• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What is wrong with the MDMA available today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hilopsilo, no offense, but it is repeatedly clear that you have not read the whole thread, followed the links etc. If you had read the whole thread, the questions you are asking would already be answered. I can't even tell if you are reading the replies that people are writing to you.

As G_Chem said, lab tested means that an actual lab did GCMS analysis of the product. Here in America, it is ecstasydata.org that people send their product to.

At work but I find it interesting that both Hilo and myself live in the northern part of the country and obviously we're doing ok up here, whereas people farther south are having trouble. Canadian product must get eaten up before it makes it down that way. Indigo your from the south ain't ya?

We should have LeJunk put a disclaimer in the first post telling people what pages important information is presented, that may help others better sift through the pages upon pages of debate.

Also Hilo PM me if ya can man, I've got an unrelated question for you and can't seem to send out messages (at least on my current platform.). Thanks.

-GC

I?ve definitely had the white crystalline powder the OP is referring to.. most of the best nights of my life were on that powder.

The red supremes he is talking about however.. I bought 10 pills back in December so same batch.. the first time my wife and I took them was in December.. we had a wonderful night.. we were all loved up on each other and made love just like you would expect from a nostalgic MDMA experience.. just like in the 90?s which is when I started rolling.

The second time I tried one I spent half the night puking my guts out and had no empathy or any of the stuff I love about mdma.. these experiences were 2 months apart..so tolerance was definitely not the issue.

I think as we get older what we have in our bodies the days and even weeks leading up to the experience matter ALOT more than it did 30 years ago.. I also think 200+mg per pill is too much in general.. no matter which pre cursor you use to get to the final product.

The white crystalline powder mdma is definitely a special product.. I have never had a bad experience on it.. and it has never left me feeling like shit the day after. I haven?t had it in 15 years though so who knows if it?s possible for me to have a bad experience on it now.. I will probably never know.

That's actually a good point. It's totally possible that potential by-products can have varying degrees of effect depending on the current state of the user's body, ala food intake, nutrient deficiencies, supplements, sleep, genetics, etc.

That's actually a good point. It's totally possible that potential by-products can have varying degrees of effect depending on the current state of the user's body, ala food intake, nutrient deficiencies, supplements, sleep, genetics, etc.

Seems more likely that there may be varying degrees of by-product in the product if the manufacturing process was questionable. Although body chemistry certainly varies significantly from person to person, I don't know if it changes that significantly in the same person from day to day. At least, not so much that entirely different responses to the same stimulus would occur.

At work but I find it interesting that both Hilo and myself live in the northern part of the country and obviously we're doing ok up here, whereas people farther south are having trouble. Canadian product must get eaten up before it makes it down that way. Indigo your from the south ain't ya?

We should have LeJunk put a disclaimer in the first post telling people what pages important information is presented, that may help others better sift through the pages upon pages of debate.

Also Hilo PM me if ya can man, I've got an unrelated question for you and can't seem to send out messages (at least on my current platform.). Thanks.

-GC

And that is the only point I'm trying to make here, to say that the only good MDMA came from the 90's is complete and utter arrogant bullshit. It's basically MDMA gatekeeping (check out r/gatekeeping if you don't know what I mean).

Maybe you're all way past that, cause I believe it is 100% fact that there is plenty of good MDMA (as you allude to G_Chem), just as good as the "old stuff", why some of it sucks, I don't know.

I've pretty much read the whole thread at this point, had to take it in small bits cause some of it was so painful to read lol (since i haven't found good mdma since the90's, it's just all different now, it must all be bad. See? Look, this guy said he felt "mongy" too! proof."). Last but not least, mongy isn't even a real word!! I don't think those other people "got schooled", I think they just gave up trying to convince anyone otherwise since a lot of people in the discussion had their mind made up that nothing today could stand up to their superior MDMA and superior raving days.

I understand that the aniseed smell is technically an "impurity", but I was also reading, not sure if it was this thread or not, but that the chemical is so strong that even trace amount will produce a strong smell. I imagine "medical grade" MDMA has no smell, but in the world of illicit substances, the stinky MDMA is the best. Now, I have gotten a variety of fake MDMA that has had interesting sort of similar
smells, like a weird spice or perfume, but it isn't that same smell. The smell being off is just as obvious as the effects being totally off.

I'll send a PM!

And I'll check out the posts that LE_Junk thinks are important, although I'm skeptical considerings he's the leader of the all-mdma-is-mongy-these-kids-don't-know sentiment.

And that is the only point I'm trying to make here, to say that the only good MDMA came from the 90's is complete and utter arrogant bullshit. It's basically MDMA gatekeeping (check out r/gatekeeping if you don't know what I mean).

I don't think G_Chem or indigo have said that once, Hilopsilo.

I don't think G_Chem or indigo have said that once, Hilopsilo.

Yes, I was agreeing with G_Chem. But a lot of previous posters have expressed this, but maybe we have moved past that.

I 100% agree with this, not even just byproducts, but mind altering substances in general. FWIW, personally, the energy I have when I roll is highly dependent on how well rested and healthy I am. I have much better experiences with drugs (and life in general) when I am exercising, happy with my life, eating well and get enough damn sleep lol.

I posted in here earlier about an experience when I took MDMA after a grueling 2-3 weeks of studying for finals (stress, lack of sleep, lack of good nutrition, etc.) and I think I sat down for 90% of the roll lol.

And that is the only point I'm trying to make here, to say that the only good MDMA came from the 90's is complete and utter arrogant bullshit.

If you think this has been the point, then you are still missing the point.

I don't recall ever getting that impression from this thread.

That has never been my point.

The discussion of previous eras of MDMA has been in an attempt to understand when manufacturing methods changed, in an attempt to understand what is happening with SOME of today's product.

And, you focusing on Le Junk shows how much you have skimmed. He has consistently vocalized that he continues to have access to quality product. He is the one that has said that quality product is still out there!

I am not sure what offends you so much. You have consistent access to quality product. Count yourself lucky. Your experience is not everyone's experience. Why is it offensive to you that other people are having a different experience than you? If you don't like the thread, then move on. No big deal.

To insist that everyone out there must be having the same experience as you is exactly what you are accusing other people of doing.

And no offense, but we are seasoned drug users. We are familiar with how rest, nutrition, full-stomach, stress, depression etc. impact our drug experiences. We have all had experiences like your finals night. We have had many of them. We know what that is like. This is something different than that.

If you think this has been the point, then you are still missing the point.

I don't recall ever getting that impression from this thread.

That has never been my point.

The discussion of previous eras of MDMA has been in an attempt to understand when manufacturing methods changed, in an attempt to understand what is happening with SOME of today's product.

And, you focusing on Le Junk shows how much you have skimmed. He has consistently vocalized that he continues to have access to quality product. He is the one that has said that quality product is still out there!

I am not sure what offends you so much. You have consistent access to quality product. Count yourself lucky. Your experience is not everyone's experience. Why is it offensive to you that other people are having a different experience than you? If you don't like the thread, then move on. No big deal.

To insist that everyone out there must be having the same experience as you is exactly what you are accusing other people of doing.

And no offense, but we are seasoned drug users. We are familiar with how rest, nutrition, full-stomach, stress, depression etc. impact our drug experiences. We have all had experiences like your finals night. We have had many of them. We know what that is like. This is something different than that.

Nothing offends me here, you're right, the recent conversation has certainly evolved from how it initially was, my apologies. I think I found the handful of useful more recent pages I had missed.

Last edited:
Hi Hilopsilo,

The simple answer is: we don't know. :)

I think the top contenders thus far (not in order) are enantiomer ratio, impurities (both active and inactive), & polymorphs. This thread goes into it too: http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/837314-Factors-That-Make-Each-MDMA-Batch-and-Experience-Unique

Also, someone posted a list of all the compounds that are close enough to MDMA to possibly seem like MDMA to a lab, without actually being MDMA. I would have to dig to find the post.

I think one of the ideas that has the most weight is the idea that impurities in the precursor are getting carried into the final product and disrupting the absorption/effect somehow.

Edited to add: I would like to see a plan developed to get these issues explored through a more advanced laboratory so that we have concrete information to work with.

Ok, on a non-argumentative note, can anyone confirm that MDMA that has been made from PMK does or does not have the same strong aniseed smell as stuff made from safrole? In all my experience with MDMA, the one thing that holds true for me is that the aniseed smelling crystals are 100% of the time very potent and effective, I've never come across supposed MDMA that had "the smell" that was weak or bunk. Not that it would be impossible to somehow fake that smell, but it does seem to hold true.

I've actually got a collection of bunk/ground score "molly" I've found over the years, probably have at least 20 different samples lol. It comes in all textures, smells, sizes and colors. A lot of it comes up completely inconclusive with a reagent test kit, don't know what it is, but keep it for the science I guess.

I think maybe you need to write a thesis about all this stuff.

