• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What drug do you think most closely simulates "runner's high"?

I don't feel high while running, but I'm walking on cloud 9 all day afterwards. I feel great after coming down on quite a few substances, but weed in particular feels closest to a "runners high".

Heh, I guess it gives my mind an intense workout and leaves it feeling fatigued. If I blaze in the morning, I'll feel great by the afternoon and into the evening.

I do brazilian jiu jitsu pretty much every day and I have to say after a really intense sparring session driving home feels just like the very beginning of an MDMA come-up. Its quite wonderful.

Def Opiates for me. I remember when i first started running a couple years ago feeling like i had just popped a Vicodin or two after a good run.

Weed probs. I used to captain my high schools cross country team and wasn't no slouch. the feeling after a long progression run is real similar to certain types of grass. Its also kinda unique, and I can't perfectly replicate the feeling after a hard cardio sesh with drugs. That's the reason I'll still occasionally go running.

I can only get a runner's high from running on amphetamines. I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet. You feel like you are soaring sometimes.

How the fuck would cannabis or sedatives cause a runner's high? That is absurd. I can imagine a good dose of a stimulating opioid doing it maybe because of endorphins but Jesus...

How the fuck would cannabis or sedatives cause a runner's high? That is absurd. I can imagine a good dose of a stimulating opioid doing it maybe because of endorphins but Jesus...

Endocannabinoid receptors have been implicated in endorphin release. Quite straight forward really

Endocannabinoid receptors have been implicated in endorphin release. Quite straight forward really

Yeah you can go ahead and say that the science is there, but many people, myself included, don't feel that a runner's high feels at all like it.

I guess personal brain chemistry is at play.

^ I would agree that personal/individual brain chemistry could play the largest part in comparing experiences, over the substance and receptors in question.

It is ridiculous to pretend it is that simple. Just because some endocannabinoid receptors have a minimal effect on endorphin release doesn't mean mean cannabis doesn't have a plethora of other effects that dramatically influence the experience. If cannabis released a large amount of endorphins it would be considerably more habit forming than it is.

Its kinda the other way around. And i never personally said all weed feels like the runners high asthat would be ridiculous. There are way too many types. The straightforward part of it would explain why so mny ppl in the thread coincidentally agree, however. Its not like there is a right answer. I was just trying to explain it a bit. Sorry if i sounded dismissive of respective opinion...

I dunno, but you could sure use a few of them.

Cannabis, sativa-dominant strains.

Kratom; other stimulating opioids.

Low-dose dextroamphetamine/lisdexamfetamine. That smooth DA/NE-rush is reminiscent.

Last edited:
I never had a runners high or a high from working out.. lol, but if I had to guess... I'd say nitrous. Meh, idk.. nitrous is more of a high similar to a lack of oxygen high.
You know what? Who the fuck knows, man.. Maybe a runners high isn't like any kind of drug..

Anyone that runs and also uses substances might have an idea..
Obviously not you though.

I decided to do a 3-mile run tonight at midnight because the diphenhydramine wasnt putting me to sleep and Ive been planning on trying to get back in good shape.
Anyway, the only "runner's high" I ever get is also while Im severely out of breath, so it is never enjoyable.

Does anyone actually enjoy the feeling? Doesnt seem to last long enough to let me relax or enjoy it.

Though, doing an opiate after working out feels wonderful.

But if that lightheaded and warm body feeling is it, I'd say opiates (for warm body and endorphins), a little nitrous oxide (for light-headedness haha), and a freebase stimulant like methamphetamines (for the shaky and weirdish clear head rush feeling)

Though, of course, Im not advocating that WHATSOEVER, just hypthesizing the closest drug (combo) to the "runner's high" feeling I've experienced.

Cocaine, no question. The runner's high to me is a slow more easily plateaued coke high. That's why I run 4444 miles a day.

I remember when I was 15 or so, I used to do strenuous 40k bike rides, I was somewhat familiar with cannabis at the time. I remember listening to the song 'heroin' by the Velvet Underground while biking, thinking to myself "this must be what opiates feel like", I wasn't entirely wrong either..