to spend two weeks on holiday with her but I don't know what I'd do without her. After losing one parent so suddenly I'm only too aware how easily it can happen :(