View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Does Autism make it hard to trip?

Star winx

Bluelighter
Gave a friend double what I had (300mcg). He barely seemed to peak. He claims to be immune. Whats the deal?

Do not suggest these things.... Such false claims can give such a bad image to a real serious mental health challenge. Any challenge can be overcome. I'm sure it depends where on the scale of the spectrum would they be able to express their trip, but honestly there are very low end parts of the spectrum that aren't the stereotypical kid absorbed into patterns who will scream and cry at their touch. Just like any mental health challenge we all have at varying degrees it is just a way to classify how one processes information. Sure that might change a trip, but I doubt it is very likely to stop one.

I'll give you an example. When I use psychedelics I stay fictional and connected to reality never once have I truly disconnected even with DMT expect the first time halfway where I didn't think about my body, but never truly detached and could pull back after going headfirst into a beautiful breakthrough I should actually attempt to draw one day. One of my best friends on the other hand on the lowest doses will fall easily into loops if not with a guide who will pull them out and while they never lose themselves well.... One time he thought his tongue was the entire universe and I didn't understand the when I asked him to close his mouth to make sure he wasn't having some crazy allergic reaction after 2 hits, an eighth of mushies, and a hit of changa sandwiched spice.... I mean that would affect anyone I know, but I mean 4 hours he was GONE. I've taken an 8 strip of legit grateful sheet I should also attempt to draw as I was never able to see it, but can totally picture it. It was a greatful skeleton hiding behind the American flag from a pig with a baton saying "Nya, Nya! You can't get me!" If anyone has a shot of that please share it.

Anyways as I said LSD affects everyone differently as does any drug and it's based on them. Mental health classifications help describe the way someone processes thought, but it doesn't necessarily classify brain chemistry and build yet to a definitive degree at least for the common understanding nor does it define someone's action or reaction...

Hope that helped

I can't edit an I'm too lazy to repost. Off that eight strip all that happened was the world became more defined. It was a night I truly analysed who I was with and asked myself do I really want to be around these people or do they want to be around me. It was quite an interesting lesson and could've been a more beautiful night if it wasn't so ugly

Is he on any meds? A lot of people on the autism spectrum are placed on antipsychotics, which can greatly suppress the effects of psychedelics. To a lesser extent, SSRI's also decrease the intensity of tripping.

Based on my own experiences, I believe many people on the autistic spectrum can greatly enjoy the psychedelic experience. The world is strange and confusing to me already - psychedelics can intensify that weirdness to the point where it either becomes absolutely hilarious, or so absurd that you come to the realization that some aspects of human behavior just don't make any sense, and it is pointless to stress yourself about getting them.

That said, psychedelics can also amplify terrifying feelings of isolation, so tread carefully.

Last edited:
I can give at least some input here.

I'm autie, Kanner's phenotype (classic autism) (and if anybody is wondering, no I don't see autism as a disorder, just a very different CPU-architecture, so to speak. I'm very pro-spectrum really, as far as my outtake goes; to the point where I'd actually be quite devastated if, if I ever have kids, and they turned out not to be autistic. I only date other auties (although aspie ladies aren't off my menu either, or Rett's girls, but ideally any kids I'll ever have will turn out classically autie too, at least, I'd like that for them, I'd hate for them to miss out)

I've tripped plenty times on plenty different things, both tryptamines, psychedelic cathinones, psychedelic phenethylamines, lysergamides, as well as cannabinoids and dissociatives.

Whilst one thing I have noticed, is that without first developing a tolerance, my innate tolerance to many non-psychedelic psychotropics seems rather high, especially to GABAa agonists such as benzos, and the Z-drugs are nearly useless to me, the only exception being zolpidem, but that tends to make me react in a weird, trance-state inducing hallucinatory/dissociative sort of way.) Can take as much as 80-100mg nitrazepam, often even more before it will certainly put me out. Similarly, I require fairly large doses of opioids. Psychostimulants i seem very sensitive to, but at the same time, they don't really seem to have much compulsive nature to them, in me personally and I do not find these drugs addictive (stimulants)

With psychedelics, I respond to regular doses as one might expect the magnitude of the effect to be within a dose range. I don't find it in any way unusual in terms of my reactions to psychedelic drugs. I enjoy tripping, at least usually, with the usual provisos of set, setting etc.