I forgot about how the old "X" hit me, so your old posts were nice reminder. That is actually a defining feature of the stuff I took in the late 80s. I don't remember how long it took to hit me, but it must have been fairly short because the group would take it and then stare at each other asking who felt it first. We didn't walk around and have a drink and forget we had taken it. And then when it started, it was almost too much to take. I'd have to curl up in a ball with every muscle tight, holding somebody's hand while they swore I would be ok. And then poof! like a fart, my entire body would relax and love absolutely everything it came in contact with.
It was seriously an intense transition. And I always got what felt like a very real crush on someone I had hung out with on the drug. And the crush lasted for weeks. So I was in full support of therapists using it for couples. I can imagine it keeping a couple together for years (perhaps that is artificial and drug-dependent, but at least you are loving the one your with instating of yelling at them for stupid shit)

You've described exactly how I felt when I took mdma for the first time in 1993 - some Doves from the previous year that had been lying around (the owner had them but didn't take them) I took them twice, the first time was exactly as you described. The second time, same Dove, good but I never again got that "wow, I suddenly love everyone!" feeling - like an intense rush - I still remember that vividly, the rest is mostly a blur. I'm not even at the end of this thread but a lot of what's been discussed seems to rely on all the clandestine labs adopting the same synthesis at roughly the same time? This makes no sense, they can't all be connected in some way. Some yes, but very few. If it were the case then one lab bust would bring down most of the criminal network in one fell swoop. There are numerous reports of labs being busted in Holland yet the market has never been disrupted. Setting up an illegal laboratory and finding the right chemist - more importantly, a chemist willing to actually do it - it's all completely random. Therefore, mdma, from the day it was synthesised to present day is a random process - batches and effects will vary wildly depending on which route a chemist has chosen. They can't all be synchronised.

The more I read this thread I still can't fathom the "It's lost its magic" argument - I don't think it's the drug that's changed, it's the person. Having experimented on occasion for over 25 years (years of heavy use, years of very light use, many years of no use, etc) it is my understanding of the drug that has changed, grown even, over the years. I can only say that the only way you will find that lost magic is to stop looking for it - accept that as you get older many of the doors it opened before close, one by one, each time you take it. It's not the drug that's changed, it's the user.

I think Shulgin was right (someone else posted this earlier) that you only really get that pure mdma experience 10 times in your life. From my experience I think someone would have to space it out around 6-7 years to come close to feeling that magic each time. I'm not convinced that 3 months is enough, it may be safe but you won't get the intensity. I remember taking a 4-5 year break and that first pill I took after all those years was pure unadulterated bliss (the original tiny white dominoes) The empathy and love was strong - but not after... strong, pleasant, of course - but you really need to completely forget the experience to get the most out of it the next time around.

(I'm not saying I'm right here, it's just my own experience)

Last edited:
Hi Hilopsilo,

I can confirm that this product: https://www.ecstasydata.org/view.php?id=2644 is NOT derived from safrole and has no odor. This is the product I have had access to that does not provide the expected MDMA experience.

I personally have seen, smelled, and used this product and I sent it to the lab as well.

Wow, yeah 150mg should be plenty even if a small bit of it is precursor. Has anyone else sent in stuff that tested as straight MDMA but wasn't a good experience?

So since you took that batch, have you taken any others with any more success? How long before that was the last time you had a proper experience? Was that good experience with the smelly safrole kind?

I saw you mentioned you were getting some from DW, if so, might be worth trying to get some made from safrole specifically. I don't bother with the DW anymore, but I remember there being Canadian vendors. I think the next step is finding MDMA that *does* produce for you the expected experience to compare the stuff that doesn't with

And then when it started, it was almost too much to take. I'd have to curl up in a ball with every muscle tight, holding somebody's hand while they swore I would be ok. And then poof! like a fart, my entire body would relax and love absolutely everything it came in contact with.
It was seriously an intense transition.

Wow that is exactly how my come up is every time, at least you know its good when that happens. No matter how much I prepare myself, it catches me off guard.

Last edited:
Alright Hilo I'll respond more tonight but quickly...

Yes safrole MDMA has that characteristic "aniseed" smell whereas the Dutch product does not.

The "Dutch Bangers" are pressed with a press powered by the full force of a Sherman tank, I think? That's why they don't break, they snap.
Soft crumbly pills tend to stink, hard press (much) less so. I remember some mdma crystals from a couple of years back that stank so much of aniseed it made you want to throw up. It was either German or Dutch, at a random guess.

Hi Hilopsilo,

Yes, other people have sent in stuff that was not a good experience that showed up as MDMA. I cannot recall who it was, and as you know, it is a long thread to dig through!

