• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Fastest speed in a car ?

A friend of mine had an early '90s saab 900 turbo. I never got to see it go above 85, but it seemed like a lot of fun.

My scariest drive for me was taking my lifted '74 CJ5 with a loose steering column and manual everything , with no doors and the windshield down, 40 MPH in the woods down deer trails.

I thought about top speeds a little today..

Top speed mph
Skies 63
Dirt bike off road. 98
Snowmobile 107
Highest speeding ticket 99, it was in a 75 so 1 mph away from a reckless driving.. pleaded down to allowing another person to drive an uninsured vehicle. . No points and 55 dollar court cost... well that and the money for my lawyer.. I fucking love my lawyers.. need to get them a christmas card now that I think of it.

EDIT: 123 mph free fall.

Last edited:
I don't drive but my Dad once went 115mph on a Highland road in his Triumph Stag with the roof down... not clever but was quite exhilarating when I was younger. He used to race motorbikes when he was younger himself, so I suspect that's why he liked going fast sometimes but he doesn't anymore now he has got older.

If I do start driving at some point (got my licence but no car) I'm the sort of person who would stick to limits for obvious reasons. Don't see the point speeding - it endangers yourself & others.

I think I got up to 30+ mph on my bike down a hill. lulz
Yea id say that i topped out at around 30 downhill on a bike. Each time i do, i remember that the fastest human reached 27 mph running on foot. Thats pretty sick imo

Going fast on a bike is scary. I had a bike with one of those small 2 cycle engines on it. Got it up to almost 40 (on my GPS). Thing was bouncing all over, praying I didn't hit a pot hole. And if I had to stop, well... god help me with friction brakes.

^ Lol that reminds me once I hit the back of a car with both of my hands out in front of me when rollerblading and shattered both back taillights, I was going downhill fast, meh I was a newbie at rollerblading at the time IDGAF I used my own brakes =D .

Yea id say that i topped out at around 30 downhill on a bike. Each time i do, i remember that the fastest human reached 27 mph running on foot. Thats pretty sick imo

Yeah, the fastest I know I've been on a bike is 27mph as it happens although I'm sure I've broken 30mph without having my Runtastic App on. Was having to slow down for cars in front. =D

For a bicycle, the fastest I've actually recorded on a speedometer was around 43 mph going down one of the steep hills in the Marin Headlands. I know I've gone faster than that on other, steeper, longer descents, but I don't think I've ever gone over 50 mph.

Would have been on one of my drives through Germany, Autobahn. Cruising at 130/150mph, maintaining braking distance. Eats up miles.

I've ridden bikes to similar indicated speeds, but usually keep it far more sensible than that.

~193mph in a single turbo converted FD3S. Was like floating over glass with how smooth it was at that speed. Very weird feeling.

I think both M roadster and M Coupe 120+ many times and at least one of closer to 140 ... limited at 155 i believe. Anyhow that speed is stupid if not on a racetrack.

I was thinking the same about getting a single turbo rx-7 up near 200mph, especially smoothly.

@snakeyes: What were the vehicles?

I think we all know speed is stupid. However, most of us were stupid teenagers at one point too.

Lamborghini Espada Mk 3, driving, 160mph, owner driving 180mph. I've been more scared in a Mazda Capella (rotary) at 140 and even more so at 120 in a Mini Cooper S.

Things were different back then... also country roads... :D

I thought it was BS too but FDS have enough gear to hit just over 200. He said it was making like 550 to the wheels which is enough to power most cars to the 200 mph mark.