• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News A 13-year-old Died From Overdosing on Benadryl...TikTok Challenge

RUC4

Bluelighter
A 13-year-old Died From Overdosing on Benadryl After Attemping A TikTok Challenge

Insider.com
Sarah Al-Arshani
18 April 2023

Excerpts:

A 13-year-old in Columbus, Ohio died after taking at least a dozen Benadryl pills as part of a TikTok challenge.
Friends of Jacob Stevens filmed as he attempted the challenge — which involves taking enough pills to induce hallucinations — when he began to have seizures,...
Stevens was hospitalized and spent six days on a ventilator before he died, ABC reported.
This isn't the first time a viral challenge has turned deadly. Viral trends like the milk crate challenge and the blackout challenge have for years circulated online, mainly on TikTok, resulting in FDA warnings, death, and lawsuits.

The Stevens family is asking lawmakers to put age restrictions on medication like Benadryl,..He also said he thinks TikTok itself should have an age restriction.

Wow. I have a 13-year-old and this is scary.

However, I'd like to think my kid would know better since I've included harm reduction in parenting.

I don't know if an age restriction on tiktok would make a difference considering all you have to do is click a box saying you're of age. Should benadryl be put behind the counter like sudafed? i've read about this on Reddit and other places about the benadryl high idea. i've commented so many times that there are better ways to get high.

Wow. I have a 13-year-old and this is scary.

However, I'd like to think my kid would know better since I've included harm reduction in parenting.

I don't know if an age restriction on tiktok would make a difference considering all you have to do is click a box saying you're of age. Should benadryl be put behind the counter like sudafed? i've read about this on Reddit and other places about the benadryl high idea. i've commented so many times that there are better ways to get high.
I mean im pretty sure it’s a diliriant and ime diliriants are not fun drugs. I have no problem in Benadryl being behind the counter for age verification but I’m firmly against prohibition. I believe in regulation/restrictions but I am anti prohibition.

I think Tik Tok needs to moderate their site better and not allow that kind of challenge but it’s likely they don’t give a damn.

I also have a 13 (nearly 14) yr old and things like this do terrify me, I have also included a LOT of harm reduction parenting with my son. I know (hope) he wouldn't do such a thing but I do worry for other kids. Peer pressure is real and it beats even the best parenting sometimes.

I also have a 13 (nearly 14) yr old and things like this do terrify me, I have also included a LOT of harm reduction parenting with my son. I know (hope) he wouldn't do such a thing but I do worry for other kids. Peer pressure is real and it beats even the best parenting sometimes.
Exactly. I would HOPE they know better, but peer pressure is Everything at that age especially.

Sadly, this kid didn't get the chance to learn a lesson. It's heart-breaking.

do you think it's a tiktok issue?

Exactly. I would HOPE they know better, but peer pressure is Everything at that age especially.

Sadly, this kid didn't get the chance to learn a lesson. It's heart-breaking.

do you think it's a tiktok issue?
It's definitely a huge part of the problem. They really should be shutting that shit down faster, they know its an issue. I'm surprised no one has sued them yet.

It's definitely a huge part of the problem. They really should be shutting that shit down faster, they know its an issue. I'm surprised no one has sued them yet.
I'm SURE people have tried. I think I've read that Tiktok is independently owned by a single person. I'm sure that makes it more difficult, Large organizations are more likely to settle and give you compensation.

I know personally, my kid is obsessed with Tiktok, but there's a huge difference between liking a platform and falling prey to pranks (or whatever you'd call it) by people on it. It's a tough situation with internet and kids. (and even adults)

I'm SURE people have tried. I think I've read that Tiktok is independently owned by a single person. I'm sure that makes it more difficult, Large organizations are more likely to settle and give you compensation.

I know personally, my kid is obsessed with Tiktok, but there's a huge difference between liking a platform and falling prey to pranks (or whatever you'd call it) by people on it. It's a tough situation with internet and kids. (and even adults)
My son is the same, in fact I banned TikTok from his phone for about a year there. It's absolute shit and I detest it but he's a bit older now and so I've loosened the reigns. I will be having another conversation with him tonight about this though.

I bought him a new bike last week and thank fuck he is using it and outside the majority of the time these days. I still know he's down at the hangout watching that shit with his friends though. Can only do your best as a parent, worry a lot but hope you've taught them what they need to know. Parenting is not easy, one of the hardest things I'll ever do but worth every second.

Benadryl is OTC in Ireland so you need to ask pharmacist for it.

I think there needs to be drug education in school similar to sex education. Obviously better for a parent to do it... but parents don't teach their kids how to use condoms. They showed us how condoms worked in 5th grade.

I think there needs to be drug education in school similar to sex education. Obviously better for a parent to do it... but parents don't teach their kids how to use condoms. They showed us how condoms worked in 5th grade.
I'm assuming D.A.R.E. doesn't qualify as drug education?

I'm assuming D.A.R.E. doesn't qualify as drug education?
I guess it did, but was much more propagandized and didn't actually do any education or harm reduction. Telling kids not to do something obviously doesn't work.

I'm not exactly sure how to approach it, but maybe some actual medical education.

But it would never happen anyways.

Isn't benadryl active on the muscarinic receptors? Damn, mustve felt weird to die like that.
It's antimuscarinic, but it kills you from acetylcholine blockade.

And yes. It's an awful way to die.