• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What drug do you think most closely simulates "runner's high"?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
I was just curious about what drugs most closely simulate the "runners high" and rush of endorphins and mood lift one gets from exercising?

I try to exercise as much as I can, and clearly that's probably the most healthy alternative, but I was still curious if there are drugs out there that mimic these effects so one could have that lift even more often.

I have heard people say that weed does that, but I think that's ridiculous as it has the COMPLETE opposite effect for me.

I am guessing some might say stimulants like ephedrine or dexedrine.

I never really found dexedrine to be like runners high though, in the sense that I feel relaxed all day after a really hard work out, not strung out.

Thanks

Opioids. Your body releases beta-endorphins which bind to your bodies natural opiate receptors causing the mild effects induced by morphine, oxycodone, hydromorphone, heroin, etc.

If you use the search function you should be able to find a lot more info on this. But because this is so vague and a kind of one-answer type deal not pertaining to HR, I'm closing this thread.

cannabinoids too?

I'm gonna move this to Drug Culture, I think it'd be a fun topic.

Well I mean the easiest way to acheive a runner's high... is to run. Why take drugs if you're after something like that?

But in interest of discussion, I'd say cannabis. At least when I run, I get more of a cannabinoid feel than an opioid sensation.

ive always compared runners high to a nice hit of the ol' bong

lift some weights, shit don't be a bitch. nothing simulates the runners high because they all produce craving and such.

lift some weights, shit don't be a bitch. nothing simulates the runners high because they all produce craving and such.

Trust me, I do plenty of exercise, including Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai and MMA training so I'm no "bitch".

However, I am injured so I can't right now and basically just have physical therapy to get me that high.

I'm still shocked however that anyone feels like weed feels anything like a runner's high to them, or Nitrous.

I guess brain chemistries will differ but to me those couldn't be more opposite.

I can't say for certain, but I bet a combo of .1g good marijuana, 200mg 5-HTP, and half a beer would do it for decent 30 minute walk (take all three within five minutes of each other, wait 20 mins) though I'm almost tempted to say 5-HTP more so than the others.

I can't say for certain, but I bet a combo of .1g good marijuana, 200mg 5-HTP, and half a beer would do it for decent 30 minute walk (take all three within five minutes of each other, wait 20 mins) though I'm almost tempted to say 5-HTP more so than the others.

What type of experience does 5-HTP produce?

Just curious.

Never tried it or heard of it.

I never had a runners high or a high from working out.. lol, but if I had to guess... I'd say nitrous. Meh, idk.. nitrous is more of a high similar to a lack of oxygen high.
You know what? Who the fuck knows, man.. Maybe a runners high isn't like any kind of drug..

Mycophile your answer is phenyletylamine. Quote: " This natural neuroamine is also pinpointed as the cause why runners feel "high" when running or the good feeling you get when you exercise. This is because more of it is released into the bloodstream during physical exertion. That is why, phenylethylamine has become a part of the pre-workout fix of many bodybuilders to heighten their training performance"
Source: http://phenylethylamine.webs.com/

Opiates definitely, as said before the body releases it's own endogenous opiates when you run so naturally this will come closest. Though there is nothing but trouble barking up that tree so I urge you to just stay away.

Kratom also comes close.

Taking a high dose of magnesium supplements can also simulate runners high, albeit poorly. (it will make you warm and sedated)

Opiates definitely, as said before the body releases it's own endogenous opiates when you run so naturally this will come closest. Though there is nothing but trouble barking up that tree so I urge you to just stay away.

Kratom also comes close.

Taking a high dose of magnesium supplements can also simulate runners high, albeit poorly. (it will make you warm and sedated)

Opiates are only simular to the post run sedation imo, after you've walked it off grabbeb some water and sat on the couch.

N20 and weed give that head rush you get while your body is fighting to pump oxygen to your brain during a run imho.

Last edited:
I don't get runners highs even if i run 5 miles straight
I don't get endorphins for some reason