Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is it safe taking LSD with SSRI'S?

Jacolm trav

Greenlighter
Hi guys,

I currently take 20mg of esciprex daily but want to take lsd to experience something crazy and to hopefully have an enlightened experience. Im just worried about mixing ssri's and lsd together as I have done research and a lot of people advise not mixing the 2. The only drug( if you want to call it) that I have taken is a small bit of pot, but ive only ever smoked it 3 times. I really want to experiment with psydellics like lsd,dmt and shrooms but don't want to put myself in any danger.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Bluelight OP! Definitely a good place to come for questions and answers, or simply to shoot the shit with like-minded individuals! Definitely a lot of good and intelligent people here.
But I digress,

To my knowledge, mixing the two isn't necessarily dangerous, but the SSRI would very likely greatly reduce (if not outright cancel) most or all of the effects of LSD.

I assume by the name that esciprex is what escitalopram is called by in your country (generic=escitalopram brand name=Lexapro here in United States), and while it's definitely one of the more selective SSRIs, 20mg is a rather high dosage....so it's hard to say how much of an interaction and impact it will have, but my guess is that it would be fairly substantial.

I, myself, have plenty of experience with both substances, but never at the same time, so I can't offer anything there other than general knowledge.

I wouldn't recommend you stop your medication (at least not without first consulting with your doctor), but if you wanna trip, you'll likely need to stop your medication AT LEAST 2-4 weeks prior to dosing LSD...your SSRI (and most of them actually) tends to have a very long half life.

Also, I would strongly suggest that you get more experience with a minor hallucinogen/psychedelic like cannabis before moving onto a heavy hitter like LSD. Not at all wise to be jumping straight into such a challenging experience with nearly no psychoactive experience to speak of...your brain and body are not ready for it, and it will very likely greatly overwhelm and be a terrible or horrifying/traumatic experience (especially considering you're already afflicted with mental illness....!).
You wouldn't start flying airplanes without training or flying a simulator first, would you? You say you don't wanna put yourself in danger, and this would be doing just that. Work your way up.

Definitely try to wait at least a few years before shrooms and DMT (well, AT LEAST the DMT)....they tend to be EVEN MORE (and in the case of DMT- FAR MORE) difficult than LSD. Again, WORK. YOUR. WAY. UP. Of the three, I would suggest this order- LSD>Psilocybin>DMT.....very far spread out.

-PA

Welcome to BL!

Well first of OP, I can tell you LSD is a hundred times stronger than weed, you are definitely underestimating it and need to make your research. There's a high chance you won't be able to handle it and freak out on the comeup or dose in a bad setting, especially with a lack of experience with psychedelics.

On my side, I learned the hard way. Keep in mind that I had one year of solid experience with a variety of amphetamines and psychedelics. I underestimated it by being irresponsible, while already high as a kite on shrooms, meth and MDA and had a nightmare comeup with the first few hours of a bad trip spent with the paramedics (basically on suicide/overdose watch, on the comeup, I totally freaked out and told my friends dead seriously to kill me), the trip turned out great afterwards.

If you really want to try something trippy right of the bat, you might want to look into milder psychedelics such as salvia, DXM or MDMA and later down the road move on to Shrooms, MDA or the 2C Family (2CB, 2CI or 2CE). LSD is the ultimate experience, and should be left for experienced drug users. If you were to do LSD after only smoking pot 3 times, I would fear for your mental health. Not sure how strong DMT trips are, if a bluelighter could clear that up for him, it would be appreciated.

It's always nice to get an idea of your personal limits and what you can handle, as everyone reacts to drugs differently, especially with psychedelics - they can be pretty unpredictable. As PerpetualAnhedonic said, there's no hurry, slowly work your way up and learn to appreciate each experience for what it is.

I am sorry but I must voice my disagreement with several of your points, sir.

