• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc 10 weeks off short term use of Gabapentin

What would you recommend as being an ideal dose of the natural calm magnesium to help combat this?

For example, should I take 100% of the recommended daily intake or go higher, like 150%, 200%, 300%?

They're definitely not the same.

The B12 isn't like taking some psychotropic medicine to treat anxiety where your brain doesn't actually learn to adapt and deal with the issue. It's more of a tool that strengthens your brain to learn and adapt.

I've had Nature Bounty's B12 and it sucked. The best B12 supplement I've had is Country Life Superior B12.

Definitely give the Magnesium a go. When I dealt with B12 deficiency due to Candida fungus, Magnesium was one of the things that helped me keep my sanity until I figured that it's B12 that my body is missing.

Are there variations of magnesium that are better, such as magnesium oxide, magnesium chloride, and magnesium gytinate? Based on some little research I just did, it appears oxide is the crappiest one and chloride would yield the best results. Just to note, nature bounty's magnesium is oxide lol.

Start at 100% recommended value, but keep some Loperamide handy as it can get give you diarrhea.

I think, iirc, they recommend one tea spoon to begin with, with the intention of working your way up to 4 tea spoons. I'd take 2 tea spoons because of your situation and use the anti-diarrheal as needed for the first couple of days of your body getting used to it.

I'm not sure if it was tea or table spoons they recommend, read the label.

Report back as to whether it helps at all. I'll be thrilled if it helps you like some of the people I read about.

I would be thrilled too.

I'm going to go there tomorrow to get it and the Vitamin B12.

I don't have any loperamide but I have some Tylenol with Codeine.

Thanks for all your help bro.

Are there variations of magnesium that are better, such as magnesium oxide, magnesium chloride, and magnesium gytinate? Based on some little research I just did, it appears oxide is the crappiest one and chloride would yield the best results. Just to note, nature bounty's magnesium is oxide lol.

If oxide is best according to your research, go for it.

Natural Calm has the ionic magnesium citrate, according to them it's "created from a highly absorbable proprietary blend of citric acid and magnesium carbonate."

I'd recommend going with NC since it worked well for me, but what's the worst that happen? If oxide doesn't work get the NC.

EDIT: You're welcome, man. I sincerely hope you a swift recovery.

I use a magnesium supplement called remag as it has 100% bioavailability. Its pretty good. Magnesium citrate is probably the best kind besides that. Oxide is crap. It should run you around 30 bucks for a couple months supply.

So I took the magnesium oxide last night (at 300% daily recommended value because I'm an idiot) and today I feel kind of okay. I don't really have any heart palps nor any nerve pain. They have been largely suppressed this week so this could be purely coincidental. I did have some continued symptoms such as some tingling on the right side of my body, some shakiness, and some anxiety when I went to bed last night. But right now I feel okay. Right now I would say I'm tired and less energetic, but this likely has to do with a change in hormone replacement medication I take. I also didn't get any diarrhea.

I went to the store and got natural calm, which is magnesium citrate. They say work your way up from 1/2 a teaspoon to 2 teaspoons but I did start off with 1 teaspoon. I took it just a moment ago.

I will keep all you guys updated with how my weekend goes, whether it's good, bad, or indifferent. I'm trying not to even think about it and just go about my day without any expectations.

Okay so it has been7 hours since I took this. I took 1 teaspoon of magnesium citrate (daily recommendation is to work up to 2 teaspoon).

I actually felt worse after I took it. Kind of a little more anxious and some minor shaking. I was able to do some driving today (I've been struggling with that lately) and was able to get on highways, which I haven't been able to do since I got off gabapentin. I then drove over a bridge which led to a bit of a panic attack which had some residual effects for a few hours.

I do feel like I have a little more energy and am thinking a little more clearly today, but that could just be coincidential with my hormone replacement treatment (it can really fuck up energy and cognitive abilities). In the end I don't know.

But I definitely felt worse after I took it. Did I take too much/too little?

I just picked up some Vitamin B12 and took it. Will let you know if that does anything.

I have no clue what happened or about the anxiety. Magnesium is proven to treat anxiety. It's the original chill pill. If I were you, I'd keep on taking it. Since it's a fact that Gabapentin depletes your magnesium.

It's normal to not get diarrhea from oxide, but citrate is a great way for me to go if I'm too constipated from doing opiates.

