• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

23 hours in!!

Soonerfan33

Greenlighter
Good afternoon to you all! I joined today for two reasons! First to thank you all, and secondly today is my first day of quiting hydrocodone! I started about 3 years ago, very small just like everyone! Up to August of this year I never took more than 5 a day! That changed fast! I wanted to quit then and a friend gave me 24mg of Suboxone to take for a week and it knocked my tolerance out of the park! The last 4 to 5 months I have taken 8-14 a day! I have never taken any other opiates other than norcos in my life! I just decided enough was enough and I want to be a better husband to my wife! I am 23 hours in right now! All I have had was water, mens one a day, b12, vitamin c, and 200mg of gabapentin! I have had zero withdrawal up to this time but I am ready for them because of my abuse I deserve them! Thank you all and good luck to you all!!

Soonerfan, I wish you all the best. You can do this! And after youll be very proud. Keep us up to date with your days if you feel like it. What do you have to help you going trough? Anything else apart from what youve writen? Im going CT as well soon.

I am going with vitamins, a lot of water, and no more than 300mg of gabapentin a day! I may use nyquil to try and help sleep, but that's it! May plan is for 3 days 300mg of gabapentin 4 days at 200mg of gabapentin and 3 days of 100mg! So 10 days only! My wife needs me so I can't fail!

Hey Soonerfan.! Welcome to BL. And good for you!! One day down. Right on!

Listen-,you don't deserve withdrawal. I know we all have different views. I have had about a 14yr opiate habit. It started w pre-scribed Oxy Contin and then prescribed Morphine then IV heroin was added.

In all those years I went through withdrawal thosands of times-sometimes up to 5 days worth (no I did not feelbetter yet not even close) But I detoxed to the bitter end twice- naked on a filthy, jail cell floor. Having seizures and hallucinating. Vomiting everytime I moved my eyes uuuggh. I have no idea where the seizures came from I never saw that coming. Anyway, I suffered plenty even before this. It was dangerous and if a medically supervised detox is an option- I am an advocate.

After 6 and a half months in jail I was court/ordered to rehab- I mean door to door. Directly from jaul to rehab. I really wanted to go home. My husband and I were in jail at the same time- he was released earlier because he's an Iraqi combat veteran and the VA had an opening in their rehab for him. I had to wait 3 and a 1/2 mos for a rehab opening. It was worth it-but I didn't know that yet...

But this is where the good part started. I was put into a chronic pain program. They specialized in people w chronic pain that also struggle w abusing their meds i.e addiction. That rehab was and still is the best thing that ever happened to me. I went on to have over a yr and a half clean...then I started playing around w dope here and there but managed not to get myself re-addicted barely...until recently

I had about a straight 3wk run - I kmow what set me off-but I handled it wrong. I dont have an effective support system in place. So now Im on day 2 not using. I'd love to say I feel great and Im so psyched to be on day 2. Nada.

Im miserable. Im experiencing withdrawal thats not pleasant- thank God I have some comfort meds. The cravings are intense and have brought tears to my eyes a few times. But I don't want to go back to that hell of addiction. And its still hard.

Congratulations on making that break. That is one of the hardest things to do - good work. Have a plan in place for if cravings hit or you are feeling weak cause you feel soo f'in shitty. It wouldn't hurt to have some loperamide on hand in case w/d gets intense. There was nothing worse for me than it being 1am amd its too late to do anything and Im losing my mind in w/d. I shudder at those memories. Very good that you got your hands on some gabapentin. I wish you the very best.

There is a webpage; how to quit heroin.com that is absolutly awesome. It gives you all the advice you need about all the types of withdrawals. have a look a it. Today I just bought Loperadime (imodium), Clonodine, (it will help with the chills and heartbeat), some pain med with codeine, I have a stash of good red vein Kratom too. Don't have gabapentin but read that it can hepl a lot. I haven't started yet cause Im so afraid...I'm tiking about tapering cause my daily intake is so high...But no to long on it, 3 weeks, so maybe it will be not that bad...But I can't tell if I don't start. I can't seem to face the physical part of it... Like I said, have a look at this website. This guy knows a lot. You can do it dude!