And particularly, I find that it helps, (and ESPECIALLY when a light to medium psychedelic is paired with a cannabinoid) to bring back a sort of bright, fizzing sparklyness that I associate most with being a young kid, with eyes new to the world, and to being young at heart (albeit I confess, I am rather a cynic, but that is just something that came with age and seeing a lot of the nastier, darker and seedier aspects of the world and some of its inhabitants. Shit like that is bound to pollute the light in such a child-at-heart to some degree.)

But with a cannabinoid added to a psychedelic, it all comes right back, and I find myself doing things like going out to pick blackberries and wild plums, sea-buckthorn berries, japanese wineberries and other fruit that grows wild round here, and bounce my way merrily back home, with the world tingling at the edges, all throughout my perception, all the weight that comes with age and exposure to nasty, pollutant little sources of shit and effluent of the human, or at least, human-shaped variety, all that enthusiasm I had for the world as a 5yo eagerly delving into his mycology and botany textbooks, teaching himself to read, and then all those times I would go out hiking and find mushroom species, both poisonous, edible (and often quite delicious, better than anything the shops have to offer by far) or just interesting in their own right, for the first time etc.)

Its like...when I'm getting busy in my lab (autie speshul interest, science in general, but especially chemistry and the biological sciences, pharmacology, toxicology, as well as condensed matter physics), in a way, when I trip. All that joie de vivre, that sparkling tingle to the world comes rushing back, just as if I were busy conducting a vacuum distillation, separating out the fruits of my labours from byproducts, having success with an organic synthesis or a particularly exciting bit of inorganic chem, preparing reagents for my projects, carefully setting everything up, preparing the PCl3/PCl5, ICl, sulfur halides, acid chlorides or alkyl halides etc. and feeling the blood rush through my veins and my heart pumping hard in concentration and anticipation.)

Its like that, tripping, for me. In a way. Not QUITE like stimming, but the two do have things in common.

And maybe its also worth mentioning that I had my first ever trip, when I was relatively recently in secondary school (a speshul-ed school for classic auties), after going out and picking some liberty caps (Psilocybe semilanceata), drying them in preparation, so I could sneak them into school, hidden in a mint tin, after finding out we were to be taken on a long duration excursion of a couple of weeks, in a rural guest house retreat kinda place in the middle of yorkshire. Nice area, nice scenery, and at least as far as my time there ever went at any time I went there, it was also, barring one particular teacher who I always hated anyway [she really was an arrogant, gobby, opinionated, stuckup, selfish neurotypical curebie bitch with a chip on each shoulder, and both chips located somewhere around the middle of her intestinal canal, and she deserved to be despised, doing things like (and I caught her doing this, using a can of tomato juice that had mould growing all over the surface of the contents in a thick sheet of blue-black stinking soggy fur, and, to a low-functioning kid who had some mental retardation as well as being autistic, forcing him to scrape it off and use it anyway in food that he knew we would all have to eat after. SHE didn't eat any, no, did she hell, but she didn't give a damn about those worthless retarded spackers, it isn't like we'd ever amount to anything in life anyway so why should she bother (thats snark on my part, don't think for a moment that *I* would EVER view people with MR like that. Hell no. I've dated mentally challenged women, autistic women, autistic women who were mentally challenged, and really the only question is, if I'm to date, is WHICH, or what combination the other person will be. I treat people who are MR as equals, why? because they ARE equals.)

But otherwise, the place was shithead-less as you could ask for. And during a midnight feast that we (the kids) decided to get up late after bedtime for and have ourselves a party. Unbeknownst to all, I'd dropped the mint-tin full of libs a bit short of, maybe 3/4 hours beforehand, and started tripping, for the first time. One thing I actually noticed was that over the next weeks and months, with a quite rapid onset, was that my communication skills, particularly of the nonverbal kind well nigh skyrocketed, as if the mushrooms had catalyzed some sort of developmental changes that helped bring this subset of communication abilities out of their hidey-hole and whipped them into shape, had them standing to attention and saluting ship-fucking-shape.

