View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

A few DMT questions

EphemeralOutlet141

Bluelight Crew
I just recently obtained 0.1gs of DMT and I have a few questions before I use it.

What is the best way to smoke it generally? Could I treat it like kief and sandwich it between some bud in a bowl?

Also, I was told a proper dosage would be half of my total amount. I ALWAYS want to make sure that my dosage is correct and I'm entirely positive about it before I use. Is my friend's information accurate?

Thanks for the replies and my apologies if someone already answered these.

What is the best way to smoke it generally? Could I treat it like kief and sandwich it between some bud in a bowl?

The more or less undisputed best way to "smoke" DMT is by vaporizing it off copper mesh, e.g. a piece of scrubbing pad. It does work very well. If you have the cash to spare, a Glass VaporGenie is perfect, but if not, I recommend building the infamous Machine.

You can sprinkle it on some herbs in a bowl, but that's less efficient, and more importantly, the smoke is harsher. If you go that route, I recommend a non-psychoactive herb (lots of folks use mullein), because I don't think you should be stoned on your first DMT flash.

Also, I was told a proper dosage would be half of my total amount. I ALWAYS want to make sure that my dosage is correct and I'm entirely positive about it before I use. Is my friend's information accurate?

No... not if you're using a really efficient method of delivery (like a VaporGenie). In that case -- trust me -- 20 mg is all you'll need for your first time. MAYBE 30 if you're a real hard-head. The reason your friend recommended 50 mg is probably because:

A) You most likely won't be able to smoke it all before you're tripping so hard that you can't comprehend the concept of smoking.

B) He is assuming you'll use a crappy method of delivery, like throwing it on a bowl of weed, which burns and wastes the DMT.

I respectfully disagree, I think that the copper scrubbie is not as good as using a freebase / oil burner style pipe. Glass bulb with a single hole on top. It does take a little technique to carefully not burn it, but it's much easier to see what's going on and less risk of loss or burning compared to using scrubbie. Oil burners are like $5 at sketchy head shops or you could make one yourself using basic glassblowing technique, a propane torch, and a glass cigar tube that you can find in most convenience stores. Open up so it's like a test tube, heat the closed end, blow through the open end CAREFULLY, use a piece of metal or a stick or something to poke a lil hole on the top of your bubble, and let cool slowly, preferably giving little blasts of heat from the torch at a distance or using a hairdryer set to hot or something so the glass doesnt crack as it cools. Bam, $1 DMT pipe that works way better than pretty much any method and doesn't leave you with the taste of metal in your mouth, which always ruined my trips when I used any method involving a scrubbie or metal screens. Also if you aren't understanding, the pipe works like you heat it from underneath, its like the opposite of a weed pipe. The dmt liquifies and vaporizes and doesn't risk getting lost anywhere because it just sits in the bubble.

If you vape it properly and hold in your hit long enough, as little as .02g can be breakthrough territory, and .01 or less doses can be super fun. This assumes you are vaping properly like with an oil burner and good technique, and holding your hit in long enough. And assuming the DMT is pure and not 50% other alkaloids and gooey crap.

