• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

A.D.H.D. Seen in 11% of U.S. Children as Diagnoses Rise

Bluelight Crew
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/01/h...of-hyperactivity-causing-concern.html?hp&_r=0

Nearly one in five high school age boys in the United States and 11 percent of school-age children over all have received a medical diagnosis of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, according to new data from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

These rates reflect a marked rise over the last decade and could fuel growing concern among many doctors that the A.D.H.D. diagnosis and its medication are overused in American children.

The figures showed that an estimated 6.4 million children ages 4 through 17 had received an A.D.H.D. diagnosis at some point in their lives, a 16 percent increase since 2007 and a 53 percent rise in the past decade. About two-thirds of those with a current diagnosis receive prescriptions for stimulants like Ritalin or Adderall, which can drastically improve the lives of those with A.D.H.D. but can also lead to addiction, anxiety and occasionally psychosis.

“Those are astronomical numbers. I’m floored,” said Dr. William Graf, a pediatric neurologist in New Haven and a professor at the Yale School of Medicine. He added, “Mild symptoms are being diagnosed so readily, which goes well beyond the disorder and beyond the zone of ambiguity to pure enhancement of children who are otherwise healthy.”

And even more teenagers are likely to be prescribed medication in the near future because the American Psychiatric Association plans to change the definition of A.D.H.D. to allow more people to receive the diagnosis and treatment. A.D.H.D. is described by most experts as resulting from abnormal chemical levels in the brain that impair a person’s impulse control and attention skills.

While some doctors and patient advocates have welcomed rising diagnosis rates as evidence that the disorder is being better recognized and accepted, others said the new rates suggest that millions of children may be taking medication merely to calm behavior or to do better in school. Pills that are shared with or sold to classmates — diversion long tolerated in college settings and gaining traction in high-achieving high schools — are particularly dangerous, doctors say, because of their health risks when abused.

cont. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/01/h...of-hyperactivity-causing-concern.html?hp&_r=0

I actually just read a book in which it talked about this; it seems that the definition of AD(H)D is also becoming more broad.

Drugging children to make them fit into a defunct education system, all while making a tidy profit on the drug sales. Only in America.

here's a fucking nightmare of a math problem:

One in nine children are diagnosed with ADHD. One in five boys are diagnosed with ADHD. There are roughly equal numbers of boys and girls in the population. Therefore, one in _____ girls are diagnosed with ADHD.

Can anyone answer that, without looking up the total child population?

These types of problems always trip me up. How did you solve it?

I smoked and it came to me:

OK pick a round number to make it easy: if there are 100 boys and 100 girls, 22 children (11%) will be ADHD. 20 of these will be boys (1 in 5), so 2 will be girls. Therefore:

One in five boys are ADHD. One in FIFTY girls are ADHD.

Holy shit! Girls, get with the program.

Last edited:
I actually just read a book in which it talked about this; it seems that the definition of AD(H)D is also becoming more broad.

I have read this, and also that awareness of ADHD is (highly) increased.
Whether these two things account for the entire rise of ADHD is very, very hard to calculate.

I smoked and it came to me:

OK pick a round number to make it easy: if there are 100 boys and 100 girls, 22 children (11%) will be ADHD. 20 of these will be boys (1 in 5), so 2 will be girls. Therefore:

One in five boys are ADHD. One in FIFTY girls are ADHD.

Holy shit! Girls, get with the program.

I am glad that you figured out the answer to your own problem ;)
(Before I had to try!)

But, I sometimes think that ADHD is simply boys' disease.

Boys are not really "in this world". They are gone, living in an imaginary world in their minds. Their play typically involves things like imagining fire shooting out of the "sword" (actually a stick) that they are holding.

Girls are much more "grounded in this world". Their play often involves pretending they are adults, and making fake food, and setting up a small "toy shop" in their room.

The way that boys play, it is difficult to round them up and have them focus on what teacher/parent wants. The way girls play, it is much, much easier.

That is to say, when boys are "too much like boys", they are given the diagnosis of ADHD.

I am aware that these are blanket generalizations, but they are widely applicable. I speak as a parent of both sexes of children, as someone with experience teaching in elementary school, and as someone interested in observing children's behavior in general, particularly as it relates to psychological and social development.

so this means more adderall from kids who really dont like it but get a shit load every month?

good diagnose every kid who cant sit still with it pump out those addis

or a vyvanse if you want to be different

We had an article here a while back that said that Adderall for academic enhancement is a good thing, whether or not the kid has ADD. I can't find it (the article, not Adderall). Anybody else know about this?

how about you just let kids be kids... let them run around and play outside. then maybe they won't be so hyper. get them off the couch... it'll combat childhood obesity as well

buncha retards running the APA i swear. someone's making $ off this

everyone makes money off better students

school districts get more funding
parents are happy
kids are pilled up so dont know the difference
I wish I had a script of that shit in school I would have been a 4.0 student like im not even kidding

but situationally I was all about them

what could go wrong with giving broke-ass kids a bunch of pills that have street value???

Let them chew coca instead.

that was the first thing I thought of too but idk how much "street value" you would really get for em

the only benefit would be you legally can carry them around

Coca isn't that great for concentration; amphetamine and methylphenidate are much more functional drugs.

As for giving children speed, I don't think that's a good idea. As for giving responsible adults ADD meds to increase their output (at lowish doses), I don't have much of a problem.

I have read this, and also that awareness of ADHD is (highly) increased.
Whether these two things account for the entire rise of ADHD is very, very hard to calculate.

Oh no it has to do with many, many factors, what with the consolidation of power the pharmaceutical industry has achieved, the increasing rigor of everyday life, greater reliance on instant gratification, and other socio-politico-cultural dynamics.

What I worry about are the true innovators being confined. Stimulants can focus the mind so much that remarkable, creative ideas can fall out of the field of vision. And since capitalism is such a failed model, we do need these kinds of people. Interestingly on this note recently I've been reading Nietzche, and he is so astoundingly presciently innovative that I can hardly believe it.