It was such a huge change subjectively speaking, dramatic, and the onset and the way it unfurled as it all grew on, in, and through me that even at that age, i was well aware of it happening, and was most impressed and not a little shocked, especially at the speed the nonverbal and body-language communication capacity improved and refined itself.

I would very much wonder the results of a placebo-controlled double blind clinical trial series of psiloc(yb)in in autistic subjects, and in particular, child subjects with profound autism (that is what I call it, or refer to it as, profound autism/profoundly autistic, not the vile, perjorative, narrowminded term 'severe/severely' autistic, spoken by those with the mindset of seeing autism as a disease and auties, aspies all, as people who need to be made 'normal', which is disgustingly close to autism squea...ahem..SPEAKS...sorry, my bad...typo..honest it was=D rabid curebie bitches and the repugnant faggotry they spew from their propaganda-mills. Because it IS profound, even in its 'mild' aspects, it is still a deep, rich and profound life experience, being autistic. Or at least it should be, when those who would make life difficult for us, other parties who would interfere that way, and act like shitheels who couldn't give a crap about, not even going out of their way to make thngs GOOD for us, but the ones who couldn't even give enough of a shit to refrain from making our lives more difficult, or in other ways unpleasant.

I'm classically, 'severely' in curebie-bilge, autistic. But *I* don't see it that way. Hell no. I'm proud of it. I'm comfortable with it, yes I take a few meds related to it, clonidine mostly, that helps me get away with less sensory static, and helps prevent me overloading, as well as now and then, on an as-needed basis, a benzo for sleep issues, since I've always had trouble sleeping, but no more than a couple of times a week, especially considering its likely to be 70mg+ of nitrazepam. Other than that, those particular aspects of it, as well as things like tactile sensitivities to certain textures, those I'd be glad to be rid of. But if it were to be at the price of being 'cured' and made into an NT then fuck no I wouldn't take it.

If it were just that, and otherwise changing nothing else, yeah I'd take something that just disposed of the inconveniences in a heartbeat, assuming no nasty side effects. But not at the expense of being 'cured'.

Why? because if you cure somebody autistic, if it were even possible, then you would be 'curing' a person of their soul, their spirit, their personality, everything at the core of what makes a human being a human being, and it would not be, IMO a cure, only killing the original inhabitant of the body, in order to hollow out an identical looking physical shell and install a new being in it.

Which is, if one looks at it with a certain angle, not that dissimilar to murder. The body isn't butchered, nobody gets shot. But the autistic person would be poisoned, and another being, with the memories and experiences of the autie/aspie/Rett's girl to access, read from, as if it were another computer being installed in the same housing,completely stripped down, and with all the important parts removed and replaced, with the memories and experiences loaded on a flash drive or ROM chip.

And what is near as can be to certain, is that big pharma wouldn't bother developing a cure for the 'cure'. Something to make people who were soul-murdered like that back into the autie or aspie they used to be, much less something that could turn a neurotypical autistic. Even if it were just for a short time. The best we can home for is that if there ever becomes available a genetic in-vitro test for autism, that it won't, as happened with down syndrome prenatal testing, be used to wipe us off the face of the earth (in case of Down syndrome, in many countries with regular prenatal testing used, the birth rate for live people with Down syndrome plummeted by 80 percent or even more. Why? because they were being aborted before they could ever have the chance to be born and live the lives that could have been theirs. I'd just hate to see a pogrom of that kind happen to us, too. Its a chilling thought, and a worry to many within the autie/aspie community and rightly so IMO)

Although of course there are those of the autistic community other than me, I am sure, who would use IVF to deliberately select for the autistic embryos and make sure that our kids turned out correctly.