And just another thing- have a real reason that motivates you - Im telling you even w the possibility of going to jail it was really hard to quit. If your wife needing you keeps your eye on the prize then run w it, remember it when it gets hard. Those drugs seem to so softly and sweetly come knocking on the door to offer you a safe, warm hug when you need it. But while they're hugging you they whip out a machete.... lying bastards. Truly.

And just another thing- have a real reason that motivates you - Im telling you even w the possibility of going to jail it was really hard to quit. If your wife needing you keeps your eye on the prize then run w it, remember it when it gets hard. Those drugs seem to so softly and sweetly come knocking on the door to offer you a safe, warm hug when you need it. But while they're hugging you they whip out a machete.... lying bastards. Truly.

Yes, I so agree with you. A real reason and sticking with it.

Thank you for all the replys, you guys don't know how much I appreciate it! I'm a little over 25 hours in now and I just had a nice dinner with my wife and now we are getting ready to watch the game! I feel great right now to be honest! I am 100%? Absolutely not, but I'm not dying either! I do have some loperamide just in case but to be honest that stuff scares me and I just won't take more than the recommended dose! I will not take more than 300 mg a day of the gabapentin and won't take it past day 10! Wish me luck guys!

Good for you. Dont fear loperamide- it can be a lifesaver. Id take gabapentin- or preferably Lyrica over it anyday. I wish I had some Red Bali Kratom on hand right now. At any rate Glad you're enjoying your evening!

Do you think it will be a problem coming off the gabapentin after 10 days at that low of a dose?

Hey mariconix-dont be afraid. You're very wise to do a slow taper first as slow and steady wins the race. With the arsenal of comfort meds you have and Kratom-you'll be fine. And codeine is a lifesaver for w/d I was thrown in a cell naked - I mean literally thrown in while seizing. You are going to be ok. Take your time. No rush. Good luck! Hope you keep us posted.

There is a webpage; how to quit heroin.com that is absolutly awesome. It gives you all the advice you need about all the types of withdrawals. have a look a it. Today I just bought Loperadime (imodium), Clonodine, (it will help with the chills and heartbeat), some pain med with codeine, I have a stash of good red vein Kratom too. Don't have gabapentin but read that it can hepl a lot. I haven't started yet cause Im so afraid...I'm tiking about tapering cause my daily intake is so high...But no to long on it, 3 weeks, so maybe it will be not that bad...But I can't tell if I don't start. I can't seem to face the physical part of it... Like I said, have a look at this website. This guy knows a lot. You can do it dude!

I see little to nothing of value in this website. Why are you posting it? Do you have a direct link to any of the info you mention in your post to pages that deal with the topics from that website? From a lot of the stuff I did see on that site, I'm very, very tempted to just >snip< it from your post, but I have decided to give you a chance to respond first. I very well could have missed what you're referring to.

Do you think it will be a problem coming off the gabapentin after 10 days at that low of a dose?

Absolutely not, unless you were dependent on it prior to this it is HIGHLY unlike you'll run into any issues with using gabapentin like that (which it doesn't sound like you were - and even if you were ten days isn't really enough to lead to any kind of serious withdrawal symptoms). Normally it takes more like 6 months to a year of moderate to heavy daily use for people to run into real issues discontinuing the medication or with dependence.

Basically you have the green light to use as much gabapentin as needed (I tend to need at least 4-8g/day to deal with acute withdrawal if it's the only substantive detox med I'm using (and this assumes I'm not already tolerant to its effects - you don't want to know how much I need if I already am 8)).

How much do you know about using gabapentin/how much experience do you have using it? It is best to take smallish doses of 400-1800mg with a little fat/protein (cheese) and sodium (saltines) every four hours or so to get the most out of the substance. That tends to work much better than mega dosing once or twice a day.