Oh whoops, didnt see that TAC already mentioned that 20mg is -plenty- if done correctly.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree, I think that the copper scrubbie is not as good as using a freebase / oil burner style pipe. Glass bulb with a single hole on top. It does take a little technique to carefully not burn it, but it's much easier to see what's going on and less risk of loss or burning compared to using scrubbie. Oil burners are like $5 at sketchy head shops or you could make one yourself using basic glassblowing technique, a propane torch, and a glass cigar tube that you can find in most convenience stores. Open up so it's like a test tube, heat the closed end, blow through the open end CAREFULLY, use a piece of metal or a stick or something to poke a lil hole on the top of your bubble, and let cool slowly, preferably giving little blasts of heat from the torch at a distance or using a hairdryer set to hot or something so the glass doesnt crack as it cools. Bam, $1 DMT pipe that works way better than pretty much any method and doesn't leave you with the taste of metal in your mouth, which always ruined my trips when I used any method involving a scrubbie or metal screens. Also if you aren't understanding, the pipe works like you heat it from underneath, its like the opposite of a weed pipe. The dmt liquifies and vaporizes and doesn't risk getting lost anywhere because it just sits in the bubble. If you vape it properly and hold in your hit long enough, as little as .02g can be breakthrough territory, and .01 or less doses can be super fun. This assumes you are vaping properly like with an oil burner and good technique, and holding your hit in long enough. And assuming the DMT is pure and not 50% other alkaloids and gooey crap. Oh whoops, didnt see that TAC already mentioned that 20mg is -plenty- if done correctly.
I have tried the meth-pipe method many, many times. I even bought a fancier and larger pipe after finding no success with the first one. All for nowt. Not only did I not break through, I did not even start getting into the territory when using this method. Why? The DMT vaporizes too slowly. I get a nice vapor going and keep gently inhaling it so as not to suck the liquid DMT into my mouth...and I can keep doing that, but the vapor is entering my system at such low ratio per second that I never blast off. If I try to be a bit more aggressive and torch the bulb in order to speed up the process, I burn the DMT. I believe I have found the optimal distance of the lighter from the bowl, when anything closer and the DMT would pyrolyze. Still, even working with this optimal distance, all of my attempts have failed miserably. The sandwich method is wasteful, but it works. I load up 50mg on top of a packed bowl, cover with ash, hold flame at a distance and blast-off. Simple as that. I really can't imagine what can I be doing wrong with my meth-pipe technique. And it would appear that the meth-pipe is simply unusable for this purpose, yet it has its adherents. Very weird.

Could I vaporize it in a dry herb vape with some weed? I have one with a smaller chamber and decent temp controls.

OP. As you can see already from this thread, smoking DMT is almost an artform. Everybody has different prefered methods, and everybody needs to experiment a bit to find what works for them. Unfortunately, I don't think 100 mg is enough for that.
I've personally had great succes with a bulb vaporizer like this:

1383984819_Bulb.jpg

My DMT was pure synthetic though, and I admit that while it's an easy method, the smoke is pretty harsh and I usualy burn my tongue from the heat. I'm always using a jet lighter with that bulb btw.

The problem generally is that if you want a break through, there's really a lot of harsh smoke you need to inhale really quickly. I think the machine is considered by all who tried it as the most effecient way of smoking DMT for a break through, and I don't doubt that, but it always seemed to me one of the more tortuous methods.

If your DMT is orange or yellow flakes of crystals, you could consider sandwiching it between some layers of inactive herbs, like mullein, in a bong. It should be pretty straight forward. Take note though, that it's usually said that one shouldn't put flame directly to the DMT.

OP. As you can see already from this thread, smoking DMT is almost an artform. Everybody has different prefered methods, and everybody needs to experiment a bit to find what works for them. Unfortunately, I don't think 100 mg is enough for that.
I've personally had great succes with a bulb vaporizer like this:

1383984819_Bulb.jpg

My DMT was pure synthetic though, and I admit that while it's an easy method, the smoke is pretty harsh and I usualy burn my tongue from the heat. I'm always using a jet lighter with that bulb btw.

The problem generally is that if you want a break through, there's really a lot of harsh smoke you need to inhale really quickly. I think the machine is considered by all who tried it as the most effecient way of smoking DMT for a break through, and I don't doubt that, but it always seemed to me one of the more tortuous methods.

If your DMT is orange or yellow flakes of crystals, you could consider sandwiching it between some layers of inactive herbs, like mullein, in a bong. It should be pretty straight forward. Take note though, that it's usually said that one shouldn't put flame directly to the DMT.
^ That's basically a meth pipe...it's what I use and I have only gotten a second or third hit four or five times...generally I am OUT after the first hit, but then I'm a lightweight when it comes to vaping DMT, I'd rather shoot/eat it, but that's just me.
I tend to get amnesia when I vape that shit, and no, I'm not doing too much...when I vape I see the little vortex open up in front of me, I go through and the...? I come to. IV is a different animal altogether though, but THAT is for another thread.
Happy trails dude.

Personally I wouldn't try the lightbulb method, it never worked out well for me, it always resulted in burning the DMT, and you definitely don't want that to happen, your throat feels scorched and numb at the same time, ruins the experience completely, it's extremely harsh.

The GVG is a great method imo, but I assume you don't have that, if you have a bong just put a bed of ashes in there, DMT on top and then another thick bed of ashes and inhale while keeping the flame as far away from the ashes as possible, if white smoke fills the chamber you're good to go.

