• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

2 Questions (Alcohol\Oxy intervals + post-Opiate DXM alteration)

Mayo_Tree

Bluelighter
1. How soon can I drink alcohol after taking 100mg Oxycodone? Best I've seen in a cursory search was to wait 5-7hrs afterwards, but this was in relation to a dose of 25mg Oxy, or therabouts.

2. I read some comments on here about how using DXM after having abused opiates changed the buzz (increased hearing voices and sense of impending doom). Can anyone elaborate on that, or explain in greater detail? Will it change back to normal after stopping opiates? If so, how long after quitting opiates might it be back to normal?

How much alcohol are you intending to drink?

By using DXM are you referring to therapeutic doses or recreational high doses?

How much alcohol are you intending to drink?

By using DXM are you referring to therapeutic doses or recreational high doses?

Probably enough alcohol to get an effect (hypothetically).

Recreational doses of DXM (which, to me, are therapeutic doses, but that is just my opinion, and relative to my personal case).

Probably enough alcohol to get an effect (hypothetically).

Recreational doses of DXM (which, to me, are therapeutic doses, but that is just my opinion, and relative to my personal case).
1-2 drinks is not going to kill you, but any more than that I would wait. Many people think alcohol detracts from the oxy high and makes it feel dirty, though, which is potentially another reason to wait.

There is no link between opioid abuse changing how DXM feels afaik.

If someone is complaining about hearing voices or other paranoia while high on DXM they are almost certainly experiencing some degree of psychosis, possibly from sustaining serotonergic damage from repeatedly abusing DXM or other drugs. DXM is not a safe drug to abuse repeatedly in high doses and is well documented to cause permanent serotonergic damage which generally manifests as psychosis, hallucinations, delusions, anxiety, myoclonic jerks, different reactions to serotonergic drugs and other neurological changes. I know a few people who this has happened to.

One drug (opioids) cannot simply make someone start hearing voices on later on from another drug (DXM) without something neurological going on. Generally psychosis or neurological damage.

Also, for what it's worth, opioids and high doses of DXM should never be used or combined together.

Last edited:
1-2 drinks is not going to kill you, but any more than that I would wait. Many people think alcohol detracts from the oxy high and makes it feel dirty, though, which is potentially another reason to wait.

There is no link between opioid abuse changing how DXM feels afaik.

If someone is complaining about hearing voices or other paranoia while high on DXM they are almost certainly experiencing some degree of psychosis, possibly from sustaining serotonergic damage from repeatedly abusing DXM or other drugs. DXM is not a safe drug to abuse repeatedly in high doses and is well documented to cause permanent serotonergic damage which generally manifests as psychosis, hallucinations, delusions, anxiety, myoclonic jerks, different reactions to serotonergic drugs and other neurological changes. I know a few people who this has happened to.

One drug (opioids) cannot simply make someone start hearing voices on later on from another drug (DXM) without something neurological going on. Generally psychosis or neurological damage.

Also, for what it's worth, opioids and high doses of DXM should never be used or combined together.

Thanks, appreciate the response all 'round.

With regards to DXM, I should've kept the link to the thread where I saw it, but I didn't think of it fast enough. Anyhow, the info is greatly appreciated... and a bit terrifying tbh. If I had to guess, I'd be willing to bet that I'm suffering from some of what you mentioned, surely. I've done a *lot* of high-dose DXM abuse over the years.

Will definitely keep all of that in mind.

2. I read some comments on here about how using DXM after having abused opiates changed the buzz (increased hearing voices and sense of impending doom). Can anyone elaborate on that, or explain in greater detail? Will it change back to normal after stopping opiates? If so, how long after quitting opiates might it be back to normal?
This might have been me. It is a very strange occurrence, I absolutely loved DXM and used it on and off for years, then I got deep with deschloroketamine and was looking for a legal, prescribe-able alternative and came with the glorious idea to get into opiate substitution. Ever since did DXM stop to work as usual and provides me now with acoustic hallucinations and bad feelings/dysphoria. It can't have been serotonergic toxicity because the DXM worked as usual until right before getting onto buprenorphine, later methadone and eventually morphine. I have no explanation or even just a clue to what changed. It must be some neurologic change, as Snafu said, drugs don't change substantially out of nothing. I can't tell about whether and when these changes reverse since I didn't challenge DXM since I've stopped morphine yet. It's on my list but I'm scared. Still I hope for reversal of this change, I want my beloved DXM back! Other dissociatives like the mentioned DCK don't have this side.

