View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

5-HTP and Mescaline/Cactus

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
If I've been taking 5-HTP daily as supplementation for mood and appetite, I should stop a day or so before a cactus trip, right? Would there be a pre-loading effect, like with MDMA? Would it be dangerous in any way? When could I start 5-HTP again?

It wouldn't be dangerous. In fact I doubt there would be much of a difference in effect as mescaline is just mimicking serotonin rather than releasing it. Serotonin syndrome is only a concern with reuptake inhibitors/releasers, not agonists.

Like SM said, there should be no cause for concern combining those two.

Thank you!!!

What about Rhodiola rosea? Studies find it is a MAOI--https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19168123

Aren't there MAOIs in some cacti?
Could at the least make effects and interactions unpredictable.. I don't see why you should take 5-HTP the day of, and before.
I also don't really believe that pre-loading works unless you would otherwise have serotonin deficiencies for some reason.

It doesn't seem like it's a rate limiting step for your serotonin levels other than that and there is proof that it works for these applications, just no scientific evidence afaik.

You are better off saving it for nothing else than for times when you think you are unusually low on serotonin, not to boost it.

Last edited:
Aren't there MAOIs in some cacti?

Yes, but I thought that was mainly peyote.

Could at the least make effects and interactions unpredictable.. I don't see why you should take 5-HTP the day of, and before.

Well, I'm supplementing for low mood and and anxiety, so if I stop I don't want a spike in bad moods the day of the trip, ya know?

I also don't really believe that pre-loading works unless you would otherwise have serotonin deficiencies for some reason.

Well, maybe I do? I am pretty sick in a number of ways.

It doesn't seem like it's a rate limiting step for your serotonin levels other than that and there is proof that it works for these applications, just no scientific evidence afaik.

What do you mean by "rate limiting step"?

You are better off saving it for nothing else than for times when you think you are unusually low on serotonin, not to boost it.

Yeah I'm not trying to become superman or anything. I'm just trying to be functional.