• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸Should I Try HEROIN?⫷

I wouldn't worry about physical dependency in the short term...I'd be more worried that you're one of those people who's missing a heroin-shaped puzzle piece in your brain

Isn't that the truth.... I've been playing the opiate game for over 6+ years now, it's real old but I just can't stop completely... The last year I've been doing H hard and it's been the worst year of my life, when it was just pills, pods, whatever I had it somewhat in control but now my tolerance is so high that my subs barely do shit for me. I can easily do 1.75g a day, or more, of some decent Canadian H.

If you're thinking of trying H and you already like opiates... don't do it!! I know that this won't discourage anyone as we've all been there and we would all still do it but you can't say we didn't warn you. It took me about 6 months of doing H every day to switch to the needle, which I despised before, and now I won't get high any other way...

I left the area and moved to the middle of nowhere with no connects, great plan until I found that the mailman became my new connect.. Nothing gets me more excited than the sound of the mail truck these days. It's somewhat in control now as I have to plan it out better but I'm still doing H 4/7 days a week.

Last edited:
I'd like to say that I did in fact try heroin, I was doing it for about 4 months and this may sound crazy but I wasn't physically addicted. I didn't crave it, it wasn't an every day experience and I just did it with my friends to get high. Nevertheless I'm sensitive to opiates and it made me super sick to my stomach, but I never used a needle, just sniffed it. I'm happy to say I quit all on my own! And if I ever do it again it'll be for social reasons.
I believe you can be in control of your drugs.

I don't think what you described is being in control with all due respect.
You used it for a limited period of time and described as being sensitive to opiates.
There are people who actually dislike opiates IMO and from my experience.
People who feel nausea and if this is not your DOC. Good for you. You were lucky.
Some people die on their first experiences. Lots of people.

Oh no, I'm not saying I WAS in control. I said I believe you CAN be in control. It was pretty terrible from a mental aspect, coming down and wanting to get high all over again, then going through withdrawal was like sitting in a bench in hell. I was just saying that I am one of the few that brought themselves back from the low point I was at, and even with the horrible nausea I continued to use it. :(

Ok Cannabliss, I understand what you mean.
Hope you have come to terms with this! :)

Dont try heroin..... Ive seen friends overdose and die. Itll take over your life.... srsly

Man, you know what the drawing of Dante's Inferno looks like?? That's opiate withdrawal man!!!! Makes you think you're gonna die bro. No other word summarizes opiate withdrawal as well as "dying". Whew, I wish I had never.

Well, I have been in withdrawal from Methadone for a month. That's hell!!
And what comes after is not easy to deal. So I know what I'm saying.

Done that after countless times being on withdrawals from hardcore opiates including H, and more specifically Fentanyl. Much stronger than Morphine or heroin. Unfortunately I was hooked to both.

In these cases thought there's life after death, so to speak.
It's fuc**ing hard, I know!! But it the only way out.

Still if you want an easier deal, go for Subs, for instance. Been there man!

Last edited:
Are you replacing the Methadone with anything to wean you off, making the withdrawal a little less horrible?

Wow-that is an amazing, 100% true and incredibly well-written. Indeed "I'm sure glad I tried heroin" never has come out of my mouth. I appreciated the levity-as I'm feeling depressed today. After a year and three months clean, I am feeling the weight of the complete and total destruction I did to my life...by using heroin. Wishing I could go back and make different choices.

When I read posts from others at those crossroads....I feel this deep sadness. I remember standing there. Very well written. Thankyou.

Are you replacing the Methadone with anything to wean you off, making the withdrawal a little less horrible?

Have done it in January/February.
Have weaned down with lots of medicines in the hospital and later as an in-and out-patient.
One of the most difficult things I have ever done in my life. Have tried it before numerous times without success.

After dealing with the worst moments, weeks -- they started to slow down the benzos, antidepressant, etc, etc. Started therapy and finally 3-4 months later, exercises.
It took me almost three months to get this shit out my system.
I'm now 9 months sober.

