• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants A detailed statement on "efficiency" when doing your hot rails

FuktaUpperclas

Bluelighter
Disclaimer** I did not write this, rather I had inquired @ drugforum if anyone had some insight to amp my hot rail rig as I was literally burning through my stash at a stupid rate and bubs had just joined the cemetery of glass with the many others I've put there over the years. Anyway, amongst all of these "matter of factly" manured dicks who only seemed to respond with intent to analyze my grammar and/or kill the fucks out of my buzz, this person took the time(a lot more time than I would ever have thought, was super sweet of her) to write this super informative script.. lots of good knowledge to the common tweakers to utilize :) enjoy!

"it seems that with meth, almost more than most other drugs, there are about as many ways to use it as there are people who use it. which is to say... a lot. you can smoke it. snort it. inject it. swallow it. even plug it via your bum (or, for the ladies, your vagina).
one such method, hot rails, essentially combines insufflation (the technical term for snorting) with smoking. it certainly has its advantages for those who like either - the main one being that one can take the equivalent of several hits off a pipe at once, without the burn of unvaporized dope in the nose or the waste of vapor out the carb (i dunno about you folks, but i'm trying to get ME high, not the walls). for smokers in particular, taking a bigger hit like that allows you to get more into your system and where it needs to be in your brain before your brain starts downregulating things in response, meaning you can actually get a stronger high with less dope, if you do it right (in theory, anyway, as well as in my experience).

that's not to say, however, that it isn't an acquired skill. it takes a bit of practice to get halfway decent at it, sometimes a lot of practice. the gear and setup. how big to make the lines. how long to heat whatever you're using to vaporize the lines (hint: a long time lol, though if it's too hot you can flash the dope instead, i.e. catch it on actual fire - and that is NOT something you want to inhale, for multiple, multiple reasons). etcetera.

this is not a how-to thread - i am hardly a practiced practitioner of the hot rail; in fact i, too, have a considerable bit of difficulty with the technique. (it's for this reason i generally stick with my bong or the pipe - much simpler; laziness wins.) but there are a few things i've learned that might help others who struggle with different parts of the process than me, and i'd be curious to see what other tips experienced users might have to add..

• make the lines much shorter than you think you'll need to, like, MUCH shorter. in my sparse experience, the heated part of the glass cools much too quickly to vaporize the entire line otherwise, and you end up inhaling powder (or worse, tiny shards) instead...leaving you with that nasty burning feeling in your nose that a proper hot rail should avoid, and often with powder spilling out of your nostrils and onto your face. you might be able to snort a massive rail, but it's a helluva lot harder to vaporize that same rail in-between the table and your face.

• while it can be tempting to try just putting a pipe up to your nose and going a route leaning more towards traditional smoking, there are two things to keep in mind: one, you're not going to get as big a hit as you would with a proper hot rail; and two, the temperature of the vapor. it's not as hot as liquid dope by the time it reaches the end of the stem, but that doesn't mean it's not still hot - and while your mouth is used to having hot things in it (coffee, tea, soup, cake fresh out the oven, etc), your nose isn't. it's much more sensitive, the membranes are much thinner and less physically able to deal with excessive heat, and while it has mucous, that's not the same as a mouth full of saliva to cool things down. whatever you use, it's strongly advisable to add a length of tubing (medical grade, if you're lucky enough to have access, or a drinking straw taped on to seal will work) to give it a little time to cool down.

• if you have a straight tube for the glass, try to get one with a twist in it, or if you're experienced in these sorts of things (PLEASE GOD DON'T TRY THIS IF YOU'RE NOT, safety first!!) use a torch to put a bend or a twist in the end you're going to heat for the rails. the more chance the dope has to hit hot glass, the more chance it has to vaporize (reducing the chances of unvaporized powder in your nose). i think it was @"(removed)" that posted once about using a pipe and taking the rail through the carb, which is really clever for this purpose (and also buys an extra second or two of time where the glass is still hot enough). a straight tube with no bend or twist means a higher likelihood of powder in your nose.

