• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

A.D.H.D. Seen in 11% of U.S. Children as Diagnoses Rise

I think ADHD exists but it's over-diagnosed in children.
if it exists then why is it so hard to accurately diagnose? if somebody who doesnt have it can easily test for it, then maybe they need some better tests.

and i don't think medication should be the first line of treatment or even an option for young kids

With the multi-media and dynamic technological learning tools available to children which permit them to learn non-linearly when they're at home on the computer, it's no wonder they are having attention deficits when expected to sit at desks in neat little rows and study from a textbook.

I love browsing Wikipedia non-linearly. One link leads me to the next thing, to the next, and so on. I usually end up learning about a subject that has little to do with what I went to Wiki for. You can also click on reference links that shed more context on the current volume you're reading. I know Wiki isn't thorough and literary texts are still important, but it's hard for me to imagine a young child used to web surfing being expected to focus on one subject for hours on end, with maybe one recess put in there.

With the way I learn now, you would have to drug me in order to maintain any kind of scholarly tunnel vision.

That's what you get when you have a healthcare system that runs on commission billing insurance, HMO's Medicaid, and a shitload of Indian & Iranian psychiatrists ready to milk the shit out of monthly schedule II narcotic visits.

I used to go to an Iranian psychiatrist for Vyvanse and you wouldn't believe how many people I could tell were on Medicaid, getting their kids expensive medication, for them to sell/abuse, at the expense of the taxpayer. disgusting.

doctors are fucking legalized drug dealers that run on commission. The healthcare system should not run on commission by doctor visits... It should pay providers a flat salary and be socialized. Doctors should be social workers, not fucking legal drug dealers...

I think ADHD exists but it's over-diagnosed in children.

My thoughts exactly. I'm in Australia where diagnoses for this condition are much more rare, and have only ever met one person with it and it was incredibly obvious. This guy even at 23 could just not sit still for more than 2 seconds. The problem is that many kids are freaking hyper, I think to actually diagnose someone there should be a requirement of multiple (10+) sessions with the doctor and a significant amount of insight into the situation, as putting a young kid on daily doses of amphetamine can be utterly cruel otherwise.

that was the first thing I thought of too but idk how much "street value" you would really get for em

the only benefit would be you legally can carry them around

You would be surprised how much some people will pay for these things. When I was younger my buddy would sell his 30 count bottle of 30mg XRs for as much as a 8ball of meth would cost.

That's not what we bought though, most of the time we just went and got weed. I imagine a great number of kids do the same thing

Uhh. source?
Uhh first-hand experience in the 11% ...

The doctor that originally diagnosed me was from India. Then another from Iran. Both in-network on my HMO. Why not milk a cash cow?

That's like asking me for a source we have foreign doctors in the US. It's common knowledge at least half were born in another country and come here to milk our outrageously expensive, for-profit healthcare system. I got more important shit to do than feed trolls on bluelight.

Last edited:
That's n=2, not nearly enough for confirmation, including that you didn't conduct a test. You need a real source.

No its not. "Common knowledge" doesn't cut it either. Its like asking how can you make a blatantly racist comment without even attempting to substantiate it.

And name calling to boot. Reported.

My thoughts exactly. I'm in Australia where diagnoses for this condition are much more rare, and have only ever met one person with it and it was incredibly obvious. This guy even at 23 could just not sit still for more than 2 seconds. The problem is that many kids are freaking hyper, I think to actually diagnose someone there should be a requirement of multiple (10+) sessions with the doctor and a significant amount of insight into the situation, as putting a young kid on daily doses of amphetamine can be utterly cruel otherwise.

Yeah that's pretty much me. I got diagnosed at 18 or 19 can't remember and she said it was pretty obvious because in the waiting room both my legs are just jumping up and down everywhere and all that shit. I scored in the top 1% for inattentiveness on the little test she gave me on the PC (which was an incredibly frustrating test I felt like smashing the computer up).

Still haven't gone on Ritalin, don't really want it until I go to Uni I suppose.

if it exists then why is it so hard to accurately diagnose? if somebody who doesnt have it can easily test for it, then maybe they need some better tests.

and i don't think medication should be the first line of treatment or even an option for young kids

Because the mind is complex and the disorder is also complex. It can be hard to accurately diagnose a lot of mental illnesses but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I don't think children should be put on medication for ADHD either. Especially when it's mostly because they're misbehaving. I think medication should be an option for someone to consider once they reach the age of 16-18 if they still show symptoms of ADHD. And I agree with other posts that tests should be more rigorous. I had a pretty long session of questions/tests with a clinical psychologist but I hear in America sometimes people just go to their GP and the GP diagnoses them after one short session of questions then gives them meds.

I have ADHD and I only feel fine after taking my prescriptions. Otherwise, I don't fit in and no one likes me.