• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸Should I Try HEROIN?⫷

Should I Try Heroin? MegaThread

overcoming_heroin_addiction_helping_others.jpg

With the recent abundance of “Should I try heroin?” or “Is trying H a good idea?” threads, we have decided it would be worth it to create a megathread discussing the topic, where all posts relating to such debate can be compiled.

If you have this question, or any question specifically about your first time trying H that falls under the category of “Should a non-heroin user suddenly decide to try H for the first time?” please post here.

For basic info about heroin itself, please refer to the Heroin Megathread. For info on IV and technique/complications, refer to the IV Megathread.

So, to start off, the basic number one question on your minds if you’re looking at this thread and debating this choice is,

Should I try heroin for the first time?

Obviously, the short and to the point answer would be… NO FUCKING WAY. Of course, we were all young/inexperienced once before we first tried heroin, so we know things are often a lot more complicated then “just say no”.

Some internal questions to ask yourself first:

- Why do you want to try heroin to begin with?

Many people, especially young people, have this glamorous and romantic image of heroin in their head. They see the idea of being a “junky” as this very chic and glorified notion. Maybe your favorite musicians all did heroin, maybe your favorite movies are about heroin, etc.

Using dope is far from glamorous. The reality of heroin addiction is brutal, grotesque, and filthy.

- What do you seek to gain from trying heroin?

Really, what is it you think this drug is going to add to your life? Or are you just bored and want to check it off your list? Here’s where being really honest with yourself is a must. After reading this whole thread, and many of the other heroin related threads on BL, you should have a pretty clear idea of just how ravaged ones life can become from heroin. What positives do you see coming from making this choice?

heroin_stamps.jpg

Justifications to try heroin:

1. I’m only going to try it once.

Famous last words. When evaluating this decision, remember that basically EVERY heroin addict in the world said this at one point in the beginning. Nobody is born with the goal of becoming a raging dope fiend. It is a progressive path and it does not happen over night.

Heroin is one of the most additive drugs, and has ruined so many lives for a reason. The honest chances of you only trying this drug once are incredibly slim to almost non-existent.

2. I will be able to control my use. I won’t get addicted.

Again, this is also something we have all said before. Believe it or not, even long-term heroin addicts sometimes use this justification to relapse. For the beginning user, you may think that because you’ve tried other drugs here and there and didn’t become wrapped up in them, that you’ll be able to control your heroin use as well. This is an incredibly dangerous notion. It is not about will power. Heroin is an incredibly powerful drug with a high so intense, that it makes you want to continue using it, even though it is destroying everything in your life.

Those of us who have been using for a very long time have come across thousands of addicts in our time. Do you want to know how many we have met that were ever able to control their use or “chip” for any real period of time? Practically none. Sure you may be able to hold it together for a few months or even a few years, but almost everybody slips up, and before you know it, you are in way too deep.

3. If I do get addicted, I’ll just stop. How hard can it be?

Stopping heroin is one of the hardest things you’ll ever do in your life. Not only is the psychological aspect incredibly intense and all consuming, but also once you develop a physical dependency, you will have withdrawals, and that is something you cannot be prepared for.

Coming off heroin is an incredibly painful and brutal experience, one that only gets worse the more times you do it. You will not be able to just shake it off. This is why the majority of people who become dependent on heroin, end up having a life long battle.

4. I don’t have regular access to it, so I can’t do it everyday, even if I wanted to.

This is a very common justification. Many beginning users considering trying heroin have come across it out of the blue or have to travel very far to get it. They think that this will force them into being casual users or never trying it again.

The truth is that after getting a taste for heroin, you will slowly start to work on getting more opportunities. Many users end up driving hours and hours from home just to score dope. Believe this, you WILL find a way to do it again, even if it is very sporadic at first, eventually you will get a source for it, and all bets will be off.

20110511-195100-g.jpg

Common first-timer questions:

- How long can I use for without getting withdrawals?

This varies from person to person. However, for the majority of people, in the beginning, it takes a good few weeks-months of using everyday before a physical dependency is developed. For some people it happens much sooner, others later.

The danger is you never know when that extra day of using is going to be too much. The more you use heroin, the more your body gets used to it. The fact of the matter is, if you use heroin everyday, or with any real regularity greater than once or twice a week, you will eventually become dependent.

Also, after you pick up your first habit, you become dependent again much faster in the future. It will eventually get to the point where even using 2 days in a row, is enough to create withdrawals.

- How fast does an overdose happen?

There is a common misconception that OD’s, especially from IV heroin, happen instantly. While this is true in a lot of instances, overdoses can happen at any point even up to an hour after using (and if one is redosing throughout a short period of time, can happen even after an hour or more).

- Do you get addicted after one use?

While you do not develop a physical dependency after one use (it takes many days in the beginning of using in a row for this to happen) a psychological addiction can start to develop very early. It is a myth that a person becomes addicted in any way after one use, but it is true that’s all it takes sometimes to start you down a path of future addiction.

***For some stories on how heroin (and other drugs) have impacted peoples lives, check out the Personal Accounts of Addiction thread. There are some very real and raw entries there on the reality of how heroin can destroy your life.

***Also check out the Case Studies thread, and realize how easily this all ends up happening.

Note: This thread was meant as a very basic guide. Obviously there is much more to say and talk about, so if you have any specific questions relating to the topic, feel free to make a post here.

Good luck, all.
Well... back in the 70s I lived with a junkie for a while. I made my decisions before I tried it. It was Mexican Brown and it made you feel “brown”. It makes you feel better than anything else as long as you don’t do too much. I never snorted it, I put it in my arm BUT I had a rule already in place. I didn’t have to decide if I was going to do some more or if I was going to stop. My rule was “three days”. That’s not too harsh. Three days will give you the whole experience BUT if you cannot make predetermined rules and stick to them then HELL NO, don’t do it.
These days I’d snort a little first because of the assholes putting fentanyl in it. Back then it was cut with quinine to make it rush through your system, that was a good thing!
Tuinals and Heroin don’t mix, that combo killed lots of people and almost killed Duane Allman before the motorcycle did. They found him laying there all blue on one side where the blood had pooled, almost dead. Thankfully they were right across the road from a hospital and they saved him but it took a few days.
I know someone in NY state whose friend shot up some of the gel from a fentanyl patch, he immediately dropped to the floor. His dad found him hours later, still alive but he landed with his leg curled under him. The circulation was cut off for so long that he lost his leg.
You’re better off hitting up some mdma or maybe you can find or get some pharmaceutical methamphetamine, Desoxyn. They prescribe it for adult ADHD, soak it about 8 hours and hit it (not all at once) what a rush!! Frankly, that was better than the H! Stay away from shooting coke though, a few months of that... casually, no 1k nights, just 1/4- 1/2 gram days and the veins in my left arm went into hiding. They are still there but they don’t pop up like they used to. That was the 80s... they are still hiding but.. I digress.
You’re risking your life with H and benzos, or H that you don’t ease into because of fentanyl etc (it’s so strong that just a little more can be too much), Tuinal and H.. I have to assume that goes for Nembutal and Seconal too if they even sell Seconal anymore, Nembutal was some good stuff for nodding out.
Good luck, it’s your life.. you live it be stupid, it’s part of life. You cannot abuse drugs without doing stupid shit.. just don’t do REALLY STUPID SHIT and you’ll probably be all right.

I am against condoning heroin use. Yes this is hard reduction. But this drug alone is very powerful, and addicting. Most people have a very short life span the second these do heroin. Who knows, you may be the exception, but is playing Russian roulette worth doing to find out? Also keep on mind, heroin is very popularly cut with fentanyl, making chances of death ridiculously high. Safe using!

I saw this on a documentary on tv, people who cut heroin with fentanyl are fucking stupid. Making an equal dosed batch to increase the weak heroin's effect is not something you can eyeball. It's a loss - lose your life situation.

Should I try heroin? IMO not, it's a boring drug compared to so many other better ones out there. I've used it for anxiety relief and for pain relief it can be helpfull. IV worked just as slow as snorting it for me so that didn't trigger my fancy. And the social companionship of addicts always got me in trouble somehow.