You should be able to handle things with what you have, particular the gabapentin and loperamide. The vitamins and electrolights are also very help, just make sure to get enough to eat and stay as healthy as possible with what you consume. Proper diet and nutrition make a HUGE difference during withdrawal.

No I don't think it will be bad coming off gaba AS LONG as you're tapering down. I take gabapentin everyday- I ran out and.figured it could wait. Holy friggin hell / the withdrawal was unbearable - for me worse than the opiate withdrawal due to the extreme anxiety that nothing helped and did not let up for a second. It also has many of the same symptoms as opiate w/d. As long as you're keeping the dose low, tapering and on it short-term I believe you'll be A-ok.

Toothpastedog thanks for the info, I appreciate that! So far I have just taken vitamins, and 100mg of gabapentin every 4 hours since 8am! I have only taken 300mg today! I have some loperamide but haven't taken any as of yet in the first 30 hours! My wife has a few xanax and flexeril left but I don't really want to take either of those if I don't have too! So far the first 30 hours have been pretty manageable! A few people told me since I was only on a pretty high doses less than six months I should start feeling better by day 5! I'm just going to keep eating fruits and vegetables, taking my vitamins and the gabapentin as needed! I think I have a decent plan in place but I am open to anything! This forum gave me the strength to quit!

That's good to hear 10yearsgone! Today is the first day I have ever taken gabapentin so 300mg in about 14 hours has helped quit a bit!

I take gabapentin everyday- I ran out and.figured it could wait. Holy friggin hell / the withdrawal was unbearable - for me worse than the opiate withdrawal due to the extreme anxiety that nothing helped and did not let up for a second. It also has many of the same symptoms as opiate w/d. As long as you're keeping the dose low, tapering and on it short-term I believe you'll be A-ok.

But how long were you taking GBP before this happened? With short term use I very rarely have seen or heard that tapering is necessary, particularly if it is only being used for a couple weeks or about a month. In fact, if you're only on it for under a month, I've never heard of anyone needing to taper off it (well, this goes for people without a prior gabaergic dependency - clearly this isn't the OP as he is finding success with very reasonable, low doses). My experience with this stuff mostly comes from seeing and experiencing medical detox protocols (well, and self administered detoxes of course :D).

Toothpastedog thanks for the info, I appreciate that! So far I have just taken vitamins, and 100mg of gabapentin every 4 hours since 8am! I have only taken 300mg today! I have some loperamide but haven't taken any as of yet in the first 30 hours! My wife has a few xanax and flexeril left but I don't really want to take either of those if I don't have too! So far the first 30 hours have been pretty manageable! A few people told me since I was only on a pretty high doses less than six months I should start feeling better by day 5! I'm just going to keep eating fruits and vegetables, taking my vitamins and the gabapentin as needed! I think I have a decent plan in place but I am open to anything! This forum gave me the strength to quit!

Considering you're coming off a pretty substantial opioid habit and have been taking a hell of a lot of buprenorphine for the past few months, you will probably need the alprazolam and Flexiril. Wait until you're four or five days in, and then you will have a much better idea of how the kick is going to be. It takes a long time for buprenorphine to really metabolize out of your system in a way that will really allow the acute withdrawal to come on.

If you're managing this detox with gabapentin and start using like 10-30mg of loperamide a day, it is unlikely you'll run into any serious issues. But you will probably run into issues significant enough to make using alprazolam useful, if for only a short period of time (likely not more than week or simply as needed over a couple weeks). Like GBP you won't be on alprazolam or Flexiril to develop any issues if you are only taking them for a week or two.

Ah HAH! How much have you been using in terms of hydrocodone since then again?

Sounds like you won't face much in the way of problems with this only using GBP and loperamide alone.

My dose has only been really high for about 3 months! Before that week I took the Subs I had never taken over 5 in a 24 hour period!