This might have been me. It is a very strange occurrence, I absolutely loved DXM an)d used it on and off for years, then I got deep with deschloroketamine and was looking for a legal, prescribe-able alternative and came with the glorious idea to get into opiate substitution. Ever since did DXM stop to work as usual and provides me now with acoustic hallucinations and bad feelings/dysphoria. It can't have been serotonergic toxicity because the DXM worked as usual until right before getting onto buprenorphine, later methadone and eventually morphine. I have no explanation or even just a clue to what changed. It must be some neurologic change, as Snafu said, drugs don't change substantially out of nothing. I can't tell about whether and when these changes reverse since I didn't challenge DXM since I've stopped morphine yet. It's on my list but I'm scared. Still I hope for reversal of this change, I want my beloved DXM back! Other dissociatives like the mentioned DCK don't have this side.

Aha, I see. Up until about 2 months ago, I was addicted to DXM from Dec. 2021. Tapered off gradually, but it wasn't easy (especially since I kept occasionally trying to get high on it whilst tapering..... smart, I know). Luckily, I had opiates to fall back on and supplement with (yay!), and now I'm hooked on opiates lol.

Anyhow, during my DXM usage, I had a few really bad anxiety attacks. The panic was so bad I had to call 911, I really thought I was on my way out. I have anxiety\panic disorder in general, so I'm used to basic panic attacks (nothing basic about them, I know, but it's just to point out that these particular attacks were like... 10 times worse than normal).

After reading the threads I mentioned, which (you say) may have been from you actually, it occurred to me that these bad attacks had come at times when I had been regularly mixing opiates (Suboxone) with DXM. So, perhaps there's something to the idea, although I don't know. Just thought it interesting to note. I took some DXM the other day (last week), and the initial come-up manifested like one of those bad panic attacks. I popped a couple benzos and was okay afterwards, but the effects (whatever there was of them) seemed to come and go really quick. Like, within an hour it was gone.

And I've been using opiates for the past few months, so I made the connection. But, as snafu said, perhaps there's nothing to it, although it's certainly strange.

Me too, I wish DXM would just work all the time, ya know? Even more than that... I wish Methoxetamine was readily available and in regular use, because that stuff was a miracle drug for me, seemingly.

@Mayo_Tree to me it sounds like you may be experiencing the beginnings/low level of serotonin syndrome, which is one major danger of combining opioids + DXM.

Hard to say man, DXM is such a weird drug. In therapeutic doses (<50mg) it's harmless but in high doses it can cause some very serious issues.

I can't stress enough to not use buprenorphine + DXM again, it's not some danger to brush off. It's a very major contraindication and will lead to trouble.

Buprenorphine releases a lot of serotonin and causes SS by itself.

@Mayo_Tree to me it sounds like you may be experiencing the beginnings/low level of serotonin syndrome, which is one major danger of combining opioids + DXM.

Hard to say man, DXM is such a weird drug. In therapeutic doses (<50mg) it's harmless but in high doses it can cause some very serious issues.

I can't stress enough to not use buprenorphine + DXM again, it's not some danger to brush off. It's a very major contraindication and will lead to trouble.

Buprenorphine releases a lot of serotonin and causes SS by itself.

Advice duly noted, and taken. Unfortuantely, I don't have any Bupe left at all; unfortunate because I really want (and need) to get off opiates, and if I just had 2 of the buggers I could easily taper. Consequently, I'm now researching Lopermide as a substitute, but the cardio side-effects are worrying me. I don't need anything else aggravating my already honed and polished cardio-phobia, knowmsayin? Still, I may be forced to go in that direction, seeming as I can't see a doc at all, and can't find any Bupe anywhere.

But I digress...

The last time I tried using DXM, I wasn't on opiates that day. I do my best not to mix drugs too much. Ionly did with Bupe after much research, and saw that the two could be successfully combined if one kept within a certain dose range. Still, I may have overdone it. The bad panic attacks happened when I wasn't (I don't think) using Bupe with it that particular day, but had been using it (even in aforementioned combo) more or less rugularly for a week or two.

These days, it seems that everything I take aggravates my anxiety\panic disorder. It's a major drag, lemme tell ya. I'm sure some on here know just what I'm talking about, perhaps even yourself for all I know (although, I hope for your sake that you're not afflicted with this ailment).

DXM potentiates opioids and does not play well with alcohol. especially for such a high dose of oxy... i would just stick with that and do the others later.
if you are experiencing serious trouble with anxiety/panic i cannot enough state that alcohol is the WORST thing you could be taking.
it damages the GABA system and repeated withdrawals/neurotoxicity and kindling make anxiety get progressively worse.
therapy, exercise and staying the eff away from GABA agents all greatly helps anxiety.

