• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids 40mg Oxycodone IR. Fell asleep. Any chance of hypoxia?

valiyum

Greenlighter
Sorry if this is a real noob question.
Last night i took orally 20 mg Oxycodone instant release (Oxynorm) and then about 1.5 hours later snorted another 20 mg.
After snorting the 20mg i fell asleep immediately. My friend told me that this was a bad idea as i may have caused myself brain damage via hypoxia from respiratory depression. Is this true?
I do recall every now and then waking up and being slightly short of breath but didnt think much of it at the time.

It's way more likely that you just got overly sedated, are you a frequent user of oxy? Intranasal administration makes the drug hit you a lot faster then oral, even though oral has a higher BA, so the combination of the oral use followed by intranasal use probably gave it an extra kick. If that dose knocked you out that fast I would be careful in the future if you're going to continue using oxy or any other opiate. I did a little reading though and it seems that hypoxia is a pretty rare side effect, one source said that out of 32,753 people taking oxycodone who reported having side effects, only 412 (1.26%) had hypoxia -Source.

If you're new to opiates it's not uncommon to get knocked out if you take too high of a dosage. This isn't to say that what you experienced wasn't dangerous, because respiratory depression can lead to death, but unless your showing any signs of brain damage I doubt that you have to worry too much about it.

Im not a frequent user , this would have been my fourth time using it and the first time ive taken a dose above 20 mg. Definitely not going to fuck with opiates again - i've had a splitting headache and nausea since waking up and the possibility of braindamage really worried me and i don't find the euphoria to be that profound . Thanks for the quick response

it sounds to me like you did experience an overdose, especially now that you mention a headache and nausea upon waking. it's probably a good thing that you woke yourself up due to breathing too shallowly because chances are that if you didn't, you would've stopped breathing entirely. that's how overdoses kill people, their brain just forgets to tell them to breath. always stay safe and if you do choose to use opiates again don't exceed your highest known dose and try to be with others.

i didnt wake myself up intentionally , i just noticed every now and then id awaken and be really short of breath but then fall back asleep seconds later. really hoping i didn't deprive my brain of oxygen too much :s

you were nodding. Heed the advice of mazda and take less next time.

A rule of thumb for the opiate naive person is: Anytime you are using a dose that is higher than your usual dose, injecting, or are worried about how the opiates may effect you, do not do it alone. If you have a buddy there, they may be able to rescue you if things go sideways.

I don't think you od'ed and I'm sure you didn't do any damage to your brain. Don't listen to your friend. It totally just sounds like you took too much and nodded for a while.