Do tread with a light step with your autie friend, make sure to help make the environment one he is comfortable with and at home in, that he'll be happy in, and at ease. But don't get the idea that just because someone is spesh, that it means for some reason they shouldn't ever take psychedelics or other psychoactives. There is no contraindication, autism isn't like say, bipolar or schizophrenia or any form of psychosis or personality disorder. It is a profoundly different brain and psyche architecture. But think of it like say, running linux rather than windoze NT (see what I did there?=D), with autism, rather than as with personality disorders or psychoses, which are more like hardware problems that cause the software to continually BSOD.

Its an important distinction to remember to make; that autism isn't a disease, or a disorder. Its a different way of being put together, and it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with us. So become one with the flappy side of the force, and viva le spazz:)

I do hope, if your autistic friend desires to try psychedelics, that you or he, or both, manage to find something for him that will work well, so he doesn't miss out.

And once the mechanics are sorted out, in respect of getting a psychedelic that he will respond to well, good ideas would be to have available (if he likes such things of course) sensory-tactile and sensory visual toys, things like rubber covered studded or spikey rollers, combs to run back and forth over the skin, or round brushes to step on and roll back and forth underneath the feet, favourite music, things like, if desirable for the subject, plasma globes, those volcano lamp things, as well as favourite foods and drinks, plus new food and drinks as yet untried, just in case he desires some novelty and to dip his feet into new waters. )

And make it a familiar environment, one that your friend loves, and feels safe in. with the proviso of course that he can always go out and choose a change of environment if, or when-ever he so desires. And if he indicates that he wants some time alone, (and tell him these things, make them all explicit, since auties, aspies can have difficulty reading implications, or reading 'between the lines', and also that if he at any times does want time alone, then it is his for as long as he needs, but that all he needs to do is to somehow indicate his need or desire for company again, that you will be within range, and if needs be, such as in case he goes nonverbal, then have something like a string threaded through some loops, into other rooms, that move something or trip an LED light to get your attention. The means to accomplish that end is up to you two, many ways to skin that sort of cat (pets being around if he has any loved animals would be another good idea, with of course, the proviso that his pets are not themselves dangerous, such as poisonous snakes, dangerous scorpions or spiders [some people do keep that sort of pet, I have. Have had black and brown widow spiders before], giant centipedes etc. that some pets just aren't the sort of creature one wants to have curl up at the foot of the bed as you drift off to sleep=D]

On what basis?

IMO even if it is, I'd avoid locking it, at least not yet. That way other people, both people living/interacting with/sitting for people on the spectrum, or us ourselves, can take advantage of the topic.

And why do you think it a troll thread? is it that weird or unnatural or strange that someone autistic might want to trip? because if thats why, let me set you straight on that-We are just like you in some respects, and have desires, ambitions, needs, things we want to do. And if you think dropping whatever sort of psychedelic is somehow in any way something we have less interest in than others, or less potential to benefit from them than your own kind, then you should purge that idea from your head as soon as you can, because it is incorrect. Enough of us smoke green, enough of us want to take psychedelics, I don't see why it makes any difference at all as to the desire to take them itself, the differences if any are in preparations, in staging the set and setting, and perhaps spesh-specific stuff like some sensory toys such as say, that thing I mentioned about rolling a hairbrush back and forth under your feet, maybe. I know thats one I've always loved to do myself, or if I can't find anything else then even scraping the soles of my feet, and palms back and forth over the side of a bed frame:)

Auties and aspies can want to trip just as much as you do. I can tell you that much without the tiniest of doubts, because I do enjoy a good trip myself, and have benefited in several ways, sometimes very, very important and health-improving ways from psychedelic use, such as helping rid myself of PTSD with the help of AMT mixed with low-dose MXE, or the rapid nonverbal communication ability-set that seemed to sprout up like japanese knotweed on steroids after that first mushroom experience in my youth, and I AM autistic, so in that respect at least, I think I can safely say that I know what I'm talking about.

I have, after all, lived in here (I.e this body, complete with its classically autistic wetware) for over three decades, and have tripped and wanted to plenty of times. So, I know what I speak of in that respect :)

Wow chicken I see a lot of similarities between me and you, but you are definitely much more articulate than I currently am. Your description on tolerance and reaction to drugs are literally damn near on point to me.

I'm still working my way through your essay of a post (something I tend to do too when I'm really interested in something), but you are like the first person in the mother fucking world I can truly say I feel I relate to..... 26 almost 27 years for me to say that. I wants to work in the lab with you.

Ps. Please do a CWE on ergot and add it to the grapes before low temperature fermentation of wine as well as add some to a second bottle of already prepared wine... Somewhere ten years ageing is needed... Maybe it needs to ferment for ten years? The toxic alkaloids of ergot are supposed to be non-water soluble from what I understand and the process Gordon Skinner used to make his Ergot wind he gave Krystal Cole was made along those lines.... Technically it's not LSD so it's not illegal right? It would just be an ergot extract, which no one should be dumb enough to attempt working with unless they have a sterilized clean room and airtight hazmat biohazard suit and the ability to do a GC-MS analysis with the proper control data to know that their extract is not toxic.... You seem pweeetty smawrt though

There are a number of potentially dangerous generalizations going on in this thread, I reckon. I'm not sure we should be extrapolating "what autistic people want/can do" from someone's anecdotal posts.

I think someone like chicken who knows the phenotype variation classification that fall under and expresses what one with autism might be like based upon their own experience is not a far stretch from what one could consider similar traits and perspectives of autistic people.

I really don't think anyone can speak to that given that it's not possible to experience both. All anyone can really say is that they haven't had adverse reactions. Even Limpet's hard-headedness might (probably) have nothing at all to do with his autism

I've never heard of a correlation between autism and hardheadedness to psychedelics, even if there is one it's not going to be 100% and you should never operate under the assumption that someone is (going to turn out) hardheaded just because the person has autism.

Me I have PDD-NOS and I wouldn't really say that I am naturally unusually sensitive or insensitive to psychedelics. I feel like I am generally sensitive and regarding psychedelics especially emotionally with some of them that are emotionally destabilizing, but mentally the freedom gives me a sense of relief though it hasn't always and I guess I don't with highly challenging or intense trips. Still, while I am sure some things work differently for me when tripping due to autism neuro profile, I don't think psychedelics work differently for me in a fundamental way.

I can't identify with Limpet's notions about stimming or pet 'obsessions' being comparable to or associated with tripping personally although I guess I do stim and always have deep fascinations / hobbies / craft etc. Stimming is pacifying I guess because of overstimulation sensitivities, for me the chemistry / growing type obsessions instead seem to come from a place of a creative drive which also involves wanting to know deeply how things work and how one can influence them. Chemistry, philosophy, growing weird shit and tripping do share some of those same underlying tendencies for me but I consider stimming to be separate or at least I am at this point not aware of a possible connection. I may stim due to anxiety but I don't feel like the interest in the mentioned sorts of topics comes from anxiety or at least I don't feel like doing them as a result of acute anxiety.

I empathize with OCD-ers because I sometimes feel like I similarly have anxieties about how things are supposed to be (balanced, which implies fair or just - or the other way around) but they are applied differently and more removed from myself and I am usually not too bothered by it.

Am not bothered either necessarily that I'm on the spectrum, what bothers me more is the difficulties of living in a world where most people are not really on it.

I don't see why this would be a troll thread either, the question seems too sensible for that to me. Really it's not a bad question whether it is a coincidence or not that star's friend has autism and appears very insensitive to psychedelics. I also agree that when the question of a thread leads to interesting discussion it's a bit irrelevant if it was meant to troll.

I would think that being hardheaded or immune would be mostly due to naturally having an unusually small population of 5-HT2A. Don't know if there are any "disorders" or "neuro profiles" associated with low 5-HT2A populations.

And I would be interested to know how much more or less sensitive such a person is to, say, 5-MeO-DMT or another psychedelic which relies a lot on 5-HT1A. Hard to conclude anything though, IDK if it is known whether the action of 5-MeO-DMT does require enough 5-HT2A activation.

that video was fun, beautiful environment, great sitters (who seemed equally stoned as Cheyenne the autistic jedi juggernaught psychonaut).