What I get was nothing like serotonin syndrome, I know the symptoms of beginning SS from taking DXM on top of SSRIs (don't do it), mostly tension, headache, yawning. Might expand to panic as I got when dosing DXM too high (600+mg) from its NRI activity but the psychotomimetic stuff I experience from DXM ever since I was on buprenorphine is weird shit. I know they say dissociatives mimic schizophrenia but most of them (the arylcyclohexylamines) don't do that for me, they mimic more psychedelic opioids. What's weird is that I got some sort of residual symptoms (hearing whispers in white noise) which are triggered by morphine.

Yeah, DXM should potentiate opioids, some docs even prescribe it for that reason.
@Mayo_Tree What dosage of DXM did you use?

DXM potentiates opioids and does not play well with alcohol. especially for such a high dose of oxy... i would just stick with that and do the others later.
if you are experiencing serious trouble with anxiety/panic i cannot enough state that alcohol is the WORST thing you could be taking.
it damages the GABA system and repeated withdrawals/neurotoxicity and kindling make anxiety get progressively worse.
therapy, exercise and staying the eff away from GABA agents all greatly helps anxiety.

I hear ya. In the end, I didn't take any alcohol finally, I've just been mulling it over. Yeah, I was a heavy drinker from 2017-early 2020, and it messed with my anxiety disorder pretty bad. Wasn't always terrible, but often enough. I got off it eventually, by God's grace and using CBD + low-THC combo. Usually, the easiest way for me to get off one substance is to substitute with something else until I'm off the problematic one. This, of course, is a double-edged sword. Anyways, whatever the case, I've probably screwed myself up pretty good. Wondering if my whole CNS is shot, and multiple receptors, etc. Par for the course, I guess, at some point it catches up with you..... so I hear.

What I get was nothing like serotonin syndrome, I know the symptoms of beginning SS from taking DXM on top of SSRIs (don't do it), mostly tension, headache, yawning. Might expand to panic as I got when dosing DXM too high (600+mg) from its NRI activity but the psychotomimetic stuff I experience from DXM ever since I was on buprenorphine is weird shit. I know they say dissociatives mimic schizophrenia but most of them (the arylcyclohexylamines) don't do that for me, they mimic more psychedelic opioids. What's weird is that I got some sort of residual symptoms (hearing whispers in white noise) which are triggered by morphine.

Yeah, DXM should potentiate opioids, some docs even prescribe it for that reason.
@Mayo_Tree What dosage of DXM did you use?

Last time I tried DXM, it was 600mg. During my addiction to it from 2019 to a few months ago, I was taking about 700mg's on average, daily. In the beginning it was more, often close to 1200mg's (give or take), but 700mg was my daily average for a good while.

I hear ya. In the end, I didn't take any alcohol finally, I've just been mulling it over. Yeah, I was a heavy drinker from 2017-early 2020, and it messed with my anxiety disorder pretty bad. Wasn't always terrible, but often enough. I got off it eventually, by God's grace and using CBD + low-THC combo. Usually, the easiest way for me to get off one substance is to substitute with something else until I'm off the problematic one. This, of course, is a double-edged sword. Anyways, whatever the case, I've probably screwed myself up pretty good. Wondering if my whole CNS is shot, and multiple receptors, etc. Par for the course, I guess, at some point it catches up with you..... so I hear.

Last time I tried DXM, it was 600mg. During my addiction to it from 2019 to a few months ago, I was taking about 700mg's on average, daily. In the beginning it was more, often close to 1200mg's (give or take), but 700mg was my daily average for a good while.
The good thing is - these issues repair themselves. The brain is a homeostasis machine - just quit messing with it / throwing it off and it WILL heal given time.

Mmh okay, then it wasn't overdosed. I never tolerated more than 600mg, usually my dose was below 200mg before all changed with the opioids, and deschloroketamine abuse - but the weird thing is that to DCK it's only tolerance, take a bit more and all is as it was, but DXM causes psychosis-like symptoms.

Need to give it another try now that I'm off morphine for a year.

@plumbus-nine I'm spontaneously trying another 600mg DXM today, and it's starting to come up. I'll intend on relating how it went here, a little later on, in a retrospect fashion. For now it's seeming to be a lot better than the other day. Today, I have eaten something, and I spaced out the doses somewhat, taking approx. 75mg's every 10-15min (5 gelcaps of 15mg's), until all 40 were ingested over a period of about an hour-and-a-half to 2hrs. Something like that.
But, I'm a special case, my system is surely all out of whack.
Feeling something at least, and it doesn't seem disastrous right now (thank God). Updates later, LW.

Update: Effects were pleasant enough. Much better than last time. It's strange, gelcaps act totally differently for me than syrup does now. But I'm a special case, my system is surely out of whack quite a bit. All things considered, I only took 20mg's of Oxy today (12pm), and amn't reporting any w\d's as of this moment (11pm). So that's cool.

Last edited: