• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

junkies are the new lepers, the diseased you get to feel righteous about persecuting

tantric

Bluelighter
my sister is, without a doubt, junkie xl. recently she fucked up and killed her bowels and had to go to the hospital to have them removed, bit by bit. they were giving her minimal pain meds because she has a history of abuse. then they took her off food entirely, vein feeding for the next two weeks. she went bugfuck, total withdrawal, begging the nurses to give her even ice to chew on (the wouldn''t, which is just stupid, but better cruel now than sued later). her doc came around for a talk and i got him aside and asked if she could be given a benzodiazepine to help with her cravings. he said, i swear, "no, benzodiazepines can only be given orally and she can't have anything by mouth" i was nonplussed. it never occurred to me that i might look stupid. i replied, "did you get your medical degree off the back of a cereal box? cause if you did, i hope you kept the receipt. son, they owe you a refund" it went downhill after that. when i asked to speak with his manager, he lost the power of speech entirely.

the persecution by the doctors may have to do with not wanting to get sued if someone dies because they snuck additional pills in or something

the persecution by society has to do with jealously I've always hypothesized. PPl are jealous that they don't get to feel high due to whatever reason they are forced to not "feel amazing" on drugs

I can relate to your frustrations and disheartening. What he said about benzos is completely incorrect wtf. Why do people think it's alright to let people with addictions suffer even more than they have to... Thinking that 'junkies' don't feel pain or feel pain differently unfortunately is pretty commonplace. I wish you all the best!

Eh, I would argue that the situation regarding drug addicts & how they're treated/portrayed in the USA (which is all I can speak to, as it's my home country) is better today than it has been in a very long time. Still bad, still unjust, don't get me wrong, but better than it was 20 years ago? Absolutely IMO. In other countries illegal drug use is looked upon as a much more extreme social taboo...

Maybe it's because junkies lie cheat and steal? I don't recall hearing about lepers doing that, or choosing to be sick.

I had a nurse anesthetist look me dead in the eye and tell me that Morphine was only administered by IV (Morphine pills do not exist). Don't be surprised by ignorance. I think we put these people up on a pedestal sometimes.

i would bet that these nurses or doctors are lying about ROAs on purpose, assuming we do not know the truth. it's hard to believe an MD or nurse anesthetist (medical occupations making well over 100,000 USD/year) are so stupid. it's simpler to believe (occam's razor) that they are lying in order to discourage our requests. a student not understanding the basics of palliative care would not make it into medical school.

i would bet that these nurses or doctors are lying about ROAs on purpose, assuming we do not know the truth. it's hard to believe an MD or nurse anesthetist (medical occupations making well over 100,000 USD/year) are so stupid. it's simpler to believe (occam's razor) that they are lying in order to discourage our requests. a student not understanding the basics of palliative care would not make it into medical school.
At the same time, people in these professions are humans too... and a lot of times DO make mistakes... plenty of stories on this site alone about it. So if you DO see them making a mistake, speak up about it. I've heard things from family, who see something they KNOW is wrong, but don't question it, cuz the doctor or whatever SHOULD know what they're actually doing, and you assume they do...

Damn, the cereal box line and manager line had me laughing! I love putting down doctors to their face when they're incompetent assholes, feels so good. Sorry you had to go through that though.

At the same time, people in these professions are humans too... and a lot of times DO make mistakes... plenty of stories on this site alone about it. So if you DO see them making a mistake, speak up about it. I've heard things from family, who see something they KNOW is wrong, but don't question it, cuz the doctor or whatever SHOULD know what they're actually doing, and you assume they do...

I agree that if a medical professional says something that is incorrect, one should definitely call them out on it. I wouldn't assume that they're ignorant or incompetent, though. It's just as likely that they're just an asshole who's trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Example: I used to go to a mechanic who would tell me each time i had my vehicle in for maintenance that "it needed an oil change." i told them i take care of my own oil. they said "oh well because we didn't see a sticker on your windshield, we thought you needed it." if they checked my oil they would have known i didn't need a change. were they incompetent mechanics or opportunistic assholes? my bet would be on asshole. that's my take on it anyway.

The medical community as a whole has a very lengthy history of substandard treatment of junkies. I personally think we should all stand united in front of the Capitol to demand acknowledgement of our basic human rights. You know, just a new civil rights movement. #JunkiesLivesMatter

Reminds me of that scene in "Requiem for a Dream" when the doctor sees his arm and removes all the syringes from the drawer

Yep, that movie was good, but fucking depressing as all hell. Realistic though.

Not for nothing but there is so much support for addicts these days, not sure how you can honestly say that we are the scourge of society.

there are rehabs everywhere, and whether you think they are mainly businesses or not, the help is there.

I am of the belief that every drug addict reaches a point where they know what they're doing is wrong, and that it is not responsible.

But they just don't give a fuck. So why should everyone else who does go to work every day where they have to deal with medical situations that are 100% avoidable by limiting drug use?

just explaining the other side here

Not for nothing but there is so much support for addicts these days, not sure how you can honestly say that we are the scourge of society.

there are rehabs everywhere, and whether you think they are mainly businesses or not, the help is there.

I am of the belief that every drug addict reaches a point where they know what they're doing is wrong, and that it is not responsible.

But they just don't give a fuck. So why should everyone else who does go to work every day where they have to deal with medical situations that are 100% avoidable by limiting drug use?

agreed its legitimate pain patients that are the ones treated like dirt. addicts have their methatdone clinics with gigantic doses of full agonist methadone for life...pain patients with crippled spinal cords: "take some advil, you fucking junkie"....can I have some methadone for my pain? "no junkie....thats just for real junkies"

..the insanity of it is enough to make me wonder how we got here

I get that, but you've gotta admit that historically, we junkies have been the scourge of society. I live in NY, and am old enough to remember when the Rockefelker laws were in place. And believe me, that shit was all about punishment, not help. And that was in effect until 1999, for fuck sake. Ppl still, as a whole, look down on junkies as the lowest form of life. I would like to tell these ppl to kindly fuck off. If heroin were legal, no one would be committing crimes to obtain it, and gangs would be out of business. It is NOT the fucking government's business to tell ppl what they can put in their bodies. Just my 2 cents.

subotai said:
every drug addict reaches a point where they know what they're doing is wrong

What exactly are they doing that is wrong?

Ppl still, as a whole, look down on junkies as the lowest form of life.

But subotai has a point about rehabs being goddamned everywhere. Having been to five for unrelated drugs, I can tell you, the opiate addicts tend to have a very strong opinion of themselves.

Opiates get romanticized worse than booze, all they way back to the opium wars. They feel that distaste from society but embrace it and write a soft acoustic guitar song about it. Even the "treatment" is ridiculous: take a different kind of opiate, then another different kind, slip up and go to the one you used to use, go back to the therapy one, repeat forever. Feel "bad" about it, write poems about the ordeal.

(But for some reason nearly all the opiate addicts at these rehabs were young and tended to form gossipy little cliques, give each other hand jobs under the table. They also liked to whine a lot in general and about being sick to avoid chores. So I have some bias against them, I admit. )

Apparently so. I can understand what you mean about the extreme romanticizing, and little junkie cliques, etc., but still: once the fact that you're a junkie is in your medical records, be prepared to be treated like shit by every medical facility except certain rehabs. Perhaps I'm biased too, cause although I quit 20 months ago, I'm still in love with heroin and always will be.