• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc 5-HTP worsening time to fall asleep / sleep?

fugme

Bluelighter
i know it sounds weird considering it eventually metabolizes into melatonin and considering it has short half-life it probably doesn't affect later half of the sleep.

I have been taking it for two and a half months now, mostly days/weeks after doing serotonergic drugs. The first brand had only 50mg so i didn't notice much regarding sleep, even if i took 2-3 pills at once. However, as i purchased another brand with 200mg pure 5-HTP capsules i started gravitating on using them mainly with benzos in the evening as i was still guaranteed a decent sleep. Not long ago i became suspicious that one of my supplements is worsening my sleep and yesterday i took 6mg of etizolam (i have some tolerance) and 100% daily dose of magnesium (trimagnesium bicitrate) on full stomach and after 30-45 minutes i was noticeably drowsy and tiny bit "wobbly" (less motor control).

In the meantime i decided to take 2 capsules of 5-HTP (400mg) to make most of it as i had taken LSD on weekend and i wanted to replenish my serotonin (yes, i would not recommend to go above 200mg dose).

Anyway about half an hour or so later the drowsiness disappeared almost completely and was very faint in the background. This was very surprising considering i've been doing nothing but sitting on the couch watching tv and wasn't agitated or anything in any way. About an hour later i noticed my eyes got more tired, but the benzo drowsiness was still pretty suppressed to the point i couldn't fall asleep in ~30min and decided to take 2mg of fluclotizolam which helped.

Can anyone explain this? Should i perhaps take it in the morning with EGCG and my daily supplements (currently multivitamin, omega-3, collagen)?

That's weird...I would always pop some 5-htp, get drowsy and sleep. Dunno why you're having issues with it, especially since you've dosed it pretty high.

Today i have tried it the morning (200mg) and decaffeinated EGCG extract (250mg). It didn't produce any drowsiness / tiredness, maybe some calmness. I did have that slight serotonergic feeling / headspace like i'd taken a very small amount of some serotonergic psychedelics / entactogens.