View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can Lsd make you crazy?

Chrisstoner420

Greenlighter
I've done my fair share of acid. Most I think 3-4 hits over 3 yrs ago. Total of 10-15 trips never have any and Bad side effects. I know a old friend who was tripping with few friends and his brother. They were playing with gas. ( idiots lol) my friend ended up lighting his brother on fire his whole arm was engulfed in flames. Got third degree burns an shit.. But anyways, he literally went crazy after. Got checked into a mental home, it's like he's a complete different person.. So I see him about a month ago (after not for 4 or so yrs) he is literally like a special child. He acted like a kid. And described me that I look different, he lifts his arm up and says "look at my muscles! And flexes" lol I talked to him as if he was a "special" kid he gained probably close to 100 lbs id say In the 250 lbs range opposed to 170ish back then. He goes " so when can we chill? In a day? Two days? A year?.. Ok man hit you up next Easter!" It was insane to see how much he changed from that night..

Another guy I know. Started off a pretty normal guy did so much acid. He is like a religious freak now thinks he's connected to God an shit. Posts on Facebook all this god shit and comments on his own posts like 20 times like he's talking with someone. He also use to think the medicine he took was so the government could listen in on him.. Lol

To sum it up they both are fucked. What is your guys views on this? Was it from the acid? Or some bad shit going down during the trip.

Some peoples minds are simply not able to handle the stresses placed on them by LSD is my theory.
Genetic predisposition to mental illness definitely plays a role as well.
To say LSD was the direct cause of his current mental state is a stretch, but such events, although extremely rare, unfortunately do happen.
I'm very interested to find out the role LSD actually plays in these events, although the fields of neuroscience and pharmocology have only come so far

I found the opposite effect actually. After I took LSD, it caused everyone to go crazy except me.

You usually find these "He took acid once and now thinks he's a glass of orange juice" stories are bollocks. If LSD made people mentally ill you would have seen an absolute explosion in mental illness during the last 50 years when LSD was heavily used. There wasn't one.

It's easier for people to say "He took LSD and never came back" because it sounds a lot more exciting then "He's got schizophrenia".

LSD is simply the catalyst behind the entire orange juice industry.

LSD doesn't make you crazy, but it can sure bring out the crazy that hides under the surface.

Nah LSD doesn't bring out crazy. It can lead you to some crazy ideas, and if you then start thinking that those ideas are worth holding onto, you can appear a bit insane to others. I had a phase like that when I was trying to figure myself out. I think it's just a phase some people go through though. Once you've not tripped for a while you tend to let go of these ideas again and go back to being "normal". Some people never grow up though and might never let go... Sort of depends I guess.

The NIMH cited prevalance Rate for schizophrenia is approximately 1.1% of the population over the age of 18. Since the typical age of onset for males is between 16 and 25 years old, I think in some cases LSD could have acted to bring some delusional thoughts in susceptible people to the surface. They may have entertained these thoughts before taking LSD, but the introspective aspects of a trip may have lessened their social inhibitions that were subconsciously holding back these strange thoughts and they may have taken hold.

I think we have to admit, as fans of these substances, that even if only 'at risk' individuals are affected, it is still fair to describe a drug (or event x) as a precipitating factor (even cause) of psychosis. If these things have the benefits that so many of us believe them to have, it is unsurprising that they have risks, and it is quite possible that the risk of 'going crazy' is among them.

One can imagine a spectrum of mind states, from depressed (stagnant, realistic) to schizophrenic (creative, delusional). Psychedelics promote creativity, and they also push you towards craziness. Many (if not most) people in the world could do with a gentle nudge in this direction, others less so.

Acid probably didn't make him go nuts, but lighting his brother on fire probably did...LSD didn't help either though, just bad timing...don't mix gasoline and LSD and light your brother on fire is probably good advice.
As for "Jesus"...maybe he IS...?

Trauma? PTSD? Psychedelic Drugs might turn out to be this cure as well then?

You usually find these "He took acid once and now thinks he's a glass of orange juice" stories are bollocks. If LSD made people mentally ill you would have seen an absolute explosion in mental illness during the last 50 years when LSD was heavily used. There wasn't one.

It's easier for people to say "He took LSD and never came back" because it sounds a lot more exciting then "He's got schizophrenia".

Add to the fact this person has posted once & sodded off, smells a bit of troll.

I heard from a trusted source that if a white person travelled on the trains in Cape Town, they were liable to end up murdered by black or mixed race people on drugs. Dunno whether it was the drugs or not, but the black & mixed race people were nothing but nice to us & the whites turned out to be a buncha paranoid, grasping, greedy, racist, inbred twats. Plenty of cool hippy types there too though. Basically, you can't trust everything you hear, even my crap about racists is exagerated for effect!

I used LSD myself, carefully, to find out for myself what it was about, after reading TONS of subjective reports & medical trials material... & I went to Cape Town to travel the trains for myself. I'm unscathed thus far from my adventures.

Psychedelics can, in my (recent :p) experience, cause a protracted stress reaction that lasts for up to a couple weeks, but even after more-or-less losing it and going to a mental hospital, I walked out okay and was fine without any medication for a few days until I could see a shrink who I actually trusted. Mostly I needed to be around people who I trusted and experience comfortable social interaction for a while until I lost what felt like a fear of all the people around me (they had, after all, called the cops on me for what, at the time, felt like no reason).

In the end, the psychiatrist said he was more concerned about my habit of smoking weed every day than he was about the symptoms that came after the bad trip.
Who knew?

^ Yeah, IMO chronic weed smoking is a bit underrated in terms of negative impacts on mental health. Lots of people are chronic and are absolutely fine, it just seems like it doesn't work out well for some people. A lot of chronic weed smokers get into fairly harmless delusional thoughts/schemes (goofy conspiracy theories etc), but some get into a bit destructive and outright paranoid delusional thought patterns.

I wonder if it's just the fact that weed *can* be smoked chronically. I guess chronic use of ketamine, cocaine, or alchohol also can leads to paranoid delusions, mental un-health. Maybe it's not so much the drug itself, as the chronic use a drug. (I'm glad coffee doesn't make me too nuts).

Some people get into chronic LSD use, but apparently it's pretty hard to actually trip off of it if you use it all the time, so that might be something in favour of LSD (and other trippy 5-HT drugs) not being TOO bad for your mind.

There is some study that shows a correlation between LSD use and positive mental health. Not sure if they were able to show any causation (mentally healthy or privileged people might just use LSD more).

Last edited:
Well mushrooms activate some kind of neurological regeneration, which might be helpful in schizophrenia sufferers, who are suffering from neurological damage and defects. I don't know if LSD does the same, though it binds to the same receptors.

Well mushrooms activate some kind of neurological regeneration, which might be helpful in schizophrenia sufferers, who are suffering from neurological damage and defects. I don't know if LSD does the same, though it binds to the same receptors.

Even if it doesn't, LSD is highly effective alleviating end-of-life anxiety in those suffering a terminal illness. If that isn't a beneficial psychological effect, I don't know what is!

edit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AboBRvj_8MI

Last edited:

Some of the same receptors... however LSD binds to far more of them including fairly strongly to dopamine receptors, which is detrimental to those suffering from psychosis. The main similarity is that they both bind strongly to 5-HT2a (the serotonin receptor subtype thought to be primarily responsible for psychedelic effects).

How does Al-Lad compare to LSD in that department dude? Does Al-Lad have the same degree of effect on the dopaminergic system as LSD? Do we even know???