• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

5-htp rocks!

I take one 5-htp capsule (100mg is think) most days and i find it helps me with energy and also to relieve tension headaches which i often get from looking at a computer screen hours on end.

don't ask me why or how or if it's placebo effect but i know it's helpful :)

Wheat protein (gluten) when broken down by your body resemble endorphins, and the main effect endorphins have on your brain is increasing dopamine. The more dopamine goes up in your brain, the more seratonin levels drop, and vice versa.

Doesnt Dopamine control ya motor skills? ie corordination etc? So after pills shouldnt you be really coordinated and such? Or am i way off base here?

and i take 5htp 1 day before, 3 hours before, morning after, and 1 day after dropping. Im not really sure but i dont really notice it that much, sometimes my comedown is really nice and happy and othertimes im really scattered! and i take 5htp every time so its not like im happy when i take and not when i dont take it.

Its the general view on this board that taking 5-htp a day or so before taking MDMA really doesn't have much of effect on the roll. If anything, I believe it makes the roll less intense.

One of the other benefits of having 5HTP daily, is that it suppresses your hunger, therefore you don't eat as much, and it helps you lose weight.

curious, for any regular 5-HTP users, anyone monitoring their urine for seratonin / metabolites?

One of the other benefits of having 5HTP daily, is that it suppresses your hunger, therefore you don't eat as much, and it helps you lose weight.

Bad for lil people (like myself) that need to gain weight! :D

Dr. Beat - No offence but I find your explantion unconvincing and I question weather a number of your points are in fact true. I don't know enough about this topic to refute your claims, but I have read a fair bit on this over the years, and the general feeling I have is that serotonin and dopamine are not for lack of a better word 'mutually exclusive'.

I'd like for somebody more knowledgeable in the matter to confirm or deny these ideas, because they don't sit well with me. What happens then when you take MDMA and Amphetamine? Wouldn't it mean that in theory your serotonin and dopamine levels would remain constant? This doesn't make sense i'm sorry.

reply to Hardicus

Summary of Hardicus message:
"I don't know anything about this subject, but I think Dr. Beat is wrong."

Thats really smart...

If you dont know anything about this subject, then why dont you keep OPEN MINDED until you get more informed.

Anyway, have a good life.

ps. Ignorance is bliss...

Dr. Beat, with all due respect - shut your trap. Hardicus was just asking for a second opinion. Frankly, I'm also a little skeptical about your claims as well. If you really did know as much as you claimed, you wouldnt have responded with such hostility to a little opposition.

Now I dont know much about pharmacology, neuroscience etc. but I do know you are grossly over-simplifying things. People who are depressed arent always suffering from low 5ht for example.

How can you be so sure about things when the human brain is still such an enigma to even the most learned people?

Dr. Beat - My post wasn't intended as a flame, just to further the topic of the conversation. As I already stated I have spent many hours reading about this topic, but don't have the time or energy to go trawling through the internet looking for information I originally came across 2-3 years ago. I just stated that I believe your claims to be weak if not false. Keep it constructive, don't start a flame war. Perhaps back up your claims with something a little more concrete, or would you prefer I start picking holes in your theory? (Believe me it wouldn't be hard).

Dopamine and serotonin are NOT metabolised by the same enzyme. The enzymes are both mono amine oxidases (MAO's) but type A deals with serotonin and type B metabolises dopamine and norepinephrine (noradrenaline) There are even subclasses within these but I won't attempt to explain this as my memory on what I've read is rather sketchy to say the least.

As for serotonin and it's role on influencing dopamine levels; while it is true that serotonin influences dopamine through many secondary mechanisms, it is generally accepted that inter-neural modulators such as GABA play the largest role in this regard. While interstitial 5HT will modulate GABA receptors, the result is not usually a lot more dopamine, in fact it is generally less. That is until if and when serotonin is ever depleted. Then the GABA system of regulating dopamine slows considerably. As there is no inverse regulation of dopamine from 5HT actions on GABA, dopamine is released in large quantities.

This model is well illustrated using a demonstration program developed by Sprague to show how MDMA affects GABA and the inter-relationship between the three neurotransmitter systems. I can't find the original article featuring this wonderful teaching aid online, so if anyone is interested PM and I'll forward it. It's just over 1 meg so I would need an email address.

I have been taking 5-htp 100mgs twice a day and L- Tyrosine 500mgs twice a day, obtain from QLD web site for six weeks now and recently only starting to notice difference (happier, more switched on, massively increased Sex drive, etc) is this pretty normal ? ( i also take Lorazapam, nitrazapam and sodium valporate 500mgs twice a day for over two years)

Secondly, I rarely take pills these days, if i was to take one would i have to be very careful to avoid Serotoin syndrome.