I saw this on a documentary on tv, people who cut heroin with fentanyl are fucking stupid. Making an equal dosed batch to increase the weak heroin's effect is not something you can eyeball. It's a loss - lose your life situation.

Should I try heroin? IMO not, it's a boring drug compared to so many other better ones out there. I've used it for anxiety relief and for pain relief it can be helpfull. IV worked just as slow as snorting it for me so that didn't trigger my fancy. And the social companionship of addicts always got me in trouble somehow.
Its fucking scary not being able to breathe or force yourself to except a tiny tiny bit mate

That post was 100% true. STAY FAR AWAY FROM OPIATES.
Ikr but unfortunately i am in possession of a 'bag' of dark brought it off a homeless junkie sometimes ill tos them some change and casually ask if they got any dark for sale i dont mind if its a little short haven't been ripped off yet, I never link it through them though well everyone knows how to link drugs so im not tryna look cool but it is a big thing to me because obviously I am pretty damn experienced with lower tier opiates but now im getting into heroin and pst shit feels big, I dont think i will ever get off opiates all i can do is take calculated breaks and keep my tolerance, usage and dosing binges seperate

How you doing these days Aeo still on the skag?

Ikr but unfortunately i am in possession of a 'bag' of dark brought it off a homeless junkie sometimes ill tos them some change and casually ask if they got any dark for sale i dont mind if its a little short haven't been ripped off yet, I never link it through them though well everyone knows how to link drugs so im not tryna look cool but it is a big thing to me because obviously I am pretty damn experienced with lower tier opiates but now im getting into heroin and pst shit feels big, I dont think i will ever get off opiates all i can do is take calculated breaks and keep my tolerance, usage and dosing binges seperate
Thats how I feel brotha. I never feel like ill get off opiates, its been 5 days since ive last used (trying to get clean..) and im having the strongest urge to use right now. It seems like ill definitely "use" in the future...just because I love it so much. I hope to god I dont... There is this medicine called Vivitrol im trying to get on that helps with cravings and pretty much "cures" opiate addiction (cant think of another word..its definitely not a cure). Its an opiate antagonist and you take an injection once a month. You can take opiates, but it wont do a single thing, since the medicine blocks the opiate receptors. All I have to do is see this counselor 3 times and ill be able to get it.

I heard vivitrol works for a lot of people and others complain about negative side effects such as depression, which they recommend antidepressants. My friend complained of low sex drive, muscle aches, etc. I personally never tried it. I used suboxone for heroin addiction, and it ended up being a drug of abuse for me. All of this is a catch 22

I heard vivitrol works for a lot of people and others complain about negative side effects such as depression, which they recommend antidepressants. My friend complained of low sex drive, muscle aches, etc. I personally never tried it. I used suboxone for heroin addiction, and it ended up being a drug of abuse for me. All of this is a catch 22
I thought about using suboxone and methadone for a little, but I heard the WDs are even worse than heroin since it lasts longer (esp. methadone). I figured id give Vivitrol at least. If I take it, there wouldn't be a single way I could take opiates, even if I wanted to. Which would be awesome.

How you doing these days Aeo still on the skag?

No, I've been off opiate addiction since I was 20, I did keep regular use of opiates to a minimum afterwards so I'd never get sick again. I'm 30years old now by the way.

Taking anything that blocks my already damaged pleasure receptors seems tad risky and scary to say the least

Should I try Fentanyl?

The street opioid landscape is rapidly changing in the U.S. See following article https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/18/health/heroin-fentanyl-deaths-baltimore.html
Heroin is disappearing and being replaced by the much more potent and profitable synthetic opioid fentanyl. Black tar is still prevalent in the western U.S. but if the current trend continues the question 'Should I try Heroin?' may become moot.

What a great post, so glad that I ready this, years later. Thanks to whomever put this together.