I'm glad that you feel better, regardless of what it is that's helping you feel better. Gabapentin withdrawal is hell from the research I've done.

Ok so here is how the rest of my day went...

I did some more driving and did okay, kind of struggled a bit on the highways. While I was driving I picked up some vitamin b12 and took one. This was a 2500 dose.

Later on I went out with some friends. They picked me up and I had some anxiety on the ride to the bar. I didn't have any negative problems at the bar (I did not drink) and when we left I experienced the same anxiety in the car on the way back.

When I got home I took 6mg melatonin, a dose of magnesium oxide, and another vitamin b12. I went with the oxide because of how cruddy the natural calm had me earlier.

I'm laying in bed right now struggling to fall asleep (I took all this an hour ago). I have some irrational fears and some nausea , tingling on my right side, and a little jitteriness, but no nerve pain or heart palps.

I had the same problem yesterday; feeling shaky after taking magnesium. I woke up feeling great, however. Im obviously hoping for the same thing tomorrow.

Overall I'm happy with the progress today. Today is the first time I was able to drive on highways. I also had a LOT more energy and better cognitive skills than I did yesterday, but as I've said I think my hormone replacement medicine changes plays a role in that.

I just gotta figure out what to do with magnesium doses. I may just take it before bedtime. Also maybe the vitamin b12 isn't a good idea, could it have led to my anxiety when I was in the car to the bar?

As always, thank you all for your help. You've proven to be 1000000x more helpful than any doctor I've ever seen.

Here is day two...

I woke up feeling terrible. Jitteriness, anxiousness, chest pains, and just general feelings of lousiness. I had to take 9mg of melatonin last night and didn't fall asleep until like 5am so that caused a lot of tiredness today.

Throughout the day I had some derealization and anxiety, especially when I was riding in a car with my family. Cars seem to be a real trigger of anxiety for me. I have a weekend trip coming up in two weeks and am not too sure how I will handle the 3 hour car ride.

Aside from the derealization (which I have every day), I had some physical symptoms that were annoying like sporadic jitteriness and chest pains.

I don't think the magnesium and vitamin b12 are helping. If anything I have been feeling worse, especially in the few hours after I take them.

I may go to my doctor this week to see what my levels are of these things.

So today I dealt with quite a bit of symptoms; de realization, uncontrollable anger, jitteriness and shakiness, some cognitive impairment, and some tiredness

I tried to drive today and had some major difficulties with panic and anxiety.

I haven't taken any magnesium or vitamin b12 since Saturday. I'm going to go to my doctor tomorrow to see what deficiencies I may have.

The de realization is pretty bad, the panic and anxiety are brutal, the cognitive impairment is extremely frustrating and tough to deal with, and the jitteriness is just annoying.

Yesterday I went to the doctor and got a shot of Vitamin B12. I also took 3 teaspoons of the natural calm magnesium.

I felt okay throughout the evening but when I tried to go to bed I had some real nasty de realization and irrational thoughts and fears. Today I woke up with real nasty physical symptoms and have largely been unable to get out of bed today.

Idk if any of these are revving up my symptoms but I definitely feel worse. Maybe the vitamin b12 is no good?

Maybe you should go back on the gaba and taper. I cut 300 Mgs every two weeks. It usually takes me about a week to adjust but once that week is over I am feeling decent. I am still taking benzos though which may be helping.

When my vacation is over I plan on going from 600 to 300. I am determined. Sad to hear the magnesium hasn't helped much. I was thinking about ordering some good magnesium online but it is pretty expensive.

I'm not a doctor, but it seems jumping back on would do more harm than good at this point. You've been off for months haven't you?

Personally I wouldn't get back on it. I think your best bet is to just wait it out. Have you tried kava kava? I'm having slight withdrawal from my 9 month phenibut habit and kava is pretty much eliminating it. I tapered very slowly off the phen tho.

I just can't believe I'm experiencing this from 7 weeks of use.

I would say the psychological torture is the worst of this all. Between de realization and irrational fears and cognitive impairment, it makes it very tough just to fall asleep or just get through the day

I've been looking up gabapentin withdrawal and your case seems to be an exception. Most seem to get better within a month. The best I can figure is the benzo w/d you had before getting on gabapentin is having something to do with this. Either that or you're highly sensitive to the rebound effects of gabapentin.

Either way, I know it sucks. I wish you the best in your recovery.