Inhale, keep it in as long as you can, and repeat for as much as you can.
The smoke is incredibly smooth, no harshness at all when you vaporize it instead of burning.

20 to 30mg should be enough, especially for your first time.

If you don't have ashes just burn some paper, it really doesn't matter what kind of ashes, the carcinogens are gone after combustion, it's just to prevent your DMT from burning.

Personally I wouldn't try the lightbulb method, it never worked out well for me, it always resulted in burning the DMT, and you definitely don't want that to happen, your throat feels scorched and numb at the same time, ruins the experience completely, it's extremely harsh.

Agreed.

I dunno, I have no problem breaking through using a small oil burner. It definitely takes practice though, like someone said, it's an artform and everyone has their methods. Also the DMT being vaped is clear shards. Vaping anything even slightly gooey or waxey or orange or yellow in the oil burners, yeah, it's pretty hard to blast off. Those are all indicators of crappy DMT or "DMT" that's actually mixed alkaloids. though so thats a whole different issue entirely.

UPDATE

I attempted to vaporize 20mg of DMT in my Haze V3 dry herb/concentrate vaporizer. I sandwiched it between a bottom layer of ash and a top layer of weed in a steel concentrate cannister. I kept the temp around 370-380 and took draws periodically.

I didn't have a breakthrough, but I did feel slightly trippy along with some faint CEVs and a melty body feeling. I then tried smoking the contents out if a chillum with a sprinkle of additional DMT with no success.

What exactly did I do wrong? Should I try a bowl with thicker layers of plant matter above and below?

UPDATE

I attempted to vaporize 20mg of DMT in my Haze V3 dry herb/concentrate vaporizer. I sandwiched it between a bottom layer of ash and a top layer of weed in a steel concentrate cannister. I kept the temp around 370-380 and took draws periodically.

I didn't have a breakthrough, but I did feel slightly trippy along with some faint CEVs and a melty body feeling. I then tried smoking the contents out if a chillum with a sprinkle of additional DMT with no success.

What exactly did I do wrong? Should I try a bowl with thicker layers of plant matter above and below?

Get a "meth" pipe and an alcohol lamp(cooler flame) and you can't miss, worked(quit vaping the stuff) nearly every time for me...or you can build some humongous convoluted contraption and get the same or worse results.
People over think it IMO.
Hell I had several, a dozen or two, trips to the other side just sticking some in an empty weed pipe and using a butane torch lighter, then again, I had a shit load of the stuff.

But Nutz, how do you prevent it from burning with a butane lighter and nothing else?

I always vape it, but then again, I really have trouble breaking through, so you might have something there.
On the other hand, I had other people breaking through on my stuff and the exact method I use, so I'm not sure what my problem with DMT exactly is.

I do remember that every time I managed to burn it I had very powerful experiences, but combined with a burning throat they weren't enjoyable at all of course.

Get changa and use a wooden pipe, or make a bucket/gravity bong.

If you are determined to smoke out of bong just try Salvia. I tryed 60x extract my first time and it was great.

But Nutz, how do you prevent it from burning with a butane lighter and nothing else?

Well I held the flame over the DMT getting it just close enough to see it start to melt, but never touched the flame to the product.
See I didn't have any one to ask advice from so I improvised.
The meth pipe , for me, is the best, but I'd been smoking meth for a few years and you have to have technique so as not to burn the meth and, evidently, DMT is the same way. So I had had a lot of practice before I even knew what DMT was.
Also, the meth pipe is not a light bulb, the light bulb was so big that as you start it smoking a great deal of the DMT would condense inside the bulb, but a meth pipe is much more confined.
There it is FWIW.

I have found through a few "botched" attempts that a mesh and a big glass cone piece is the best way for me.

My hand grinder had a kief catcher(mesh) and it came out.
I decided to fold it up with a small amount of dmt inside.
Jet lighter the mesh from far enough away so the flames not sinking through the metal, get it redhot while pulling semi hard through your bong.
You will get a thick chamber of spicey smoke thats barely harsh, if you pull long enough you easily get the whole hit(without even talkng thumb off shotty)
Just dont use a cone piece with bud resin on it, you will get smoke off it and you dont want to be holding that in for 15 seconds.

Ive tried the meth pipe for spice smoking, ide suggest against it quite heavily.
I am yet to break through with my method because it hasent been the right time, but ive had some strong effects from it.