• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What is a good taper to get off 25mg methadone

Look at you go Dale!!!

Day 43 and you're in fine form, It's nice to wake up and read that you had a great sleep and are ready to take on the world today.

And I couldn't relate more to your quote below, because that's EXACTLY why I too quit my long term opioid therapy. Some things just aren't worth it in life.

But some things are, like having such a good friend like you.

Here for you always Dale keep up all you're doing, it's working! And I'm so proud and truly happy for you!

Have a wonderful day Dale!!!!

Hugs,
your friend,
Ashley.

I have no regrets for quitting methadone. Everyone has to make their own choices where that's concerned, but I will say that my life is better without all the b.s. that it took to stay on it. That b.s., due to the "war" on drugs actually felt like more of a pain to me than was the pain my drug treated.

"The local minister sees that every morning, some apples on his tree are missing. He makes a sign: 'God sees everything' - The next morning, somebody writes under it: Yes, but he’s not a snitch. "

Dale

Last edited:
Day 44! I feel good today. I have energy and I don't feel any withdrawal symptoms - at all. I don't think I ever felt this good after starting withdrawals. I am anxious to get out and enjoy the day! I was sneezing a lot earlier, but that calmed down. I'm wondering if I have an allergy to something that the drugs masked? I don't think I should still be having these sneezing attacks from WD's. Feeling like I do today, I know this was all worth it. I really did not expect I would ever feel "good" (normal) again.

"Losing a wife can be very tough. Some may even say impossible.'
Dale

Yay day 44, so awesome Dale!!!!

I am so happy to hear you feel so good and back to normal, that's my wish too!!! I will get there, I'm on day 7 today and still chugging along, I will go update my thread so as not to hijack yours, lol.

You're right it really is all worth it Dale, keep doing what you do best, maintaining your positive attitude and supporting others. I am striving to model myself after you you know. You are so helpful and kind. Even when I don't have a lot of knowledge I figure I can at least share my time encouraging others.

Like I said before, a little kindness goes a long way.

You're the best Dale,
hugs,
your friend Ash.

Day 44! I feel good today. I have energy and I don't feel any withdrawal symptoms - at all. I don't think I ever felt this good after starting withdrawals. I am anxious to get out and enjoy the day! I was sneezing a lot earlier, but that calmed down. I'm wondering if I have an allergy to something that the drugs masked? I don't think I should still be having these sneezing attacks from WD's. Feeling like I do today, I know this was all worth it. I really did not expect I would ever feel "good" (normal) again.

"Losing a wife can be very tough. Some may even say impossible.'
Dale

Hi Dale,

Today is day 45 for you, wow that's so great!!!

How is your day going so far? Did you get all the work around your house finished?

How are your sneezing attacks today, maybe you could try an antihistamine just in case it is some kind of allergy?

I hope you have the BEST day Dale, because you're the best!!

I updated my thread too,
Hugs,
your friend,
Ashley.;)

Day45- Hi Ashley:
How is your day going so far?

I woke up feeling pretty good again. I think I slept 7 hours last night, but I kept waking up through the night because I drank a big bottle of gatorade about 2 hours before I went to bed (oops). I had some sneezing early this morning, but that stopped for the rest of the day (so far). Other than that, I'm doing really well. Boy am I glad to be where I am now in the WD's. I never want to do that again.

What did I do today? I work on computers, and today was a major upgrade on a notebook going from Windows XP to Windows 10 and from Office 2000 to Office 2016. That, along with moving all the old files that get stored on a computer and get them to work right with newer programs took me most of the day. I got it done though just about 30 minutes ago. I used to do this for a living, so everyone in my family looks to me to do these things. I don't mind - it's always something different and it keeps me occupied.

Maybe tomorrow I'll go back to the house maintenance - or maybe not :) There's always something this old house needs.

Thanks for checking on me!

"What do you call a sleepwalking Nun? A: A roamin' catholic"
Dale

Great news Dale, 7 hours is nothing to sneeze at!!! Get it, I'm making a stupid joke because of all the sneezing going on with these stupid WD's...Bahaha, boo right!!?? ; )

So happy you're doing well my friend! Sounds like you were busy today and got a lot accomplished, that's really great!

I like the Catholic joke, I was a private schoolgirl and I sometimes think that makes us even worse than we ought to be!!! Lol!!

Have a great night Dale. I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow and another joke!!

Your friend Ash.

Day45- Hi Ashley:

I woke up feeling pretty good again. I think I slept 7 hours last night, but I kept waking up through the night because I drank a big bottle of gatorade about 2 hours before I went to bed (oops). I had some sneezing early this morning, but that stopped for the rest of the day (so far). Other than that, I'm doing really well. Boy am I glad to be where I am now in the WD's. I never want to do that again.

What did I do today? I work on computers, and today was a major upgrade on a notebook going from Windows XP to Windows 10 and from Office 2000 to Office 2016. That, along with moving all the old files that get stored on a computer and get them to work right with newer programs took me most of the day. I got it done though just about 30 minutes ago. I used to do this for a living, so everyone in my family looks to me to do these things. I don't mind - it's always something different and it keeps me occupied.

Maybe tomorrow I'll go back to the house maintenance - or maybe not :) There's always something this old house needs.

Thanks for checking on me!

"What do you call a sleepwalking Nun? A: A roamin' catholic"
Dale

Dale - 1st time writing in, brand new to posting but I've been reading your journey since day one.
You are so inspirational and give me hope that I can somehow stop methadone myself...again. I've done it once before and now due to some major health issues, I really gotta do it. I started a post in the "i don't know where to post" area because I'm really not familiar on what to do. Plus I have other issues, most important right now is to stop drinking again, as I have stage 4 cirrhosis, its just sooo hard.
Anyway, didnt mean to go off topic.
You are truly an inspiration, God bless and I wish you the best!!

Day46-
First, I'd like to express my gratitude to EPL1 (Ashley) for posting so many positive messages to me. I appreciate every one of them. You are a such a sweetheart!

Next, welcome to Blue Light Leo11. I'm glad you've read my thread. I hope you found hope when you read it because that is why I kept on posting - so that people like you would see it is possible to get through this. I PM'd you - I hope my message helps and encourages you.

Now on to me: I had such a sneezing attack last night - went on for 20 minutes. I know of a temporary cure though. I opened the freezer door, stuck my face in there and inhaled the cold air. It works like magic to stop sneezing. Sometimes it's the simple things that help me :) .

I stayed up way too late last night (intentionally). I went to bed at midnight, then couldn't fall asleep until after 2am. I usually rise at 5am, so just like usual, 5am came and I was wide awake. I got up and got my dogs fed and let them outside to explore the back yard. I am a little tired, but I feel good - honestly good. I believe I am feeling "normal." I admit though that I had more energy while on opiates, and I miss that energy level, but I'm doing okay. I still get stuff done; just a little slower.

I've noticed that in the mornings, I yawn and stretch my arms out a lot more than when I took opiates. A good stretch gives me a good feeling inside now. Today, I'm gonna be working on another computer for someone, then working in the yard if I have time (weeds). I remember being on opiates and not wanting to do anything like this. It all seemed like just too much effort. I feel very lucky today to be able to just enjoy life.

"Simple acts of kindness can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change the ordinary into opportunities"
Dale

Thanks so much Dale, that was so nice to wake up and read today, I see the way you light up someone's day too, you are doing great things Dale.
The way you're giving of your time and compassion is just lovely. I couldn't have dreamed up a better friend.

Glad your freezer door trick is cutting down on your sneezing fits Dale. Whatever works right!!??? I too have been staying up later than usual. Netflix has been calling me. ; )

Good that you're keeping busy, I am doing just the opposite, not much of anything, trying to remain resolute. Taking it easy on myself.

How is your pain level now without your pain medication Dale? If you're still having pain what helps?

Hope you have a wonderful day Dale!

your friend,
Ash.

Day46-
First, I'd like to express my gratitude to EPL1 (Ashley) for posting so many positive messages to me. I appreciate every one of them. You are a such a sweetheart!

Next, welcome to Blue Light Leo11. I'm glad you've read my thread. I hope you found hope when you read it because that is why I kept on posting - so that people like you would see it is possible to get through this. I PM'd you - I hope my message helps and encourages you.

Now on to me: I had such a sneezing attack last night - went on for 20 minutes. I know of a temporary cure though. I opened the freezer door, stuck my face in there and inhaled the cold air. It works like magic to stop sneezing. Sometimes it's the simple things that help me :) .

I stayed up way too late last night (intentionally). I went to bed at midnight, then couldn't fall asleep until after 2am. I usually rise at 5am, so just like usual, 5am came and I was wide awake. I got up and got my dogs fed and let them outside to explore the back yard. I am a little tired, but I feel good - honestly good. I believe I am feeling "normal." I admit though that I had more energy while on opiates, and I miss that energy level, but I'm doing okay. I still get stuff done; just a little slower.

I've noticed that in the mornings, I yawn and stretch my arms out a lot more than when I took opiates. A good stretch gives me a good feeling inside now. Today, I'm gonna be working on another computer for someone, then working in the yard if I have time (weeds). I remember being on opiates and not wanting to do anything like this. It all seemed like just too much effort. I feel very lucky today to be able to just enjoy life.

"Simple acts of kindness can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change the ordinary into opportunities"
Dale

Hi and welcome Leo11,

I left you a lengthy reply to your post over on the Homeless Threads forum.

Hugs, Ashley..

Dale - 1st time writing in, brand new to posting but I've been reading your journey since day one.
You are so inspirational and give me hope that I can somehow stop methadone myself...again. I've done it once before and now due to some major health issues, I really gotta do it. I started a post in the "i don't know where to post" area because I'm really not familiar on what to do. Plus I have other issues, most important right now is to stop drinking again, as I have stage 4 cirrhosis, its just sooo hard.
Anyway, didnt mean to go off topic.
You are truly an inspiration, God bless and I wish you the best!!

Thanks for doing this thread man it will help a ton of people.

Day 47- I didn't sleep as much last night again - maybe 5 hours, but I woke up feeling ok. Maybe that's all I really needed? I've had a little sneezing, but not like in the last few days (the day is still young though :).

I've thinking about pain lately. I remember how much of it I still felt while on methadone, and I don't think it is really much worse now, if any. After taking it for so long, I think all it did was make me feel normal. I'm sure I had a big drug tolerance issue after being on them so many years. Lately, I've been thinking to myself "I am really feeling normal without drugs." What a relief that is. I hope everyone gets to feel this - it's wonderful.

Today I have a list of stuff to do. First off is Walmart (unless I want to use newspaper in the bathroom starting tomorrow) :(. Next up, put the list down and watch TV...

"What's the difference between roast beef and pea soup?"
A: "Anyone can roast beef :)"

Dale

Hello Dale,

Glad to hear you're doing well except for the sneezing, just like you I didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night, my Sciatica is killing me today and woke me at 3am, couldn't adjust without being in severe pain. Shooting pain from my hip all the way down my leg.

Have fun running all your errands, newspaper doesn't sound like a great time so get on that!! Lol!!

So happy you are feeling normal without drugs, it's what we all strive for...Keep up the good work Dale!!

Have a fantastic day,

your friend,
Ashley.

Day 48-

I slept good again last night after a hard time falling asleep. I got eight hours of sleep! I'm glad my sleeping is more regular now. I have sneezing attacks in the mornings and evenings randomly, and I felt some chills last evening, but I'm not having them today. I think these last bit of withdrawals are going to take a while to resolve. That's okay - I'm far better now than a month ago.

I feel low on energy too on and off with one day good then the next low. Anyone reading this have good ideas on how to improve that? I already take multivitamins, get exercise and I eat healthy.

"If my body was a car, I'd trade it in for a new model. Every time I cough or sneeze, my radiator leaks and my exhaust backfires"
Dale

Hello Dale!!!

So happy to hear you are sleeping so well!!! That's huge isn't it!!???

Just like you I have felt low on energy, make sure you're getting enough iron and vitamin D. I'm also incorporating smoothies into my diet. Lots of fruit, coconut oil, ground flax seed, veggie greens, high quality vanilla protein powder sweetened with Stevia and almond milk. I have found those minor changes help me to feel more energy.

Have a wonderful day my friend!!
Ash.

Day 48-

I slept good again last night after a hard time falling asleep. I got eight hours of sleep! I'm glad my sleeping is more regular now. I have sneezing attacks in the mornings and evenings randomly, and I felt some chills last evening, but I'm not having them today. I think these last bit of withdrawals are going to take a while to resolve. That's okay - I'm far better now than a month ago.

I feel low on energy too on and off with one day good then the next low. Anyone reading this have good ideas on how to improve that? I already take multivitamins, get exercise and I eat healthy.

"If my body was a car, I'd trade it in for a new model. Every time I cough or sneeze, my radiator leaks and my exhaust backfires"
Dale

Day 49-

EPL1- That's a great suggestion about the protein powder. I'm going to get some today. Thanks for suggesting that.

I had a rough start falling asleep again, but when I did, I stayed asleep for about 6 hours. I woke feeling rested though. I have to be honest, I feel more aches and pains now days than I ever remember before, but I think I'm better off than when I took methadone and didn't feel them. Why? Because now I know I need to slow down or rest instead of pushing on and risk causing health problems later. My left knee bothers me when I climb stairs now, and I wonder if it's from all the times I'd run up and down stairs for exercise while on pain meds.

Today I've only sneezed twice - and that is a new low for sneezing by this time of day. I feel a little cold again, but I am thinking that's gonna be normal for me - at least for a while longer. It's bright and sunny outside, and today is a great day to get back to my list of things I need to do - so I'm getting started with my to-do list again.

"Don't you hate it when someone answers their own questions? I do" :).
Dale

Hi Dale,

Day 49 look at you go!!!! So awesome Dale!!! Happy you woke feeling rested. Sounds like you are finding a new normal, a better one for sure! Enjoy your bright and beautiful day there in SoCal my friend!! It's an overcast day here but at least it's not raining right!!???

Don't work too hard getting your list done and when you make your smoothie let me know what you like to put in it, I love to hear different recipes other than my own.

Keep the jokes coming, have a wonderful day,
hugs,
Ash.

Day 49-

EPL1- That's a great suggestion about the protein powder. I'm going to get some today. Thanks for suggesting that.

I had a rough start falling asleep again, but when I did, I stayed asleep for about 6 hours. I woke feeling rested though. I have to be honest, I feel more aches and pains now days than I ever remember before, but I think I'm better off than when I took methadone and didn't feel them. Why? Because now I know I need to slow down or rest instead of pushing on and risk causing health problems later. My left knee bothers me when I climb stairs now, and I wonder if it's from all the times I'd run up and down stairs for exercise while on pain meds.

Today I've only sneezed twice - and that is a new low for sneezing by this time of day. I feel a little cold again, but I am thinking that's gonna be normal for me - at least for a while longer. It's bright and sunny outside, and today is a great day to get back to my list of things I need to do - so I'm getting started with my to-do list again.

"Don't you hate it when someone answers their own questions? I do" :).
Dale

Hi Ashley,

when you make your smoothie let me know what you like to put in it, I love to hear different recipes other than my own.

I like pineapple, blueberries, orange juice and vanilla ice cream (and protein powder). It may not be a true smoothie like yours, but it sure is good :) If you feel extra fancy, leave out the fruit and put peanut butter and chocolate in with the ice cream. That makes a huge peanut butter cup smoothie.

I crossed a few things of my list today. Got rid of an old recliner (the hard way) by taking it apart and making it all fit in 2 trashcans, fixed a broken clock and ran the vacuum where the old recliner was (and a few other places).

Oh and my neighbor stopped by too to ask if she could use my vacuum cleaner.
I said sure, as long as you don't take it out of my house :).

Dale