I had access to good product from 2000 to 2005. Then, there were changes in my area and the seller retired. During that period, I always had pills that smelled of safrole. As you mentioned, yes, there were variations in the experience, but it was clearly always MDMA. There were varying levels of intensity depending on the pills strength, but it was very reliable.

2005 was a long time ago, and I do not recall how long the break was between the pills and this second product. I know it took me quite a while to find another seller. But, from that point forward I accessed the powder that I linked above. I have never had the same type of experience with that powder. I have had pleasant experiences, but it is like a different drug. Other friends agree.

I can tell you that in the past decade, I have 6 month to 1 year breaks between experiences.

Also, yes, I have had very brief access to other products that smelled right that were better.

The product I ordered from the DW specifically said it was derived from safrole, that is why I chose it. It smells right, but I have not tried it yet.

Most of the Canadian products look good, but they only ship to Canada unfortunately.

I will definitely update people when I try this DW product.

Montel: there are reports of multiple brand-new users consuming the questionable product and reporting no empathy and no eye dilation. It is not a tolerance issue. Especially when some of the long-time users have tried both products and observe a quantifiable, distinct difference in the two products. If you can have a traditional roll off one product, and you don't roll off another product then it is a product issue and not a user issue. The question is why laboratories and regeant tests cannot tell the difference currently.

Hi Hilopsilo,

Yes, other people have sent in stuff that was not a good experience that showed up as MDMA. I cannot recall who it was, and as you know, it is a long thread to dig through!

I had access to good product from 2000 to 2005. Then, there were changes in my area and the seller retired. During that period, I always had pills that smelled of safrole. As you mentioned, yes, there were variations in the experience, but it was clearly always MDMA. There were varying levels of intensity depending on the pills strength, but it was very reliable.

2005 was a long time ago, and I do not recall how long the break was between the pills and this second product. I know it took me quite a while to find another seller. But, from that point forward I accessed the powder that I linked above. I have never had the same type of experience with that powder. I have had pleasant experiences, but it is like a different drug. Other friends agree.

I can tell you that in the past decade, I have 6 month to 1 year breaks between experiences.

Also, yes, I have had very brief access to other products that smelled right that were better.

The product I ordered from the DW specifically said it was derived from safrole, that is why I chose it. It smells right, but I have not tried it yet.

Most of the Canadian products look good, but they only ship to Canada unfortunately.

I will definitely update people when I try this DW product.

Montel: there are reports of multiple brand-new users consuming the questionable product and reporting no empathy and no eye dilation. It is not a tolerance issue. Especially when some of the long-time users have tried both products and observe a quantifiable, distinct difference in the two products. If you can have a traditional roll off one product, and you don't roll off another product then it is a product issue and not a user issue. The question is why laboratories and regeant tests cannot tell the difference currently.

I wish ya goodluck. Cause I think the only way to get consistency here is for someone to have access to both "types" and to compare them subjectively. And once the difference in subjective effects between two accessible batches in pinned down, lab tests could shed more light maybe.

While I certainly don't agree with Montel, I don't think new users are a reliable source of anecdotes here. New users coming here and saying they got no empathy or euphoria only makes me only think impurity. Outside of this thread, this section of the forum is damn warzone lol, everyday I see new posts from new users who just took like an entire gram of some random powder they were told was MDMA and have now fucked themselves up. I think its safe to say that one is much more likely to come post on this forum if you have questions/issues with your mdma experience than if you have access to good product and all is well. Anecdotes are difficult to work with considering MDMA is one of the more notoriously impure/adulterated drugs with the most misinformation surrounding it.

In the UK by any chance? I remember those dark piperazine/bzp days and some batches of mdma that did absolutely nothing but tested positive for mdma (marquis) I can confirm first hand that I tested at least two or three batches and witnessed this myself. Good mdma tested inky purple then black. This stuff went straight to black and fizzed (at the time people would post on pillreports that this fizzing was a sign of "pure mdma" - utter nonsense. I tested it, I took it. It did nothing except keep you awake for ages feeling uncomfortable - hot/cold sweats were typical) I stress again the mdma did absolutely nothing, it was junk.

I guess it's called trying to make some easy money - I had to supply my dealer with a test kit, but I don't think he really cared as long as he could sell it. He sure as hell wasn't giving refunds. All connected to the same people who introduced piperazine pills on the market. Remember the pink star shaped pills - that did nothing? VW's, Mitsubishis, Hearts, etc. The majority of them could be easily identified with a quick test, but there were also some pills (the white hearts spring to mind) that passed the marquis test and, again, did nothing. - Ironically the last decent pills I remember in the Uk that absolutely stank of safrole were green hearts from the same pressers a few months before the drought kicked in - fantastic pills, in every sense - you really could smell the safrole from distance.

