• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can Lsd make you crazy?

^--That's why most users who 'mature out' of taking LSD do so because the trips grow increasingly more and more frightening with time.

According to a reliable LSD dealer I used to know, if you do a thumbprint (which is a high dose btw) you WILL lose your mind. That's exactly what he told me. I never had the opportunity to take one, either, which may have been for the best. One thing I did notice about my trips is that they would pick up where I left off the last time, and they got increasingly hard to integrate, with too many scary and disconcerting ideas and thoughts. However, the '7am sunrise' spiritual revelations I got out of it were worth every penny. I'm pretty sure at least half the kids buying 'LSD' on the darknet or at a music festival somewhere are not getting the real deal and, in fact, haven't a clue as to what real LSD is really like. If you have anxiety already, taking LSD will only make it worse. That's just common sense advice.

^^
But you do realise that just because he's selling LSD it doesn't mean his word is gospel? He obviously thinks that you just keep triipping harder and harder the more you take - that's complete bullshit. The brain only has so many receptors, once those are full the rest just floats round your body until you piss it out.

I'm pretty sure at least half the kids buying 'LSD' on the darknet

Why is that more likely on the darknet that buying it off some street dealer? Isn't it impossible to sell bunk LSD on the darknet because there's a thousand reviews of the acid you're selling?

If you have anxiety already, taking LSD will only make it worse. That's just common sense advice.

Nah, that's bollocks mate. LSD can give you the greatest laughter and most wonderful euphoria a human being can ever experience in life. That's pretty good for anxiety and depression.

^--That's why most users who 'mature out' of taking LSD do so because the trips grow increasingly more and more frightening with time.

I've never heard that theory before - do you have a bit more evidence for it?

Last edited:
Yes, LSD did give me 'the greatest laughter and most wonderful euphoria,' but it also gave me loads of anxiety and the euphoria was only present when I was coming down and getting ahold of my sanity again. I also find that LSD brings me closer to God. As for the 'maturing out' comment, I read about it in a book in the science library at my university and later saw one of my close friends freak out very, very badly and then give it up for good. I asked him why he stopped, and he said, 'Just keep on taking it, and you'll see.' Sure enough, soon thereafter I thought I saw worms slithering beneath the skin on my face whilst tripping balls. That was it for me. I 'matured out' from then on. Now, 12 years later, however, I would be happy to take up to 300ug of some quality LSD if it ever comes my way. I don't want to have to turn to the darknet, though, to get it. I wouldn't even know the correct address for drug dealing websites there anyway.

^^
But that happens in all walks of life doesn't it. Some people get divorced, some people are happily married for 50 years. Just because you got divorced from LSD doesn't mean we all should.

Your choice about the darknet, if you'd prefer to wait another 30 years until you meet someone on the street with it then that's ok.

Not to brag or dicksize, but I probably still have a family acid connection. Just gotta go in person and inquire.

Go for it Dresden!

PS Why are you going back after you were terrified enough to stop taking it?

I've gone totally bonkers during an LSD high (I mean really psychotic). Enough to make me never want to take it again. But I did regain my sanity 24 hours later.

I'd say dissociatives like MXE or 3-MeO-PCP are incredibly much more likely to induce a psychosis-like episode... although it is perhaps hard to compare relative overdose quantities.

For the record, even if the LSD experience can be shown to be biphasic, I'm skeptical about trying to cut it up in serotonergic and dopaminergic..

Yeah, I totally agree, though I can't really help defining various effects as such. Useless in describing anything actually real...

I should have noted that I am also referring to effects of different classes of drugs besides psychedelics. For example, the mixing of a high dose of promethazine and codeine seemed to induce some weird effects whereby I felt complelled to repeat certain actions (smoking cigarettes, constructing fictitious musical projects, fine-tuning that motherfucking single synth note for hours) in a way that feels so stimulant like, I feel convinced that some weird dopaminergic effect is manifesting. My skin would feel completely smooth, my muscles were very relaxed (almost painfully) and vision was fucking gone, but my mind was engaged and incredibly sedated and stimulated simultaneously. Not sure why I am even mentioning this, its a really strange feeling that I have not experienced for years, but it seemed relevant. Was it? Who knows...:\

Has nobody yet decried lack of LSD as main contributor towards craziness....? That's a bad joke that fucking needs to be made :)

Some of the same receptors... however LSD binds to far more of them including fairly strongly to dopamine receptors, which is detrimental to those suffering from psychosis. The main similarity is that they both bind strongly to 5-HT2a (the serotonin receptor subtype thought to be primarily responsible for psychedelic effects).

If that's the case then DXM and MDMA should fuck up a lot of people permanently because both Serotonin and Dopamine receptors are heavily affected.

I don't think Acid makes people crazy. All drugs can contribute. I know a girl who got psychosis after smoking weed and sleep deprivation. Weed is a much weaker drug in terms of mind warping and can help to cause HPPD, psychosis and dissociative illnesses. If Weed can LSD certainly can.

I am 100% sure that most people who get mental problems have a family history or genetic predisposition to mental illnesses. And many have underlying mental health problems. It like heart problems, they may not be visible but somehow a serious problem or incident occurs and without any signs they go into Cardiac Arrest.

A number of people also get lucky and receive temporary psychosis. They most likely have underlying problems but many times it never occurs again and they can use hallucinogens afterwards with no severe reactions. I believe that there is also a role for self control, and mental toughness. Many people can't even handle controlling Cannabis paranoia so when taking these stronger substance they might lose touch with reality. People freaking out in the middle of trips, may be due to a lack to mental control and people allowing anxiety to get the best of them. No doubt anxiety on Shrooms and LSD is strong when mentally challenging thoughts race but if people never face their problems it will get worse and depression and oppositely psychosis may result. I remember when I first started smoking weed back in Jamaica. I used to sweat heavily for few minutes then almost black out, not see anything but darkness for a few seconds. Then there was a time when I remember that feeling approaching and attempted to tell my brain to stop it. It didn't stop it (never happened again) but I figured out you can genuinely control your brain and it's behaviour to some extent if you try and don't get overthrown by the events happening (delirious confusion).

I'd say dissociatives like MXE or 3-MeO-PCP are incredibly much more likely to induce a psychosis-like episode... although it is perhaps hard to compare relative overdose quantities.

Wtf. You have me confused. Most reports of temporary psychosis come from usage of Serotonin Psychedelics followed by Marijuana (mainly because of its popularity over other drugs).

If anything dissociative should help to cause dissociative disorders and illnesses.

Probably say the most likely to cause problems would be Deliriants, I could easily see a loss of mental clarity and health from constant usage. Abuse DPH every weekend for a few months and mental problems will develop in anybody.

Also what about Stimulants and Depressants. Delirium induced from them and withdrawals/addictions easily lead to mental problems.

ah the whole lsd / craziness/ psychosis debate...
I can say I have a fair amount of experience with this, as I was diagnosed with a personality disorder very young and have been seen for it all my life.Some would think I'm bipolar not knowing me well, but I have distinctive personality traits in strong emotional states.It has been referred to as dissociative identity disorder, however I do not have names or dramatic switches like in the movies.

As for my experience with lsd and psychedelic drugs, they have not made my mental health easier to cope with. On one occasion I came up and a partially painted red wall turned in my room started talking to me, I recognized it as my minds ego as it was telling me very specific to my self and insecurities. It wouldn't stop so I decided i must paint over it. with some silver paint i found in my garage and using makeup brushes. this was a mess, and i decided to try to remove all the paint with nail polish remover, all while getting in a panic telling the wall to fucking stop. lol thats when friends point fingers and claim your the crazy one . i have had many experiences where i am able to cope with lsd, and many when i just totally fucking lose it. its a risk , is it worth taking? thats the decision you must make.

^^
Do you tend to lose it when you're not on LSD too?

I've never lost it on LSD - and I've taken it more times than the popes jerked off.

I can see LSD causing psychotic-like symptoms as it's a D2 agonist. D2 antagonists like haloperidol are used as antipsychotics, so an agonist will probably cause psychotic-like symptoms. Also, the cause of stimulant psychosis is thought to be, at least in part, the over activation of D2 receptors.

We also know that LSD is a 5-HT2A agonist. The 5-HT2A receptor is also implicated in mediating psychosis and is an additional target, the other being D2, for second generation antipsychotics. 5-HT2A antagonists have been shown to reduce psychotic-like symptoms.

A full blown psychotic break seems most likely in those genetically predisposed though. If D2 and 5-HT2A agonism of LSD were enough to cause a psychotic break we'd see the opposite of what's true. We'd see that most people that take LSD do experience psychotic breaks, which is definitely not the case. Having irregular D2 and/or 5-HT2A activity due to genetics, and D2 + 5-HT2A agonism by LSD is what seems to be needed, in part, for LSD to cause a psychotic break.

I actually don?t agree with the last part of what you said.

I had a horrible, terrifying trip around October on 300mics. I did acid again 2 days ago, 100mics thinking that if I opened up those pathways in my brain again, but have a positive experience, it would heal the mental wound I acquired that night.

Well, I experienced ego death, and this time I let go, because I had done more research, gained respect for the drug and what it does to your brain, and recognized the tell tale signs of the upcoming experience. Keep in mind, I have had almost debilitating anxiety for 8 years.

Today, I do not feel the same at all. I feel reborn. I am positive, optimistic, extremely blessed and grateful. I feel connected, present in the moment, serene, grounded, and confident. I feel joy and unconditional love from the universe. I no longer have constant anxious thoughts that others are judging me when I go out in public, or that I am a nervous piece of shit.

I feel that if used correctly, carefully, and with knowledge - LSD can be a powerful tool to overcome obstacles in life, and overcome yourSELF.

Love and light ☺️❤️

just my 2 cents about that :

If all, I'm not the most sane person on earth. Ive not much discussed that here (I'm not well known here anyway) because of the stigma of drug user + psy diagnosis, but I got various diagnosis, from possible schizotypal, BPIII suspicion, to simple neurosis (in reality I just don't want to wage slave and was looking for a girlfriend). A form of dysthymia is at the very least expected, and I'm treated for it with 100mg amilsupride a day (work very well, I'm 99% asymptomatic).

I didn't took 5ht2a since something like 9 month, but 2 years ago, I was taking FUCKTON of it. 500mcg ALD52 trips, overdosed on 150mg tryptamine 4acoDMT 4hoMET mix (accident), one time I even ate the entire bag of 4hoMET on a benzo binge, resulting in the need of even more blackout or I would have lost my shit (took at least 300mg, effect can't be described in words even on benzo). At the end of my psyche journey, I was totalling 50mg to 100mg (with the exceptionnal 150/200) 4hoMET 4acoDMT each 3 day, using tolerance for not going too much insane (done it for 2 month or 3 with small pause). As you understand, I like 5ht2a.

5ht2a is the ONLY class of drugs that didn't had any detrimental effect in health. With stim, I can't take the comedown anymore, hard dissociative begin to have a bit the same problem (experienced dissociation episode for 1 to 3 week after the comedown, I didn't see many things about that, didn't know it was possible), I experienced DP/DR one time from cannabis, MDMA and 3mmc fucked me for 3 week, I got DP/DR from Salvia for 4 month 2 times, and I'm hooked on opiate (tapering, I want my way out of drugs now).
But even with these "basis", susceptibility to DP/DR, mental health possible problem, if I take 5ht2a, I know 48h after, I'm normal. I hope it will stay the same way as it's the only drug I want to continue to use (but with moderation now)

Last edited:
^ Yeah, IMO chronic weed smoking is a bit underrated in terms of negative impacts on mental health. Lots of people are chronic and are absolutely fine, it just seems like it doesn't work out well for some people. A lot of chronic weed smokers get into fairly harmless delusional thoughts/schemes (goofy conspiracy theories etc), but some get into a bit destructive and outright paranoid delusional thought patterns.

I wonder if it's just the fact that weed *can* be smoked chronically. I guess chronic use of ketamine, cocaine, or alchohol also can leads to paranoid delusions, mental un-health. Maybe it's not so much the drug itself, as the chronic use a drug. (I'm glad coffee doesn't make me too nuts).

Some people get into chronic LSD use, but apparently it's pretty hard to actually trip off of it if you use it all the time, so that might be something in favour of LSD (and other trippy 5-HT drugs) not being TOO bad for your mind.

There is some study that shows a correlation between LSD use and positive mental health. Not sure if they were able to show any causation (mentally healthy or privileged people might just use LSD more).

Some heavy k-heads that I met were very strange people. Stim addicts are special too.