If you stop post loading a couple of days before you drop, the 5htp shouldn't stop your roll. Just don't take it the day before, from my experience anyway.

I used to take 5htp daily. I found anything above 100mg wasn't very nice. Sure, I had much more energy, increased moodlift, etc, but it really felt like an anti-depressant, and eventually I didn't like the 'zombie' sort of feeling. I suffer from bi-polar tendencies, and I found that 5htp helped save me from some pretty serious time in the past, but eventually I just hated the falsed zoned out feeling.

It's great after pills though, and not bad to postload with. If you haven't taken it before, you might feel a little strange while your body adapts to it. If you don't go to sleep after taking, you might experience nausea. If you do, know it usually passes in up to 15 minutes (for me, at least).

Oh, and it has a huge chance of lessing your ability to get stoned, if you're a smoker. That's the other reason I stopped, as I found I just couldn't get stoned, and I've been a daily smoker for over two years.

I just ordered 120 tablets. Been meaning to get some for fucking AGES as i've heard good things.

See how we go.

the L-tyrosine impacts my sex drive i kn ow that for sure ... lets just say that as a guy you become more woody in that respect, i have gotten better results with lower doses of 5htp around the 50mg doses than i had with larger doses.

over the last year i have been trying inositol and 5htp, then a inositol and tyrosine period and now two periods of just inositol by itself.

ive found that the inositol by itself and occasional use of tyrosine and 5htp better than any of the combos.

mind you it nothing that a good diet and exercise wouldn't fix :)

5-htp in australia?

Where do I obtain 5-htp and L-Tyrosine in Australia?
Are there australian websites which supply it?
What about Tryotopham - is that available her?
What's the best all-round / broad spectrum multi-vitamin combination brand to use with amph/m-amph or is better to go for high potentcy b-6 / b-12?

It's legal in QLD to my knowledge.

There is this awesome thing called "Google". You MAY be able to find an online source there. MAYBE. Dunno though.

there's a few health food stores that stock it around brisbane

Just as quick but important note:

Tyrosine should not be used concurrently with MDMA, or as a pre/post load.

L-tyrosine has been shown to be directly associated with MDMA-dopamine induced neurotoxicity.

290 • The Journal of Neuroscience, January 4, 2006 • 26(1):290 –299

Behavioral/Systems/Cognitive

L-Tyrosine Contributes to (+) 3,4-
Methylenedioxymethamphetamine-Induced
Serotonin Depletions; Joseph M. Breier, Michael G. Bankson, and Bryan K. Yamamoto

Laboratory of Neurochemistry, Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston,
Massachusetts 02118

The specific mechanisms underlying (+) 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)-induced damage to 5-HT terminals are unknown. Despite the hypothesized role for dopamine (DA) and DA-derived free radicals in mediating this damage, it remains unclear why MDMA produces long-term depletions of 5-HT in brain regions that are sparsely innervated by DA neurons. We hypothesized that the precursor to DA biosynthesis, tyrosine, mediates MDMA-induced 5-HT depletions. Extracellular tyrosine concentrations increased fivefold in striatum and 2.5-fold in hippocampus during the administration of neurotoxic doses of MDMA. In vitro results show that L-tyrosine can be hydroxylated nonenzymatically to the DA precursor L-3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine (DOPA) under pro-oxidant conditions. The local infusion of L-tyrosine into the striatum or hippocampus during MDMA administration potentiated the acute increase in extracellular DA and the long-term depletion of 5-HT after MDMA. Coinfusion of the aromatic amino acid decarboxylase (AADC) inhibitor m-hydroxybenzylhydrazine attenuated these effects in hippocampus and decreased basal extracellular DA in the striatum. In
contrast, the reverse dialysis of the tyrosine hydroxylase inhibitor alpha-methyl-p-tyrosine into the hippocampus did not affect MDMA induced increases in extracellular DA or the long-term depletion in 5-HT. These results show that MDMA increases the concentration of tyrosine in the brain to cause a long-term depletion of 5-HT via the nonenzymatic, tyrosine hydroxylase-independent, hydroxylation of tyrosine to DOPA and subsequently to DA via AADC. Overall, the findings suggest that MDMA depletes 5-HT by increasing tyrosine and its eventual conversion to DA within 5-HT terminals.

wow.......thanks for that p_d very useful information, is there much more on other supplements and pre and post load you know of??