I always find it strange that SE England is considered the wealthiest area of the UK, yet the quality of street drugs was nothing short of horrendous. I don't just mean pills - skunk, hashish, just about all of it (I mean specifically the stuff sold in bulk) was nothing short of poison. I always joked at the time that if the suppliers could remove the bit that kills you then they'd happily sell rat poison. Likewise, the criteria for skunk seemed to be "Is it green?" "Yes" "Okay, that will do."

Sure, there was some decent stuff around somewhere (of course) but it really was few and far between - I'd say 90% of it was plain toxic. I left the UK in 2008 before things returned to some sense of normality. This experience is from 1993 - 2008. Pills enjoyed the best run, throughout the 1990s and early 2000s. They were great until piperazines flooded the market. I've often theorised about why it happened but I keep coming back to the same conclusion - pills dropped so far down in price it wasn't worth the risk. Before the drought I was getting good beans for as little as a couple of quid. When the prices hit rock bottom things changed because I'm guessing the risks didn't outweigh the reward anymore for those producing mdma in large quantities. Again though, this is very specific to SE London. Holland was largely unaffected at the time (although actual consumption clearly dropped significantly) which completely disproves the bizarre "China's hosting the Olympics and they're clamping down on chemical exports" (wtf?!) false-rumours that were being spread around at that time - to try and increase the sale of this fake mdma.

"Man you had some crappy dealers!" - Indeed, and I can assure you they were everywhere. I've lost count of how many I must have met in that timeframe, but certainly between 50-100 over a 15 year period. The problem is that, like I said, many of them just didn't care - and, perhaps more tragically, a lot of people didn't notice. I remember one night doing a house move with my other half and I suggested we drop some pills (bzp/pipes) We knew full well they were bunk as I'd tested them - by around midnight we'd both completely forgotten we'd even taken anything. What's really interesting (yet thoroughly sad) is that at the start of the evening I'd visited a dealer and his girlfriend was on the sofa claiming she was high as a kite from the very same pills I'd tested as bzp/pipes earlier. They did nothing (at all) yet she was there thinking she was rolling on mdma. Bonkers. Utterly bonkers. But she believed it, hook, line and sinker.

My rather long and tedious point is that some chemists have absolutely no interest in purity whatsoever. It's all about finding the cheapest chemicals to maximise profits - if they could find something that would fool you, then it's fair game. Thankfully the DNM have changed all this - but I hope it gives people an idea of just how bad things got. Good mdma that positively reeks of safrole is definitely out there, but the 'magic' - that's something you'll only come close to feeling again if you take a break for a few years. I could be wrong but that's how it feels for me. I should add that even today, there's a lot of mediocre mdma about. It's good but the real dynamite stuff is still quite rare and boils down to pot luck. Out of 15 batches, I'd say 2-3 were high calibre, the rest was okay but nothing special.

I'd also really like to know how they fooled the test kit back in the day. I can't say I've researched the matter but it's something that's still mystified me after all these years - and I really need to finish reading this thread! (I'm about halfway through, i think?!)

Last edited:
Just to clarify, the new users were in the presence of Glubrahnum, an experienced user. He stated that 4 people took MDMA and had no eye dilation. Here is what he said:

Recently, I observed the effects of various oral doses of brownish "Dutch MDMA Crystals" in 4 different VIRGIN subjects (30 - 60 year old) in a house-party social setting.

By "VIRGIN", I mean people that have never used MDMA before in their life nor any amphetamines, cocaine nor any anti-depressants nor RC.
The crystalline powder was determined to contain MDxx by an immunoassay testkit, after 10^-6 mass dilution in distilled water.
The immunoassay testkit is highly specific to MDMA, MDA and MDEA but it does not allow the differentiation between these 3 compounds.

The 4 oral doses were 100mg, 100mg, 130mg and 150mg.
The onset of effects happened within 30min of ingestion and was characterized by visible sleepiness, in all four cases.
15min into the onset, the sleepiness suddenly receded and remaining effects lasted for 3-4h.
No PUPIL DILATION ( mydriasis ) was observed for 4 hours in any of the subjects !!!
A slight lockjaw ( trismus ) was observed IN ONLY ONE subject (a 38y, 85kg male and the 150mg dose).

He also commented that no one reported empathy.

And, I agree. We need to have two samples. One sample of "good" MDMA and one sample of "bad" MDMA. Ideally, multiple users would confirm the same effects through double blind dosing. Then a lab would need to break down all of the differences between the two samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.