Canada huh?

I never tried to insinuate that the brain chemistry or build from autism is what leads to hardheadedness. People on the autism spectrum deal with issues processing external information leading easily to over or under stimulation be whatever that processing issue is whether it has to do with controlling how much info is received to challenges compartmentalizing the data.

That being said it is very likely someone with autism is already desensitized to the sensation of being overwhelmed by their senses and have the tools to acknowledge what's going on and prevent it from becoming more severe. Someone not experienced with acknowledging it will react to it by creating more and more input attempting to analyze it rather than go with it of course leading to an out of control experience due to the influence of the compound. With that being said it doesn't mean that someone on the autism spectrum should be expected to react a specific way nor that they will be more prepared for the experience.

Autism is still very much being researched and has yet to truly be understood. Even as someone who's been partly diagnosed yet tests were never followed up as that was during an especially stressful time and I might only be getting back with a proper mental health specialist to analyze and diagnose if necessary I find myself being very careful what I say about the autism spectrum. The fact that people misunderstood schizophrenia is probably why it's taken so long to discover autism as adults on the spectrum likely were diagnosed with schizophrenia as they grew out of the stereotypical phase a child would have to cope with if it wasn't acknowledged properly and supported.

Hubert I get your point not everything works for everyone, but what you say doesn't make sense beyond that. I rarely come across non functional people tripping.... I mean a lot of people trip at psytrance parties some idiots at work.

The point I was making is this argument is falling into discussing nature vs nurture in the discussion of what will cause what during the trip as well as which affects more and less.

It's a really difficult discussion as I said

What makes you think most people crave drugs out of the blue due to overstimulation of the senses? I think you have some lifestyle changes to make if that is actually the case, not turn to stimming. I do think people crave drugs due to more general / other anxieties especially when they are not allowed to be expressed ... Expression as in making contact with yourself and listening/inquiring: it may seem foolish but your feelings and your body are pretty good at giving you signs of what is OK and not OK whereas you may not be realizing it rationally.

I can sometimes work up anxieties chronically and then turn away from allowing or accessing them to process. I run away into other things that keep the mind busy, but for another part cravings for drugs come into the picture.

Stimming is an unconscious and involuntary behavior I'd say... this is another reason why I don't think stimming therapy would work. If you are not stimming spontaneously I think it is less likely that you are actually suffering from overstimulation, so if you have to introduce stimming artificially you probably don't need it? And also if you are not doing it on auto-pilot it may be a form of mindfulness instead, which may work but for very different reasons.

What I find a profoundly difficult question is how to compare the difficulties / pain / suffering of one person to those of another person. Is there a good way to know by measuring causes or can you mostly measure by the response, assuming that it is proportional to the level of hardship?
In this context of stimming, one thing you really should not discount is how people learn to cope each in their individual ways. Also, unusual levels of stimming in my experience helps to establish an external sort of baseline that is reliable and in theory a safety arising from predictability of feedback. Although control does not seem to play as much of a role as in some neurotic people and/or OCD-ers, I think it is very much a key player here as it is implied in that "safety". I'm not sure if the definition of control is well established here... I am not just talking about a number of random things in life out of our control but a fundamental issue with control and a fundamental issue with relating to the world and the sense of control emerging from this. In my experience the world is adjusted to neurotypicals and I feel like I have way less control than I ought to have in this world because I am not adjusted to it and it is not to me.

My question is: how topsy-turvy is the world of a neurotypical if a person needs a device like that to have any sense of control?

[although i may sound critical i think that was a great question, taco, if it seems like criticism, to me it is just a sign of attempted analysis on my part, i guess i skipped right over the nurture and nature]

I never criticized the point I just obviously didn't get as much out of the statement as you.... I wouldn't say I have a compulsion to use drugs although let's say with opiates I feel tightness and tension then pain before finally withdrawals if they develop while cannabis is when I start feeling hyper aware again and psychedelics while an exception are one I always think about why I'm feeling compulsion to use. There's just me...