• your glass should be long enough to have enough space between your hand and the hot end so that you don't burn your fingers. NEVER hold your setup by any tubing you have attached - it can get soft and lose its grip, and if you use tape to secure it the adhesive can melt. (longer glass helps with both of these, btw.) no one wants to drop that kind of hot glass on themselves - trust me...not to mention the risk of dropping it in the lines you've worked so hard to set up.

• if you're really lucky and can get you're really lucky and can get your hands on one...my husband and i have found a full nose-and-mouth mask, like the kind you see used with oxygen tanks or nebulizers, lets your inhale with both your nose AND your mouth...and you don't have to plug the opposite nostril, either! just make sure you seal off any side holes and that you get a good seal with the tubing you use.

• i recommend against colored glass tubes - the one time we used one, the color that seemed to be in the glass was actually a thin coating that ended up burning off...an unpleasant addition to the hit lol.

• finally, hold your hits!! ideally, as with smoking, you shouldn't exhale any visible vapor - big clouds look cool and all, but that's just wasted dope that you could have smoked. if you still exhale a lot of vapor after holding it as long as you can, make the rails even smaller. take half a rail if you need to.

anyone else have any pro tips to share that they've learned? let's hear 'em
slightsmile emoticon
"

Whether you have a partner in crime or a hookup inclined pass the hit between each other and take a refresher breath in between if you need one at a point. You'll get nearly all the juice when it's all said and done w/the added benifit of it being pretty hot to even a potentially intimate/passionate time....Take your hit and hold while passing the still smoking hot railer to them cause why waste it and it you can keep it up awhile the partial asphyxiation also adds it's own fun twist to the mix. 😋

Lol torches are fun but I wouldn't worry to much about it. I've been smoking awhile now and I've never once thought about lighting a trashcan on fire...before I did it. I used to have nightmares about catching fire safety awareness from Smokey the Bear in the begining, I'd wake up in the middle of the night covered cold wet sweat dripping screaming only I can prevent forest fires! But short of accidently putting one out on accident cause I wasn't looking when I was half awake in the morning taking a piss that's all it's ever been, a nightmare! Lol random tangent aside

I totally agree on the nose idea, I've actually been trying that out the last couple months when I remember to or if I am alone cause it kinda grosses people out getting passed a nose oil burner. haha But my teeth should be worth more then the fraction of dignity it costs to do that. Smart idea though man, like minds think alike!

I totally agree on the nose idea, I've actually been trying that out the last couple months when I remember to or if I am alone cause it kinda grosses people out getting passed a nose oil burner. haha But my teeth should be worth more then the fraction of dignity it costs to do that. Smart idea though man, like minds think alike!
Its explained in that 40 chapter novel above, quoted by OP. The effect isn't the same by any stretch. Despite the author's claim of "there shouldn't be any unvaporized drug making it into your nose", it does and will unless you're using a sufficiently long instrument (like silicone aquarium tubing).
But then you're really just smoking a lot at once through a nostril, as nohandsjoe suggested. The melted substance doesn't burn your nasal passages, as is widely believed.
One big benefit i find to this is the lack of a drip that regular insufflation gives me.
Achieving a rail thats 100% vapor would require red hot glass that as the author also stated, would cause combustion and very toxic vapor byproducts.

Last edited:
Its explained in that 40 chapter novel above, quoted by OP. The effect isn't the same by any stretch. Despite the author's claim of "there shouldn't be any unvaporized drug making it into your nose", it does and will unless you're using a sufficiently long instrument (like silicone aquarium tubing).
But then you're really just smoking a lot at once through a nostril, as nohandsjoe suggested. The melted substance doesn't burn your nasal passages, as is widely believed.
One big benefit i find to this is the lack of a drip that regular insufflation gives me.
Achieving a rail thats 100% vapor would require red hot glass that as the author also stated, would cause combustion and very toxic vapor byproducts.
I agree with that however in this instance I was only referring to inhalation through the nose for a regular hit like that taken from an oil burner or bubbler.