Besides the ambiguity in simply describing LSD, or any drug in another case, as 100 times stronger than another, there is the problem of suggesting a drug that is "trippy right of the bat" as it were, such a thing being more a matter of the manner in which the drug is consumed, LSD itself taking anywhere from twenty minutes to two hours for even threshold effects--this is from personal experience--but finally that the question referred to combination of ergot derived drugs with a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitior, which, also from personal experience, is totally safe and furthermore not interactive in such a way as to alter dosage or subjective aspects of a LSD trip.

Thank you and sorry for interrupting. I am new to this site and curious about finding the fungals (not the ergot kind) but the species indigenous to central America but diversified far north to my present United States. Thank you again.

J

Welcome to BL!

Well first of OP, I can tell you LSD is a hundred times stronger than weed, you are definitely underestimating it and need to make your research. There's a high chance you won't be able to handle it and freak out on the comeup or dose in a bad setting, especially with a lack of experience with psychedelics.

On my side, I learned the hard way. Keep in mind that I had one year of solid experience with a variety of amphetamines and psychedelics. I underestimated it by being irresponsible, while already high as a kite on shrooms, meth and MDA and had a nightmare comeup with the first few hours of a bad trip spent with the paramedics (basically on suicide/overdose watch, on the comeup, I totally freaked out and told my friends dead seriously to kill me), the trip turned out great afterwards.

If you really want to try something trippy right of the bat, you might want to look into milder psychedelics such as salvia, DXM or MDMA and later down the road move on to Shrooms, MDA or the 2C Family (2CB, 2CI or 2CE). LSD is the ultimate experience, and should be left for experienced drug users. If you were to do LSD after only smoking pot 3 times, I would fear for your mental health. Not sure how strong DMT trips are, if a bluelighter could clear that up for him, it would be appreciated.

It's always nice to get an idea of your personal limits and what you can handle, as everyone reacts to drugs differently, especially with psychedelics - they can be pretty unpredictable. As PerpetualAnhedonic said, there's no hurry, slowly work your way up and learn to appreciate each experience for what it is.

I am sorry but I must voice my disagreement with several of your points, sir.

Besides the ambiguity in simply describing LSD, or any drug in another case, as 100 times stronger than another, there is the problem of suggesting a drug that is "trippy right of the bat" as it were, such a thing being more a matter of the manner in which the drug is consumed, LSD itself taking anywhere from twenty minutes to two hours for even threshold effects--this is from personal experience--but finally that the question referred to combination of ergot derived drugs with a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitior, which, also from personal experience, is totally safe and furthermore not interactive in such a way as to alter dosage or subjective aspects of a LSD trip.

IME, SSRI's do *slightly* decrease the effects of psychedelics, but they don't cancel them out unless your SSRI also functions as a 5HT2A antagonist, like for example trazodone.

I also agree that Hapomen22's description of LSD is problematic, mostly because it ignores how the intensity of an LSD experience - as with all other drugs - very much depends on the dosage. A single blotter is unlikely to freak out an adult human being, especially if that person isn't combining it with weed or stimulants.

The main issue why people sometimes recommend shrooms over LSD is that LSD lasts significantly longer (the effects of a shroom trip will be mostly gone after 6 yours, as opposed to ~10 hours for an LSD trip); I wouldn't say LSD is necessarily more intense... more stimulating, maybe.
In a sense, 2C-B could be considered the ultimate beginner's psychedelic because it combines nice visuals with a very mild headspace and a relatively short duration; pretty much the same also applies to 2C-C and possibly 2C-D.
I am utterly baffled why Hapomen22 would list 2C-E in the same category as 2C-B (besides it having the 2C backbone), because it really is a wholly different experience - 2C-E is notorious for its intense body load and extremely intense head space, and boasts a duration similar to LSD. I would certainly not recommend that one to anyone who hasn't had several trips with "intermediate" psychedelics like shrooms or LSD yet.

I am new to this site and curious about finding the fungals (not the ergot kind) but the species indigenous to central America but diversified far north to my present United States. Thank you again.

J

Welcome to Bluelight!
However, I must begin by saying that we don't do sourcing here at Bluelight, bud- sorry. If that's really all you registered for is to score drugs from members, sorry to disappoint. It is illegal, and against the rules here. You might want to read the BLUA (Bluelight User Agreement) before posting. This site has a totally different mission, and I hope that you can someday learn and love it, as many of us here have.

Mods, you may want to edit his comment for the inappropriate solicitation- but of course, that's up to your discretion.

Although I agree that Hapo's comparison is a bit problematic, his overall message rings true.

Lastly, you mention that there is no interaction between LSD and SSRIs, but almost all literature, as well as anecdotal statements by users- claim otherwise. So unless you can provide evidence contrary to the known, available evidence (which states that SSRIs inhibit/decrease the effects of psychedelics)....then no one (myself included) is going to believe you.
Psychedelics exert their primary effects via agonism of 5ht2a- a subunit of serotonin receptors- so even if there wasn't all the literature and anecdotes, it would make sense that SSRIs (which believe it or not, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors act upon serotonin system) negate the effects of psychedelics- at least to some degree.

-PA

Last edited:
From anecdotal reports it appears to me, that it varies between the different SSRI's how much they decrease the effects of psychedelics. It probably between people too, since we are all built differently. From all the reports found through google, there's clearly some kind of interaction going on.

Obviously, people are alway getting SSRI's prescribed for a reason - that signifies that you're not really in a good place, and when you're not in a good place, it's a big risk taking psychedelics. Not that psychedelics couldn't help - of cause they can - but you're making it a lot more risky.

IME, SSRI's do *slightly* decrease the effects of psychedelics, but they don't cancel them out unless your SSRI also functions as a 5HT2A antagonist, like for example trazodone.

I also agree that Hapomen22's description of LSD is problematic, mostly because it ignores how the intensity of an LSD experience - as with all other drugs - very much depends on the dosage. A single blotter is unlikely to freak out an adult human being, especially if that person isn't combining it with weed or stimulants.

The main issue why people sometimes recommend shrooms over LSD is that LSD lasts significantly longer (the effects of a shroom trip will be mostly gone after 6 yours, as opposed to ~10 hours for an LSD trip); I wouldn't say LSD is necessarily more intense... more stimulating, maybe.
In a sense, 2C-B could be considered the ultimate beginner's psychedelic because it combines nice visuals with a very mild headspace and a relatively short duration; pretty much the same also applies to 2C-C and possibly 2C-D.
I am utterly baffled why Hapomen22 would list 2C-E in the same category as 2C-B (besides it having the 2C backbone), because it really is a wholly different experience - 2C-E is notorious for its intense body load and extremely intense head space, and boasts a duration similar to LSD. I would certainly not recommend that one to anyone who hasn't had several trips with "intermediate" psychedelics like shrooms or LSD yet.

Fair enough, thanks for clearing that up and sharing that knowledge. I never tried 2CE and never intend to and I assumed it was the same as 2CI, so sorry for the misinformation. 2CB was my first psychedelic experience and I agree it's a good entry level psychedelic for new users.

Of course intensity depends on dosage, but also on sensitivity, tolerance and body weight, I was just trying to put things into perspective for him. Smoking weed 3 times to dropping lsd seems pretty reckless and a leap into the dark to me.

As for SSRIs, it sounds all too risky and complicated to me. I had celexa prescribed to me when I was going hard on MDMA, and I didn't dare to try taking both inside a relatively close time frame. Why risk losing out on a trip because you took something that acts exactly in the opposite way on your brains neurotransmitters?

In my experience all, that is all SSRI's totally kill and wipe out the effects of LSD. Do yourself a favour and save your money and save the disappointment that will happen if you go ahead anyway.

If you are suffering from depression, LSD and shrooms might be more effective treatment than SSRI. There're quite a lot of reports including research papers for the past few years. However mixing SSRI with LSD will reduce LSD's effect a lot. If you do not mind wasting, you can slow increase the dosage until you can feel something. It's easier to do that with shrooms, since you can weigh them on a scale.

Fair enough, thanks for clearing that up and sharing that knowledge. I never tried 2CE and never intend to and I assumed it was the same as 2CI, so sorry for the misinformation. 2CB was my first psychedelic experience and I agree it's a good entry level psychedelic for new users.

The 2C's can vary pretty widely in their effects:
* 2C-B, 2C-C and 2C-D are generally considered the more forgiving ones with the shortest half-lives, making them ideal beginner psychedelics. 2C-I probably isn't too harsh either, although it lasts longer and is often considered more stimulating.
* 2C-T-2 and 2C-T-7 are said to produce the most stunning visuals with a relatively clear headspace, albeit at the cost of significant nausea, and the risk of a physically dangerous overdose.
* 2C-E, as mentioned, produces intense tactile sensations and a very intense headspace (I have taken 2C-E twice now, once at 25 and once 20 mg, and both times I barely remember anything about the normal open eye visuals because I was so blown away by the headspace), with an LSD-like duration. 2C-P is probably closest to 2C-E, except the duration is even longer.
* 2C-G is not particularly noteworthy for its intensity, but the duration truly stands out, with trips easily lasting as long as those on DOC/DOB/DOI.
* 2C-B-FLY has been reported to be more on the mellow and entactogenic side a la 2C-C or 2C-B, although the duration is similar to LSD. The elderly Shulgins loved it, although some users found it so mellow as to be almost underwhelming.

Of course intensity depends on dosage, but also on sensitivity, tolerance and body weight, I was just trying to put things into perspective for him. Smoking weed 3 times to dropping lsd seems pretty reckless and a leap into the dark to me.

Few people were lucky enough to start with 2C-B as their first psychedelic... LSD may not be an ideal beginner's psychedelic, but I would say most of the recklessness lies in people dosing too high, taking it in a suboptimal set and setting, combining it with weed and not having emergency downers on hand. If OP acknowledges that there may be risks in trying such a drug and is actively seeking info on minimizing these risks, that sounds like a more humble and rational approach than your average tripper.

As for SSRIs, it sounds all too risky and complicated to me. I had celexa prescribed to me when I was going hard on MDMA, and I didn't dare to try taking both inside a relatively close time frame. Why risk losing out on a trip because you took something that acts exactly in the opposite way on your brains neurotransmitters?

But they (i.e. LSD and SSRI's) *don't* act in exactly the opposite way. SSRI's increase serotonin levels in the synapse by blocking the serotonin transporter. LSD directly activates a specific type of serotonin receptor called 5HT2A. The "exact opposite" of a psychedelic ("5HT2A agonist") is an atypical antipsychotic ("5HT2A antagonist").
I would ascribe the mild psychedelic-dampening effects of SSRI's to a general downregulation of serotonin receptors due to higher baseline serotonin levels.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that SSRI's block the reuptake of serotonin in the synaptic gap. In doing this Tryptamines cannot be taken up, hence they are unable to produce the classic psychedelic effect.

If you are suffering from depression, LSD and shrooms might be more effective treatment than SSRI. There're quite a lot of reports including research papers for the past few years. However mixing SSRI with LSD will reduce LSD's effect a lot. If you do not mind wasting, you can slow increase the dosage until you can feel something. It's easier to do that with shrooms, since you can weigh them on a scale.

Personally I think the whole family of SSRI's are functionally less than Placebo (for mental issues) with bad side effects physically (weight gain) and mentally (dependence). The only beneficiaries are the drug companies and all the published trials are misleading.

If you have been hoodwinked into using them, perhaps you lack the confidence to enjoy psychedelics at this time - All I can say is get off them and learn about your mind and address your life. Psychedelics can be great for getting back in touch, but get rid of the SSRI junk first.

I was under the impression that SSRI's block the reuptake of serotonin in the synaptic gap. In doing this Tryptamines cannot be taken up, hence they are unable to produce the classic psychedelic effect.

That's not how it works. Reuptake transporters suck serotonin back into the pre-synaptic neuron so they can be stored and later released again. Psychedelics directly activate serotonin receptors on the post-synaptic neuron.

From anecdotal reports it appears to me, that it varies between the different SSRI's how much they decrease the effects of psychedelics. It probably between people too, since we are all built differently. From all the reports found through google, there's clearly some kind of interaction going on.

Obviously, people are alway getting SSRI's prescribed for a reason - that signifies that you're not really in a good place, and when you're not in a good place, it's a big risk taking psychedelics. Not that psychedelics couldn't help - of cause they can - but you're making it a lot more risky.

Good advice.

If you have been hoodwinked into using them, perhaps you lack the confidence to enjoy psychedelics at this time

Bullfuckingshit. Pretentious to the extreme. Damn pupnik, who the fuck are you to tell someone that because they are taking an SSRI they lack the self confidence to do psychs? Bullfuckingshit man.

The 2C's can vary pretty widely in their effects:
* 2C-B, 2C-C and 2C-D are generally considered the more forgiving ones with the shortest half-lives, making them ideal beginner psychedelics. 2C-I probably isn't too harsh either, although it lasts longer and is often considered more stimulating.
* 2C-T-2 and 2C-T-7 are said to produce the most stunning visuals with a relatively clear headspace, albeit at the cost of significant nausea, and the risk of a physically dangerous overdose.
* 2C-E, as mentioned, produces intense tactical sensations and a very intense headspace (I have taken 2C-E twice now, once at 25 and once 20 mg, and both times I barely remember anything about the normal open eye visuals because I was so blown away by the headspace), with an LSD-like duration. 2C-P is probably closest to 2C-E, except the duration is even longer.
* 2C-G is not particularly noteworthy for its intensity, but the duration truly stands out, with trips easily lasting as long as those on DOC/DOB/DOI.
* 2C-B-FLY has been reported to be more on the mellow and entactogenic side a la 2C-C or 2C-B, although the duration is similar to LSD. The elderly Shulgins loved it, although some users found it so mellow as to be almost underwhelming.

Few people were lucky enough to start with 2C-B as their first psychedelic... LSD may not be an ideal beginner's psychedelic, but I would say most of the recklessness lies in people dosing too high, taking it in a suboptimal set and setting, combining it with weed and not having emergency downers on hand. If OP acknowledges that there may be risks in trying such a drug and is actively seeking info on minimizing these risks, that sounds like a more humble and rational approach than your average tripper.

But they (i.e. LSD and SSRI's) *don't* act in exactly the opposite way. SSRI's increase serotonin levels in the synapse by blocking the serotonin transporter. LSD directly activates a specific type of serotonin receptor called 5HT2A. The "exact opposite" of a psychedelic ("5HT2A agonist") is an atypical antipsychotic ("5HT2A antagonist").
I would ascribe the mild psychedelic-dampening effects of SSRI's to a general downregulation of serotonin receptors due to higher baseline serotonin levels.

That's pretty interesting man I didn't knew there's that many 2C's subclass. And that's good to hear! 2CB gave me a nice headspace with no intense body load on a normal dose (unlike the intense body high of MDA, more trippy than MDA though). In my experience it gave me a kid-like headspace full of joy and amusement, I really enjoyed my first 2CB experience. I did my research back then and slowly stepped it up : MDMA>MDA>2CB>2CI>Shrooms>LSD. I wish more people would be aware of these HR techniques before dealing with the stronger psychedelics. The last thing you want happening is a bad trip, or even a nightmare trip from which you could potentially develop PTSD, a trip that haunts you years later is not fun at all... Tripping responsibly is so important!