View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

3-meo-dxm

nau5ea

Bluelighter
does anyone think it would be worth it to try this, or any other substituted dxm molecule? would it even be possible to create this? if not, are there other ways to modify the dxm molecule? would it be any good?

Possibilities
5-Keto-DXM
N-allyl-DXM
DXO
O-acetyl-N-allyl-nordextrorphan

nice! thanks Sean :)

edit: found this http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/405927-DXM-analogs

Last edited:
DXM already has a 3-MeO:

4bS,8aR,9S)-3-Methoxy-11-methyl-6,7,8,8a,9,10-hexahydro-5H-9,4b-(epiminoethano)phenanthrene

I just asked in the NSP forum about 10-keto-DXM, the carbonyl should be analogous to the one ketamine and MXE have... but apparently it is a very poor NMDA antagonist / dissociative.

I have been wondering about this as well. Dxm has been a long time favorite of mine, though i rarely use it anymore. I always wondered why there were no analoges of it.

I have been wondering about this as well. Dxm has been a long time favorite of mine, though i rarely use it anymore. I always wondered why there were no analoges of it.

I think it's because ketamine is a much better starting point, because it has less side effects than DXM.

. I always wondered why there were no analoges of it.

1. It's an OTC drug.
2. It's a morhpinan, not an arylcyclohexylamine, so adding a methoxy group on the 3 position is meaningless when compared with what the means when doing so with the ACH dissociatives.
3. Its relative unpopularity, along with its different pharmacology, renders it a poor choice compared with adding simple modifications to reliably popular dissociatives of the PCx class.
4. This path leads to opioids (the good kind) that the DEA would be all over and weird shit (kappa opioid receptor agonism).

I think DXM is a damn tricky compound that just so happens to be a morphinan isomer that has a metabolite with NMDA antagonistic action.. and a very specific compound like that outside of a known family of drugs does not really make a good lead compound. It's not particularly easy to synthesize either, I imagine, although if it wasn't such an outlier it *could* have been interesting to use DXM as starting material if a more potent and interesting NMDA antagonist could be made.

^And yeah I agree with that #3 for sure. Don't see what it being an OTC drug has anything to do with anything - if it wasn't for these other reasons, who cares if it is an OTC drug. If a close analogue would be interesting and possible to make, why wouldn't it be a success?

ketamine wasn't scheduled until 1999!

morphinans are strange, and they give you strange feelings. I just can't wait until somebody puts a methylenedioxy ring on it, then I can roll while I robo. (robo-roll? troll?)

so, solipsis, would you say DXM to DXO is as codeine is to morphine? and if 10-keto-DXM would suck because of its poor agonism, would that mean the 5-keto substitution wouldn't be much different?

Hehe you do know that DXM + MDMA is no-no right? So do you really want an MDO ring on it? ;)

Structurally DXM is to DXM as codeine is to morphine yes: both a 3-methoxymorphinan vs 3-hydroxymorphinan.

I don't know about the 5-keto... it seems wrong that the 10-keto would be analogous to the 2'-oxo ACA's like ketamine...

yeah i knew that, but serotonin syndrome always seemed like my kind of high.

who knows, maybe behind all the neurotoxicity it feels really really good. does an MD ring actually increase serotonergic activity on things other than MDMA, though, or are you just messing with me?

who knows, maybe behind all the neurotoxicity it feels really really good. does an MD ring actually increase serotonergic activity on things other than MDMA, though, or are you just messing with me?

No, I guess I'm just messing with you: such a ring, just a part of a greater molecule, doesn't really give it serotonergic activity - it's the total sum, it's likeness to certain neurotransmitters but above all the fit of that total sum in certain receptors and transporters the define it's activity.
So you cannot slap a methylenedioxy or a 4-fluoro / etc onto a molecule and just hope that it will be like the compounds you derive these groups from... the only thing that works is if you slap it onto a molecule that is suitable because it follows the same SAR, being like those other compounds.

Some of these phenomena like serotonergic dysfunction will probably feel quite good for a while, right up until the point the point where it frustrates some of the brain functions it governs and gives you severe health problems..

Last edited:
Sorry, but lol @ neu5ea. Solipsis isn't messing with you man. SS can be deadly, and very painful.

Also true: SS is a true crisis in the brain, my only point was that people enjoying mild serotonergic dysfunction doesn't reflect that it is in any way a good idea. Besides, considering the known drugs do we really need to push it in such a fashion when we can instead use drugs which don't really bring us close to potentially lethal ranges?

I was mostly messing with you asking if you want an MDO ring on DXM. As I explained, this would be pointless: DXM works very differently from phenethylamines like MDMA or amphetamines so such an MDO ring does not have the same meaning for it at all.
It's a different ballpark.

thanks guys, I guess I should've put a winky face in my post about SS. I know very well that I don't want a major neurological disease. it's not as easy to convey sarcasm over the Internet, it seems.

psoli said:
V.^And yeah I agree with that #3 for sure. Don't see what it being an OTC drug has anything to do with anything - if it wasn't for these other reasons, who cares if it is an OTC drug. If a close analogue would be interesting and possible to make, why wouldn't it be a success?

I guess my idea is that the popular perception of DXM as a thing that people who can't get "real drugs" do would make marketing analogues of it more difficult than that of piperadine based NMDA antagonists which have better branding or whatevs. For folks who aren't into pop-pharmacology, I think that being able to link a "designer drug" to a tried and true illegal drug is a valuable tool in making it salable, and the perception of DXM as a legal option for desperate people (though some of us legitimately love it) would not work well vs something that could be more closely associated with dissociatives of sterling reputation.

Last edited: