• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What is a good taper to get off 25mg methadone

the skin sensations, can u relate it to something like a high dose of Niacin?

Congrats on day 30 Dale!

I was really busy last week and just got caught up on where you're at. Sounds like the whole thermal dysregulation thing is hitting you hard right now. I always found it funny how the W/D's don't follow a more linear timeline and like to throw curve-balls at you on certain days whilst leaving you feeling fairly good on other days. It's going to be cold for us over the next 5 days or so followed by a warm up, personally I liked the slightly cooler days as kicking in the sweltering heat seemed harder. Then again I'm a husky fella so staying warm was never my problem. I'll check back in and show you how to post Youtube videos, as it's kinda therapeutic in my opinion.

Again, Well Done Sir

Hi D's- I've never taken high dose Niacin, so I don't know what that feels like. This feels a lot like a sunburn to me. Not a bad one, but enough to keep my attention. I also feel cold and am very sensitive to any changes that make it colder (like going outside). I didn't have these symptoms while I took methadone, so I have no doubt at all that they are from not taking it.

Thanks for checking in on me,
Dale

Congrats on day 30 Dale!
Thank you Jekyl Anhydrade. It feels like a milestone day. I slept good again last night and I'm feeling good this morning. I hope you are too. I hope everyone is.

"My doctor diagnosed me with anxiety and constipation: Now I'm worried shitless" :)
Dale

GreenDark- Thanks for the encouragement!
Yes, 30 long days- I am glad that part of withdrawals is in the past. I've been told that less than 1% of people that get clean from drugs are still clean after a year or two. That's scary, but it's better to know the facts. It tells me that I may never fully recover from addiction to the point of those people who never used; and that I will always need to avoid situations where drugs are available. I'm going day by day, but I do have that one year mark set as a goal and I'm sure I'll get there.

"They say that sex is the best form of exercise. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think 2 minutes and 15 seconds every 3 or 4 months is going to reduce this belly."

Dale

I've been told that less than 1% of people that get clean from drugs are still clean after a year or two.

That's a scary statistic. I can honestly say I hated everything about using during my last 6 months. The waiting around, the feeling of having nothing to wake up to, even the feeling the heroin gave me didn't excite me any more. Like many addicts, I was only using to not get sick. I had a similar experience with alcohol. In my late teens and 20's I had a drinking problem. I wouldn't drink everyday but I would drink every time I went out. Even if it was just to eat at a friends house, I would have to get as drunk as possible. Then one day, I started suffering really, really bad hangovers, then when I got drunk I'd feel sick all of the time, then I started to hate the way alcohol made me feel when drunk. Eventually just the thought of alcohol made me want to stay as far away as possible from it. And I did. I have the odd beer a few times a year and have no urges to drink more. I guess I'm hoping that's what happens to my relationship with heroin. I just hope that I won't be tempted in to using just a few times a year as I know how easily it can all go wrong.

Last edited:
GreenDark-
I hated everything about using during my last 6 months

I got mine from a doctor, but experienced the same things - like "no copay - no access", "your doctor quit and we rescheduled you - didn't you get our call", "we cancelled you - we couldn't get ins. authorization", "I know I just let you use the bathroom, but I can't give you your script without a urine sample", and at the pharmacy: "I'm sorry, I know they only give you exactly enough to last a month, but we are out of stock again - it will be in stock in 3 to 10 days, and we'll fill it then." That crap went on for years on and off. It got much worse when opiate death rates began to make the news. It got so common in the last year that I just couldn't stand it anymore and I decided I'd rather just stop. A few days after making that decision, I found this forum.

Hangovers: I've had one bad one when I was 21 years old, and it was enough to wake me up: I went to a birthday party - had fun (I think), then... total blackout... and I woke up the next day in my bed with no idea when or how I got there. Turns out a friend brought me home, but I don't remember it. That headache lasted two long days. I never drank much after that because it scared the heck out of me that I had that blackout and the hangover was so bad that I missed work the next day.

It could help you if you will remember the day you decided to stop heroin and why - and burn that into your memory. Time heals, but don't let that memory fade into "I'll just use it once." How do you feel about making a sign of why you quit and put it on your fridge or inside of your bedroom door. I do that when I want to remind myself of stuff and it helps me remember.

Well I've decided I'm going to retire and live off my savings. Not sure what I'll do the second week though...

Dale

Last edited:
Today was the best day I've had since Day 1. I felt good enough to go work in the yard several hours and do what I normal do during the day. I hope tomorrow is just as good. Strange though, today I couldn't stop yawning for hours. I'm yawning just thinking about it. I thought that came much earlier in this, but this is the first time for it for me. I still have sneezing fits but they don't bother me. One thing I've noticed is my eyes are far more sensitive to bright light than ever before. I have to squint in daylight or my eyes burn and water.

Don't worry about getting old - it usually doesn't last that long anyway:)
Dale

Last edited:
Today was the best day I've had since Day 1. I felt good enough to go work in the yard several hours and do what I normal do during the day. I hope tomorrow is just as good. Strange though, today I couldn't stop yawning for hours. I'm yawning just thinking about it. I thought that came much earlier in this, but this is the first time for it for me. I still have sneezing fits but they don't bother me. One thing I've noticed is my eyes are far more sensitive to bright light than ever before. I have to squint in daylight or my eyes burn and water.

Don't worry about getting old - it usually doesn't last that long anyway :)
Dale

Dale, I am so happy to hear that you are feeling so good:)
I think that all your yardwork pays off in more then 1 way. Doing something physically helps rewiering the brain much faster. And also your yard must start to look really good by now:)so its a win win.

keep up your good work and keep chearing your journey. I believe that you inspyer a lot of the members here on BL.
have a nice day:)

I don't feel as good this morning as yesterday, but I don't feel bad. It's been a long time since I felt "real life," so maybe this is real life with its aches and pains. I do feel cold all the time even when it's not. I slept pretty good last night again for the third time in a row. I remember clearly what it felt like to go three days and not sleep during the harder withdrawals. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.

"People say I got no willpower, but I've quit smoking lots of times"
Dale

I"m still not feeling that good. Mostly I feel cold and achy. I've been getting chills a times. Interesting that these symptoms still happen after so long. I slept 7 hours last night (very good for me but I just don't feel that rested). I suppose this is just another step towards recovery. I'm going to assume that it is and that it will get better. For those that think withdrawals last this long, well, this is not at all even close to the withdrawals in the first two weeks, so I am far better - but it does wear on me because of how long it has taken.

When you come off opiates, you need to check your blood pressure frequently. It will likely go up as mine has. It can get pretty high. I see my doctor about that today.

Don't let me get you down if you read this and feel it's just too hard (it is not too hard) - somewhere inside, my internal cheering section is pushing me (shoving me) onward - I won't fail.

"Oh my god, mega drama the other day: My dishwasher stopped working! Yup, her visa expired"
Dale

Hey Dale.

Sorry you're feeling so bad. I know you're strong enough to grind through it though. I'm going through opposite symptoms at the moment. I'm feeling quite well, emotionally and physically, but sadly the insomnia has returned. For 3 nights in a row I've only managed a couple of hours sleep each night. I've been trying to just ignore it and go about my day. I'll feel really tired so I'll go lie down, I'll lay there for 10-15 mins then, Boom, I'm wide awake. If it's not one thing it's another. ;)

It sounds like you are doing really well all things considered. Just keep in mind that you will have good and bad days but on balance you will feel better over time.

I"m still not feeling that good. Mostly I feel cold and achy. I've been getting chills a times. Interesting that these symptoms still happen after so long. I slept 7 hours last night (very good for me but I just don't feel that rested). I suppose this is just another step towards recovery. I'm going to assume that it is and that it will get better. For those that think withdrawals last this long, well, this is not at all even close to the withdrawals in the first two weeks, so I am far better - but it does wear on me because of how long it has taken.

When you come off opiates, you need to check your blood pressure frequently. It will likely go up as mine has. It can get pretty high. I see my doctor about that today.

Don't let me get you down if you read this and feel it's just too hard (it is not too hard) - somewhere inside, my internal cheering section is pushing me (shoving me) onward - I won't fail.

"Oh my god, mega drama the other day: My dishwasher stopped working! Yup, her visa expired"
Dale

Dale,Im so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. You have been doing such an amacing job quitting your meds and I can understand your frustration abt it taking such a long time to heal.

I was thinking abt how you describe your days. Seems like every other day you feel good or bad. If you feel good one day. The next you feel not so good. Almost like a pattern.
I was thinking abt something..is there a connection between you feeling good one day and do a lot of hard work and then next day not feeling so well?
i think you might push your self to hard on your good days. You are kicking a 20 year habbit. Your body needs time to heal and are might not ready for hard work yet.
may I suggest that on your next day when you feel good that you just "stop and smell the roses" as they say?
also when it comes to getting enough sleep but still dont feel rested..you might want to get a full check up. The full works.
I dont know if you have been following determindmom52 thread. But when she kicked her habbit the drs found out that she had an illness,that the symptoms had been camoflaged by the use of opiates(c?liac deseace.)

so with that in mind I just wanted to suggest that you see your dr and get a full check up just to make sure. Its easy to think that everything is due to quitting your meds when instead there is a condition that has nothing to do with that and that can easily be treated.
I have become very fond of you Dale and I am worried abt you. Please see your dr to make sure that everything is alright.
With love
moscatel

Thank you for posting your messages of support GreenDark, cj and moscatel,

I feel better today. The cold feeling I get was really bothering me this past few days. It felt like I had been put away in the freezer. I had restless leg syndrome for three hours last night (can't sleep with it), but it did calm down and I feel asleep. I read an article that moscatel sent me about PAWS (post acute withdrawals), and I think that's likely what I have. I am also still getting used to feeling aches and pains like most everyone has.
I'm an impatient guy - I want this over with. That isn't going to happen in my hurry up timeline, so I just have to let go, get through the tougher days and be glad for the good ones.

Maybe I need those bad days so that I learn to appreciate more the really good ones. I need to find my old mood ring so I get some advanced notice :)

Dale

Day 34- I slept pretty good last night. I slept the night through without waking up once - well, I did wake up once or I wouldn't be typing this :)
I feel a little cold but it's minor. I still have sneezing attacks. I wonder if that's from withdrawal after so long or maybe it's an allergy I didn't know I have? Time will tell. Even with the intense withdrawals and this dragged out P.A.W.S (post acute withdrawal syndrome), I'm glad I am doing this. I feel free of a drug that I had feared quitting for years.

The more we do, the more we can do,
Dale

Day 35- I had a tough time falling asleep, but I finally did and got about 4 hours sleep. I'll take whatever I can get.

I think I'm in a sort of holding pattern with symptoms. I have a lot of sneezing attacks and I have a hard time keeping warm. I still have a very slight sunburn sensation on my back and shoulders, but it's something I can ignore and it's far far better than it was. I have all kinds of goals I want to get done, but my body feels sluggish and my lower back bothers me (an old problem), so I get things done slower than I used to. I still get them done though.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been"
Dale

Have patience with yourself your going through something traumatic.

I tried my best to get clean. I can't handle the withdrawals. Just to let everyone know that I went clinic and I'm going to be assessed next week for a Methadone script. I phoned a crisis helpline number and they're helping me to try and get things done quicker. Otherwise it takes forever getting a script but because I'm classed as vulnerable they let me bypass the waiting list.