Taco, Its not so much that I might be able to speculate what autistic people might be feeling in various cases. I AM autistic, classic/kanner's variant. I've a good idea what other auties/aspies might be thinking because I've spent much of my life as a member of various forums, such as AFF (aspies for freedom, both an activism and collective hangout place for our kind (now fucked, thanks to a bitch by the name of amy nelson who happened to be the wife of the leader, gareth, he was alright, she was a crazy control freak bitch, not because she was on the spectrum, I'm pretty sure she'd have been a bitch no matter what, unless she'd been born a blind deaf-mute quadriplegic. )

And I've been a member of others and still am, so I know whats going on in people's heads and why/how such goings on..well...how and why they go on, because people post about it and say so. And of course, nearly every girlfriend I've ever had has been autistic or autie/MR, and in an intimate relationship of course partners talk to each other.

And in comparing stimming to say, when I'm in my lab...I meant its that rush of fizzing, searing intense energy rushing through the body. I can't really put it into words, its sort-of-ineffable. Not totally so, best I can describe it is as a different version of an orgasm, not so much bodily, although there is certainly a rush to it, although in the lab its continuous, that buzz of watching crystals crash out of solution, the psychic tension building up and up and up as I watch that microcapillary in the thiele tube and the thermometer with the mercury slowly, slowly rising, the entire thing, its almost like being on IV coke only better and (usually, at least, longer lasting, although of course there are exceptions such as say, Birch reductions, where its complete within seconds of adding the substrate+proton donor, or those '10 minutes in the microwave and its done' type reactions [gotta love microwave chemistry, it OWNS reactions like the knoevanagel condensation, 15-20 minutes in the MW (900W) and reaction complete, ready to freeze the product out, with only potentially a quick vacuum distillation to strip any alcoholic cosolvent if one was needed to get a thick, viscous amine base catalyst into solution to prepare its acetate salt etc.)

Or the slow drip-drip-drip into a receiver as the result of a more important vac distillation is being watched and baby-sat, and your desired fraction finally begins to come into the receiver and you feel that electric buzzing and humming throughout your body, as if you were part of a length of high-tension electric power line.

The theory is, regarding stimming, is that it is a way to modulate sensory input, of a sort, in that its a controllable mechanism for discharging excess energetic buildup, and there is a release with it. It just feels...well...right, if that makes sense, and there is a rush of a sort to it although its extremely difficult to describe it subjectively, the comparison to my lab work, its similar in that there is just that in the moment rush. Again any attempt to put it into words probably isn't going to come out unmangled; nevertheless, its there alright.

Taco-I wasn't trying to say that I'm a hard head when it comes to psychedelics. I'm not, at least as far as I know. Although admittedly I don't know all that many NT people IRL. Most of the people I associate with, and aside from a few awful mistakes I made early on in my dating life, when I fucked up big time, I've learned my lesson and now only get involved in that sense with people who are either autistic (or aspie, although I do prefer, given the choice, classically/kanner's autistic chicks). Although I've also been romantically involved with girls who had mental retardation, or a combination of some or other flavor of autism and MR, and had rewarding and loving relationships. Currently,I have a HUGE 'thing' for this girl with Rett's syndrome. She's atypical, in that she isn't retarded, she has speech (and quite a mouth on her, she is HILARIOUS when she snarks off, ripping curebies to quivering emotionally wrecked shredded heaps of twitching meat. She just has this way of it, making it funny as fuck, but right to the point, with a surgically sharp tongue, and an intellect to match my own, which is hard to find), the atypicality being because she is a mosaic, where some of her cells possess the Rett's MECP2 mutation whilst some do not, so her total MECP2 expression level is intermediate between classic Rett's syndrome and NT. Autistic as hell, very stimmy and sexy as fuck with it. Drop dead gorgeous, beautiful, intellect as sharp as as knife edge. I'd marry her and have her kids in a heartbeat :)

One of the most incredible women I've ever had the honor of knowing.

As for the idea that auties/aspies becoming desensitized to sensory overstimulation, that doesn't happen. Sometimes some of us do learn coping mechanisms for avoiding overloads in the first place by avoiding the situations that cause the sensory overwhelming, but if it happens, it happens and we are stuck with it and have to ride it out, and wait until we recover, taking refuge in an environment conducive to recovery is the best we can do without pharmacological intervention. Benzos taken on an as-needed basis can be very helpful when shellshocked, and I myself take clonidine to help suppress overloading in the first place and it works pretty well, and also get more of the same benefit from taking tizanidine, another alpha2 adrenergic autoreceptor agonist. I don't take it for overload suppression, but as a myorelaxant because of some nerve damage in one of my legs but it works in much the same way it does the same thing.

And being on chlormethiazole as an anticonvulsant probably doesn't hurt either, being a powerful sedative-hypnotic/anxiolytic of barbiturate like character.

But no, we DON'T become desensitized. It still hits us just as hard.

And as for my hardheadedness, its to GABAa agonists and to opioids, to those I've always been built like a fucking tank. sometimes 100mg nitrazepam for example won't even make me anything more than moderately relaxed

why do you think it a troll thread? is it that weird or unnatural or strange that someone autistic might want to trip?

no- autism has nothing to do with how you trip. my friend is autistic and has tripped loads.

its a bullshit suggestion (my response maybe a kneejerk)

so autistics dont react to coffee? or an orgasm? its ridiculous to suggest that someone has a spectrum disorder so therefore they will be completely different pharmacologicaly because of it. autism has less to do with this and its more related to how much the person weighs, their metabolism, their liver enzymes etc. and just random natural tolerance.

And as for 'stimming therapy', no, I don't think it'd work for NTs. Its just not natural for them. You can look at autism in its various incarnations as a different processor architecture, running a different OS. Say on a SPARC processor running SOLARIS, rather than an intel processor using 0x86 ASM for its coding, and running windows NT (hehe see what I did there =D)

And actually, as far as involuntary goes, it isn't. (Rett syndrome perhaps excluded, although I only know one girl who has it, she tells me that she can sort of control it, but that her stereotypy is a release of tension which otherwise builds up until intolerable, so physically she can delay it, up until a point, where she has to discharge the built up energy, but sooner or later it's going to happen and she's going to go all stimmy (and I daresay hot as hell with it =D), but whether its 1 second after the need becomes obvious to her, or 2, or three, or five, thats up to her). In my case, being classic autie, it is under my control, strictly speaking, I just don't make any attempt to do so, and am of the mindset that if people have issues or complaints about it that is their problem, not mine. I'm not hurting anybody by it, and anyone who has a problem with it can refer it to the my chocolate starfish department, take a squeaky sulfurous fart and sit there for all eternity waiting to be told to bugger off.

Whether I'm at home, or at a bank teller, or on a train, if I feel like it, I'm not going to suppress it and those who don't like it can suck my autistic dick and call it ice cream. People who think I'm a freak, etc.? well their issues are their problem, not mine, and they are welcome to think whatever they like about it or me. Just so long as they keep it to themselves and do not allow their issues to become mine. Thats where I draw the line, people are perfectly welcome to whatever private, personal opinion they like, just as long as those opinions are kept to themselves and neither thrown in my face, nor allowed to become the basis of hostile action. In which case I've not the slightest problem with making whoever thinks it ok to let their prejudices become an issue for me eat their words. And quite probably other bits of them for dessert. I don't START trouble, but if its given me, I'm happy enough to finish it.

Edit for pofacedhoe-spectrum disorder? no such thing. Autism isn't a disorder. If anything auties/aspies are more orderly than NTs. If anything, being NT is a disorder, for those poor buggers who have yet to evolve and are stuck without autism. Poor bastards. I feel sorry for them. I pity them, I really do. Its such a damn shame that they'll never reach the potential nature could have given them, but didn't.

And for me personally, the idea of the likes either of prenatal testing, a 'cure', or myself having been unfortunate enough to have been born NT, is about as attractive as vomiting pus from my eyesockets.

Last edited: