• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

4 years in jail for posessing hash, 6 for coke, death by firing squad for importing

mydrugbuddy

Bluelighter
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/bali-court-upholds-britons-death-penalty-074041109.html#5Z1wKIp

A British grandmother sentenced to death in Bali for trafficking cocaine has lost her appeal.

Lindsay Sandiford, 56, was sentenced to capital punishment in January for taking almost 5kg (10.6lb) of cocaine onto the island.

She launched an appeal but on Monday the Bali High Court ruled the original punishments was "accurate and correct" and confirmed it.

Sandiford, from Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, has 14 days to appeal to the Supreme Court.

If the Supreme Court also rejects her plea, she can seek a judicial review of the decision from the same court.

After that, only the president can grant her a reprieve.

The sentence would see her shot by a firing squad.

Sandiford was arrested in May 2012 at Bali airport when customs officers found the drugs, worth £1.6m, in her luggage.

She said she had been forced to smuggle the drugs into Bali from Thailand by a criminal gang and that the safety of her children was at risk.

She has cooperated with the police and local authorities, which has led to other arrests.

January's death sentence came as a shock because prosecutors had recommended a 15-year jail term.

Sandiford's lawyer has said the punishment is out of proportion, given she has admitted her crime, expressed regret and helped police in the investigation.

But the court ruled she had damaged Indonesia's hard-line stance on drugs as well as Bali's reputation as a tourism destination.

Three other Britons arrested in connection with the case received lighter sentences.

Julian Ponder was sentenced to six years in jail after being found guilty of possessing cocaine in his luxury Bali villa.

Rachel Dougall was sentenced to 12 months for failing to report Sandiford's crime, and Paul Beales received four years for possession of hashish but was cleared of drug trafficking.

Indonesia enforces stiff penalties for drug trafficking, but death penalty sentences are commonly commuted to long jail sentences.

I'm a Libertarian on drug policies and I find it horrible that governments would consider the death penalty for the mere posession of drugs.

However I'm also a supporter of common sense, can't do the time don't do the crime. Everybody knows certain countries have a certain draconian approach, so unless she was coerced into smuggling, which unfortunately does happen, I struggle to feel sympathy.

Those idiots don't realize that their approach is damaging Bali's reputation as a holiday destination, putting grannies to death over drugs.

If I were the UK government I would call back the Ambassador and issue a travel warning.

nice island, bali, I've been twice, and managed to avoid all the dickhead australian tourists and see the interior. AND a volcano.

Been there as well, was cool, tried surfing for the first time. The interior is awesome, true. Ate well and cheaply too, which is always good.

Been there as well, was cool, tried surfing for the first time. The interior is awesome, true. Ate well and cheaply too, which is always good.

Care-Whoop_de_fucking_doo.gif

I'm a Libertarian on drug policies and I find it horrible that governments would consider the death penalty for the mere posession of drugs.

However I'm also a supporter of common sense, can't do the time don't do the crime. Everybody knows certain countries have a certain draconian approach, so unless she was coerced into smuggling, which unfortunately does happen, I struggle to feel sympathy.

I have to agree with Kenny. I always think the same when I see these types of stories. If I got caught smuggling kilos into the country & got locked up for 15 years I wouldn't be happy but I'd have been well aware of the risks before trying it & I certainly wouldn't try it unless I was prepared to take those 15 years. You've got to be a fucking clown to do it in countries that have the death penalty.

Lol, not at all. Just saying that surely before you shove 4 kilo in your suitcase you would look into what the possible repercussions are should you be caught. When one repercussion might be "Firing Squad" the sensible thing to do is fly somewhere else.

(EDIT At PTCH) Aye, I know man, but I'm sure you get what I meant to.

FWIW, I heard she'd done this a few times? If that's the case, then of course, sympathy isn't quite so forthcoming.

Daft bitch. Yeah, shoot her. ;)

But the court ruled she had damaged Indonesia's hard-line stance on drugs as well as Bali's reputation as a tourism destination.

Best excuse for state-sanctioned murder I've ever seen. No-one will want to holiday in Bali now, no way.