Last edited:
I was a heroin addict from 13-17... I switched over from oxy and hydrocodone, thinking it wouldn't make that much of a difference. Well, it made all the difference. In many ways, I'm grateful that it brought me down so damn quickly. I'm glad I got burned by it at an earlier age, and with enough pain to make an impression that's kept me away from it for 8 years. I've used and enjoyed other opiates on occasion since then, but it took a long time for me to realize that there is such a thing as feeling "too good." Does heroin feel good? Of course. And in that truth, hides its peril.

Eventually, for me, nothing else could fill the growing void in me and my life, and the law of diminishing returns locked me in a futile search to recapture what I had initially experienced. Then, I was no longer congruent with myself as a person. Part of me continued seeking, while the other part was left to struggle with a divided and diminished self. And the aloneness a person might feel in such times is almost as inexplicable as it is unbearable.

A friend of mine (who has also moved on from it) has made a good case for when it might be appropriate and acceptable to use this chemical, and if you've ever seen Little Miss Sunshine you have a model for this proposal... The idea is to color the golden years with a tint of amber. In the film, a grandfather uses it because he's already at the end of his life.
So, in the retirement home, with a body that is already in pain and deterioration, and with responsibilities to vocation, friends, and family fulfilled... then there might be something to be said for coloring those golden years with a little tint of amber. For me personally, "I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep..." I'll continue to choose life, and encourage others to do the same. I learned that, for me, not all opiates are created equal, and something about H is especially insidious and risky.

Before even trying H... ask yourself: For what purpose, really, do I want to do this? Can I achieve this purpose with any other means (maybe milder opioids, maybe a hobby or a date with someone sexy...)? What could I gain, what could I lose, and are the gains worth the potential losses? No one can or should tell you what to put inside your body... Our bodies are ours, our lives are ours, and––when the time comes––our deaths are ours, too. I'm not trying to be morbid, but I've observed and experienced enough to create a strong association between H and death... or, at least, some kind of existence which I cannot call "living." In fact, since quitting H, I have been through some very difficult times and even in my darkest moments I have seen suicide as preferable to the life of persistent loss that came with using heroin. Just my experience, and some philosophical/rhetorical foods for thought...
J

Last edited:
Not at all. It was very interesting to read about your experience.
I've seen the movie and I can relate to what you are talking about.
Good that you realized important things that others may take ages to understand.

Not at all. It was very interesting to read about your experience.
I've seen the movie and I can relate to what you are talking about.
Good that you realized important things that others may take ages to understand.

Thank you very much. That means a lot! Be well.

Been off the Doop for over 2 years w tHe HELLp of suboxone ...iv user for 4 yrs... for some reason the mistress haS been calling to me with her siren song(craving a big shot). 2 years without sticking a needle in my arm and still on suboxone maintenance out of nowhere severe obsessive craving rears its ugly head...wtf?! Should one try heroin?

If you want to get high as fuk and completely alter your life in a seemingly permanent and negative way(at least in my case) ...then yes try heroin....

but Damn that shit gets into your very core...I it feels like it totally changes your mind and body...if not permanently then at least for a long long time....can't believe I'm still considering it after All the turmoil it has caused myself and people that love me...

. my message to anyone that's going to take the plunge and push down the plunger if you R going to IV ANY DRUG BE SAFE AND STERILE...LEARN HOW TO INJECT AS SAFELY AS POSSIBLE...use fresh needles every time....some people come back from junkiedom....but I don't know many of them....good luck....and I'd be a liar if I said I didn't enjoy what heroin did for me temporally....but it seems like the negative aspects of heroin are not so temporary... and for your own sake.... use fresh needles every time... and micron filters if possible... Although I never personally did... all I did was dodge a bullet on that one.. Bu it's all about harm reduction and education... I sure am thankful for bluelight... and cats like Captain heroin.... some of us might be old junkies but we learned a little something along the way ;-)

No. Do something else. Cravings last for half an hour or so from my experience. Keep postponing.
Indeed we learn a lot of things. Develop your own strategies, be strong!
Good luck!
Erik