Seems totally shit. I've done all the other commonly known opioids, from codeine to fentanyl, but never heroine. From other people mouth it seems it's extremely addicting so not worth it at all. I can do oxycodone few times a year or any other, done so for 15 years. Only opium and PPT got me heavily addicted, and WD's are like with methadone, so I would stay away from that too. Don't know what's difference with heroine why it's so addicting, I've never IV anything so maybe thats one factor. After watching people addicted to heroin it takes any kind of interest to use it, they are total mess. Never been that kind of mess even after using almsot 3 years opium and PPT 24/7, I was functional to work and I was very best in that. So stay away from heroin, tho' they say opium is most hard to quit and wd's last from 1 to 2 months, so I can't recommend it either. Actually opioids are not to fuck with, maybe if you are over 50 year old then, I've seen some 16 year old girl buying oxycodone, crazy shit. I would never sell.
Its addicting because the majority of H users tend to IV it and as with any drug involved with a needle, theres just nothing like getting 100% of a drug in an instantaneous hit which is why they claim H to be addicting, i take morphine oxy hydros codeine, i have IV'd hydros, but the matter of it is it all has to do with the needle. Ive snorted and smoked heroin and its nothing special compared to morphine since basically thats what it turns into in the body, but to say one opiate is worse than another, i cant typically agree, as EVERY opiate has different effects and it just depends what you get hooked to, myself i just cant fucking get enough of an oxy high to me thats my D.O.C heroin i feel is demonized alittle too harshly as if you iv other opiates youll know that its one of two things, that darn needle and what you fall in love with

Its fucking scary not being able to breathe or force yourself to except a tiny tiny bit mate
Been there done that, my tolerance is so high that the only opiate to cause me resp depression anymore is 200+mg of morphine, what i did when i wasnt so accustomed to the effects before my body became tolerant was, IF this would happen i would keep myself awake and worse thing you can do is panic about it because it Is temporary, and if you genuinely feel like youll slip into a nod when youre breathing pace is THAT low, get up and have alittle coffee your high isnt gonna go anywhere and the caffeine will get you breathing abit faster ( albeit i dont drink coffee anymore, cocaine and amps are my go to stimulants, infact i have an emergency cocaine solution Nasal spray i concocted which i tend to use on non emergencies haha but just dont freak out or in my exp it just gets worse from there, take a sec to compose yourself and find smt to stimulate you.

Should I try Fentanyl?

The street opioid landscape is rapidly changing in the U.S. See following article https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/18/health/heroin-fentanyl-deaths-baltimore.html
Heroin is disappearing and being replaced by the much more potent and profitable synthetic opioid fentanyl. Black tar is still prevalent in the western U.S. but if the current trend continues the question 'Should I try Heroin?' may become moot.
word. heroin is a cut, not a drug. if you really, really push a dealer you can get heroin a few times but it always changes back to fent. if you've never used, there's no way you're being sold heroin. if someone who uses is sharing with you, they don't know or don't care. junkies fucking love fent. ask any street person for the best dope boy out working and they'll all take you to the most horribly undercut synthetic that shouldn't be handled without hazmat gloves. actually have had dealers that won't touch the dope barehanded. they say, you put it on the scale.

Last edited:
Been there done that, my tolerance is so high that the only opiate to cause me resp depression anymore is 200+mg of morphine, what i did when i wasnt so accustomed to the effects before my body became tolerant was, IF this would happen i would keep myself awake and worse thing you can do is panic about it because it Is temporary, and if you genuinely feel like youll slip into a nod when youre breathing pace is THAT low, get up and have alittle coffee your high isnt gonna go anywhere and the caffeine will get you breathing abit faster ( albeit i dont drink coffee anymore, cocaine and amps are my go to stimulants, infact i have an emergency cocaine solution Nasal spray i concocted which i tend to use on non emergencies haha but just dont freak out or in my exp it just gets worse from there, take a sec to compose yourself and find smt to stimulate you.
i did panic and i did have coffee to, splashed cold water on my face but nodding was never a danger it was choking or swallowing my tongue which is what happens when you fully stop breathing i think

i did panic and i did have coffee to, splashed cold water on my face but nodding was never a danger it was choking or swallowing my tongue which is what happens when you fully stop breathing i think
Reading stuff like this makes me semi glad im a poly drug user and always have one drug to counter another if shit hits the fan =p od on opiates? Smoke some crack, od on crack? Eat some oxy and morphine
By the way this speedball danger BULLSHIT IS BULLSHIT the only danger is if you mix and use too much of one of the substances and then the one countering wears off and the OD takes over