View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Native Americans and Psychedelics

Killbook

Bluelighter
So, I was talking to my friend last week about psychedelics and she mentioned something about how there are Native American tribes who you can visit and they do this little trip guide thing. I guess you go to them and they give you something like slavia or something and then the members (or member) of the tribe takes you on this spiritual trip and they act as your guide for your trip. They have I guess some sort of program or guide for this. It sounds really enlightening and I am kind of interested in where I can find something like this but I don't know where I can find it. Do any of you guys know where I can find something like this? Because my friend doesn't know, she heard it from a friend and I may be interested in partaking in this later in life if it's still a thing.

Aside from ayahuasca tourism for white people, I don't know of any genuine native person in their right mind and living on their land who would do this for some random outsider. You'd probably have to know them first and have a solid, trusting connection with them... usually by living near them and becoming their friend, or volunteering with their community somehow.

They don't even call these experiences "trips". You're dealing with their sacred medicine.

Lol ayahuasca tourism for white people.

Yeah you probably won't find these people on Craigslist. it'll probably take a lot of research beyond what we can generally tell you to find them. Also we don't do sourcing here

I'll echo Foreigner... it's not something they're just going to bring you in to do unless you're close with someone. There are tribes in North America who are allowed to use peyote, and some that are allowed to use mushrooms, for religious reasons. But yeah for them it's not a "trip", it's a spiritual medicine/spiritual journey.

Lol ayahuasca tourism for white people.

It's a 100% real thing, weirdly.

Really in USA? There is constitutionally protected peyote,
and supreme court said yes to ayahuasca (i believe) but not aware of legal mushroom use..but that must change! Or if Im wrong, that is awesome.

I'll echo Foreigner... it's not something they're just going to bring you in to do unless you're close with someone. There are tribes in North America who are allowed to use peyote, and some that are allowed to use mushrooms, for religious reasons. But yeah for them it's not a "trip", it's a spiritual medicine/spiritual journey.

It's a 100% real thing, weirdly.

I dunno maybe not mushrooms, for sure peyote though.

I hope this isn't too close to sourcing, but I think it's hilarious...there's a super-straightlaced ultra Christian community in Kentucky that has secured some kind dispensation from the government to use San Pedro religiously and to host paying tourists to partake. I can't imagine anything much less pleasant than tripping balls on mescaline with a bunch of Christian zealots breathing down my neck.

^yeah that sounds like a really awful experience.

I knew ayahuasca tourism was a real thing, going out of the country specifically for an ayahausca experience in some countries jungle. do they actually call it "ayahausca tourism for white people?"

I would think by very definition that the Kentucky church mentioned would not be so super straightlaced if they use san pedro. As far as I know...christianity is incorporated into most shamanic psychedelic use...at least in the Americas. The UDV church in Brazil is christian, I know catholic imagrey is in every picture Ive seen when mushrooms or morning glory is served in Mexico. Native American Church also prays to Christ...I read.

I hope this isn't too close to sourcing, but I think it's hilarious...there's a super-straightlaced ultra Christian community in Kentucky that has secured some kind dispensation from the government to use San Pedro religiously and to host paying tourists to partake. I can't imagine anything much less pleasant than tripping balls on mescaline with a bunch of Christian zealots breathing down my neck.

^yeah that sounds like a really awful experience.

I knew ayahuasca tourism was a real thing, going out of the country specifically for an ayahausca experience in some countries jungle. do they actually call it "ayahausca tourism for white people?"

This has been a profound and very contentious debate within the North American/European ayahuasca community. Yes, it is called ayahuasca tourism because that is exactly what it is. Here is an interesting article that came out after the last MAPS conference that illustrates the effects of good old supply and demand capitalism. For those of us that believe in plant medicines it is disheartening. Ayahuasca as a new "sustainable cash crop" for the insatiable neighbors to the north? If a plant's medicinal qualities are inherent to the ecosystem the plant grows in, what is lost when it is farmed in isolation and in large quantities for delivery to these ayahuasca retreats that are now a staple in the Sacred Valley? You will see "ayahuasca diet soup" listed in English on menus in Pisac. It makes me think of the "great" human idea of farming salmon. Oh, we are running out? We are killing them off? Let's farm them! Now we have "salmon" without any of the health benefits of wild salmon not to mention the toxicity of the antibiotics and the diseases from too much nitrogen in the farms; we have salmon that is forever changing the genetic qualities of wild salmon. I wonder what will happen to ayahuasca when it is farmed in chemically fertilized fields and, because demand will continue to increase, eventually hybridized to grow faster? I was just writing about tobacco and how it was changed from a ceremonial and sacred plant to an addictive substance commercially distributed with 66 additives. To me it just seems like one more possibly earnest but misguided corruptions we are inflicting on nature and a poor economy.

^^^^^

Food for thought. On the other hand, is their a need for neighbors to the north to have ayahuasca? If pure DMT and harmine is not ceremonial...the plants have to come from somewhere. Your point about tobacco is....smart and I agree. On the other hand....is it impossible for a farmer to have good intent and raise vine and chacurna to help non native people?

Perhaps the farm raised ayahuasca will not be forest medicine...but does it automatically equate to farm raised salmon and Marlboros? I dont believe it has to be...but now we have left all science behind. Not to discount the vibes factor....i do not discount it at all

Its unfortunate that it has to be that way but that's what you get when there are 8 billion+ people on this earth that want things that can't be supplied in their local area. We can't live off the land anymore, without that kind of infrastructure people will and do starve.

We need a thinning of the population by a huge amount before we can solve problems like that.

I'm not sure how to react to the above....and it is not CEP so a conversation about eugenics would be off topic. Still, when a person openly advocates for mass deaths to control the population....makes me curious to hear more from you...in another forum perhaps.

I'm not advocating mass death. All I'm saying is that if you want a system where people can live off the land and there's no industry or mass production you need a substantial decrease in population size, or at the very least population density.

I'm not saying how we should decrease the population size/density or even that we should, I'm just pointing out that large concentrated populations need infrastructure to keep them healthy.

yes yes all hail our dark lord and master. Meth for the masses. its part of my religion. its the crystal methodist church