• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

8 years addiction to bupe and now free of the curse learn how folks

Hey man solid work on moving forward with your life. I've been tapering my Subutex, I'm at below 1mg right now and so happy to have the fog of this drug wear off. Been through it so many times but now that I'm older I know this will be the last. I cannot imagine 8 years on subs, I'm at 8 months, but it will still be difficult. It's the weeks after you stop that are the hardest, possibly even months, but im ready.

There is nothing like feeling alive again, every breath, every sound, every day having that lucidity to it. Subs wash all those small things out for me. The sleep inconsistencies, the mild but annoying sweats and general pain intolerance suck the most. :( Not looking forward to it. Anyway thanks for sharing your journey. How do you feel a year later now?
U shud prepare urself mentally and get the adequate comfort meds if u wanna b clean too. It's not that hard if u commit urself to getting sober forrealzzz

Hey man solid work on moving forward with your life. I've been tapering my Subutex, I'm at below 1mg right now and so happy to have the fog of this drug wear off. Been through it so many times but now that I'm older I know this will be the last. I cannot imagine 8 years on subs, I'm at 8 months, but it will still be difficult. It's the weeks after you stop that are the hardest, possibly even months, but im ready.

There is nothing like feeling alive again, every breath, every sound, every day having that lucidity to it. Subs wash all those small things out for me. The sleep inconsistencies, the mild but annoying sweats and general pain intolerance suck the most. :( Not looking forward to it. Anyway thanks for sharing your journey. How do you feel a year later now?
im feeling better mate back to the old me but it wasnt over night, but the truth is the 1st week to 2 weeks are the worst but like i said for 1st week i used vals and gabapentin and that really worked you just have to numb your brain for 7 days and the rest you can take on the chin and mate it is well worth getting over this slavery to opiates im free again and will never do it again and i thought i was going to be a lifer on it at one point but it can be done with the right prep

Well thats me 21 months of subutex best move i made i swore i wouldnt be on drugs by the time i was 50 yrs old as i failed at that promise at 40 lol but 21 months and no looking back, start another new year drug free and if i can do it you can to, i was a slave to bupe for 8 years and thought id be a lifer but i got through the withdrawals and feel so much better in life

Anyone can quit drugs if they really want to.

A big problem is that most people are shamed or stigmatized into quitting when they really don't want to.
This obviously is gonna cause failure & guilt of the self. Society should be ashamed that they've been putting people into that position for decades upon decades now.

Anyone can quit if they really want to.
I'm some one who doesn't want to though. I don't care to earn "moral" brownie points with society by suffering in the name of abstinence. No one should have to be expected to either, unless their drug of choice is ruining their health. And considering opioids are less toxic than alcohol, I should have the right to use what I want to use to get through my day to day existence.

28 months clean now folks the freedom is fantastic if i can do it you can to
That's awesome! Proud of you for sharing your success story, hopefully it can inspire others.

Going through opioid PAWS now after a decade of daily use, and although it seems never ending, day by day I get a little bit better.

Happy for you, keep going!
How do you think it made you a recluse because I am starting to feel like that but I don't work summers so not sure...

I hope that I am not on bupe a long time, I am on month 3-4 after coming off like 700mg daily of scripted opiates. Only relapsed for a day or two and still had subox in me.
I am hoping it won't be as rough for me because I hate the suboxone, it doesn't give me any felt/noticeable effects except I am obviously not in wd. I often forget to take it until I happen to see it that day.... So I am not obsessing or looking forward to taking it. I feel like I have no energy though and of course I am still in a lot of pain but I guess better pain and no prescription headaches... I am scared of how long to stay on these, like I should just be sick now vs in the fall.

Congrats again and if you have any thoughts about how the bupe made you feel isolated, please share
Ty

Hey @jock briton !

That's really cool that you've figured your way out of this. Maintenance is a tricky thing. How do we know when it's taking from us more than it's giving? It's difficult, not only to know and understand the Truth of the situation, but to face the trials of actually getting off the medication. So many people remain on maintenance after the "period of benefit" we shall call it and are aware of this fact, yet the thought of initiating a long and painful withdrawal willingly... well. All of these factors contribute to the difficulty of the endeavour.

You deserve a pat on the back for your hard work. That's another thing - it's incredibly honorable to quit, but there aren't a lot of awards or appreciation. All of that stuff will come over time though, in the form of love from the people around you for whom you will now be a more engaged part of their lives.

Thanks a lot for getting back to the forums to report your success. It's pretty often that people get what they need from the resources (no hate here, just saying) and simply don't ever return. We don't really know if they're alive or dead. The method you used to quit your dependence is very similar to my own story, hence I often recommend it in some form to those in similar circumstances. I'm thankful to see you've made it and I'm also happy to hear someone else has gotten off the way I did. It will all be useful information both emotionally and practically for future users, so one final thanks for your contribution. Feel free to stick around!

im feeling better mate back to the old me but it wasnt over night, but the truth is the 1st week to 2 weeks are the worst but like i said for 1st week i used vals and gabapentin and that really worked you just have to numb your brain for 7 days and the rest you can take on the chin and mate it is well worth getting over this slavery to opiates im free again and will never do it again and i thought i was going to be a lifer on it at one point but it can be done with the right prep
What dose did you jump at? And congratulations, no easy feat for sure

Only person I know to succeed also went to kratom & lyrica, than to vicodin for a few days. So good advice i must say.

If I can walk off 90mgs a day of methadone plus 3-4 extra 90mg bottles off the street a week for 2.5yrs then I know anybody can get off maintenance. I've been a withdrawing opioid addict since 17-18 and I'm 42. The only clean time I've had in all that time was a month, 13 months and 9mths all at seperate points and when I say clean I just mean opioids except for the 13mths in a halfway house. The 9mths was also a halfway house but I took low dose kratom a lot of days and phenibut. I'm at 3mths now with a 4 day lapse of shitty, low dose poppy seeds that ended on July 4th.

I don't crave opiates at all but my sleeping is still fucked and I crave pot all the time. Good luck everybody. I feel in my heart that I'll never fuck with opioids again. It's my time.

Careful with kratom, it is an opioid, too, and taking it consistently will give you withdrawals. They're not as bad as bupe withdrawals, but they're no walk in the park. A lot of people use kratom and think it's harmless and that they're off opioids, but in fact it binds to the same receptors as a partial agonist.

Gabapentin is pretty miraculous though (pregabalin is even better). It also produces its own withdrawals but if you haven't been dependent on it before, you can take it daily for 7-10 days without problems.

Congrats! I have been on and off opiates for almost 20 years. I did ibogaine in 2014 and didn't touch them again until 2019, didn't even have cravings. Then I relapsed and since then it has been a struggle. Stay vigilant and make sure you don't convince yourself it will be okay, not even once, ever again. That's my advice.
Having just quit kratom for the hundredth time I agree you have to be careful with it. Any time I used it to get off pills or subs I just ended up with a kratom habit. I really hope this was the last one.

dude when i quit bupe i didn't feel right for months. but it is so worth it quitting. good job making it as far as you have! it's a big thing to finally come off of that crap. it gets so comfortable taking your dose everyday that you build such a big fear of not having it. just getting by that in its own is huge!